PDA

View Full Version : Winter: to cone, or not to cone?

oktobergoud
November 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I've been wondering for quiet a while.. when it's winter, would it be better to NOT use cones or would it be better to use more of them?

I know, that sounds vague, but I mean it in a more 'technical' way. As in, cones protect your hair from heat, will it also protect your hair from the cold (or from the 'hot/cold/hot/cold' moments, from the frizz, the static?) or would it actually lock out moisture?

I'm a bit lost!

(Just to make sure, I use cones, but not too much. I do have a serum for damaged hair with cones it in, would that be good to use or should I rather just use coconut oil?)

I have fine hair that now becomes very 'light' and static, sometimes I just feel like it could fly away any second :P

caiti42
November 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I find I do the opposite and use oils in winter and cones in summer because the oils in summer make my hair too greasy. The other may work better for you :)

vally
November 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I don't know what "cone" is it ...
Is it like a butter (shea buttle for example ?).

Amber_Maiden
November 14th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I do cone in the winter, or rather from fall to winter, letting up a bit in the spring, and not coning at all in the summer. I use an organic silica from horsetail that is in the form of a serum.

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know what "cone" is it ...
Is it like a butter (shea buttle for example ?).

It's short for silicone. You can spot them in many commercial shampoo/conditioner ingredients lists - they end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. :)

isabelx
November 14th, 2011, 02:10 PM
As silicones lock out moisture, it depends on whether you're living in a dry or humid climate. Is it dry in winter where you live? if it is I'd refrain from using cones, as they lock out the moisture (if any) in the air.

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 02:13 PM
My hair dries out easily so I don't use cones. I just run a tiny bit of oil through the ends of my hair.

SoulOfTheSea
November 14th, 2011, 02:43 PM
This is an interesting topic. In the summer, cones worked WONDERFULLY on me, but now that it's chillier it just makes my hair dry looking and tangly. I'll stick with the oil for the cold months, and cones for the summer. Just in general, though, my hair is always awful in the cold and humid time of year, and my hair is best in spring and autumn.

MungoMania
November 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I ususually use cones but as the air dries out, I need less of them.

oktobergoud
November 15th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Mm, thanks guys! :) I think I'll try oil first, seems cones might dry it out!