PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Perfect heatless productless hair curling tutorial via YT

GoldberryHair
November 12th, 2011, 09:56 AM
This looks AMAZING, so trying this tonight lol and I don't think that it's very damaging either.

Not to mention she has gorgeous hair :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE

Orangerthanred
November 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I suppose this only works on straight hair.

Kayla Nyx
November 12th, 2011, 10:39 AM
oh wow! so pretty!

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 10:52 AM

I think so too.

SwordWomanRiona
November 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I love the results! I'm going to try it as soon as I find myself a spraying bottle :).

sarahramen
November 12th, 2011, 11:25 AM
wow those are fantastic curls! Is it weird that they remind me of captain hook curls? hmmm thats probably why i love them so much.I have to try this someday. I wonder how you would get them closer to your scalp?

lesbia
November 12th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Oh wow! Thank you for share :)

Áine
November 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Those are really pretty curls. I'll pass it on to someone I know who would really like this tutorial, thank you!

Macaroni
November 12th, 2011, 11:56 AM
That's amazing, I love how they pull right out. I thought "Oh, no, she's put knots in her hair".

oddbeat
November 12th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Looks cool, but I must be doing something wrong because my hair won't stay in that nice cocoon shape. It just slips right out :(

Nevermind, just got it. Now I just have to wait and see what I end up with. My hair generally refuses to hold a curl, so this should be interesting.

jesis
November 12th, 2011, 12:01 PM
That's awesome! I bet you could make it work for curly hair. You might have to dry it straight somehow instead of letting it dry curly.

sarahramen
November 13th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I tried this last night and made more than 8 (i forgot to count) and when I took them out in the morning the bottom half of my hair looked exactly like irish dancer wigs (you know, the super boingy curls) and my waist length hair became shoulder length! the top 4-5 inches of my hair was still straight so i wasn't too fond of that. I ended up trying to comb them out into 50's type waves and beside the bushiness and end tangles this helped (still only apl though). So to fix this in the future I will make as few 'cocoons' as possible, and not leave them in for so long, maybe only 2 or three hours (so only get them a TINY bit wet). But yes this is my FAVORITE curling methods as it involve no hairbands/ bobby pins whatsoever.

Sundial
November 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Those are really pretty! Thanks for sharing GoldberryHair! :D they look quite similar to curls from curlformers, so it's great to know that you can achieve the same look without any products :thumbsup: I'm just terrified that I'll knot my hair up because I'm a klutz like that :o

lapushka
November 13th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Wonder what it will look like with only 4 to 8 of those in your hair (far bigger sections), and whether that'll stay.

jacquaala
November 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
oooooo! they look perfect! def trying this tomorrow.

Kindredraeven
November 13th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Wow that looks easy,and awesome results. I think I am going to try this out.!!!

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Cocoonies!

She has beautiful hair! And thats a neat method! I wanna try it!

jaine
November 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I don't understand why it wouldn't work in curly hair?
I haven't tried it yet, though.

vampyriccadence
November 13th, 2011, 08:53 PM
That is really fantastic! I will be trying this soon, I have been dying for a non-heat method to curl my impossible to curl hair. I've tried rag curls (two different ways, didn't really like the turn out), pin curls (I think I just naturally suck at those) and braids (I felt like I had used one of those crimpers).

supercupcakexx
November 13th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Wow, this is so neat! I think I might try this tonight :D

RecklessCharlie
November 13th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Definitely trying this! Though I think I will attempt to start the 'cocoon' up higher on the head so as to achieve more all- over curl. I'll post result pics if it turns out!
Thanks for sharing OP!

Audhumla
November 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Imo this method could probably be improved by eliminating the end stage of yanking out the ends of your hair against the cuticle. Maybe if you put the end of the hair straight through the loop at the end of the cocoon but had something like a matchstick in place to be able to retrieve the end like so:
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1568/cocoong.png

julliams
November 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'd also like to try it out with much larger sections - like maybe 6 on my whole head and then separate them out as I think it looks a bit bouncy (hate when my hair bounces when I walk - like shirley temple bouncy). My concern would be ends that stick out at odd angles and spoil the look.

But it really is a neat idea that I commend her for coming up with because I don't think I could have contrived something like that.

Arrow
November 14th, 2011, 12:55 AM
How can I keep my hair in that cocoon shape? Mine is just undoing itself. :0(

Kome
November 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM
As someone who twists their hair to get rid of frizzies and straighten' my hair... I can see how this would work. I may have to give it a try. Thanks.

Signe
November 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM

I see absolutely no reason this would only work on straight hair :confused:

missdelarocha
November 14th, 2011, 04:53 AM
I'm so glad she came up with this (or found it, either way) :D.
I just wanted to add that she's done all of the curls going in the one direction but if you changed the direction of wrapping half way both sides would be curling away from the face, if you want it that way.

bluegirl
November 14th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Thanks for posting the link to this. What a really great way to get curls. When I was a kid, I used to sleep with those pink foam rollers, but this seems like such a more comfortable way of getting lovely curls.

MonaLisa
November 14th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I tried it last night, as soon as i saw it!
But it kept pulling individual hairs or small sections, it was painful and annoying and i was afraid they'd break, so I took it out right away...
Hmm it's probably just me being clumsy...and just not talented for doing things regarding hair/make up...

I'm not much sensitive to pulling so...

Anyone else had this problem?

vampyriccadence
November 14th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I tried it last night, as soon as i saw it!
But it kept pulling individual hairs or small sections, it was painful and annoying and i was afraid they'd break, so I took it out right away...
Hmm it's probably just me being clumsy...and just not talented for doing things regarding hair/make up...

I'm not much sensitive to pulling so...

Anyone else had this problem?

I quickly tried it with a few sections, and I didn't have a problem getting it to stay or it being painful. Now annoying is another thing, I was getting annoyed with that wrap around method. I also didn't like having to pull the hair to release it from the "cocoon", there must be a better method.

unknown
November 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM
My "cocoon" just keeps undoing itself! How do I make it hold it's shape?? :confused:

Arrow
November 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
My "cocoon" just keeps undoing itself! How do I make it hold it's shape?? :confused:

I think the trick might be twisting the strand of hair before you wrap it around to create the cocoon, and make sure you don't pull the end all the way through the loop.

Emerald88
November 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I tried this quickly last night and I had trouble with the sections unraveling. I felt like it was damaging my ends too, so next time I will fasten it with strips of fabric or something. I only left them in for 5 minutes. If I had left it in for 30 minutes I think it would have been great. I used 8 total sections. Here is my hair wrapped http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/100_2903.jpg
Here are the curls as soon as taken out http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/100_2904.jpghttp://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/100_2907.jpg
Right after finger combing http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/100_2906.jpg
And about 15 minutes later http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/100_2908.jpg
Overall, I was happy with my experiment, I just need to fasten the ends differently and leave them in long enough to curl.

PixxieStix
November 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
This is so incredibly cool! Alas, my hair is nowhere near long enough to make this work. *pouts*

BUT, I have a friend who does! :D *plots hair playing time*

GoldberryHair
November 14th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Those are really pretty! Thanks for sharing GoldberryHair! :D they look quite similar to curls from curlformers, so it's great to know that you can achieve the same look without any products :thumbsup: I'm just terrified that I'll knot my hair up because I'm a klutz like that :o

HA, if I can do it, you'll have no problem :) I'm sure it'll turn out great, espeically with your shine :)

GoldberryHair
November 14th, 2011, 07:54 PM
wow those are fantastic curls! Is it weird that they remind me of captain hook curls? hmmm thats probably why i love them so much.I have to try this someday. I wonder how you would get them closer to your scalp?

I just started wrapping them closer up my hair length to get the curls closer to the scalp :)

TheLorelei
November 14th, 2011, 09:41 PM
You can google "sock bun" to get a great way of no heat curling that stays all day. I live in a very humid climate and I do the bun every night and the curls last 12 hours. youtube has video how-tos.

artiste
November 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for posting this! I tried it last night and actually left the twists in overnight... that may have been a little bit of overkill. lol. It took a few tries to get the technique right, but once I did it didn't take very long to do my whole head.

It worked really well. The curls were super tight, and lasted all day. :) Definitely recommended for those of us whose hair is pretty much impossible to curl.

Juneii
November 14th, 2011, 11:14 PM
YESSSS! I will be trying this sometime soon!

MrsGuther
November 14th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I just put my hair up in the caccoons. I'm gonna leave it like this for about an hour then take it down and see how the curls are! I'm super excited for this to work well.

julliams
November 14th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I can't get this to work but my hair is dry so maybe that is the problem?

ETA: Ok I did it. It takes practice and you need not pull the end through, you kind of fold it through the loop. Then it works.

MrsGuther
November 14th, 2011, 11:49 PM
This is so incredibly cool! Alas, my hair is nowhere near long enough to make this work. *pouts*

BUT, I have a friend who does! :D *plots hair playing time*

Love this^^^ lol I can imagine the grin on your face as you're plotting hair playiing time. :D

kme81
November 15th, 2011, 12:28 AM
Trying this out tonight...hopefully all is well when I wake up! :D

julliams
November 15th, 2011, 12:35 AM
MrsGuther - how did you go? Have you taken them out yet?

Quixii
November 15th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Very cool! I'll have to keep this in mind. I wonder if it works for all hair, even as long as mine?

maria_asa
November 15th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Thanks for posting this, I have to try it. I haven't had much luck with other curling methods but this looks promising.

unknown
November 15th, 2011, 04:10 AM
I think the trick might be twisting the strand of hair before you wrap it around to create the cocoon, and make sure you don't pull the end all the way through the loop.

Thank you. This worked when I did it on wet hair

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I tried this last night and here is how my hair turned out:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/paige_gabriel/heatlesscurls-1.jpg

The curls turned out pretty good! I wasn't pleased that it ate up so much of my length though... about 6 inches!
This is cool that you can get curls like this without using heat styling tools!

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM
MrsGuther - how did you go? Have you taken them out yet?

It turned out pretty good! My husband insisted that I let him pull some of the caccoons out and watch the curls drop. LOL. He was so excited I found a way to get tight curls with no heat styling. I am pretty excited to do my hair lkike this for church tomorrow! :-)

Fairytale
November 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks for sharing a new way to tight curls without heat!;)

Mrsguther your hair looks amazing , I cant wait to try them too!:cheese:

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for sharing a new way to tight curls without heat!;)

Mrsguther your hair looks amazing , I cant wait to try them too!:cheese:

Thank you Fairytale! How kind of you to say so! :D

HairFaerie
November 15th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I can't wait until my hair is long enough to wrap into a "cocoony"!
Those curls are GORGEOUS!

Quixii
November 15th, 2011, 05:53 PM
The curls turned out pretty good! I wasn't pleased that it ate up so much of my length though... about 6 inches!
Welcome to how naturally having curls is like every day. :laugh:

Clelia
November 15th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this, this seems to be a very promising curling method. I love how you don't need anything to hold the cocoons... so theoretically I could do this anywhere, even when I am bored during a long car ride XD

MrsGuther
November 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome to how naturally having curls is like every day. :laugh:

I have naturally wavy hair, but I had no idea just how much length tight curls could take up! WOW!!!

vanity_acefake
November 15th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Wonderful.
Thank you for sharing.

tamchronic
November 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Thank you for sharing this, her hair is lovely and the curls turned out great in the video. I'm going to give this a try, though I have my doubts it'll work on my hair...well, no harm in having a go! I really hope I can get this to work, it seems so simple.

maria_asa
November 16th, 2011, 05:37 AM
So I tried this and it doesn't work for me. :( The cocoons wrapped up nicely and felt very secure but within 15min my super slippery hair had done it's magic and slipped right out again. *sigh*

Quixii
November 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I tried this with just one little section to see how it looked after my shower last night. And oh my goodness, it worked! perfect sproingy curl! It actually looked better than when I've done pin curls our rag curls. This is is so exciting! :D

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Very cool. Also I think I found a new way to play with my hair when I'm bored or distracted. After one study session I have a feeling my entire head is going to be covered in cocoon-knobs.

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 02:19 AM
I did it last night, after wash, not 100% dry yet! it worked! I will just use bigger sections next time..I made some pictures and will post them later, when I'm home!
I missed a tiny piece and it's hanging uncurled...it annoys me!
Also, women at work, with long hair, asked me how i did it and complimented how it looks a lot, to my surprise! So I was sent from office to office to show/teach this technique! And they said they want to try it instead of curling iron! I feel like a hero a bit :D hair savior!

Lize
November 17th, 2011, 02:43 AM
That is very clever! And her hair is gorgeous!

PriscillaCherel
November 17th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Wow! that look amazing :D I would try that!

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 11:09 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=119126

This is my results!
Sorry about the light, much morning sun...
There is few more pictures in my album!
As i said, next time - bigger sections...and perhaps some beer to hold them...it's evening now, and they have already stretched a lot!
And OMG they eat soo much length! I feel for curlies now!

Avital88
November 17th, 2011, 03:56 PM
OMG!!! why havent i seen this before!!! This is the best thing ive learned so afr in my whole life! i love this woman, someone should give her an award for this!!

Diamond.Eyes
November 17th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I did this to my on Monday night and had awesome curls on Tuesday and they stayed in my hair all day. :D I forgot to post that I was going to try this method because I got distracted by the video :oops:. It works amazingly though. :) Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of it either, it was a busy day. :doh:

Avital88
November 17th, 2011, 04:20 PM
i just did it, its night here so im going to sleep and hopefully have a good result tomorrow!!

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I did this two days ago -- it works really well. :)

I did about 5 sections, which made for nice big curls. I left them in for too short a time (only 15 minutes), though, so next time I'll do it until my hair is completely dry. :)

Starlight1986
November 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Hmm... I somehow can't get these cacoons to hold... They always flip back...
Hehe, guess I still have to use my foam curlers until I figure out this method for me. ;)

Yozhik
November 17th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I don't have a very good picture of my curls, but here's a picture I took of the cocoonies. :)

I disguised myself as Harry Potter to protect my identity. :D
http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz256/Yozhik87/HP.jpg

tamchronic
November 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hmmm. I tried this last night but it didn't really turn out for me. I took bigger sections, and had to leave less hair wrapped around to fold into the loop so the cocoon didn't just fall out. Unfortunately, due to said bigger end pieces, I had terrible 'fish hooks' this morning at the end of my curls.

I think I'll try it again with smaller sections to see if it works any better.

Avital88
November 18th, 2011, 06:06 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luuxjjpNSv1qhdhwjo1_500.jpg

So, here is my result, i regret not doing a few above my ears, because the curls just pop out all of a sudden down the length

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luuxh33l8I1qhdhwjo1_500.jpg

Some extra Drama for the weekend hehe.. i really like this type of curls,thanks for posting!! its a good alternative for days i think my hair is too long, im all the way back at mbl..Curls eat sooo much length!

Avital88
November 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
oooops they came out way too big, excusez moi

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Wow you look like a doll!! :) they go great with your eyes! Love it!!

I was stunned by how short my hair looked too! Quite a change :)

Avital88
November 18th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Wow you look like a doll!! :) they go great with your eyes! Love it!!

I was stunned by how short my hair looked too! Quite a change :)

haha, thanks honey..Yes it feels sooo strange having "short" hair but i like the change :)
I can tell my bf now that ive cut my hair, see how he is gonna react :D:demon:

MonaLisa
November 18th, 2011, 06:26 AM
thats evil! and fun! :D share the reaction!

Anywhere
November 24th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I have 4 of these in my hair right now. I could not for the life of me get one to stay cocooned, so I flipped it up and bobby pinned it to my head. Hopefully it learned its lesson :pins:

Kristin
November 24th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I set my crown in pin curls and the bottom in cocoons last night. Not a fan of the cocoons; my ends were bent at funny angles. I think I'll use this technique when I want more texture for updos, but otherwise stick to pin curls, sock curls, or sponge or magnetic rollers.

BlondieHepburn
November 25th, 2011, 06:26 AM
I tried the cocooning method for the first time last night. It would be an understatement to say that I ended up with less than perfect spirals...
A very interesting and creative method, but I wouldn't recommend trying it for the first time right before an important rendez-vous.
As with everything, I'm sure that practice could make perfect here.

Sweetie
November 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM
here's my attempt...to the ladies who have tried this...do you brush your curls afterwards? How long do they last?
http://i767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Sweetie079_2009/DSCN4429.jpg

Oksana
November 27th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Here is my attempt on my sisters hair. She has waist length 1c :

http://imagehosting.nu/images/sam1605.jpg

Yozhik
November 27th, 2011, 03:51 PM
So pretty Oksana!

I bet your sister really enjoyed the curls. And wow do they eat up length!

Leabhar
November 27th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Love the curls! I'll have to try it for both the curls and the length-eating, since I can't get very tight or long-lasting curl with the satin tie-rollers, and this is tool-free as well as heat-free. Thanks for sharing!

ccmso12
November 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Looks cool, but I must be doing something wrong because my hair won't stay in that nice cocoon shape. It just slips right out :(

Nevermind, just got it. Now I just have to wait and see what I end up with. My hair generally refuses to hold a curl, so this should be interesting.

my "knots" dont hold?????:confused:

Kristin
November 27th, 2011, 08:39 PM
How is everyone getting the ends to look nice? Mine were gross and kinked (not curled).

Seeshami
November 27th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I wish it lasted longer then five minutes in my hair.

Oksana
November 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
How is everyone getting the ends to look nice? Mine were gross and kinked (not curled).

On the YouTube video, when reaching the end she only pulls the end half way through so it is easy to release, I pulled the end right through. This allows more hair to be curled and stops the kink. To release the curl I gently pushed the left over hair back through. See if this helps :)

CrunchyMama
November 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Omigosh, I have to try this sometime!! Thanks for sharing!!

maborosi
November 29th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Here is my attempt on my sisters hair. She has waist length 1c :

http://imagehosting.nu/images/sam1605.jpg

Wow! That is so cool!

Your sister's hair is really shiny and pretty, too :)

~maborosi~

sarahramen
November 30th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I did six this time (2 on each side and in the back) on hair that had been washed about 3 hours prior (dry roots very damp length) left them on overnight while sleeping. I took them out and combed them with my fingers and several hours later with a wide toothed comb. this number leaves with magazine cover type curls/waves, and since they are not at tight as the larger number of cocoons the straight roots doesn't look bad:cheese:

uptosomeone
November 30th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I knew it probably wouldn't work in my fine, thin UBL length hair, but oh my--the results were hilarious!! It was perfectly straight on top with uber-tight clown wig curls on bottom. Definitely something I'm not trying again until I have longer hair!

vampyriccadence
November 30th, 2011, 07:40 PM
here's my attempt...to the ladies who have tried this...do you brush your curls afterwards? How long do they last?

My hair goes insane if I brush it with curls, with these I finger-combed and they turned out okay.

kaiakai
November 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7550&pictureid=119126

!
:thud:

That looks awesome!!!

unknown
December 1st, 2011, 12:52 PM
On the YouTube video, when reaching the end she only pulls the end half way through so it is easy to release, I pulled the end right through. This allows more hair to be curled and stops the kink. To release the curl I gently pushed the left over hair back through. See if this helps :)

How did you get it to hold w/o the hair falling? When I pull the end right through and push the cocoon down the hair falls down under the "knot" making it a huge mess...And it's hard to release the curl when I try!

piffyanne
December 6th, 2011, 11:08 PM
I learned how to do the Recamier Coiffure (see my profile picture, and this link http://frazzledfrau.tripod.com/titanic/recamier.htm for details) a couple weeks ago, and was dared by my college professor to dress in Edwardian clothing on the day our final is (it's not as strange or random as it sounds, considering how obsessed I am with reenacting and history, and how many art projects I've done that are history-related. In fact, one of the pieces due today was a self-portrait showing myself in the Recamier and dressed in my great-great-great-great-great grandmother's clothing, taken from a photograph of her).

Knowing which sections of my hair would be doing what, and knowing I'd need curls in one section and wouldn't have the time to do it the normal way, I put the parts I'd need curly into this "cocoon" style after getting out of the shower and hanging out with my hair in a towel until it was reasonably dry, leaving the part we use to wrap around the base of the entire curly mass to hang straight.

It was crazy how much easier it was to catch up the curls and arrange them, rather than having to do victory rolls with my classic-length hair (my arms aren't long enough! Hee hee hee). I'll definately do it this way again, and suggest the coiffure or a hairstyle inspired by it as a way to deal with crazy "clown" curls if your first attempt doesn't go as well as mine did. :D

BONUS HAIRDO:
By the way, since it all wasn't quite dry when I woke up, I turned the whole cocooning mass into a stylish hairstyle by wrapping the hair I left out of the curls around the mass of the straight parts of my hair (from which the cocoon hangs) and made it look like a low updo. It looked classy instead of weird, and it's a good way to protect the curls if you want to save them to have them fresh for a special occasion.

ccmso12
December 12th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Still cant figure out how to get my knotsto stay and not slide or jump open in a few momens

Rockferry
December 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I wish my hair was long enough to do this. It looks so pretty.

Sundial
December 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I attempted this on a lock of hair 2 days ago and it was hard to get the cocoon to hold because my hair seemed to want to spring apart. When I finally got it to hold after a few attempts, I realized that it was taking a little too long to dry - when I released the cocoon 5 hours later, it barely dried and the curl couldn't hold for very long because the weight of the damp hair was dragging it down.

Nonetheless, the curl was pretty and looked promising. I think I'll give this another go tomorrow and hopefully it turns out fine.

ithil
December 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
very creative. is she using a similar method as the one to make a hangman's knot?

MonaLisa
December 12th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Thank you Kaiakai :flower:

tigereye
December 12th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Teehee. I used to twirl my hair like this when I played with my hair at school (before my daily bunning days to keep out of the way). I wouldnt pull the end through though, but even so, it would barely be in my hair for a minute and I would have a random half-curl where I had been playing with it. Strangely enough I never thought about using it as a curling method.

BrightEyes7
December 12th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Trying this tonight... I recently had a run in with pillow curlers. Left my hair VERY curly!!! I went from TBL to APL... so I'll try this with caution and use bigger sections.

I'll check back tomorrow with the results.

KahRistAhn
December 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Wow, that's amazing. I have Curlformers and they works, but....this looks a lot more comfortable! I gotta remember this.

prettyhairisred
December 12th, 2011, 05:39 PM
pretty! I will be trying!

GoldberryHair
December 13th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I suppose as the starter of this thread I should have been the first to pose a results pic! lol I've been so busy with school and work but here it is finally! It look's a little ****y at the front because I'm trying to grow out some fringe and I didn't really section it...lazy hehe.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=8435&pictureid=121084

Erika_92
December 15th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I tried it and it was a lot harder then it looks :o

Oksana
December 15th, 2011, 04:06 AM
I suppose as the starter of this thread I should have been the first to pose a results pic! lol I've been so busy with school and work but here it is finally! It look's a little ****y at the front because I'm trying to grow out some fringe and I didn't really section it...lazy hehe.

Looks so pretty on you :)

piffyanne
December 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM

Annnnd your hair looks exactly like I imagined Goldberry's did when I read The Hobbit. GORGEOUS curls, gorgeous color, glorious effect!

ladylowtide
December 15th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Thank you for posting this here! I am so terrible with styling hair... finally something I can do!

GoldberryHair
December 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Annnnd your hair looks exactly like I imagined Goldberry's did when I read The Hobbit. GORGEOUS curls, gorgeous color, glorious effect!

Aw! Thank you, that's such a compliment :) I was so disappointed when they didn't have her in the movie :(

x-x-tori-x-x
December 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
i cant get it to work!! my hair just slips right out... anyone know why?

GoldberryHair
December 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
i cant get it to work!! my hair just slips right out... anyone know why?

Maybe your pulling thru too much? And make sure you push the coocoon down after you wrap the sectino around, and it should feel secure then.

KatyS
December 19th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Ohhhh my hair doesn't work! Haha, I have too many layers and my hair's too slippy. :(

Pallas
December 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I have *some* difficulty with figuring out how much exactly I should pull to keep 'em snug and such, but it's working great! It looks so beautiful. I only wish my hair were a lot thicker, that would be some impressive hair!

sycamoreboutiqu
March 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM

Very nice results, it really highlights your color too - such a lovely warm blonde.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Tried this last night and it worked ! I had to do about 10 sections because of thickness (if you make a section too thick it pops out) and it took some trial and error to determine the right amount of tail to leave. I noticed they fell right out if the tail was too short - ie: the folded loop at the very end has to poke out from both directions before you tighten down the coil, otherwise it plops right out.

I also noticed that if I forgot to keep twisting as I worked the coil that the end result was more of a zig-zag wave then a coil. It is hard to keep the twist when you do that first wrap around so you have to twist, wrap, twist , wrap all the way to the end for it to come out right.

I put a sleep cap over them and they stayed in all night and were amazingly not annoying, they just nested in the bottom of the cap (I am a side sleeper - if you sleep on your back though this could be an issue). I started with somewhat damp hair though and by morning they were not totally dry so I rewrapped them. Leaving them in until I leave today - so will take a quick pic and post later.

This is basically a slip-knot with a coiled rope above it, I think there is a nautical name for this kind of knot if you were doing it with rope.

kionkichin
March 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for sharing this!!! I totally have to try it!!

Rhodugune
March 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I gave it a try yesterday and then I couldn't find this thread...but here are som pics from me.

Here is my how my hair usually looks
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32850000-32859999/640x480/32852406.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32852406)

My and my haircocoons :D
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931524.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931524)

Here are they just taken out
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931526.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931526)

And here I've just run my fingers through.
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931527.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931527)

I'm more than pleased with the result, I had to sleep with them, 'cause they were not dry after 4 hours and the locks have stayed pretty well even for two days.

Kinkycurlygurl
March 26th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I'm so excited I'm going to try this out tonight on my kinky 4 hair. I should get awesome volume.

Kinkycurlygurl
March 26th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I gave it a try yesterday and then I couldn't find this thread...but here are som pics from me.

Here is my how my hair usually looks
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32850000-32859999/640x480/32852406.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32852406)

My and my haircocoons :D
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931524.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931524)

Here are they just taken out
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931526.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931526)

And here I've just run my fingers through.
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_43/32930000-32939999/640x480/32931527.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32931527)

I'm more than pleased with the result, I had to sleep with them, 'cause they were not dry after 4 hours and the locks have stayed pretty well even for two days.

Your hair looks FABULOUS :cheese:

lapushka
March 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Wow, Rhodugune, that looks *really* nice! :)

redtuss
March 26th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Oh dear, this is GORGEOUS!

Loving the pics u guys are submitting, so much wonderful hair :)

Ocelan
March 26th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I must try this! The curls are just the way I've always wanted my hair to be an I hate having to put some pins or curlers in my hair. I hope my hair isn't too slippy.

Such pretty pictures of people doing this aswell.

sycamoreboutiqu
March 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Well I got some pics taken this morning and the results are good, but I realized I should have done a few things differently.

One, should probably spray on some aloe or something to act as a setting gel to strengthen the curl - and two - do not finger comb after you take them out unless you want the curls to possibly fall out into the equivalent of braid waves. That is what mine did by evening.

But they started out pretty good.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=10061&pictureid=129623

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=129622&albumid=10061&dl=1332822486&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=129620&albumid=10061&dl=1332822486&thumb=1

wildmane
March 26th, 2012, 11:04 PM
:lala: I love this method. Now attempting on the directions very soon!

Kinkycurlygurl
March 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I tried it last night. This morning I had a head full of springy-sproingy curls. Loved it!

afu
March 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
wow, you all look lovely :) I've got a few in at the moment just as a test but i have so much trouble keeping them in, i don't know if it's because my hair is really shiney at the moment, or because it's naturally curly or what but they ping out so easily, even with small sections, long 'tails' and a good tug!

MissHair
March 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Seriously, this is too cool for school! I've never seen or heard of this method of curling before! I so need to try this TONIGHT!!!

wildmane
March 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
It worked!!
But 2 things that will help more is lesser layers or just longer hair. As the layers till the top of my neck were tough to roll into the cocoons. There were some curls that were frizzier and I'm not sure if that it was because I already have wavy hair or due to scraggly length/ends.
Also tried this without misting the length with water and the cocoon wont stay.

Note to self: Try again after growing layers some more in a month or so or later.

KahRistAhn
May 4th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I wanna try this...but I think my hair might still be too short. And gah, I want her hair soooooo bad.

CharleaMurphy
May 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
I'm going to try this overnight tonight. My hair is wet from washing so I'm just waiting for it to dry out a bit to a damp stage.

This should be a test of my length and layers. I'm pretty sure it won't work for the shorter layers. :(

ETA: I already can't do them, I have a few in my longest layers but for the top layers I've had to twist them into mini rosette buns and pin them to my head. Oh well, I guess I'm just trying two methods at once? *shrugs*

Hollyfire3
June 25th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I know this is a heatless curl thread but...I just tried to get some big curls (as opposed to my uneven, messy wurls) and figured I would try pin curls...well, I dampened my hair and couldn't get the roll for the curl to hold, so I said screw it, got out the curling iron (once my hair dried again) turned it on and used it to form the pin curls. First off, I had NO IDEA how freakin hard my hair is to curl with heat, it doesn't like to bend it just heats up and flattens, unless I hold it on for long (with product on of course). Now, this curling iron deal broke my no heat rule, but it was once is desperation so, I'll let it slide. Second, the pin curls failed, even with heat. I left them in for 20 mins to cool and set from the heat, then they came down all pretty and nice (despite me feeling like I'm ripping my hair out with bobby pins and bad sectioning), but now, my hair is pretty much barley wavy. I always feel like I'm damaging my hair with all the pulling and sectioning that are involved in no heat curls, so any suggestions on gentle no heat curls? I already suspect breakage on my right side from tangles and such....my hairdresser even confirmed this, ouch. Oh sorry, wrong thread, disregard while I post this to the RIGHT thread...

SerinaDaith
June 25th, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have done water curls with bobby pins and hand rolling each strand into the rough shape of a curl, this looks a lot faster but I would not be able to go out in this so I guess it would definitely be an overnight curl method.

Hollyfire3
June 25th, 2012, 09:43 PM
You could go out in this if you use a scarf to cover your head, maybe? I found out tonight that pin curls make for a very pretty (and head eating) arrangement of rolls of hair on the head, so cool, almost like an updo.

PetuniaBlossom
August 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
This looks AMAZING, so trying this tonight lol and I don't think that it's very damaging either.

Not to mention she has gorgeous hair :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAPHSAPshJE

GoldberryHair, I just found this thread and checked out the video. Ohmigosh, it works beautifully. I tried it this afternoon: sprayed with water (and a bit of lavender EO,) did the 'coccooning' technique and left it in for a little over 90 minutes, and I have these wonderful waves now. I'm so happy you posted this.
BTW, she has now uploaded a new video, streamlining the coccooning process to eliminate twisting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNT4GT9KtU&feature=watch_response
Also it's a much shorter video so she gets right to the process. So thanks again for this great way to style without heat or product. I love it. :flower: