PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your hair when you sleep?

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I'm a newbie, and after reading some of the many articles on the website, I'm afraid that I'm getting a bit paranoid (in a good way) about protecting my hair. What do you recommend that I do with my hair when I sleep? Should I spread it on my pillow? should I braid it? In one braid, or two? Does anybody have any suggestions?

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 12:50 PM
:flowers:hi Mustardseed and welcome to LHC, well i do 2 braids to sleep in and I also use a satin pillow case to sleep, it makes my hair less tangly in the morning which is a plus for me as my hair tangles like you wouldnt believe! Hope that helps!

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Satin pillowcases, and bunning.

ashke50
November 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I just plait mine. I used to try to plait it all on top of my head, but it got just as tangled up there, and was more difficult to do!

Becky Safari
November 13th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Just an English braid with some jojoba oil.

krissykins
November 13th, 2011, 01:21 PM
I sleep with it in one of these three ways:

1. bunned on top of my head (secured with either a scrunchie or Goody Spin Pins)
2. a single English braid down the back
3. stuffed into a satin sleep bonnet

I also have a satin pillowcase, which has really reduced breakage for me.

dawnrader
November 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
I'm another newbie too *waves* and i usually put it in a rope braid or english braid to sleep. I don't have a satin pillow yet but since joining i think it's going to be a good idea.

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
A satin sleeping cap!!No pressure or tension on my hair and it's loose and protected inside.E bay has some at very reasoneable prices.

MungoMania
November 13th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I bun it on top or occasionally leave it loose. A satin pillowcase sounds like a good idea.

Modarunner
November 13th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I put my hair in either two braids or I put my hair in a loose bun on top of my head. I always sleep on my silk satin pillowcase which I'm totally in love with.

vintage88
November 13th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I use a silk sleep cap, or 2 braids and a silk pillow case :) both work brilliantly and I never wake up with tangles now

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I put it up in a bun after I oil it.

Madora
November 13th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I wear it in a braided bun on top of my head:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=104112

Very comfy and fast and easy to do..and 99.99% tangle free!

I wore 2 braids for sleep for decades and still had tangles. Now, with the bun braid atop my head, the tangles are just about non-existent! I love it!

Earelia
November 13th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I always just let it down... I just can't stand having my hair up when I sleep even if it's all the way on top of my head. =/

Heartwillfollow
November 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
another one that just leaves my hair down, I sleep on my back and don't move around I just swish the ends to one side.. Just don't feel it's long enough right now to do braids that will be comfortable..

Starlight1986
November 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I mostly wear it in a French braid at night

Fairytale
November 13th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I use a satin pillowcase also .

Put in a very high bun not to bother my neck.

Oh and welcome !:D

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Loose three-strand braid for me.

Celebrian
November 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Just flip it up over pillow! Must try bun on top of head. Bet it will pull my neck hairs tho'! Hmmm, wonder if that would look nice in daytime too?

coffinhert
November 13th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I leave my hair loose, and I have a silk pillowcase.

shikara
November 13th, 2011, 03:11 PM
I put mine in two side braids, really dampen the last few inches and put that in a large roller (large because I don't want a curl that will tangle). This gives me very soft, moisturizer, easy to comb through ends in the morning!

Long_Curls
November 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I tie it tightly into a bun so that there are no loose strands.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Sometimes braid, sometimes pony, most time I just leave it down and have a hell of a time detangling in the morning

bluesnowflake
November 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I usually scrunchie bun it, occasionally tie it up with a silk scarf. I've been meaning to get a satin pillowcase.

Metallia
November 13th, 2011, 06:29 PM
I sleep with one braid, on the side preferably since I sleep on my back, two braids if I take more time.
I tried putting my hair in a bun on top of my head, but it got in the way. I have an orthotic pillow and the bun won't fit in the spot for my head, so it pulls and bothers me. I use a satin pillow case also.

WaterMusic
November 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Bun on top of my head, secured with spin pins. I love those things, they allowed me to completely eliminate hair elastics.

vampyriccadence
November 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I do either bun on top of my head, or a single side braid. I sleep on my side a majority of the night. I didn't like two braids, I tend to flip around and I got tired of trying to move the braids around whenever I flipped.

JessL
November 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I put it in a sock bun on top of my head or I mist my hair and put it in several braids so it dries really wavy.

Helenae
November 13th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I tie it up on top of my head and twist it into a bun so it comes out with big waves in the morning :)

beckishness
November 13th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I french braid my hair before I go to sleep. I too have been meaning to get a satin pillowcase. :)

Vanilla
November 13th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I French braid upside down (flipping my head upside down) and having the tail at the top. My neck doesn't cramp this way and it protects my hair fairly well.

jeanniet
November 13th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I use a sleep bonnet, and sleep on a silk pillowcase. If you want to try out an inexpensive bonnet, Walmart or Walgreens carries the Stay-on Satin bonnets for about $2 and they work very well, although they can be a little warm in summer. Depending on where you are in Northern California, it may not be a big deal for you if your summer nights are cool.

Lostsoule77
November 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I sleep with a single English braid that I flip over the side of my pillow. I don't get many tangle this way, plus when I'm running late in the morning (as I often am) I can just throw it up into a braided bun and go. :D

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have a sudden urge to run out and buy a satin pillow case.

I usually leave it down, flipped over my non-satin pillow. :-) rarely I have braided, but one braid in the back bothers me so it would have to be two braids or one on the side. I haven't done it much in a while because I am still nursing/co-sleeping with my baby and he gets slapped in the face whenever we switch sides.

MJheals
November 13th, 2011, 09:11 PM
I was a bun on top of the head girl for a long time (ie, years and years), but it started to cause some breakage because I'm a restless sleeper. I switched to a satin sleep bonnet about a year ago, and I'm loving it! I almost don't need to style my hair in the morning, it looks so good. :D I would most definitely recommend it, and you can buy a fairly decent one at most dollar stores.

darklyndsea
November 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM
I try to remember to put my hair in either my satin sleep cap or tied up in my silk scarf, usually braided because it's harder to stuff it all in when it's loose.

Monkey962
November 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Lately I've been doing a loose braid tucked under my robe, which is very soft and smooth. I used to sleep with it loose, and occasionally still do if I'm too tired at the end of the day to braid it.

Copasetic
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM
If my hair is dry when I go to bed, then I do a loose bun on top of my head. If my hair is wet, then I wear a hair bonnet thing.

Arashi
November 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I usually do a French braid, and always use a satin pillowcase.

pretty wings
November 14th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I have an afro so I cannot sleep with loose hair. I just put it in four cornrows if my hair was in a loose style that day. Otherwise, my hair is already braided in cornrows or plaits so it's not a bother. I always sleep on a satin pillow case without fail.

jennygg
November 14th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I usually put it in one or two braids.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Silk pillowcase for me and I just leave mine out unless it's horribly hot, in which case I just braid it down the back. It is starting to get stuck in my armpits or when I turn over it gets caught underneath myself which is a bit annoying.

Hairwish
November 14th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I always braid or bun it.

RachieBaby
November 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I oil my hair then put it into two french plaits :) I love the volume they give me in the morning! :)

PorkChop
November 14th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Single plait

moon2dove
November 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I invested in a silk sleep cap. I bought it a week ago and it's the best thing for me, because it takes away the hassle of putting my hair up in a bun or a plait. :)

TheLorelei
November 14th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I use this method. It also curls my hair. When I dont want it super curly, I just put it up without spraying it with water, then I get very pretty waves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FV-YO46E8Y

PlainLight
November 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I sleep on my stomach so I just keep it in the same bun I wore during the day. Occasionally I let it down, but it feels hot and uncomfortable. :sad

Clelia
November 15th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I usually braid it in various ways or put it in two very high buns, or an alternative sock bun. But sometimes I am veeeery lazy and just leave it down.

IanB
November 15th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Well, I just lay down on the pillow and go to sleep. Always seems OK when I wake up in the morning :)

longhairedlady
November 15th, 2011, 03:55 AM
I read mine a bedtime story and say its prayers every night. :p

Jesabel
November 15th, 2011, 06:35 AM
I normally put it in a high bun but have been braiding recently.. and tonight I learned of the sock bun (rolled all the way up with all ends tucked in) and am going to see how that turns out for tonight :)

Fairlight63
November 15th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I am still searching.
I was wondering what do you use to secure the bun on top of your head with without it pulling hairs?

Madora
November 15th, 2011, 07:17 AM
I am still searching.
I was wondering what do you use to secure the bun on top of your head with without it pulling hairs?

Fairlight63, I found the trick to securing the bun on top of my head w/o it pulling hairs was to have a little slack where you start the bun. I bun my hair in the bent over position which makes it easier for me to braid my hair and then coil it in a bun. I braid loosely.

My buns are always braided as I found a braided bun held better (I tend to toss and turn at night). The bun is secured by 8 3 inch hairpins.

LadyLongLocks
November 15th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I wear mine down or my newest thing, a sleep cap! The sleep cap is working very well as long as I can keep it on. Buns never work for me to sleep in. The sleep cap might be the safest thing yet (although I look funny)I try to take it off before hubby wakes up.
I got mine at Sally's Beauty supply.
Credit goes to Cinnamon Hair for the idea :)

PriscillaCherel
November 15th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Loose - braid or bun it on top of my head =)

Becky9679
November 15th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I wear a pair of inside out satin pyjama bottoms on my head :D I could get a sleep cap but why bother when this works perfectly well? I secure it with a headband so that it doesn't come off in the night and it stays put perfectly. In fact sometimes I wear it around the house as well just to keep my hair out of the way without having it up up

Winged
November 15th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I either have it loose or wear it in a loose braid.

sun-kissed
November 15th, 2011, 11:43 AM
FINALLY, I've found a way that works for me! :D
I bend over and loosely braid my hair straight down, and tie it off, so that I have a braid coming out of the center of my head when I'm standing. It's quick, easy, and doesn't give me headaches or get in the way at night.

Corylina
November 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I just braid it in one english braid but now it is getting close to TB I think I'll make a satin sleep bonnet with a headband and a piece of satin.

Stessie
November 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm a back-sleeper. So, I can get away with two French braids. [One on each side of my head] :D And even if I somehow end up tossing and turning...the braids have never bothered me. xD Oh, and I oil my hair before braiding it. :]

I should probably look into getting a satin pillowcase. I'm just worried that my cat will completely destroy it. [She likes sleeping near my face or above my head, on my pillow.] :\

Dark Rapunzel
November 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I find that a bun right on the top of my head (a loose one of course) is best. I've tried braiding, I've tried leaving it loose, but I get great volume when I bun it on top.

Kamir0
November 17th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Since I have no satin pillow case or sleep cap (yet), I have been trying out various options...
Before joining LHC a month ago, I used to sleep in an English braid simply to keep hair out of the way and avoid DBF waking me up by rolling over it. Ouch!
The problem is I am a restless sleeper (apparently) because I get a lot of tangles at the top of the braid, at the nape of the neck, etc. Basically, the only hair that doesn't get tangled is the length that is in the braid. In fact, I have a lot of shorter (broken?) hair around my face and at the nape of the neck.
So I have tried stuffing my hair in a cotton scarf, which works pretty well, but the knots I do to tie the scarf bother me during the night.
Then, I tried a basic T-shirt, which worked pretty well actually, since I don't sleep on my back. I wore the neck of the T-shirt like when you start taking it off and only your face shows, if that makes sense. Then, I tied the base. And finally, I tied the sleeves together at the back of my head. I wore it down on my forehead to avoid pressure at the hairline and voilą! I suppose it would also work without tying the sleeves together, but better safe than sorry as far as I am concerned.

Actually, has anybody tried making their own sleeping cap? (I don't have any satin pajama bottoms I could use :).) I am thinking of making my own with a silky fabric I could get from the market or something...

In the meantime, I may try to wear a loose bun at the top of my head, with a scarf around my head (scalp area) to avoid friction. I'm worried that a braid dangling off the side of the bed would drive my cat crazy! :p

Cirafly24
November 17th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I wear a low bee butt bun under a satin sleep cap. Sometimes I just take the stick out of whatever bun I wore during the day and put the sleep cap on before it unravels.

The only downside for me is that I get a line across my forehead where the seam of the sleep cap rests during the night. It takes an hour or two to go away, so sometimes I have to go to work with a big line across my head haha!

Mischamiu
November 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I sleep with a braid, it really leaves your hair tangle-free, but I don't have a satin pillow I REALLY need to buy one

Diamond.Eyes
November 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I sleep on a satin pillowcase and either put my hair in a bun or French braid. When it's wet or when I'm extremely lazy, I just sleep with it down. :)

anka.ch
November 17th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I usually wear a high, loose bun - it gives me some volume in the morning :)

Diamond.Eyes I love you hair (colour and everything) :inlove::crush:

Jeido
November 17th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I just keep my hair down, sleep with a satin pillowcase, and use my tangle teezer in the morning.

CurlyCap
November 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Does anyone with curly hair sleep in a cap?

I love sleeping in a silk cap or handkerchief because it keeps my head so warm. It makes me sleep better. However, when I wake up my curls are all squashed and misshapen, almost matted onto my head. This never happens if I just sleep with my hair loose. Worse thing that happens is that the curl releases a little bit.

I shower at night because my job involves work with a lot of chemicals and I hate being cold (read: wet) first thing in the morning. That's why I'm not willing to re-wet my curls in the morning.

Idea experiences or ideas?

Miss Maisie
November 17th, 2011, 10:12 PM
My hair is between shoulder and APL, so I don't have to terribly many exciting options! Lately I've been putting my hair in big pin curls, and then it looks full and bouncy and amazing the next day.

Kamir0
November 18th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Does anyone with curly hair sleep in a cap?

I love sleeping in a silk cap or handkerchief because it keeps my head so warm. It makes me sleep better. However, when I wake up my curls are all squashed and misshapen, almost matted onto my head. This never happens if I just sleep with my hair loose. Worse thing that happens is that the curl releases a little bit.

I shower at night because my job involves work with a lot of chemicals and I hate being cold (read: wet) first thing in the morning. That's why I'm not willing to re-wet my curls in the morning.

Idea experiences or ideas?

I don't have curly hair, but my hair has no volume whenever I pack it too tightly. Is your sleeping cap roomy enough to accommodate all your hair? Also, do you wait for you hair to dry completely before you put the cap on? Just ideas...

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I just braid it loosely, usually more on the one side, so it comes in front :)

Shuan
November 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM
I have been bunning it up for the last few days and I must say I like it, I'm tangle-free in the morning. Not that I had that many to begin with, but still.

maria_tasha
November 18th, 2011, 03:09 AM
I have really straight hair and I usually sleep in a high ponytail or messy bun.

CurlyCap
November 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I don't have curly hair, but my hair has no volume whenever I pack it too tightly. Is your sleeping cap roomy enough to accommodate all your hair? Also, do you wait for you hair to dry completely before you put the cap on? Just ideas...

I sleep in a cap just slightly larger than a shower curl cap or a GIANT silk handkerchief. My curls are completely dry when I go to bed, and just above shoulder.

However, the heat and moisture from my scalp is almost all retained, which I think helps with the curls reforming into flat, mat-like things. :(

akuamoonmaui
November 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I don't do this every night, but I have been more and more. I put my hair in a very loose pony tail on top of my head, I then roll my hair in extra large curlers. I've never been able to sleep in curlers, but because it's on top of my head, it's really comfortable. In the morning I have very loose, frizz free wurls.

I also have satin pillow cases, which helps a lot, too.

archel
November 19th, 2011, 09:04 PM
French braid and satin pillowcase.

Lissandria
November 19th, 2011, 11:38 PM
french braid, dutch braid, english braid, pigtail braids (my new fav) :)

I used to do a high, messy bun, but im more than sure when I thrash my head against the pillow it caused breakage where the hairtie sat.