PDA

View Full Version : Loco long curly dude does water-only for 30 days!

Long_Curls
November 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Hi all,

I am posting this thread because I have today started what is to be a period of 30 days in which I will not be using any hair products whatsoever on my curls: I will very much be going water-only with my curly hair. I am going to be recording the experiment on Facebook, Twitter and my personal blog but thought that also posting here about it would be a good idea so I can get some feedback from you guys too. There is also a water-only thread on LHC so my experiment and the ensuing results would provide another perspective to this peculiar approach on this very same forum.

I have already done the last shampooing this evening and will be posting the first pics tomorrow. Every 3 days I will post pics (front, side and side with ponytail) until the 30 days are over. The goal is to look decent enough after these 30 days and have the curls looking similar to the state in which they were 30 days prior. I have done periods of up to two weeks with water only and survived nicely so it will be interesting to see how it pans out after 30 days.

I will be posting updates on an almost daily basis (apart from my blog's every-3-day update) on Facebook and Twitter so feel free to keep an eye there and I would appreciate any form of support: from comments/input on blog/this thread to Facebook Like to following on Twitter to simply spreading the word. I cover a whole lot of stuff on my personal blog too so it is worth a read if you are into reading lifestyle content. Moreover, I will be keeping an eye on this thread too, I really like the sense of support and camaraderie that this forum emphasizes :cool:

I have already done the first post on my blog with the description of this experiment and everything to do with this 30 day challenge!

Wish me luck :mad:

All the best.

Blog

www.manlycurls.com

Dedicated blog post

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/11/thirty-day-natural-hair-challenge-manly-curls/

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Manly-Curls/244455912231414

Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/ManlyCurls (ManlyCurls)

LHC thread - Calling all dudes with long curls!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81811

Picture from two days ago (will be posting starting pics tomorrow Monday)

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/From%20fat%20to%20fit/manlycurls_side2.jpg

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Good luck!

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Wow, nice job on your blog. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I have not yet been brave enough to try WO and may never be, but I'm fascinated.

xoxophelia
November 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I clicked on your blog *_*

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Very cool! Good luck!

spidermom
November 13th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I have serious hygiene concerns regarding WO and SO. I don't know why people would wash their hands with soap and water but not their hair. Doesn't coughing result in droplets in your hair? Don't you touch your hair? And do you wash your hands every time? These are the questions that circle in my mind every time I see someone announce this.

xoxophelia
November 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I have serious hygiene concerns regarding WO and SO. I don't know why people would wash their hands with soap and water but not their hair. Doesn't coughing result in droplets in your hair? Don't you touch your hair? And do you wash your hands every time? These are the questions that circle in my mind every time I see someone announce this.

I read higher amounts of fungus were found on the scalps of those who do WO. However, some seem to do it with no harm and it is only 30 days.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it. The sebum we produce is broken down by bacteria and causes the foul smell. And the idea of more fungus puts me off. But, to each their own.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 04:08 AM
I second the fungus - it's what I saw on a WO experiment done for a TV show. It will be interesting to see how you fare. Best of luck.

Jemoiselle
November 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Awesome experiment, I am excited to follow this! I've tried CO and WO and neither really worked for me. What is SO? I saw that mentioned above my Spidermom and was scratching my head, pun intended LOL. I tried so hard but my fine hair really showed the oil and the oil didn't lessen enough for me to get away with it and still maintain a social life :) I smelled like a dirty animal who needed a bath LOL!

I'll join you over on Facebook too, I'm not always around here unfortunately. I wish I was more active here, I love this community! I have a VERY busy toddler who is about to turn 4 at the end of the month who keeps me from (speaking of which, pause here for me) REPLYING with my sanity intact. I forgot to say, gorgeous curls my friend!

:cheese:

redmj
November 14th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Good Luck! I am also new to the WO thing and so far I like it. Can't wait to see how the curls do.

evb
November 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
I suppose I should do some research into the WO method but since it sounds.. brave... to me I haven't had any interest so Q

Do you do ACV rinses or anything with the WO? I mean what if you have hard water? I realize product build up is not a great thing but what about lime and whatever else is in hard water? I am going to be following your experiment to see how this water only thing works

redmj
November 14th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I rinse in a rosemary infusion with acv. It makes my hair look wonderful.

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Posted Day 1 pics on my blog as well as update.

Curls looking a bit dry as I obviously didn't put anything on them after I shampooed them deep last night. Tied the hair tight, went to bed, woke up, showered the curls with water only, dried on their own (air dried) and this is the result.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/manlycurlsfront3.jpg

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
About the fungus thing and what not. I am aware of this but I am taking some proactive measures. I normally shower twice in a day anyway (3 if going to the gym) and I do a few things to promote hygiene. I have gone up to two weeks doing the same without a sign of looking dirty although hair starts matting relatively easier due to the accumulated scalp oil which promotes bonding of hair shafts (i.e glue).

My hair mats like crazy under normal circumstances as my curls are so tight that they effectively act as hooks. Couple that with increased scalp oil deposition from not using shampoo and we are talking mat & knot town. I expect a bit of drama in this area.

In any case, this is what this experiment is for, to outline what can happen if one extends such a method to a month.

I am keeping it fun ;)

NotInPortland
November 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Good luck with the experiment, love the curls :)

GlennaGirl
November 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Posted Day 1 pics on my blog as well as update.

Curls looking a bit dry as I obviously didn't put anything on them after I shampooed them deep last night. Tied the hair tight, went to bed, woke up, showered the curls with water only, dried on their own (air dried) and this is the result.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/manlycurlsfront3.jpg

I just want to sproiiiiiiing one of these. I wouldn't (to any curly) because I know it's annoying, but oh my fingers itch to do one big sproing!

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Good luck! Depending on how well you can get the oils distributed, you might actually find you need to add some oil to the ends to keep them nice.

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I just want to sproiiiiiiing one of these. I wouldn't (to any curly) because I know it's annoying, but oh my fingers itch to do one big sproing!

My curls are very springy so it'd be worth the pull. You would not be the first one attempting to pull my curls though, and you would not be the first one to have had your hand smacked ;)

Good luck! Depending on how well you can get the oils distributed, you might actually find you need to add some oil to the ends to keep them nice.

You make a very good point. This is why I emphasize showering with lukewarm water, enough to allow the oil to melt a bit and travel down but not too hot so as to cause irregular oil distribution. What oil do you use on your tips?

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
You make a very good point. This is why I emphasize showering with lukewarm water, enough to allow the oil to melt a bit and travel down but not too hot so as to cause irregular oil distribution. What oil do you use on your tips?
I have good luck with sesame oil, but different people have different favorites. Coconut and olive are eternally popular around here. Jojoba, sweet almond, and recently argan are also popular. The trick is to make sure you have real, edible oil, not the infused vaseline that gets sold in many of the hair aisles at the store.

Anje
November 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I have good luck with sesame oil, but different people have different favorites. Coconut and olive are eternally popular around here. Jojoba, sweet almond, and recently argan are also popular. The trick is to make sure you have real, edible oil, not the infused vaseline or silicone serum that gets sold in many of the hair aisles at the store. It's been a while since I did the WO thing, though.

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I have good luck with sesame oil, but different people have different favorites. Coconut and olive are eternally popular around here. Jojoba, sweet almond, and recently argan are also popular. The trick is to make sure you have real, edible oil, not the infused vaseline or silicone serum that gets sold in many of the hair aisles at the store. It's been a while since I did the WO thing, though.

Yep, I use cooking coconut oil, no mixed crap but the actual edible oil. Other good oils are extra virgin olive oil and I have played with a few other oils.

The issue with oils, especially coconut, is that the residue can be very heavy and less is more. I secrete a loy of scalp oil by default so I have to be careful when I use them.

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM
I suppose I should do some research into the WO method but since it sounds.. brave... to me I haven't had any interest so Q

Do you do ACV rinses or anything with the WO? I mean what if you have hard water? I realize product build up is not a great thing but what about lime and whatever else is in hard water? I am going to be following your experiment to see how this water only thing works

Sorry, i didn't see your question when you posted it.

What is ACV? I try to stay away from lingo although I am sure I have another name for that. I do live in an area with hard water but I find the whole hard water thing overblown.

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
ACV stands for apple cider vinegar. :)

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Fresh pic from today. Curls are more moisturized as I have made sure to massage the scalp and get the sebum going down the hair shafts.

So far, so good!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/day2_front.jpg

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 04:34 PM
ACV stands for apple cider vinegar. :)

Thanks. Then yes, I have used it.

silverjen
November 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I was WO for years, my hair was not dirty, and it did not smell. I went to a stylist a couple times in this period, and she had no idea I hadn't shampoo-washed in months/years. So no, it really isn't dirty or questionable. I didn't have any problems with fungus, either.

My hair behaves and looks better with some sebum on it, like I'm using expensive product. Defined waves, no flyaways, and no tangling!

Long_Curls
November 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was WO for years, my hair was not dirty, and it did not smell. I went to a stylist a couple times in this period, and she had no idea I hadn't shampoo-washed in months/years. So no, it really isn't dirty or questionable. I didn't have any problems with fungus, either.

My hair behaves and looks better with some sebum on it, like I'm using expensive product. Defined waves, no flyaways, and no tangling!

Thanks for your input!

The furthest I have gone is two weeks and my hair didn't look unhygienic at all. I did find it to look straw-like and matted though, hence I am hoping to refine my grooming regime during this experiment.

C.H.
November 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Good luck, Long Curls! As a fellow curly I am looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment. Everyone on LHC seems to be experimenting constantly, but very few of us have our acts together enough (or the inclination) to document it as well as you are. I have to admit, I've never really considered trying water only. I'm a total conditioner-holic, as are most curlies.

Forgive me if you've already fully explained this elsewhere, but what made you want to go WO?

pretty wings
November 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Checked out your blog. Just added it to my favorites. Not only do I enjoy your hair related posts but I really like the fitness and health posts. Good luck on your 30 day WO challenge!

Long_Curls
November 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Good luck, Long Curls! As a fellow curly I am looking forward to seeing the results of your experiment. Everyone on LHC seems to be experimenting constantly, but very few of us have our acts together enough (or the inclination) to document it as well as you are. I have to admit, I've never really considered trying water only. I'm a total conditioner-holic, as are most curlies.

Forgive me if you've already fully explained this elsewhere, but what made you want to go WO?

Hiya,

Novelty and experimenting. Have done a few educated experiments on myself, most recently got myself back into shape very fast applying my already acquired knowledge. Guinea pig syndrome?

Also, I dont like conventional shampoos. Every time I shampoo they destroy my hair and dry it out too much, even when using minimal amounts. Once a week turned out to trying once a month.

Have updated today with pics, the first week has gone flown by :)

Checked out your blog. Just added it to my favorites. Not only do I enjoy your hair related posts but I really like the fitness and health posts. Good luck on your 30 day WO challenge!

Thanks for the kind words. I have a personal interest in those other fields and have coaching experience in fitness. My blog is a way to express myself, I am glad you like it.

All the best.

Long_Curls
November 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hey guys,

Posted a new 3 day update with pics. Today is Day 13 with no hair products.

Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/11/30-days-natural-hair-challenge-day-13/

Kind Regards.

uptosomeone
November 26th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Your hair is still looking fantastic! The curls are so defined and gorgeous.

Long_Curls
November 27th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Your hair is still looking fantastic! The curls are so defined and gorgeous.

Thanks. I am posting very frequently with mini-updates. I am starting to now feel a change in my curls behaving. Certainly the next updates will be fun LOL

Long_Curls
December 4th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Hey guys,

Quick question, I cannot still see profiles and I would like to send a PM to a user to answer a question of hers. Anybody know what is the minimum post count to be able to send PMs?

Thanks!

P.S Still goign on with the 30 day experiment, check out the progress thus far!

jesis
December 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Here ya go!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68520

Long_Curls
December 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Many thanks. I don't seem to have the same user rights as someone with my post count, if I am reading correctly. I think I will have to contact an admin then.

Chamy
December 6th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I read your blog, sounds like it works good so far. :)

I used to do WO last year. But eventually my scalp said no, and i had to go back to CO. Shampoo does not agree with my hair at all. It took a while for my scalp to get back to normal, bot now im all good again.

Long_Curls
December 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I read your blog, sounds like it works good so far. :)

I used to do WO last year. But eventually my scalp said no, and i had to go back to CO. Shampoo does not agree with my hair at all. It took a while for my scalp to get back to normal, bot now im all good again.

Thanks for passing by.

My scalp is starting to have a greasy hardened texture to it. It doesn't look dirty nor unhygienic but I can feel the difference. Moreover, my hair feels dry from its mid-section down to the tip which coincidentally is where all the sebum is building up. I am examining it and coming up with reasons for it which is yielding some interesting findings!

How long did your WO last? When you say your scalp said no, was it more to do with how it looked, felt or due to hygiene issues?

piffyanne
December 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
they ARE manly curls! >gape< I'm going to be sticking around, too--I want to see the results of the experiment!

Long_Curls
December 17th, 2011, 04:49 PM
they ARE manly curls! >gape< I'm going to be sticking around, too--I want to see the results of the experiment!

Thanks!

Tomorrow is the last day of this 30 day experiment and I will be posting the final pictures at www.manlycurls.com tomorrow.

All of you guys at LHC are invited to check out the results and differences from Day 1. Please, feel free to comment on the blog and provide your input as fellow longhairs!

All the best.

Cocoa_Crema
December 17th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Fresh pic from today. Curls are more moisturized as I have made sure to massage the scalp and get the sebum going down the hair shafts.

So far, so good!

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/day2_front.jpg

I personally would be worried about that scalpy smell being to prominent. Have you had a lady friend smell and give you her opinion?

Long_Curls
December 18th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I personally would be worried about that scalpy smell being to prominent. Have you had a lady friend smell and give you her opinion?

Browse my Facebook page for Inspector Curly Dudette. As strict as she is with these things, she gave the OK at all times while supervising my hair during these 30 days.

All the best.

Long_Curls
December 18th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Ok guys, I have posted the last update (Day 30).

Please feel free to leave your comments on whether the challenge was successful or not! Any other opinions, questions and feedback are also welcomed :)

All the best.

Long_Curls
December 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Published the overall result of the experiment on my blog. Took into account my readers' opinions, the opinion of the lady supervising that I didn't start looking like I was homeless and, of course, my opinion too. Feel free to let know your opinion too.

http://www.manlycurls.com/2011/12/30-days-challenge-success-or-not/

Also, check my latest blog article on how to stick to and be successful with the resolutions we make on New Year's eve, which for us guys will too include hair resolutions (it will with mine!) :) . Worth the reading for those serious on having a productive 2012!

Thanks for following.

Kind Regards.

slz
December 29th, 2011, 06:24 AM
Nice result ! Not that I can eally judge y itures, but it look even better to me after those 30 days han at the beginning.

Long_Curls
January 3rd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Nice result ! Not that I can eally judge y itures, but it look even better to me after those 30 days han at the beginning.

Thanks! I have actually received quite a few comments sharing the same feeling so there is something to going all natural for some time.

I haven't shampooed my hair since the last day of the challenge as I am still to decide what to do next for the frequency of my shampooing. I have posted a picture of me some days ago from my holidays and you can see how my curls are looking (they are wet though).

All the best.

Amber_Maiden
January 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Definitely looks better than the beginning picture! Looks so much more healthy! :D

Long_Curls
January 4th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Definitely looks better than the beginning picture! Looks so much more healthy! :D

LOL During my holidays I had a number of ladies approaching me to ask me what was my secret (in those literal words). If only they knew I hadn't shampooed my hair for weeks at a time tihihihi :D

kmangus
January 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM
You have wonderful hair! <3 Such great curls! -swoon-

Long_Curls
January 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words!

spidermom
January 9th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I thought your hair looked fabulous somewhere in the middle, not so much at the beginning or the end.

Long_Curls
January 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I thought your hair looked fabulous somewhere in the middle, not so much at the beginning or the end.

Thanks! The first few days were the worst, which coincidentally was following the shampooing that I did the night before Day 1. You can see how the curls look dry from the shampoo and it was not until the sebum got some time to be secreted and travel down the shaft (with my help) that the dryness was resolved (which coincides with the middle of the timeline and your opinion!).

I have today posted a video on Youtube with all the pictures in a transition mode, plus you get to see me talking too for a quick intro, bear with me, it is my first "hair" video LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd9s3d9SlqY

Shypii90
January 11th, 2012, 03:55 PM
This is very interesting!

I did try WO once but I also tried no-combing at the time so by the end of it my hair was all dreadlocked, super-tangled and the curls were OK but it looked much drier than your shiny hair!

How do you care for it? Do you comb/brush it at all?

Keep it up!!

Shypii90

Long_Curls
January 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
This is very interesting!

I did try WO once but I also tried no-combing at the time so by the end of it my hair was all dreadlocked, super-tangled and the curls were OK but it looked much drier than your shiny hair!

How do you care for it? Do you comb/brush it at all?

Keep it up!!

Shypii90

Hiya,

I just touched my hair with my fingers and made sure to help the sebum travel all the way down. I do not believe in combs, save for a few exceptions.

Didn't you try to detangle daily with your fingers?

Shypii90
January 14th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Hiya,

I just touched my hair with my fingers and made sure to help the sebum travel all the way down. I do not believe in combs, save for a few exceptions.

Didn't you try to detangle daily with your fingers?

Fair enough.. No, I cannot detangle with my fingers, my hair is too knotted, it takes me hours and then my hand gets too tired + I have other things to do so I leave it. Also when I detangled it with my fingers it would be tangled again immediately; I don't understand why! Hehe

arielįgua
January 20th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Wow this is brave! o.o
Good luck!

Maybe water only washes for some people work, I know for mine it doesn't.
I have very oily scalp.

But I will track your blog!

;)

Long_Curls
January 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Fair enough.. No, I cannot detangle with my fingers, my hair is too knotted, it takes me hours and then my hand gets too tired + I have other things to do so I leave it. Also when I detangled it with my fingers it would be tangled again immediately; I don't understand why! Hehe

Believe me, my curls knot on a daily basis all the time. If I don't unknot for 3 days, it gets very nasty so I completely feel for you. Do you use instead a comb? Wide tooth version?

I have found that my hair gets tangled again fast if I dont moisturize my hair immediately after I detangle. Even running water through the detangled hair helps to avoid immediate tangling.

Long_Curls
January 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wow this is brave! o.o
Good luck!

Maybe water only washes for some people work, I know for mine it doesn't.
I have very oily scalp.

But I will track your blog!

;)

Thanks, I too have an oily scalp so I am still optimizing my natural hair approach.

I have posted some thoughts on my experiment plus other stuff on (curly) hair, worth the read if you are a hair freak like myself :D

All the best.