PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clarify...

Lici1209
November 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM
with a sulfate shampoo? (If you do of course!) :)

jesis
November 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM
About once every 2 weeks.

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Never. I use ACV to clarify. I do that every couple of months, sometimes every month for a few weeks.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I use a diluted sulfate shampoo (vo5) a couple times a week on my head and maybe once a week on my length, if that.

CariadA
November 13th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I clarify once a month. I CO but I do use a coney serum occasionally so I still like to clairfy. I use VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze.

JuneBride
November 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I co-wash daily.
If I miss a day or put product in my hair or just get a little greasy, I will shampoo my scalp only with diluted shampoo.
About once a month I wash my hair with a bunch of undiluted shampoo....to "clairify."

PixxieStix
November 13th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I just spent forever in Ulta today looking for a parabean, sulfate, 'cone free shampoo today since the last bottle I purchased in April ran out and the salon where I usually buy Aveda at was closed, so I ended up with Abba and am excite to see how that goes. I'm mixing it with coconut oil and hope I like the results as much as I did with the Aveda. So, I have no idea if I've ever used a sulfate shampoo to clarify before, and honestly don't know if I ever have clarified my hair. >.> I guess I always thought that if my hair felt like it needed it I'd try baking soda, but maybe my last shampoo was good for clarifying? I would use it once every week/two weeks when I was trying CO because no matter what I felt like I ended up with buildup. *le sigh* Lol, don't know if that was a great answer.

SarahKayfa
November 13th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I use a clarifying shampoo once every other month (maybe?)

Lici1209
November 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks guys! I'm just trying to figure out a new routine. I've transitioned from washing every day with a sulfate shampoo to every other day with a sulfate-free shampoo and not using cones, but I think I need to clarify still once in awhile so I wanted to see what worked for everyone :]

I hope to hear how the Abba shampoo goes PixxieStix! I'm using Yes to Tomatoes!

Lostsoule77
November 13th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I use the Neutrogena clarifying shampoo to clarify and I tend to do it every 4th or 8th wash. I wash once a week. :)

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Never. I use ACV to clarify. I do that every couple of months, sometimes every month for a few weeks.

ACV doesn't clarify hair as far as I am aware, it is used to close the hair shaft and balance the pH of the scalp.

I clarify about once a fortnight with tresemme deep clean shampoo, I also have a cheleating shampoo which is also used to balance the pH and get rid of minerals i.e. Chlorine from swimming pools, hard water etc. I cheleate as and when!

ETA= please do correct me if i am wrong!

pepperminttea
November 14th, 2011, 08:25 AM
About every 2-4 months. My hair is not happy afterwards, even with a deep moisture treatment to try and offset the effects, so I do it as little as possible.

ACV doesn't clarify hair as far as I am aware, it is used to close the hair shaft and balance the pH of the scalp.

I clarify about once a fortnight with tresemme deep clean shampoo, I also have a cheleating shampoo which is also used to balance the pH and get rid of minerals i.e. Chlorine from swimming pools, hard water etc. I cheleate as and when!

ETA= please do correct me if i am wrong!

If I remember rightly, ACV is also a mild chelator. :) I don't think it clarifies though, Amber_Maiden? :hmm:

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM
^^ yes thats what I thought helps get rid of minerals in hard water etc

kanaka
November 14th, 2011, 09:03 AM
i use diluted sulfate shampoo twice a week (guess thats not you call clarify :confused:)

Hairwish
November 14th, 2011, 09:41 AM
A month ago I switched to a sls free shampoo and since then I never clarified. My hair doesn't seem to mind it.

swearnsue
November 14th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I use baking soda diluted with water every 4 to 6 weeks, depends on how my scalp feels. If it starts to get itchy I clarify. Also about every other time I henna I will clarify. It doesn't dry my hair, I use diluted vinegar after and tons of conditioner. It doesn't dry my hair YET because it is so short. When my hair gets longer I will try to put baking soda only on the scalp.

Silverdragn7385
November 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Every Sunday. My hair loves it. :p

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 11:44 AM
There's quite a range!

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Oops accidentally hit enter. Anyway, I'll just have to figure out what works best. I need to start using 'cones again I think, so I want to clarify and I was worried about doing it too much, but everyone varies so much I'll just have to see. Thanks!

moon2dove
November 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I use tresemme deep cleansing shampoo once every 4 weeks to clarify :)

Yame
November 14th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I clarified once. Don't intend to do it again.

battles
November 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I clarify when I feel my hair needs it or before trying a new routine, I don't really go by a schedule. :)

jojo
November 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I use tresemme deep cleansing shampoo once every 4 weeks to clarify :)

my favorite clarifying shampoo, i find I don't really need to condition after using this. For a clarifying shampoo its so moisturising.

longcurlygirl<3
November 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I Co-wash regularly, but I use suave naturals coconut shampoo as it is in the shower and cheap :p plus I only do it once a month since I use shea butter, and alot of conditioner it can build up even if CG.

dulce
November 14th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Never,my hair is doing fine.

Silverdragn7385
November 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
my favorite clarifying shampoo, i find I don't really need to condition after using this. For a clarifying shampoo its so moisturising.

I agree, this is what I use. :)

Nae
November 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Every once in a while, usually before starting back on shampoo bars, just to make sure that I don't get that weird waxy effect.

ladonna
November 14th, 2011, 02:11 PM
My hair does not like shampoo so I use a clarifying conditioner every couple weeks.

SpinDance
November 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Back when I was using regular shampoos all the time I found that if I switched up which one I used that my hair felt better. Thus I never clarified, but by using different formulations I got the same sort of results.

These days I actually have both the Suave Clarifying shampoo & conditioner and Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo. I got the Suave conditioner first, then the shampoo. I probably wouldn't have gotten the shampoo if I hadn't already gotten the conditioner, because after I got it home and looked at the ingredients I found cones. I've only used it a time or so, as a base for starting oil shampoo, or to deal with any sort of build up symptoms I might have. Since I'm staying away from cones now I got the Anti-Residue shampoo and it seems to do a good job the one time I clarified with it. I'm currently using it in oil shampoo as a phase of my experimentation.

I only plan to clarify when my hair has actual build up symptoms. This is because my ends are usually very dry and I'm afraid any regular usage would cause them to be drier, and thus break or split. Yes, I know, do more for moisture, and I am, but it only does so much and I'm still growing out pre-LHC hair.

luxepiggy
November 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I clarified once. Don't intend to do it again.

What she said! (^(oo)^)

ETA: I'm a total 'cone junkie, btw.

isabelx
November 14th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I used to clarifying once a week when I was using cones to tame my dryness, now I'm completely rid of cones and my hair is healthy so I plan to clarify every 3-4 weeks now. I wash twice a week by the way.

Lici1209
November 14th, 2011, 03:59 PM
So they don't build up for you? That's good! I heard other people have bad luck, I wonder what it depends on?

jacqueline101
November 14th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Once a month when my hormones are out of wack.

Safira
November 15th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Once or twice a month. Usually when it feels I have to clarify. My hair loves it. I use deep treatment afterwards.