PDA

View Full Version : Born with highlights?

Earelia
November 12th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Since I'm not dying anymore I have a good 3 inches(roughly) of virgin hair atop my head. I'm very excited about this and it's a big step for me... especially since I can now see my natural highlights which I've disliked for almost all of my life and kept colored. They're kind of oddly placed on my head, and really stand out. I have cool dark brown colored hair naturally and all of my highlights are on the left side of my head and a kind of dirty ashy blond. They also tend to get VERY light in the sun.

Anyone else have natural highlights? I never really met many people with extreme highlights that occur naturally. Post pictures if you have any! :grnbiggri

sbhonda
November 12th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Oh yes, I was definitely born with natural highlights. My family used to refer to my hair as "striped," since the highlights were pretty bold. My hair isn't dark overall, but the highlights can get very light and still stand out. They definitely got more pronounced with sun exposure, and I spent a lot of time outside.

I've been dying my hair with a demi-permanent dye for years, but I'm letting my hair grow out natural now. I am really, really hoping that I will still have natural highlights when my hair grows out. It's been so long that I'm not sure how my hair has changed. That's also why all these pictures are so old.

Ignore my half closed eyes, I thought this picture showed the highlights best. That bit in the back that looks like a giant blond streak, is actually a giant blond streak, not something weird with the photo.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair2.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair3.jpg

This last picture was obviously in the winter, with the Christmas tree and all, and my highlights weren't as bright in the winter because of less sun exposure, but you can still see them in some places.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair1.jpg

That's the kind of hair I want to have back. Oh, the silly things I've done to my hair lately.

Freckled.Thing
November 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
When I was little I used to have very bright golden looking highlights. They've all pretty much darkened to brown now though. I didn't like them at the time but I kind of miss them now. I blame all the beautiful pictures in the blondet thread for that!

longhairedlady
November 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I cant post the pics but my neice has natural highlights. She has dark golden blonde hair with very light blonde highlights that frame her face. Its very pretty!

Ceridwen Iris
November 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I don't know if you would call it highlights but my son has a very light streak horizontally across the back of his head. When he was a baby, he was born with a lot of light blond hair but then it seemed as if his head grew too fast and he developed a horizontal bald strip from ear to ear. The hair that grows there has always been significantly lighter, although it is less noticeable now.

Avital88
November 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
my daughter(she is in my album) has natural highlights.. With sunexposure they even turn a light whitish blonde.. i was surprised,her base color is a darker brown though

luthein
November 12th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I was platinum blonde from sun exposure. My hair was also ultra-fine. It changed texture when I hit puberty.

Aimskylove
November 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Me Me Me! Lol naturally I have med ashy brown hair with golden hi light. The sun made my hi lights much lighter but in the winter my hair went dark.

JuneBride
November 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yesm I have always had natural blond highlights (brought out even more in the summer by the sun) AND red undertones...ODD COMBO...but I like it and God does too ;)

teal
November 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yep, at my temples. They're not immediately obvious but they do add noticeable variation to my hair. I like them.

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 03:43 PM
At my temples. Blonde highlights.

Unnamed
November 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Yep; have highlights/light streaks at my temples (left has more than right), a large possibly even lighter patch at the nape, and then strewn throughout there are a bunch of lighter stripes/highlights of a sort.

Harriet
November 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
I have a lot of blonde strands in my light auburn hair, I don't think its enough to be classed as strawberry blonde though. I have a massive chunk of blonde underneath my hair (by the neckline) which shows rather splendidly in braids:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/sarahedavies/Snapbucket/64ACF5D4.jpg

Shesta
November 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I have so many of them I'm actually wondering what is the true color of my hair. :D At bright sunlight these highlights appears as golden to reddish strikes in my canopy. I used to hate them but now I deeply love the richness they give to my hair.

ktani
November 13th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I do not have a picture of it but I worked with a woman who had streaked natually blonde hair. That is not terribly unusual except in this case it looked like very expensive professionally done highlights. Her hair was in superb condition. It had the look of lowlights and highlights and was gorgeous.

She had been platinum blonde as a child and was about 25 when I knew her. She said that she was asked all the time where she got her hair coloured because many people thought it was done.

I worked with her long enough to observe that there were never any roots and she was telling the truth. The colour was all hers.

roundforest
November 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
My twin 10 year old daughters were blonde when younger and still have natural blonde streaks in their now brown hair. I think they look lovely when their hair is put up, but they prefer to leave it down nearly all the time (they're both at about tailbone length.) The highlights are all round the hairline so they don't show much when the hair is down.

Angela_Rose
November 13th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I have dark brown hair and I've had a lot of brilliant red strands my whole life. My mother and her mother are both redheads, and I'm the only granddaughter on Mom's side who *isn't* a redhead. We have three auburns and one proper "carrot-top," and then there's me... the brunette with bright red streaks built in.

I do have a few odd blonde strands, but those originate in a scar.

See? I'm all the way over on the right of the photo. My two cousins all the way over on the left color their hair; my sister's in the middle and she's an auburn; my cousin Tara (next to me) is the proper redhead.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4373&pictureid=66962

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 07:56 AM
My hair is blondette colored. I intend to have blonde streaks in my hair. In the summer it used to turn all blonde.

jacqueline101
November 13th, 2011, 08:13 AM
My hair is blondette colored. I intend to have blonde streaks in my hair. In the summer it used to turn all blonde.

Delila
November 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM
When I was younger I had a streak of lighter hair where my cowlick grew. I thought it was pretty, but in retrospect I can see it was far more fragile than the rest of my hair, and needed more moisture than it got. Sun exposure probably kept it lighter than the rest. Since those days I've spent less time in the sun, so the streak stopped being so obvious.

Now that I'm older, many of those strands are now gray. (Most of my grays are there and on my canopy. Makes a neat effect in my braid.

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 08:39 AM
This is my virgin colour which i always got asked what colour highlights i had in! all natural!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l283/joanna_eglin/CIMG0008.jpg

krazykirsty07
November 13th, 2011, 08:53 AM
My daughter has natural blonde highlights all over, when she was 3 years old my midwife (pregnant with son) rudely accused me of highlighting her hair and obviously didn't believe me when i said the sun makes them stand out more =/

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
^^ yes I used to get this too! annoying!

French Braider
November 13th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I have had natural highlights in my hair since I can remember. My hair is naturally a dark blonde with lighter streaks, and like one of you have said you can really see them in a braid. Mine also get lighter with sun exposure, and I enjoy them.

fiddlefananb
November 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I have two natural bright red highlights on both temples. My mom used to accuse me of putting something on them to make them red because they are just too red and perfectly placed to be real. But they are.

Earelia
November 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Oh yes, I was definitely born with natural highlights. My family used to refer to my hair as "striped," since the highlights were pretty bold. My hair isn't dark overall, but the highlights can get very light and still stand out. They definitely got more pronounced with sun exposure, and I spent a lot of time outside.

I've been dying my hair with a demi-permanent dye for years, but I'm letting my hair grow out natural now. I am really, really hoping that I will still have natural highlights when my hair grows out. It's been so long that I'm not sure how my hair has changed. That's also why all these pictures are so old.

Ignore my half closed eyes, I thought this picture showed the highlights best. That bit in the back that looks like a giant blond streak, is actually a giant blond streak, not something weird with the photo.
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair2.jpg

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair3.jpg

This last picture was obviously in the winter, with the Christmas tree and all, and my highlights weren't as bright in the winter because of less sun exposure, but you can still see them in some places.

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x399/shelleyshair/hair1.jpg

That's the kind of hair I want to have back. Oh, the silly things I've done to my hair lately.

Oh man, I wish my parents let my hair get that long when I was little.

Earelia
November 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
my daughter(she is in my album) has natural highlights.. With sunexposure they even turn a light whitish blonde.. i was surprised,her base color is a darker brown though

It's so crazy how they stand out in the sun. Mine turned almost white when I was little too.

Earelia
November 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I also forgot... I used to have a friend who had brown hair and a pure white streak on the back of her head. I thought it was pretty neat.

Vanilla
November 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I also have natural light blonde streaks in my dark blonde hair. They definitely get more prominent in the sun.

teela1978
November 19th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Do grey streaks count? :)

rchorr
November 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah. However, now that my hair is turning silver, the highlights are expanding! LOL!

RCHORR'

Yulan
November 19th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I also forgot... I used to have a friend who had brown hair and a pure white streak on the back of her head. I thought it was pretty neat.

Same with my husband. He has dark blond hair and one white blond strand in the neck. When he braids his hair, sometimes this strand is visible. Looks quite funny. :)

Kristin
November 19th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I have a red streak at my nape. I've been wearing high buns lately and people keep asking if I highlighted the underside. It's very weird since the rest of my hair is so dark. That section won't take chemical color or henna, either.

teela1978
November 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Actually, thinking about it I always had highlights that would lighten up in the summer. Still do to some extent though now that my hair is darker they go more reddish than blonde. Isn't that why people get highlights? Because flat 1-color hair isn't very natural on most colors?

mom2fourgirls
November 19th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I have a lot of blonde strands in my light auburn hair, I don't think its enough to be classed as strawberry blonde though. I have a massive chunk of blonde underneath my hair (by the neckline) which shows rather splendidly in braids:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/sarahedavies/Snapbucket/64ACF5D4.jpg

love the braid :)