PDA

View Full Version : Whose hair "inspired" YOU?

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Hi everyone! My first post!

Who had the hair that first inspired you to go long?

For me it was Princess Buttercup in The Princess Bride. :-)

Also my grandma and aunt (dad's side) Grandma wrapped her braids around her head and for years my aunt kept hers in a thick black braid down to her hips. (they had the thick Native American hair, I got my mom's Irish hair haha.)

And, of course, Princess Leia in Return of the Jedi.

Blond On Blond
November 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Veronica Lake. Always :)

Kira94
November 13th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Ooh! Definitely the ones you posted! Minus your aunt and Grandma of course. :)
Ever After was also a big inspiration, and LOTR. . . I'll see if I can think of others later. :D

PaganPriestess
November 13th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Probably the two witch aunts in Practical Magic. Love that movie! And the older I get the "witchier" I seem to look, the long hair really fits the part. :)

krissykins
November 13th, 2011, 01:12 AM
I don't recall anyone inspiring me to want to grow long hair. I've always enjoyed having long hair on myself. I had waist length hair in 2007, but chopped it off for Locks of Love. I regretted that decision and decided to start growing again in 2009.

I do want to mention that the person whose hair inspired me to join LHC was Shell. I saw a picture of her beautiful tailbone length hair and since her hairtype is similar to mine, I decided I wanted to be a part of LHC. The funny thing is that she cut her hair so now mine is longer than hers. :silly:

SomethingCooler
November 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Jasmine from Aladdin

longhairedlady
November 13th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I cant recall anyone in paticular but I have always admired long hair!

DancingQueen
November 13th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I have always admired long hair, but I think it was when I saw some youtube tutorials by Torrinpaige, that I started to want my hair long. :p

tamchronic
November 13th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Arwen and Eowyn in the Lord of the Rings films are big hair inspirations for me. There's also Rapunzel from Tangled, of course.

There's a lot of classical art that inspires me, too, such as Franz Xavier Winterhalter's 'Madame Barbe de Rimsky Korsakov':

http://www.oceansbridge.com/paintings/artists/recently-added/march-2006/Franz-Xavier-Winterhalter/big/Franz-Xavier-Winterhalter-xx-Madame-Barbe-de-Rimsky-Korsakov-1864-xx-Musee-D-Orsay.jpg

and this painting of Lady Emma Hamilton by Elisabeth Vigee Le Brun:

http://blog.catherinedelors.com/wp-content/uploads/Vig-e-Lebrun-Lady-Hamilton-as-Ariadne.jpg]

There are also a few girls who wear lolita fashion that I've encountered online with marvellously long hair, such as this girl: http://www.wei-c-chen.com/fanny/ -- who have inspired me to grow my own.

Loreley
November 13th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I can't remember exactly. As a child I loved Princess Jasmine, Rapunzel and Ariel. Heidi and Sissi were also my inspiration. I always wanted very long hair, so I don't know who was the first.

Evie
November 13th, 2011, 02:49 AM
For me, it was some of the folks on here - I'd always loved long hair in movies but it was people here with gorgeous long hair IRL that made me realise it was possible, and beautiful, and an attainable goal. Singling out precisely who is more tricky, there are so many lovely heads of hair on here :)

Shesta
November 13th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I was first inspired by Terry Goodkind's Mord-siths. That was years ago, when I was reading the "The Sword of Truth" books. At that time I was also admiring a girl at my school with a classic length braid.

PaganPriestess
November 13th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I was first inspired by Terry Goodkind's Mord-siths. That was years ago, when I was reading the "The Sword of Truth" books. At that time I was also admiring a girl at my school with a classic length braid.

My geeky husband is a huge fan of the Sword of Truth series. He always says my hair looks like how he imagines Kahlan's to look. And he loves it if I put it up in a Mord-Sith braid lol

rock007junkie
November 13th, 2011, 05:49 AM
She doesn't have the longest hair but it's definitely the thickest most beautiful hair I've ever seen. it belongs to Salma Hayek.

Bazinga
November 13th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Definitely my cousin's hair. She is so beautiful with her long long hair and I felt so awkward standing next to her with my pixie (which needed a cut and looked horrible). I started lurking here that same evening.

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Ive always loved long hair but my first sighting of very longhair was my first day at school. I was 4 years old and my teacher was called Miss. Adams she had classic? maybe longer Irish red, thick , very wavy hair it was beautiful.

I have only really had short hair 2 or 3 times in my life and have always had shoulder or just below hair, so I suppose ive always been a long hair really, just never as long as I am now!

Annibelle
November 13th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I've always loved long hair, but I never consciously decided to grow it myself until I got with SO, whose hair was and still is always between HL and TBL. I have the same goal length, but my hair will still look very short next to his, since he's a foot taller than me! :p

Melisande
November 13th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I have always loved long hair and never had really short hair, never a "proper hairstyle". it was always long, cut back a bit or a bit more, and then long again. I never saw myself with short hair although there are women with relatively short hair who look great with it - Mary Astor, Grace Kelly, Carole Lombard. But I never felt that it's for me.

When I was a child at school in a little town in Germany, an American girl went to my class for a year (her father worked as researcher in a research faculty in our area). Her name was Laurie, and on her first day at school, she wore a lovely raspberry colored dress and had her long, thick, blonde, wavy hair down to her waist at least. Wow, I loved her hair and thought she was the prettiest girl I ever saw. Everybody wanted to be Laurie's friend.

Some weeks or days later, Laurie cut her hair. It looked cute on her, she was still a pretty girl, but somehow, for me she had lost her magic. I remember thinking about it as a child - how strange it was that so much of her charm was related to her lovely lovely hair. I can't remember much about Laurie but I will never forget that first day when we all gasped as we saw her hair.

So if there was an inspiration in my childhood, it was Laurie. After that, my longing for long hair was a perpetuum mobile that fed itself...

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Wow, I remember as a kindergartner three little girls came to school with long hair. I think none of them had ever had theirs cut. I was 4 and I think that is when the long hair bug actually bit but I was never patient enough over the years to let it grow out. (I think also my mom wasn't so interested in me having so much hair for HER to deal with, either.) over the next few years the girls competed over who had the longest hair. The rest of us took sides and even had silly school yard "arguments" over it, picking and changing sides. Eventually they all cut their hair in the next year or so. But like someone said, there was this sort of "magic" about their long hair

Madora
November 13th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I loved Judy Garland's braids in The Wizard of Oz (even if it was a wig).

But I really was inspired by Franz Xavier Winterhalter's glorious portrait of Empress Elizabeth of Austria with her hair down, as well as the previously posted portrait of Mme. Rimsky Korsakov.

And Veronica Lake had the most glorious long, blonde hair in films!

Sakuracha
I'm inspired by many peoples and characters hair, but Sailor Moon was my first long hair inspiration.

Masara
I don't think anything really inspired me. I had longer hair hair as a child and since then it's become sort of "default"; when in doubt, stop cutting :p
I've had very short phases and then when I get bored, I go back to long. I feel more "me" with longer hair.
Several members here have inspired me to keep growing beyond my normal boredom level.

Aerin
November 13th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I never really cared about long hair before my psychology class senior year of college. There was this girl with probably hip length, very straight, shiny black hair. Whenever she wore it down I was paying more attention to her hair than to class! After that, I admired long hair in general, though it wasn't until I found LHC that I thought I might have a chance of making my hair as long and healthy.

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think it was probably Tarja Turunen from Nightwish, the old Nightwish, and Amy Lee. They both have hair that I really don't consider long anymore, it's maybe at BSL or MB, perhaps Waist... But they were the ones who got me started. I used to be a goth.

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I go thru "chopping" phases a lot. You know,like, once a month (rolling eyes.) just this past week I posted on FB that I was gonna do something drastic with my hair. I had knee length in 2008 and cut it off up to mid neck. Seriously one of my life's biggest regrets, depressed for months, and the cut was terrible. :-( anyway whenever I get that urge to just get rid of it I'll see a random Hispanic or Desi (Indian/Pakistani) girl at Walmart and find myself following her around hahaha j/k. (sorta) I'm actually married to a Pakistani and when we went to Pakistan in 2006 I scored lots of extra points by having the longest hair ;-) and most had never seen a blonde in person hahaha

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 01:51 PM
The painting, the Accolade, by Edmund Blair Leighton was my inspiration.

MungoMania
November 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
A friend of mine had really thick classic length hair. She was my first hair inspiration.

Earelia
November 13th, 2011, 02:01 PM
All the ladies of Lord of the Rings. I know it's not real and that they were wearing wigs made from human hair but still. Gorgeous. Especially Miranda and Cate... Gorgeous with those waves.

Avital88
November 13th, 2011, 02:16 PM
everything longer and thicker than my own inspires me

turtlelover
November 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
My first long hair inspiration was my pre-school teacher when I was 4 years old! She had long, thick, dark, shiny hair past her waist. I remember being mesmerized when she would unbraid it occasionally. Once, I remember her talking about possibly cutting her hair, and I pretended to be sick and skipped school for a day because I was soooo upset that she might cut her beautiful hair. I was really happy when she didn't go through with it.

invisiblebabe
November 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Princess Jasmine, in 4th grade. :)

Rowan1980
November 13th, 2011, 02:20 PM
This is going to sound very strange, but there's a cashier at my local **coughWalmartcough** who sports these waist-length, auburn French braided pigtails. DW and I are in awe with her hair, but we don't want to potentially freak her out by telling her how awesome it looks. We figure she deals with enough in her job.

dulce
November 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Since am older, I look to older gray long haired role models eg Yasminna Rossi,Cindy Joseph etc.

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 02:27 PM
My aunt kris with her hip length hair.

Earelia
November 13th, 2011, 02:33 PM
I'm inspired by many peoples and characters hair, but Sailor Moon was my first long hair inspiration.

Haha, I used to try to put my hair in little meatball head buns when I was little. :p

apple cupcake
November 13th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Uhhh, I'm a 90s kid so I was really into Sailor Moon. I identify with her. And I wanted her hair lol. The girls in that show just have fantastic hair... and girls from anime in general have awesome hair 8D

pes3108
November 13th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Sooo my inspiration is a little weird ... I saw a picture of my boyfriend's ex girlfriend and she has beautiful tailbone length straight blonde hair. At first I was soo jealous of it, but then thought why not grow mine out?

HeatherJenae
November 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Mine would be Blair Fowler from YouTube and pictures of my mom when she was younger.

Brenda714
November 13th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Cindy Crawford! Even though it was never really long by LHC standards, that's the way I want mine to look like! About when she had it bsl.

Peter
November 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Covan (second from the left) (http://reversecurrent.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/decapitated.jpg)

Vreth (http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_loe6j8xnsu1qj21bxo1_400.jpg)

CariadA
November 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
When I was young, I wanted hair like Winnie Cooper's (The Wonder Years).

misspurdy06
November 13th, 2011, 07:38 PM
My sister. When we were younger I would always have shorter hair and hers would be very long and curly. Now we are the opposite.

I have long wavy hair and she cuts hers chin length.

KwaveT
November 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM
This is going to sound very strange, but there's a cashier at my local **coughWalmartcough** who sports these waist-length, auburn French braided pigtails. DW and I are in awe with her hair, but we don't want to potentially freak her out by telling her how awesome it looks. We figure she deals with enough in her job.

Your answer sounds a lot like mine. I am a Wal-mart cashier. My inspiration is another cashier at work. She is about my age. She has dark, wavy hair as I do even though mine is black. I talk with her all the time in break room and while we are on the register. I admire the heck out of her hair. I am always noticing what she does with her waist length hair. She wears it loose, pony-tails it, uses buns. I have even told her that I am growing my hair to the waist like hers. She is married so that is obviously just a work-time sort of friendship since we talk a good bit periodically. I don't think I have seen anybody with waist length hair in my family so she is definitely my inspiration.

Sakuracha
November 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Haha, I used to try to put my hair in little meatball head buns when I was little. :p

I tried that too :)

Lici1209
November 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I agree, Arwen and Eowyn may have been a factor, though not consciously :P

My hair has never been longer than shoulder length, so I just wanted to try something new! So now whenever I see anyone with long hair I'm jealous.

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Winnie Cooper! Oh yeah!

There was this Japanese guy at our university one semester. He had "classic" length, wavy from braiding (I assume.) He kept it down during the day, it wasn't blindingly shiny or anything but when he walked across campus it was like one of those slow motion moments in a movie with electric guitar playing in the back groud hahaha everyone, male and female, was in awe. He kept to himself, though. It's a small campus in Arkansas, long hair guys can get by, there were a few others,but not quite THAT long. He was only there one semester.

bbvt
November 13th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have always had long hair but pictures of Brenda Song made me want my hair even longer!

battles
November 13th, 2011, 08:54 PM
No one initially inspired me to start growing my hair, but since I found LHC I've been inspired daily. :)

Modarunner
November 13th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Jane Seymour was my first hair inspiration. I watched her on Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman and her long hair was to die for. That has always been in the back of my head whenever I decide to grow it long. Also, Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman in Practical Magic, I loved their long, wavy, shiny hair in that movie and loved it when they wore their hair in two braided pigtails that went down to their waist. Love it!!!

FroggyMonkeyMom
November 13th, 2011, 09:29 PM
:-O!!! How could I have forgotten about Dr. Quinn! Definitely on my list.

Anyone remember Crystal Gayle? I used to get asked a lot if I was trying to be Crystal Gayle :-P

chelshireling
November 13th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Arwen! When I hadshort hair i remember thinking 'i want elf hair!'

w/o freak
November 13th, 2011, 10:39 PM
:-O!!! How could I have forgotten about Dr. Quinn! Definitely on my list.

Anyone remember Crystal Gayle? I used to get asked a lot if I was trying to be Crystal Gayle :-P

Crystal Gayle was my inspiration!

CorinaS
November 14th, 2011, 02:27 AM
I wanted to have very long hair when I first saw LOTR. That's when I also dyed it blonde, but that was a failure. Ariel, Aurora and Rapunzel also have great hair. I'm also a lot into metal, but no one has inspired me; I like hair to have a little volume, while metal-ladies always wear it very slick (in Romanian: licked by the cow's tongue;)).

Chibbylick
November 14th, 2011, 03:17 AM
My Littlest sister was born with long hair, (many of her baby photos are of the back of her head to highlight her piggy tails) it never rubbed of, and by the time she was 18 months old was down to her hips. Watching her hair grow, and seeing the curls and wave develop helped me understand my hair so much better. (We are 16 years apart in age.) From her I realised that the annoying bit of hair in my fringe that never lay how i wanted it too was both part of my cowlick, and curling, and if I let it grow longer it would stop trying to stab my eye ball! Another of my sisters has had classic length hair for years, and although her hair texture is completely different from mine, that also gives me hope I can grow longer.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Buttercup's hair was inspiring for me too but I had long hair already at that stage.

Seeing Cate Blanchett as Galadriel in LOTR reminded me of how l used to have long hair and then I think I noticed how long Arwen's was etc etc. I got out an older picture of myself when I was 21 and my hair was at it's longest.

Then I wanted long hair again.

justgreen
November 15th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Emily Procter (http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=709&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsol&tbnid=0jrw85Vp1FFi8M:&imgrefurl=http://www.profilekiss.com/picture/code-38/emily%2Bprocter.html&docid=JDgcV0fVy1C16M&imgurl=http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r185/tocatrojan/EmilyProcter.jpg&w=512&h=673&ei=UfnCTuHPKaOTiAL-5NSGDA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=489&vpy=265&dur=362&hovh=257&hovw=196&tx=105&ty=135&sig=102192714421550898153&page=5&tbnh=140&tbnw=103&start=82&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:82) Calleigh Duquesne on CSI Miami

Leah Polamalu
November 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Anna Kournikova:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1391/894115296_23b24ea162.jpg

TheBluffs
November 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Barbie from Barbie as Rapunzel . Sounds funny, but I was 10, and watched Barbie's long, ankle length braid as she moved around.
'Wow!' I though to my 10 year old self 'Barbie has some amazing hair! Why can't I have hair that long?'.
Some gears started turning, and the neurons were flying. Right there and then, I decided that my shoulder length hair was one day going ankle length.

wallflower
November 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
When I was little, my mom's friend's daughter (around 10 years old at the time) had floor length light blonde hair. It was GORGEOUS. I wanted hair like hers so bad.

I remember her dressing up as a mermaid one Halloween, it was precious. ^_^ Later, when she chopped it to chin length, her Mom kept it and hung it on her bedroom door. A long blonde braid with a blue bow at the end. LOL.

Funnily enough, I never consciously decided to grow my hair as long as it is now (past knee length). I just sort of neglected it after 6th grade and let it do whatever it pleased, and it decided to keep growing. :P

HintOfMint
November 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM
My first case of long hair envy was Aurora from Disney's Sleeping Beauty when I was 4. Try telling a little brown girl with a bob that she can't have long golden hair that spirals into mini cinnamon buns at the ends... Just. Try. It.

Bantam
November 16th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I wasn't inspired by anyone. It's not in my nature. My hair grew because I didn't want to go to the hairdressers. The more it grew, the more I liked it.:)

Jesabel
November 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM
When I was younger I always like Princess Jasmines long dark hair but never made the connection to grow my own hair to be like that.. Although I've wanted longer hair for a while now, my boyfriends older sister is probably my inspiration. Her hair is dark and waist length and wavy but so incredibly healthy and shiny! After I saw her hair I looked into hair care more and got my dead ends trimmed off.. hehe.

Chetanlaiho
November 16th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Misako Aoki's: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-SKZ75l7tCTY/Tq0Nus-iN8I/AAAAAAAABeo/9jByPc-HVTs/s400/misako+aoki2.jpg

She's the one who originally made me decide on waist length hair (different picture) and now she's making me want ^that length and long for my bangs back xD

Lucky
November 16th, 2011, 06:33 AM
When I think back, I've always loved long hair, from the time I was a little girl.

I was obsessed by the Rapunzel story when I was very young, I think it was all about the hair!

There was also Crystal Gale, I used to run to the TV if ever she was on (this was late 70s, early 80s when she was very popular). She was big in our household.

My great aunt had tailbone length hair up until the day she died, it was bright white and amazing. She always wore it in a bun, but I remember one time I saw her take it down to brush it out and I was just in awe.

As I got older, I of course loved Princess Lea, The Princess Bride and later on, the LOTR trilogy was so inspiring (it still is!). I do like the hair in Game of Thrones too, lots of beautiful long hair in that series too.

ETA: I also had a Tropical Barbie doll that had ankle length hair (if memory serves) and I loved her more than all of my other Barbies.

MonaLisa
November 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Disney princesses, my entire childhood.
I know I've always wanted long hair.

And right now, it's you guys! Learned so much, and saw so many beautiful photos...

Ligeia_13
November 16th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Amy Lee :rolleyes:

BlazingHeart
November 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I hope this doesn't sound pompous, but mostly myself. I have let my hair grow fairly long in the past, waist length when I was 14-15, hip length when I was 18. I never had much taper, even though it was down all the time and I did things like brushing wet and rubbing with a towel, so I always wondered just how long my hair was capable of growing.

Other people whose hair interested me included a friend in high school with a waist or hip length braid, pictures of my mother in her teens when she had BCL hair, and a woman who used to go to the same college basketball games my family went to. She had waist or a little longer blonde hair, very straight, and I remember one night she walked past my dad and his college buddies and every one of them stopped talking and watched her walking away.

eresh
November 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
ETA: I also had a Tropical Barbie doll that had ankle length hair (if memory serves) and I loved her more than all of my other Barbies.

Me too!! :):)

ebba
November 16th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Princess Odette from Swan princess haha

Cirafly24
November 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Amy Lee :rolleyes:

Ditto! She had the most amazing TBL hair.

I was so sad when she cut her hair to chin in 2008. My hair is longer than hers was at it's longest now, I think. Her hair is back at waist now, but I think she has a lot of layers...it doesn't look as thick as it used to. She's letting more of her natural texture show these days, it's still very pretty.

dili
November 16th, 2011, 03:41 PM
when i was small i saw the movie pocahontas and stayed like `` wow`` and told everybody that i wanted have hairs like pocahontas!
but who really inspired me growing my hairs now was my husband`s grandma, she have classic lenght hair, very thick, and she is 85 year old!! she told me her secret is coconut oil:p its working for me

Piyo
November 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM
As a kid it was always Sailor Moon (or sailor Venus), I loved the cartoon and wanted hair just like theirs!

I know have lots of inspirations. Manon of the Spring comes to mind:
http://image.toutlecine.com/photos/m/a/n/manon-des-sources-1986-11-g.jpg

I loved how wild and free it looks.

MissCoco
November 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
In chronological order: Pocahontas, Thumbelina, Jasmine, Princess Leia, Crystal Gayle and finally, longhaired women who are influenced by cultures that continue to appreciate long hair (eg India, China, Hawaii, etc.) :D

Helenae
November 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Would have to be my friend's little sister.
She's four and has knee long beautiful thick curly brown hair.

Jessibear2854
December 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Crystal Gayle was my inspiration, way back when I was a little girl! I've always wanted long hair.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSFUR77V_TdyXnzneuYYk_jNLMEtNTE GUive5vgKKHhQ5R980g

ArwenUndomiel
December 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I was inspired to grow my hair a few years ago while watching The Lord of the Rings movies but never really did anything about it. I thought that all three of the female characters were absolutely beautiful with their long hair and never really thought that I could have the same thing. Now I am determined to try. Right now my hair is about 6 inches from my waist but I do have a few long layers that I wish didn't exist.

Lady Winchester
September 6th, 2023, 09:59 PM
I wasn't inspired by anyone. It's not in my nature. My hair grew because I didn't want to go to the hairdressers. The more it grew, the more I liked it.:)

Same with me. I had short hair all through grade school and probably just got tired of it. Also, I used to dye it a lot in high school (black, blonde, brown) and wanted to get it back to healthy again, so I left it alone. Don't think I really have a inspiration (so I might be in the minority) for growing my hair long (but one of my aunts used to have long, curly hair, so perhaps she's a bit of an inspiration. She now wears it just below the shoulders and dyes it blonde, probably to hide the grays, since she's in her mid sixties).

Priska
September 6th, 2023, 10:26 PM
Rachel Green's. The latter.

angel-baby
September 6th, 2023, 11:00 PM
I've always liked long (hip length or longer) hair, and have had tailbone length hair a few times before.
Most recently, lilmisslouise on IG inspired me to grow long again instead of maintaining in the APL-BSL range.

yvainee
September 8th, 2023, 08:02 AM
Arwen is a classic! I always liked long hair in movies but I also loved experimenting with haircuts so I didn't grow out my hair for a long time. I remember also being fascinated by Claire Dane's hair in Stardust even though looking at it now it's not even that long but it looked magical. There were extensions in her hair though and apparently she has said in an interview that they destroyed her hair so I think you should always be cautious before taking inspiration from movies. But even looking at pictures of people's real hair can be frustrating if their hair type is just completely different from mine. I'm just trying to take my own hair to its best potential now.

pumpkinsage
September 8th, 2023, 07:04 PM
There have been many people with long hair that I've admired in the past but I think PrettyShepherd was the final push to get me to grow my hair long. Her hair story is inspiring and I always go back to watch her knee length hair care routine where she washes her hair once a month. It's such a nice relaxing video and she seems super sweet. I watch her video like once every 1-2 months and it keeps me motivated to grow. She also does a lot of cool folk hairstyles and folk clothing with the occasional modern hairstyle sprinkled in.

angel-baby
September 8th, 2023, 08:00 PM
There have been many people with long hair that I've admired in the past but I think PrettyShepherd was the final push to get me to grow my hair long. Her hair story is inspiring and I always go back to watch her knee length hair care routine where she washes her hair once a month. It's such a nice relaxing video and she seems super sweet. I watch her video like once every 1-2 months and it keeps me motivated to grow. She also does a lot of cool folk hairstyles and folk clothing with the occasional modern hairstyle sprinkled in.

I love her hair! Not to mention her whole aesthetic

floridaorchid
September 8th, 2023, 08:12 PM
Coffee&Makeup made me want to really grow my heart out, and the reason I found this community!
PrettyShepard is also amazing, and I agree her aesthetic is very pleasing.

Evangely
September 12th, 2023, 02:56 AM
Oh, nice. The one who inspired me was a Dutch author called Roxane van Iperen. When I saw her hair I realised my hair could actually be beautiful if long, if only I would accept it's texture and thickness for what is is. I always wanted straight silky hair, but if it can be long like named author, then I wouldn;t want it any other way! Learning to embrace every single curl, hair and level of porosity :) <3

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/Roxane_van_Iperen%2C_2018.jpg

maborosi
September 12th, 2023, 08:50 AM
A friend of mine from college- we fell out of touch some time ago, but she had awesome, TBL length hair. I told her I wanted to grow mine long and I remember her saying "Do it, then!"
Hahaha. Peer-pressure!

Rapunzel45
September 13th, 2023, 08:01 PM
Crystal Gayle the singer . I have always loved her hair .

fairy_hair
September 15th, 2023, 11:46 PM
Barbie Rapunzel!!

lithostoic
September 16th, 2023, 03:23 PM
I never liked getting haircuts but I was 10 when the movie Aquamarine came out. Sara Paxton plays a mermaid and has long blonde waves. Loved her hair! I also watched anime as a youngster and many of the characters, male and female, have long beautiful hair.

ladyofthewoods
September 19th, 2023, 07:14 PM
LOTR Galadriel was the start for me. Now holistic habits and naturally Antonia are the two long hairs I get motivation from. The are into natural products like myself.

WednesdayAddams
September 19th, 2023, 08:17 PM
Jane Seymour! She was in some Sinbad movie when I was very little, and I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Lady Stardust
September 20th, 2023, 02:24 AM
Jane Seymour! She was in some Sinbad movie when I was very little, and I thought she was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger :) I loved the long hair in that film too, when I was a kid. Also Princess Leia in Star Wars and Princess Aura in Flash Gordon. Oh and Daisy Duke :rollin:

These days it’s my daughter that inspires me. Her hair is similar to mine, but better :) She’s encouraging me to grow my hair, and hers looks so beautiful it definitely spurs me on.

SundaesRae
September 21st, 2023, 12:37 AM
I was fortunate enough to have several long-haired people in my life. One of my closest friends in kindergarten had beautiful, wavy, golden-brown hair that was nearly classic; she always wore it down and I really admired it. I actually thought that she was the reason I decided to grow out my hair but apparently, I had decided that before I had even met her, but she was still part of my ideal growing up. My brother's case manager in elementary school was a tall woman with hair that she wore in a massively thick braid that went past her waist, it had a lot of texture to it, so visually it was very impressive. I also have a much older cousin who at that point in time wore her curly, red, HPL hair down most of the time and I really admired how it looked.

One of my teachers in 5th and 6th grade was a tiny woman (I'm not tall and I think we were the same height), who always were her hair up in a braid that was tucked up in some fashion. She told me she would show me how if my hair got long enough. I actually have a memory of us measuring my hair at one point (22", I think). I think we talked about hair care on occasion because my mom didn't like it and didn't have any idea of what to do with it. She was to me someone who always seemed elegant and put together, and that is very much part of my ideal of long hair.

If I were to name a fictional inspiration, the Little Women maybe? They talked a lot about hair, it's meaning, maintenance and styling in that book, and I think I had read that in 5th grade so that all would have been the same time period. So that would have been the first time that I really had an accessible model of long haircare, whereas before that point I had been pretty much on my own.

DoulaGran
September 21st, 2023, 07:45 AM
There's a youtuber named "Katherine Sewing" and although she mainly features her historical sewing, she also has hip length hair that happens to be the hair type as mine. Her hair is gorgeous, so I watch whatever she posts and try to follow her hair routine...........which happens to be a Victorian protocol. I may never have her hair because I'm older than she is be a good 20 years, but my hair is a lot healthier! :)

Jonas
October 25th, 2023, 07:38 AM
I remember I saw a photo on here, probably in 2013 or 2014 of a beautiful lady with long white hair she toned up with purple! She looked like a magical fairy and i wanted hair just like that as soon as I saw it