PDA

View Full Version : Is it growing or is it terminal?

jesis
November 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Okay, so maybe I am overanalyzing this. DBF brought up to me today that he doesn't think my hair is growing. I have been measuring at around 25" since the beginning of June. I have left the measuring tape, and my hair, for that matter, alone for quite some time. I was hoping to see at least an inch progress today since I haven't measured since June, but I get nothing. I'm so disappointed. My hair grew about 3 inches between December and June and then basically just stopped growing.

I do think my hemline is thickening up. I have had 2 trims since last December and each time my stylist said she only took off less than 1/4". I trust her judgement.

I S&D regularly, wear my hair up often, almost never use heat. I've straightened my hair once since July, immediately did an S&D, and got a trim shortly thereafter.

I am very gentle with my hair. I wash it gently, I condition it gently, I comb it gently, I put it up gently, I never do damaging hairstyles. I watch my ends closely. I do regular clarifying treatments and deep conditioning treatments. My hair LOOKS great. I'm very happy with the condition. I always get compliments on it. It just won't grow.

I've reached this point many times in the past, however unhealthy it was at the time. I'm starting to wonder if I haven't hit terminal. I had long, long hair as a child. Probably about TBL or BCL. Does this mean I can still grow to that length now? I have been trying to grow my hair out since I was 17, but only gave up heat and dye last September. I'm wondering if my hair is still suffering from this damage or if I'm past that.

I've been taking multivitamins. I make sure my hair is moisturized. I protect it from the weather. I don't use hairspray and the gel I use never caused a problem before. I haven't changed any of my products.

I got the flu this week and couldn't brush my hair, or move, really, for a few days. It was a MESS. I think I lost some of my thickness (if you could call it that) and I'm not sure if it was from combing out the tangles, or from being sick. All I know is that huge clumps of hair were falling out today in the shower. That did not make me happy.

I guess I just don't know if it's actually growing. It's been a year and all I've gained is 3". I'm tired of wearing my hair curly every day. I miss straightening it. I don't want to wear it up all of the time. I just want it to grow...

Here are some pictures I took today to show you where it's at. Sorry if they're large, I tried to scale them down a bit.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-11-12at19322.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-11-12at19334.jpg

Stretched v Unstretched.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-11-12at19343.jpg

My bangs have probably grown 8" since last September. It's weird that the rest of my hair has grown less than half that.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s317/jesisx/Photoon2011-11-12at1935.jpg

Annibelle
November 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Your hair looks very pretty! You might just be in a natural growth stall. :) I've got a naturally slow growth rate, and if I had a stall, I wouldn't grow much at all! (I HAVE had a stall these last few years, but I think mine is health related.) If you're worried, see a doctor. I think that terminal length is usually indicated by severe FTE.

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
It's not at terminal, or I doubt it is. Just a lapse in growth. Take vitamins, eat healthy, don't stress.

jesis
November 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Okay that makes sense. I have seen a doctor recently. She tested me for everything under the moon because I just wasn't feeling well. All of my tests came out normal, but I did have some issues with my teeth shortly thereafter. That was over 6 months ago, though, so I think my health is mainly back to normal by now.

Thanks for the kind comment, by the way! :)

spidermom
November 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
It's hard to say. I have fast-growing years and slow-growing years. This has been one of the slow ones. If I were you, I'd get a shirt with horizontal stripes and get one length picture each equinox and solstice (every 3 months). If you go a year and see no growth at all, I'd say you're at the longest possible length for you. (hint - when I am doing length pictures, I wait until the day before I'm going to wash it because it's the straightest that it ever gets naturally after a couple of days of being combed and bunned)

I don't think the length of your hair as a child predicts the length of your hair as an adult. For one thing, think how much shorter the distance from head to tailbone is on a small child compared to a full-grown adult.

jesis
November 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
It's hard to say. I have fast-growing years and slow-growing years. This has been one of the slow ones. If I were you, I'd get a shirt with horizontal stripes and get one length picture each equinox and solstice (every 3 months). If you go a year and see no growth at all, I'd say you're at the longest possible length for you. (hint - when I am doing length pictures, I wait until the day before I'm going to wash it because it's the straightest that it ever gets naturally after a couple of days of being combed and bunned)

I don't think the length of your hair as a child predicts the length of your hair as an adult. For one thing, think how much shorter the distance from head to tailbone is on a small child compared to a full-grown adult.

Yeah I took that into an account. I was much smaller then for sure. I was just wondering if the fact that I could grow longer hair as a child necessarily meant I could as an adult or not. Probably not, though.

I will have to look for or make a striped shirt for this purpose. :) And look up the equinox and solstice. Thanks!

spidermom
November 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
The first day of each new season is either an equinox or a solstice, which I suggested just to have a date. Plus you can see which season has the fastest hair growth.

I was thinking that if you were able to grow - for example - 25 inches of hair as a child, that might have been hip length. You could probably still grow 25 inches, but it will be somewhere around BSL now.

jesis
November 12th, 2011, 07:59 PM
That is a really great idea! I have always wondered which season my hair grew the most in. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

I guess I'm also wondering why my hair isn't growing. Or is it growing and breaking off? I don't notice any broken hairs anywhere, just a shed or two every now and then.

KwaveT
November 12th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Most people have the genetics to grow their hair to the waist or close to it. After that genes play a role on how long you can get your hair. I also seriously doubt your hair is terminal.

catamonica
November 12th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Original mane & tail horse shampoo from wall mart gave me 14 inches. Its One inch past my waist. It is full of protein. Try it & see. It just might work. And when it grows bun it most of the time. It protects the hair & adds growth. I read that online. Please post if it works. I would like to know if it helped.

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I don't think you have reached terminal as your ends look thick. Maybe you are just a slow grower? or maybe the hairdresser cut more than you think? I grow a lot quicker in colder months, I get double the rate in winter than I get in summer, even when I am in sunnier climates my hair growth doesn't grow quicker.

Best thing is put it up, continue treating it well and forget about it! Most people can growth anywhere between hip and classic, so you have plenty of growing years left in my opinion!