PDA

View Full Version : Fine/wavy hair and bangs

Arianwen
November 13th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I've avoided having bangs since, oh, 1989 (!) or so, as I think they look dumb with my hair type.

I have short to medium length hair now, a quasi-angled cut and I'm debating about whether or not to get bangs...I'm due for a trim in a few days and I'm considering getting bangs, as the long front part of my hair annoys me when I am running and such. I'm fearful it won't work though, as my hair type is uber fine and wavy.

Thoughts?

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM
My hair is fine and wavy, although it's less wavy than yours and probably finer. I've had fringes a lot. I always get them, and then I always pin them back. Now I'm seeing damage from bobby pins and I never want fringe again.

I think the shape of your face matters more than your hair type, and it's difficult to tell whether it will look good until you have them.

If your hair is very fine and thin and you are trying to grow it out, you might consider not getting the fringe just so that there will be more hair at your hemline. But if your hair is short enough at this stage that you'd be cutting less than 6 inches then I would get them just to see what they look like and they'll take less than a year to grow out.

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Also your signature made me go YAY! Are you in LLL and do you post at MDC? :D

spidermom
November 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Make sure that your face length is longer than your face width. Otherwise bangs will just squash your face (like it does to me).

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 12:01 PM
My hair is fine but thickish and I have wavy hair. My hair looked good with a blunt fringe but it was high maintenance as it needed washing and blow drying daily to keep it straight, plus it needed trimming fortnightly. Nowadays i have a side fringe as its easier!

You state your hair as being medium thickness, so it should look OK!

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Make sure that your face length is longer than your face width. Otherwise bangs will just squash your face (like it does to me).

Good point, maybe a side fringe would be a better option!

Arianwen
November 13th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I have an oval shaped face...

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 12:05 PM
id say go for it then! there fun and they soon grow if you change your mind!

Anywhere
November 13th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Face shape does matter, but so does hair texture!
You list your hair type as 2c/3a, so if you don't want to style the bangs every day, do not get blunt ones. Long side ones would be ok.

However, I don't see how cutting your hair short so it always hangs in your face will make it less annoying when running? My bangs (about nose length, which I wear to the side) get in my face so much, (aka jabbing my eyes) I am pinning them back often.

I think the only way bangs could stay out of your face enough not to annoy you would be with blunt, eyebrowish length bangs.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 03:41 PM
TBH, if I had wavy or curly hair, bangs would drive me crazy! At least if I wanted them straight.

I have naturally very straight hair and I do have bangs. I have a diamond-shaped face with a small, narrow forehead and I do in fact look a little squished, but that's okay, I kind of like that look on me. But many (most?) people would be dissatisfied with that illusion so I think I'm the exception. Do think about that.

OP, you say you've had bangs before and you didn't like how they looked *on you*. I wouldn't try for them if I were you, just based on that. Bangs aren't for everyone. :)

jesis
November 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I have hair similar to yours and an oval-shaped face. (At least I think I do!)

Here's a picture of me with bangs. They were eyebrow length, but I kept them over to the side for the most part. I loved them.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6801&pictureid=118734

jesis
November 13th, 2011, 04:00 PM
TBH, if I had wavy or curly hair, bangs would drive me crazy! At least if I wanted them straight.

I have naturally very straight hair and I do have bangs. I have a diamond-shaped face with a small, narrow forehead and I do in fact look a little squished, but that's okay, I kind of like that look on me. But many (most?) people would be dissatisfied with that illusion so I think I'm the exception. Do think about that.

OP, you say you've had bangs before and you didn't like how they looked *on you*. I wouldn't try for them if I were you, just based on that. Bangs aren't for everyone. :)

I always straightened my bangs. My thought was, if I lose a little length on them, oh well! I'm going to get them cut soon anyways.

GlennaGirl
November 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have hair similar to yours and an oval-shaped face. (At least I think I do!)

Here's a picture of me with bangs. They were eyebrow length, but I kept them over to the side for the most part. I loved them.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6801&pictureid=118734

I absolutely love these bangs on you.

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM
My hair used to be fine in texture and I had blunt bangs thin in amount. I decided to go with pixie bangs and love them.

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I have fine wavy hair to waist with bangs.Am growing out half my bangs as they were so thick but left a thinner fringe to stay.It helps soften updos for me.With medium thickness fine hair you should be fine.Don't worry about stuff,make it simple,if you like bangs,have them,if not ,don't,that's my motto.

Vanilla
November 13th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I'm echoing the other people here as far as the upkeep. I also had to wash, blow dry and straighten my bangs (or side bang, I've had both) every day, as I get annoying waves at my temples no matter the length of my hair. I loved the way they looked though.

turtlelover
November 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I've got fine, wavy hair with bangs. I like them for the most part. I can straighten them in less than a minute, and they soften the look of updos, etc. One thing I HATE is when I sweat in the summer and they curl and stick to my forehead, but in that case, I twist them up into mini claw clips and forget about them!

Arianwen
November 14th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I'm going to try to get a trim today - I'll talk to the stylist some more...I'm still waffling over this decision. Perhaps with a decent trim, the front bits of my hair won't be in my eyes when it is windy etc anymore...

auroraclio
November 14th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I have bangs and my hair is wavy, I have the straighten them every time I wash or else they curl up and away from my face. If you don't mind the upkeep I say go for it!

I'm growing mine out now, i'm too lazy