PDA

View Full Version : Help, please! Dry, coarse lengths and ends

Freija
November 13th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hi,

I've been growing out virgin hair from a pixie for just over eighteen months (with cassia, and the odd temporary red dye excepted!). I'm now almost at APL and, although I've been having regular tiny trims and can't see any split ends, most of the lengths and tips of my hair suddenly feel really rough and dry. It isn't as shiny as it usually is, either. Could you please help suggest something to make my hair happy and soft again? I live in the UK, so anything I try would need to be easy to get hold of here!

Just to give a quick idea of my usual routine - I have quite curly hair that gets greasy quickly. I wash in cool water every day or every other day (I'd love to be able to stretch, but when I've tried before I've hated it!). I use SLS shampoo but no 'cones (this, or something to do with the washing, might be the reason...?), don't use any heat or styling products, detangle carefully in the shower with a wide-toothed wooden comb and occasionally use my Mason Pearson BBB before bed. It's still too short to bun or plait properly, so I alternate between wearing it loose and in a ponytail. Maybe oils would help, but I've only tried coconut oil before, which my hair's always seemed indifferent to.

Thank you :)

Avital88
November 13th, 2011, 03:36 PM
i would try washing less frequently or else try co wash every other wash instead. also might be the weather changes :) good luck

amantha
November 13th, 2011, 03:37 PM
In my personal experience...when I use SLS...I always need to use cones or my hair will feel very dry within a few weeks. Even if your regular conditioner doesn't have cones, you could use a coney leave-in like Chi Silk Infusion or something. Otherwise my hair tangles super easily and I end up ripping a bunch out when I try to detangle later on.

I don't really have any experience with oils because I'm new here. So maybe a different kind of oil would help a lot too.

isabelx
November 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I'd refrain from using an SLS shampoo when washing, especially every or every other day, I know mine would feel like straw if I did. If you find your hair needs sulfates for a good clean like mine does maybe try a shampoo with SLES (sodium laureth sulfate) which is a milder sulfate. I also agree with trying a coney leave in. I don't know if the fact we have similar hair types could contribute to this, but my hair doesn't like coconut oil either, or any other oils I've tried for that matter. I've had the most success with honey, just a suggestion :)

pepperminttea
November 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
My bet would be on either winter being on its way, or hard water build-up. A chelating shampoo might be an idea to tackle the mineral build-up, but a cheaper option would be a rinse of carbonated soda water (aka. club soda). Doesn't have to be anything fancy, I use Sainsbury's own brand of it now and then. :) You might also want to look into using a vinegar rinse after washing - apple cider vinegar works wonders, just a weak dilution. I started off with 1 tablespoon in 8 fluid oz. of water, but some people use dilutions as strong as 50/50. When it's weak, the smell goes completely when the hair dries, you won't end up smelling like a chip shop don't worry. ;) I should say though that the ACV can leave a red tinge on your hair, so if you're not a fan of that, white vinegar would be a safer bet.

If it's the oncoming winter, then a deep moisture treatment should help. I don't know whether you've seen this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55490), but you might want to be careful with your use of humectants. :)

coffinhert
November 13th, 2011, 04:35 PM
My instinct is to blame the shampoo. Have you tried coating your length in conditioner, then shampooing only your scalp? Then rinse it all out and do another conditioner coat.

Also have you ever tried doing CO?

Even if you have to get your hair wet every day, you could do conditioner only (CO) one day, then shampoo the next day. Alternating.

A deep overnight oiling might help. Coconut, olive, castor, sweet almond, etc, oils, on the length, leave overnight, then conditioner it out the next day. It can take quite a bit of conditioner to get it out, like more than one head full.

Let us know what ends up working for you.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Whenever my hair feels funky, I do a good clarify (do you use your shampoo just on your head? If so you might want to try bringing it down your ends) and a hour long SMT (heavy on the honey and aloe). This routine fixes all my hair problems.

Freija
November 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice! I don't think I'll try coconut oil again, but I'd like to try almond oil - and I'm going to change my shampoo to something with laureth sulfate, and a richer conditioner. I don't like co-ing (for the same reason I wash daily) but I think I'll try CWCing again - thank you Coffinhert!

I'll let you know if it works. :)

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM
The SLS shampoo is catching up with you. Curly hair needs more moisture than the average head of hair and SLS poos just dries it out. Have you tried CO washing? You could also try CWC or doing heavy oilings to create a bit of a buffer between the shampoo and your strands. Good luck!

P.S - If you don't have splits why are you trimming? Let it grow!

longhairedlady
November 13th, 2011, 06:50 PM
When my hair gets a little dry I know its time to soak it in EVOO.