PDA

View Full Version : Dry scalp - shampoo and salt massage?

shikara
November 12th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Now that winter is around the corner, I've been reading up again on dry scalp prevention. Apparently if you use a chemical shampoo, if you massage some table salt onto your scalp before you rinse out the shampoo, this will reverse the drying effects that the shampoo may have on your scalp. Have you heard of or done this? Hmmm, interesting......

moon2dove
November 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Never heard of that! Don't think I would want to try it either, even if I had dry scalp problems :)

blondie9912
November 12th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I haven't heard that, and I'm pretty sure salt itself is drying, so I'm not sure how well that would work :shrug:

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM
I haven't heard that, and I'm pretty sure salt itself is drying, so I'm not sure how well that would work :shrug:

Exactly what I think.

DTsgirl
November 12th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Could it be that the salt is exfoliating the scalp, and thereby getting rid of dead skin and encouraging healthy cell turnover, which could decrease patchy dyness due to dead skin cell build up? If it works for your face, why wouldn't it work on your scalp? And I bet it would feel GREAT!

Cassie 123
November 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
shudder: Grains of salt have sharp corners! You'll exfoliate the cuticle right off your hair!

shikara
November 12th, 2011, 02:34 PM
There are an awful lot of articles about the benefits of doing this. I understand how it could remove dry flaky skin bur I'm baffled at how it could protect your scalp from any harsh chemicals that might be in your shampoo...

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
There are an awful lot of articles about the benefits of doing this. I understand how it could remove dry flaky skin bur I'm baffled at how it could protect your scalp from any harsh chemicals that might be in your shampoo...

It cannot do that.

I looked at some of the articles. Salt as an abrasive can remove dead skin. Not exactly something you want to do to hair cuticles in terms of scratching them.

Salt added to conditioner can make it more moisturizing. There is a salt and clay thread here on a treatment.

However, ever had salt on a scratch?

The expression "Rubbing salt into a wound" is true. It hurts like anything.

Salt fully dissolved may affect some chemicals but I fail to see how a shampoo and water will work on top of that. ETA the
shampoo will work I just cannot at this point figure out what the point is that is being written about in some of these articles.

It depends on what someone reacts to in a shampoo.

Mild salt solutions can be soothing (like on gums) and mildly antiseptic.

I do not get where this originally came from or what is really being recommended.

sweet*things
November 12th, 2011, 03:37 PM
If you really want to use an abrasive on your scalp (which I'm not sure I'd recommend), I'd try sugar instead.

What do they mean by "chemical" shampoo? Pretty much everything has chemical properties, so what reaction exactly are they trying to guard against?

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 04:09 PM
If you really want to use an abrasive on your scalp (which I'm not sure I'd recommend), I'd try sugar instead.

What do they mean by "chemical" shampoo? Pretty much everything has chemical properties, so what reaction exactly are they trying to guard against?

Sugar scrubs are abrasive too. I do not understand why someone would use them on the scalp and the roots at the same time, which is unavoidable.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Ah, the only thing that makes sense to me would be a fully dissolved mild salt solution used on an irritated scalp.

It may be that the idea is to have a buffer between the stronger chemicals (cleansers) in a shampoo and the scalp.

A better formulated shampoo choice would be optimal in this case. Salt is alkaline and it would affect a shampoo pH to some degree, depending on the dilution of the salt solution.

ETA: The salt and clay thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8437
It is about the amount of salt used that can make it drying as opposed to moisturizing. Sea salt and certain others contain minerals that can build-ip on hair.

Cassie 123
November 12th, 2011, 05:19 PM
My husband used Head and Shoulders for years to control his dandruff. Earlier this year he switched to Solay Shine (http://www.natural-salt-lamps.com/natural-shampoo.html), which is soap-based and formulated with salt (in solution, not as scrubby crystals). His scalp has been quite happy and healthy since the switch. However, I can't say much about how it suits his hair since he basically shaves it all off every other month.

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I started using shampoo and conditioner again, I swear my hair is dryer than when I was being slack and just using Dove bar soap. And my scalp is itchier, too. I might have to switch from the cheapie Suave to something else!

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
My husband used Head and Shoulders for years to control his dandruff. Earlier this year he switched to Solay Shine (http://www.natural-salt-lamps.com/natural-shampoo.html), which is soap-based and formulated with salt (in solution, not as scrubby crystals). His scalp has been quite happy and healthy since the switch. However, I can't say much about how it suits his hair since he basically shaves it all off every other month.

That shampoo is acidic and the salt Himalayan or not is being used as a thickener, IMO. It may be that your husband did not have a yeast infection dandruff or the Head and Shoulders took care of it and the Solay is all he really needs or needed.

Cassie 123
November 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM
That shampoo is acidic and the salt Himalayan or not is being used as a thickener, IMO. It may be that your husband did not have a yeast infection dandruff or the Head and Shoulders took care of it and the Solay is all he really needs or needed.

Nope, the pH tests between 8 and 9, but the rest of what you say may well be true.

ETA: I see now - he uses the variety that does not contain vinegar.

ktani
November 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Nope, the pH tests between 8 and 9, but the rest of what you say may well be true.

ETA: I see now - he uses the variety that does not contain vinegar.

It did not help matters that I read the ingredients for the clarifying version, lol.