PDA

View Full Version : Fenugreek and its uses in hair

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 06:07 PM
It seems there is no other thread about this. Inspired from another thread, I ask you how you use it in your hair? I just found out that during the thirteenth century, the arabs used it as a sort of hair gel. It seems to have 20-30 % water soluble mucilage in the seeds.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 10:19 PM
It seems there is no other thread about this. Inspired from another thread, I ask you how you use it in your hair? I just found out that during the thirteenth century, the arabs used it as a sort of hair gel. It seems to have 20-30 % water soluble mucilage in the seeds.

It is in this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=21003 under Methi

ETA: and in this one under Fenugreek, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10900

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I add it to my henna/cassia mixture to make it easier to apply.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Grinded as a powder I presume?

GRU
November 13th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Grinded as a powder I presume?

Yep.......

ratgirldjh
February 15th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I sometimes use it as a hair wash all by itself. It cleans really well and feels even more slippery than conditioner.

The only thing is that after using it a few times I get build up and have to clarify. But while it is working it works great and gives my hair lots of body and shine.

It will even remove an pretty heavy hair oiling for me if I leave it on long enough.

Mostly I just lightly oil my scalp and hair the night before I use it and just use it like co-washing.

I take 1 tablespoon and keep pouring hot water on it until it stops swelling up and use the resulting gel/goo.

It leaves a smell - be warned... ;) some like it some don't. My pet ratties always try and eat my hair when I have used it this is one of the reason I don't use it all the time!!! :D It smells kind of like maple syrup mixed with meat if that makes sense lol.

GlassWidow
February 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I drank so much fenugreek tea when I was breastfeeding that I'm not sure I could stomach putting it on my head. Yes, it does smell quite a bit like maple syrup...it sure doens't taste like it though!

ratgirldjh
February 15th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I drank so much fenugreek tea when I was breastfeeding that I'm not sure I could stomach putting it on my head. Yes, it does smell quite a bit like maple syrup...it sure doens't taste like it though!

Nooo it tastes pretty intense to me! Funny since it stimulates appetite too - I have used it in my sick ratties food to make them eat! Sure works well!!! lol I actually like the smell myself but it can sometimes get annoying when it doesn't go away. I eat a lot of fenugreek anyway so it doesn't bother me that much - it is just other people :o They tell me I smell like curry :cool:

GRU
February 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
I just took it in capsule form when I was breastfeeding. Gotta love pee that smells like syrup! LOL

SleeplessBeauty
February 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I would like to try fenugreek in my cassia mix. I could easily get fenugreek seeds, but I donīt have anything to grind them with. Only fenugreek powder I can find around here is sold as a supplement for dogs :eek:? Would this do the same thing?

Maktub
February 16th, 2012, 05:47 AM
I sprout fenugreek seeds to eat ! :)

shelomit
April 7th, 2021, 01:22 PM
I don't know if there is any more current fenugreek thread than this, but out of curiosity I set aside some fenugreek seed the last time I baked helbeh cake with it. I steeped some tea off of it and put it in my little spritzer bottle that I use to wet down my hair if I am detangling mid-week, as I sometimes do with catnip tea.

I think it might give my hair a little more surface sheen, and it's certainly a little slimier/slippier than straight water. Personally, the main thing I am getting out of it is the smell! I know a lot of people are annoyed by fenugreek smell, but to me it is a very "homey" scent. I don't generally like scented things in my hair, so enjoying the smell this much was a nice surprise : )

lakhesis
April 13th, 2021, 06:31 AM
I made a mask from seeds some time ago and I didn't mind the scent when I was preparing it, but then it got too overpowering when I could smell it all the time, even after washing it off. But the mask was great, my hair was very smooth and shiny afterwards :)