PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Hair Treatment?

blondie9912
November 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Hi all :love:

I bought this product several months ago, before I joined LHC. I was upset after a haircut, and was desperate for ways to make it grow faster (biotin, Mane n Tail, castor oil..) none of which have yet been effective, obviously :)

I heard that castor oil was supposed to make your hair grow faster due to the anti-fungal agents in it, and I had read rave reviews and watched promising videos about Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil Hair Treatment with Mink Oil. It comes in a green tub and has the consistency of petroleum jelly.

I'm aware that this product is formulated to be used on black, curly hair, but other Caucasion girls were using it in their YouTube reviews. I've used this product several times, applied in large gloops to my scalp. Needless to say I used WAY too much and had to shampoo a million times to remove it.

This also isn't pure castor oil, it has mink oil, petrolatum, jojoba oil, etc. I know that petrolatum couldn't be good for the scalp...

Has anyone used this with positive results? Or am I better off passing it on to my friend, who is half Jamaican :D

blondie9912
November 12th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Anyone :confused:?

moon2dove
November 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I did use caster oil for speedy growth, but it was too much bother and no results :(

I thought petroleum jelly was a barrier oil/jelly? or to help spread something smoothly?
The other ingredients sound ok to me :) Except the caster oil. I would question that if it's not pure. :)

MungoMania
November 12th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Despite the hype, I had no positive results from castor oil for my scalp hair either. Works better on eyebrow hairs, but did nothing for my scalp hair which was where I really needed to see some thickness.

shikara
November 12th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Altho I'm not familiar with this particular product, I use African Gold super Rich Formula Coconut Oil Hair Conditioner and I wouldn't want to be withiout it, and it has petrolatum. If I put it on shortly after my hair dries it seems to soak in and I don't have a problem with tangles, and I love how it feels. Now the present trend has given petrolatum a bad rap, but once I researched much further into some scientific articles, I now believe that it doesn't clog pores and give an impermeable barrier - it just takes a little longer for it to allow moisture on your scalp to evaporate, which for many is a very good thing. Although petrolatum begins with the same fossil fuels that make gasoline, it is HIGHLY purified and processed, and has many good qualities for achieving and maintaining healthy skin. Many with African hair have written a out how they grew up with their parents applying petrolatum daily, and now we have petrolatum with added oils!! I'm sure tho that it certainly doesn't work for everyone's hair/scalp.