PDA

View Full Version : When you comb your hair.......

shikara
November 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Just curious about the combing experience for you. Here'sa few questions....

Does yout hair have basically no tangles and it's a quick and painless experience, do you have enough that you need to focus a little more but it's still a fairly quick task, or is you hair quite tangly and you really need to focus proba ly breaking a few hairs throughh the process.

Do you just comb enough to go through it once or do you like to do it some more because its something you like to do?

Do you do any extra passes down your scalp to loosen anything or to stimulate it?

Anything else you might want to ad about your combing experience!!

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I like to comb my hair once in a while just for fun--I don't usually comb my hair because it destroys my curls. I use a wide-toothed comb, and it takes maybe half an hour. It's definitely not a graceful process.

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Does yout hair have basically no tangles and it's a quick and painless experience, do you have enough that you need to focus a little more but it's still a fairly quick task, or is you hair quite tangly and you really need to focus proba ly breaking a few hairs throughh the process.

My hair tangles everyday, and yes I break hairs trying to get them out.

Do you just comb enough to go through it once or do you like to do it some more because its something you like to do?

I do it more, just to make sure I don't have any tangles left.

Do you do any extra passes down your scalp to loosen anything or to stimulate it?

I do, to stimulate it and because it feels good.

It's rough combing my hair. It's a huge deal, and I hate doing it- because it both takes forever and hurts! (because of all the tangles!)

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I don't comb because my hair is really brittle. I finger detangle with oiled fingers when my hair is wet. If it is dry the tangles kind of "set" and are impossible to undo without breaking. Sometimes I need to rub oil in a tangle and pull out individual strands.

Since my hair is so short I only get maybe 3-5 tangles after washing. Back when my hair was APL+ I would rake through it violently for at least 10 minutes with a brush to detangle. It was impossible to do it with a comb, it would have taken me hours. You can just imagine the damage. My hair was in sad shape.

I'm hoping this time around my hair will be healthier and will tangle less. I think if I have the same amount of tangling I had last time I'll probably end up keeping it short. I'm not going to have long hair that's impossible to keep healthy.

I'm obsessing over every broken hair because I want my hair to have a chance this time!!

ladonna
November 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Before LHC I dreaded burshing/combing my hair. But now thanks to LHC my hair hardly tangles and I only finger comb.

pink.sara
November 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I'm a bit rough to be honest :blushing:

I comb it rather than brush most days as I tend to drag a brush through my 4-5 sections pretty roughly and combing forces me to slow down and section it smaller.

But even then I break bits off. I just don't have the patience for 20 mins of painstaking careful detangling twice a day. And at this APL+ length it tangles underneath loads.

MungoMania
November 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My hair is brittle and tangles super easily. :rolleyes: Combing is an ordeal and takes forever especially after 'poo. I use a wide tooth comb always. No extra scalp stimulation. That would tear my fragile hair clean out.

Heartwillfollow
November 13th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Still have damage to the very ends that I am micro triming off so I always need to detangle the ends. Once the ends are done and having straight hair the process is quick and painless

In the mornings I comb just enough to get it put up, at night when I take it down I spend more time

at night like the feel of the wooden wide tooth comb over my scalp. I also like to finger message my scalp just because it's relaxing and feels good and maybe it does stimulates and distributes the oils too.

didn't think getting a wooden comb would make a difference.. I have used this seamless plastic comb for years, very rounded tips and teeth, has two rows of teeth that are offset from each other that have a cruve outwards on each side.. love that comb. can't find them in the store anymore.

love the wide tooth wooden comb just as much feels better for doing my ends. so glad I tried the wooden comb especially if I loose the plastic one.

Madora
November 13th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Detangling is fast and painfree for me. It takes all of maybe 2 minutes with very little tangles to deal with.

I am extra careful when detangling in the shower, however. I take thin, small sections of hair (slathered with conditioner) and work from the ends up to the scalp.

When combing in general I try and hold my comb as lightly in my hand as possible and go slowly. The slower you go, the less chance for breakage. I comb in the bent at the waist position.

I enjoy combing my hair but derive more benefits from brushing it.

Personally, I found that combing slowly thru the strands (until any tangles are removed) was the kindest way for my hair.

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 02:34 PM
My hair doesn't tangle that often so I'm able to comb quicker then I used to. I comb the tangles out and not the rest.

dawnrader
November 13th, 2011, 02:35 PM
If i put a comb anywhere near my hair it would eat it!

I have a shower comb that i can use but i find it makes tangles rather than takes them out. I use a flat paddle brush and take it carefully from the tips to the roots.

Earelia
November 13th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I don't usually have many tangles when I comb. I'll get a few on the ends sometimes but not much.

Annibelle
November 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I get a minor tangle maybe twice per year. I'm not sure why, but my hair has never been prone to tangling. :) I comb a couple of times each day, but not to get tangles out-- my hair just starts looking messy easily.

isabelx
November 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Combing is quite an easy thing for me, which I'm quite thankful for being a 2b/2c :) I do like to go over it a few times though to make sure I haven't missed any tangles.

Maraz
November 13th, 2011, 03:38 PM
If i put a comb anywhere near my hair it would eat it!

I have a shower comb that i can use but i find it makes tangles rather than takes them out. I use a flat paddle brush and take it carefully from the tips to the roots.

I was thinking the same thing! Then I'd lose half my hair trying to get the comb free again.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:13 PM

I just comb straight through. It is exceedingly rare that I get tangles. I'm not sure why, though I do have somewhat slippery hair. It is just as easy to comb through when it's longer as when it's shorter.

Lilli
November 13th, 2011, 04:19 PM
My hair is very hard to comb unless I use a coney shampoo and conditioner (but that makes my hair too flat.) It takes several minutes and hurts and I lose a lot of hair. I hate it, but seeing as I shower and wash my hair in the morning, it is not dry to brush it when I leave. I have to figure out a better system.

Snippety
November 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I only comb my hair and never brush. I do it about four times a day, when the shorter hairs have escaped my plait and are wisping round my face and neck, driving me mad :D I don't have any major tangles, although slightly more in winter because my hair gets full of static. My combing experience has been considerably better since I bought my Ric Carpenter hand made wooden comb about 8 years ago, but I still don't do it for fun !

Lostsoule77
November 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I generally only get knots in my ends and my nape. I finger comb or comb with a wide tooth comb. I usually swing all my hair over one side and comb the top, then to the other side and comb the top then bottom, then back to the first side again and comb that bottom. Lastly I put it all back and comb the canopy back. I just like to make sure there are no tangles and that I get out any shed hairs before I start to style. When I encounter a knot I just work it through slowly (well most of the time.) I take ahold of the knot on both sides and slowly start pulling out hairs one by one. It usually ends up that just two hairs are really knotted. Sometimes I get them out too and once in awhile I have to cut them out.

turtlelover
November 13th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I HATE combing my hair. A metal tooth paddle brush (actually, I like one made for DOGS!) goes through my wavy hair with much less stress and breakage than any comb unless my hair is soaking wet and just conditioned, in which case a wide tooth comb is OK.

MJheals
November 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have to detangle very carefully and slowly (I do this 6-7 times a day if I'm wearing my hair down). My hair is tangled moments after being detangled no matter what (thank you, crazy texture), so I tend to brush through every chance I get.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I personally find detangling gently from the ends with a brush to be much more effective and easier on my hair than combs. I love my denman(s)!

PixxieStix
November 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
It seems that only my ends really get tangled. Back in my mid teens when my hair was BSL or longer, I ripped through it with one of those plastic brushes with the nubs on the ends eeeeeeevery day, figured I wasn't doing a good job if it didn't hurt. *rolls eyes*

Now that I've found LHC, I use a wide tooth comb twice a day, morning and night, and only after finger brushing, wide tooth combing/detangling slooooowly (I'm now paranoid about breakage!) do I sometimes at night brush my hair just for the fun of it.

I've found my tangle rate has plummeted since finding coconut oil for my hair and doing weekly deep conditioning treatments either with olive oil or an avocado/coconut milk mix. I also just started using oil shampoo, and the last three washes have given amazing results, with almost no tangles, great volume, and very shiny, soft hair! That's made my combing experience nicer. On wash day, I do finger detangle in the shower with my hair conditioned.

Cassie 123
November 13th, 2011, 05:50 PM

It usually doesn't tangle much, but I've never had it past waist length so of course that could change everything. But my hair is quite coarse; I remember it tangling a lot more when I was a young girl and it was finer.

I only comb more than necessary if I am using a comb to distribute oils or conditioner.

Yes, I also have a fine-toothed horn comb that I use to scritch my scalp prior to washing. It's a pleasant little luxury. :)

KwaveT
November 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM

I have to focus a little bit more. My hair is to that length now where it will tangle when I sleep. I have tangles the next morning. I tried on bunch of sweaters today and my hair tangled up after doing this also. I run a comb from tip and work up to the root. If comb catches one I finger it until tangle lets loose. Once I detangle with wide tooth comb I follow with tangle teezer and then boar bristle brush. Each collects more sheds than previous implement. I stimulate my scalp with tangle teezer and BBB. I probably spend about 15 minutes on my hair doing all this. When hair is wet I use just the comb and collect rest of sheds with hand and finger combing.

JessL
November 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM
My hair doesn't tangle much unless it is wind blown. I used to not brush or comb at all except with my fingers but I have been using a BBB lately to distribute oils. Brushing messes with my curl pattern so I do it at night and then in the morning either wash or spray my hair with water to dampen it and let it air dry.

My youngest daughter though gets awful tangles. A brush doesn't help but combing does. Last night it was pretty bad and took about 15 minutes to get them out.

Helenae
November 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
If I don't comb my hair it turns into sea-weed. Sometimes I leave it curly and scrunch it a bit with serum, but then it always looks crap the next day unless I comb it out with a wide tooth comb. I also use a paddle brush for the roots of my hair because it makes my crown more voluminous.

luxepiggy
November 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I fingercomb; it doesn't take long as my hair doesn't really get tangled. When I'm bored or thinking I have a habit of running my fingers through the length. Usually I don't even realise I'm doing it unless someone else points it out.

Pierre
November 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I comb in the shower, once every several days, and it takes me a while because I have several days of shed hairs to comb out. I get a few tangles at the ends of hairs, which I snip; I don't get many, because I wear my hair up and braided all the time. I do comb my scalp.

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I HATE combing my hair. A metal tooth paddle brush (actually, I like one made for DOGS!) goes through my wavy hair with much less stress and breakage than any comb unless my hair is soaking wet and just conditioned, in which case a wide tooth comb is OK.
...............:scared:

Vanilla
November 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM

My hair almost always has tangled when I comb. At APL it takes me about 5-10 minutes to detangle. At waist, it will probably take me 10 additional minutes. I almost always seem to break a few hairs combing.

I like to comb through a few times, as I like the feeling of a comb going smoothly through my hair.

I do scritch my scalp with my comb prior to washing to stimulate it.

Modarunner
November 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM
I like to comb my hair, I definitely don't get as much poofiness from a comb as I used to when I would brush my hair. I only comb my hair when it's dry, I no longer comb when wet because I have found that tangles come out of my hair just as easily if I wait until it's dry. I'll finger comb during the day but I will use a wide tooth horn comb to detangle in the morning and at night. As long as I keep my hair contained in a braid, I find that it doesn't tangle much, but if I leave it free my hair tangles. It only takes about 5-10 min to detangle.
I also just started scritching, I take a fine tooth horn comb to my scalp and it definitely helps. I use to have a very itchy scalp and would scratch which made it worse. Since I started scritching my head doesn't itch as much, it definitely helps loosen dead skin cells and I can scratch my head when I need to, but it doesn't make my head sore.

Freckled.Thing
November 13th, 2011, 10:36 PM
It depends how I wore my hair that day. If it was braided on in an updo I usually have little to no tangling, so it's fairly painless. If I wore it down for some reason chances are I will have a lot of tangles, but just as my hair tangles easily it also untangles easily, so even then it usually isn't too laborious of a task. I wear my hair in an english braid when I sleep, and there will usually be a few tangles around the top of the braid in the morning, but detangling isn't too difficult as long as I remember to be gentle.

This having been said, lately I've been using my new tangle teezer almost exclusively, which is much faster.

w/o freak
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 PM
I used to not be able to comb it at all. I had to violently brush it to get tangles out and rip my hair apart. Since going w/o though I've been able to brush it pretty painlessly with few tangles.

chelshireling
November 13th, 2011, 11:58 PM
I only comb in the shower with huge amounts of conditioner to lube the way, by the time i wash it its usually a bit tangly, with sometimes wierd matted knots in the back that i have to work out. i try not to break any hairs but who know.

sometimes a finger comb during the day while day dreaming about being a princess or something, but other than that nope

nope

those princess day dreams are quite frequent and i think contibute greatly to the quality of my hair