PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone wear crown braids at bed time?

bunzfan
November 13th, 2011, 05:50 AM
I am laid low with a very nasty cold so spent the last two days in bed and this morning it got me wondering what is a comfy bed style i find braids uncomfortable as mine are quite thick,i tried a crown braid it looks pretty and i was able to lie down comfortably without the braided part bothering me even with about 12 hair pins in it.

So does anyone wear this at bed time? even when slept on it still looked good i have a hard time with bed times styles as my braids are thick and i sleep on my side or back mostly. I find buns on the top of my head start to pull and sag quite quickly but this doesn't:cheese:

Here is a picture of it:
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/001_opt9.jpg

Sundial
November 13th, 2011, 06:00 AM
May I suggest torrinpaige's hair taping? Since you're in bed most of the time while you're sick, it might be more comfortable to have a pin less style and this seems to be similar to the crown braid without the pins. I thought you might find the hair taping more comfortable.

bunzfan
November 13th, 2011, 06:04 AM
May I suggest torrinpaige's hair taping? Since you're in bed most of the time while you're sick, it might be more comfortable to have a pin less style and this seems to be similar to the crown braid without the pins. I thought you might find the hair taping more comfortable.

I have seen the video and like it but i think my hair is a bit short for it, i thought you needed at least waist length hair?

Sundial
November 13th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I have seen the video and like it but i think my hair is a bit short for it, i thought you needed at least waist length hair?

Sorry! :o I thought she meant waist length based on her thickness and I saw from your stats that you're ii at mid back, so I thought you could give it a try :o I can't do the crown braid properly at my length, and I was impressed that you could do one so I thought you might be able to tackle the hair taping

GeoJ
November 13th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I've done true crown braids on my DD and used hair taping to secure the excess length. I have kept those styles in my DD's hair for up to 3 days before it started looking messy. So I think it is OK to sleep in that style as long as you don't have hairpins in it.

Madora
November 13th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I've worn lace crown braids at night on some occasions and found them to be comfy (I toss and turn a lot).

I'm kinda puzzled why you should need so many pins at night, however. If your braids are the "lace" variety, then theoretically they should be "locked" into place around your head, except for the last 4 inches (judging from your photo).

If you want to use less hairpins, could you just take the end of the braid and weave it through where you began the braid then use a few hairpins to secure the woven in braid?

bunzfan
November 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
I've worn lace crown braids at night on some occasions and found them to be comfy (I toss and turn a lot).

I'm kinda puzzled why you should need so many pins at night, however. If your braids are the "lace" variety, then theoretically they should be "locked" into place around your head, except for the last 4 inches (judging from your photo).

If you want to use less hairpins, could you just take the end of the braid and weave it through where you began the braid then use a few hairpins to secure the woven in braid?

I only used so many hair pins because i didn't want it to come loose, but i may try what you suggest so i only need one or two. Thank you.

sarahramen
November 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Not frequently, but when I do, I get excellent waves that start from close to the scalp. I do the lace variety so it only takes 1 or 2 good days hair pins to make the 'tail' stay, its quite comfortable.

Madora
November 13th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Bunzfan, sorry I forgot to mention that I use a Topsy Tail device to weave the ends in.

Also, to make a less bumpy transition when weaving, try undoing the braid tassle for about 6 inches, then just weave the unplaited hair thru the braid already in place and pin as desired. Hope you feel better soon!

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I love crown braids! I dont have enough hair to have them look good (yet!) but perhaps I should practice by trying it as a sleep style...