PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used Jojoba oil?

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 07:13 AM
I recently purchased some jojobo oil from a store (its the organic root stimulator brand) ... first impressions it smells really nice, :cheese:and it melts in my hand...:cheese:
i have used it three times now but i noticed more hair falling out (nothing drastic, just more than usaul but less than the usual 100 strand of hair loss a day count) ...so i reverted back to my coconut oil and there is definately a THIRD less hair fall.

I was wondering what was your experiences with jojoba? :)

evb
November 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I am confused about the melts in your hand bit... my jojoba, and all I have ever seen from working in or shopping at health food stores/coops, have been liquid. Jojoba is, or was known in the 80s at least when I first became interested in soap making and alternative self care thingies, as the most similar oil to what your body produces so gets absorbed the easiest.... is that what you mean? Your hands are absorbing it? Cus melt as in solid to liquid ala coconut when it is cold vs heated sounds wrong. If it is solid I am wondering if there is a new kind of jojoba I haven't come across. I might need it :p

TrudieCat
November 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I use a few drops daily on my canopy to protect and smooth it - but jojoba is a liquid wax, so it should already be melted before it hits your hand. You might have some sort of jojoba blend if yours is not liquid.

Also, if you are using this as a scalp massage oil then you might be losing hair as a result of mechanical stress on your roots. This happens to me, and it's why I don't do scalp massages or rub my scalp much when washing my hair anymore. Also why I don't CO anymore, as I find it requires too much root manipulation that leads to increased shedding.

ETA: I'd also look into threads on jojoba and oils on the natural/recipes section of the boards here. There is a lot of info on the properties of jojoba. It tends to absorb well into skin (including scalp) for many people, but I will not absorb into hair because of the size of the molecule chains that make it up.

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 07:52 AM
I am confused about the melts in your hand bit... my jojoba, and all I have ever seen from working in or shopping at health food stores/coops, have been liquid. Jojoba is, or was known in the 80s at least when I first became interested in soap making and alternative self care thingies, as the most similar oil to what your body produces so gets absorbed the easiest.... is that what you mean? Your hands are absorbing it? Cus melt as in solid to liquid ala coconut when it is cold vs heated sounds wrong. If it is solid I am wondering if there is a new kind of jojoba I haven't come across. I might need it :p

What I meant was that the jojoba oil i brought at the store was thick consistency like wax (maybe because im in england and its cold here so it may stick together as a solid) but as soon as you take some out , it melts into liquid :)

Bene
November 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I tried jojoba oil when I first joined, since it was getting these rave reviews. I think I remember reading somewhere that it was the one oil that's closest to human sebum in consistency.

Anyway, I found it to be one of the heavier oils that I checked out (and I tried a bunch). It left my hair greasy. I ended up using it on my skin during the winter months.

ange1ito
November 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I'm in UK, i got mine from Holland & Barrett it's liquid form. I like it alot less smelly than castor oil which I was applying before. I alternate my oils so I couldn't advise whether it's the jojoba that's causing you to shed. Maybe it was the change to your oil that caused it.

UltraBella
November 12th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Are you putting it directly on your scalp ? Anything you put on the lengths of your hair can not make you shed more or less, but putting it on your scalp can. I use it sometimes on my hair, more often on my skin.
I live in Montana where it is freezing and I have never seen jojoba oil that wasn't completely liquid.

ETA :
The fact that it wasn't liquid was a huge red flag for me, so I looked it up. Your ingredients are :

Petrolatum, Soybean Oil (Glycine Soja), Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Castor Oil (Ricinus Communis), C18-36 Acid, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Fragrance (Parfum).

Ewwwwwww. My hair might fall out as well. This is not jojoba oil ! This is a petroleum based product, jojoba oil is half way down the ingredients list.

Jean Stuart
November 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I mix a a little in my coconut oil and use it on my length. I shed a little more than normal when I oil my scalp too but it is worth it for the benefits my scalp gets.

StormVixen
November 12th, 2011, 08:39 AM
don't you just hate it when they put petroleum things in products... I find them FAR worse than .cones...

starlights
November 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
ooo no wonder my hair fell out... might as well use it as a skin moisturiser then :)

Melisande
November 12th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I wouldn't put it on my face, either. For the feet and legs, yes, if nothing better is to be had.

Your "jojoba oil" was a rip off. Buy proper pure jojoba oil if you want to know the real deal! It's great for the skin.

If you use the search function, you can see that jojoba oil is one of the favorite oils on the boards. Experiences and reactions differ of course, as always with hair.

I love jojoba oil as base for my scalp massage oil - I add essential oils (lavender, sage, rosemary, bay, cedar...) and love what it does to my scalp and hair growth. There is a whole thread devoted to it, I found the recipe many years ago on the boards and quite a lot of people use it.

For my lengths, though, jojoba oil is less than ideal. It makes my hair stringy and oily looking. I prefer a tiny dab of coconut oil for my lengths.

I do use jojoba oil as one ingredient among others, in oil mixtures etc.

Lapin
November 12th, 2011, 02:45 PM
FWIW, I found an *awesome* jojoba blend at Lush. It's mainly jojoba oil, but it has some other goodies thrown in. No petroleum or other gross stuff (that I recognize at least, Lush tends to be pretty good).

It's kinda thick, but not waxy. It is heavy, but when I put it on my length it gets sucked right up! I only use it if I'm keeping my hair up though, since it does look oily. I also throw some on my face from time to time :)

Elia
November 12th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I don't like it for hair, it doesn't penetrate or smell as nice as coconut oil. I LOVE it for my skin though! Seriously, just add a few drops to your moisturizer. Many people who have acne prone skin actually swear by it. It's also the best makeup remover ever, if you wear it :)

starlights
November 13th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I don't like it for hair, it doesn't penetrate or smell as nice as coconut oil. I LOVE it for my skin though! Seriously, just add a few drops to your moisturizer. Many people who have acne prone skin actually swear by it. It's also the best makeup remover ever, if you wear it :)

Thank you for the tip, i shall definately use this tub as a makeup remover then :)

julliams
November 13th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I think Elia was referring to pure jojoba oil as being good for removing make up. The product you currently have may not be good for that. It may make a good body moisturiser for legs etc.

I use pure jojoba oil too. It's not my favourite of the oils but it is a nice change from using coconut or EVOO and I used to use it on my face too.

The trick with any hair/skin product is to always look at the ingredient list because often products claim to be something that they are not, like those argan oil bottles you get from salons that are mostly silicones.

Pierre
November 13th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I got a liter from Hobacare. It comes with a 125 ml bottle, which is close to empty; the other 875 is in the fridge, frozen. It has no smell that I notice. I add some EOs, put it in a spray bottle, and use it almost every day.

Jojoba is also a good industrial lubricant; normally, refined jojoba (clear) is used for this. I use it occasionally on the house locks.

owlathena
November 13th, 2011, 04:36 AM
I use it lightly on my length sometimes. My hair likes it! And as an all over body moisturizer.

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Are you putting it directly on your scalp ? Anything you put on the lengths of your hair can not make you shed more or less, but putting it on your scalp can. I use it sometimes on my hair, more often on my skin.
I live in Montana where it is freezing and I have never seen jojoba oil that wasn't completely liquid.

ETA :
The fact that it wasn't liquid was a huge red flag for me, so I looked it up. Your ingredients are :

Petrolatum, Soybean Oil (Glycine Soja), Lanolin, Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Cetearyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Palmitate, Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Castor Oil (Ricinus Communis), C18-36 Acid, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Cyclomethicone, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), (Parfum).

Ewwwwwww. My hair might fall out as well. This is not jojoba oil ! This is a petroleum based product, jojoba oil is half way down the ingredients list.

no me neither and I live in the UK, I think Starlights is probably confusing jojoba with another oil, though she has been working away for 4 months in florida so maybe she picked something up that had jojoba in it? though id have thought even coconut oil which is solid here would have been runny over there:confused:

Back to the op's question, yes I like jojoba oil but I prefer it mixed with coconut or almond oil. I havent used it in a while.:)

TrudieCat
November 13th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Moral of the story: Read the ingredients list, not the "description" on the front of the bottle (I put the word "description" in quotes because the description on this product was clearly very misleading - you don't have jojoba oil here).

jojo
November 13th, 2011, 10:47 AM
^^ it seems so, Petrolatum as a first ingredient would have put me off..we live and learn eh!

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Definitely don't use it on your hair or face. I think it's bets to use on your feet or elbows.... to use it up.

starlights
November 13th, 2011, 12:31 PM
lol... i think i have to phone trading standards UK...haha

that tub clearly says JOJOBA on it although i admit i never got the chance to read the ingrediants list as i was in a rush so i purchased it.
So i went home and tried it out . I guess its not as "pure" as the packaging makes out.

i just wondered what other peoples experiences were .... right now im happy with my bottle of coconut oil :)

caiti42
November 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Pure jojoba does nothing for my hair but I now use it in lieu of moisturizer on my face, and for the first time in my life I have clear, glowing skin :)

Mustardseed
November 13th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I have a quick question. How do you pronounce jojoba oil? When I ask for it at the store, I get my pronunciation corrected. It's a bit embarrassing.

krissykins
November 13th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Jojoba is prouounced "ho-ho-bah". I normally put emphasis on the second vowel, but I've heard it pronounced with the emphasis on the last vowel.

Jojoba oil was great for my hair, but I like it better mixed with other products. Right now I have some mixed with shea butter and coconut oil, which is a real treat for my skin. :)

McFearless
November 13th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I love jojoba oil on my scalp. It soaks in completely. I'm currently using it as a carrier oil for many essential oils to reduce shedding and speed up growth. I'm happy to say its going well :)