PDA

View Full Version : the best thing ive done for my hair this year is..........

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 08:56 PM
For me its been trimming. I have probably trimmed half my growth off but my ends feel so much thicker for it.

Whats the best thing you have done for your hair and why?

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Can I go plural?
microtrimming, henna/indigo/cassia, conditioner only, vinegar on my scalp, ummm and oiling.

Mairéad
November 11th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Pretty much stop thinking about it. It's a little hard since I can't put it up yet but ever since I stopped getting so ruffled about it, it has just been able to grow. Last time I invested too much energy into my hair I cut it all off.

Macaroni
November 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Discovering VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Tea Conditioner. It has allowed me to only co-wash which has been my holy grail, it retains my permanent color and makes my hair very soft and manageable.

Ishje
November 11th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I think trimming for me as well, even though it is not in great shape yet.
SMT's also made a great difference.

akilina
November 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I hate to admit it but i think the best thing ive done for my hair was cutting it from BSL to just barely touching my shoulders.
my weight line sucked and my hair was just breaking off. i just wanted a fresh start.
although...sometimes i wish that maybe instead i would have cut to APL, id already be half way back to bsl

Yozhik
November 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Gentler handling methods, hands down.

I used to rip through my hair and then wondered why I had so many split ends. :wacko:

Those combined with wearing a ton of updos made my hair so much better!

mommyof2boys
November 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Keeping a simple regimen. Sometimes doing too much to my hair is a wasted opportunity in learning what my hair likes and she likes simplicity.

Delila
November 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
This year?? Not sure what I've done that's new or unique to this year. My experiments with finding less damaging ways to tie off my braids seem to be helping.

Lately, I've just skipped hair ties altogether, braiding my hair down to the end and just letting it go. I let my braid unravel overnight as it will but I've never yet had my hair come completely out of my braid, and the loosened bit never tangles the way it would if I left it free.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to thicken up my hemline a bit more, and this seems to be helping.

Chamy
November 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
For me its been trimming. I have probably trimmed half my growth off but my ends feel so much thicker for it.

Dito! I have cut almost all my growth, and it did wonders. It both looks and feels better than in a long time. :)

You hair looks great now Jojo!

Fairytale
November 11th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I just "forget about it" my best plan besides COCONUT OIL this year is benign neglict . Just let it grow ,let it grow ,let it grow.:cheese:

Diamond.Eyes
November 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I regretted it at first, but I think cutting it from hip length back to waist was the healthiest thing I've done for my hair this year. I had some pretty uneven ends. :p

battles
November 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Starting to use oil, and then shampoo bars. My hair is so much softer and not dry anymore. :)

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Ditching the shampoo altogether & switching exclusively to CO washing.

shikara
November 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Combs/finger combing, lemon juice rinses, cutting WAAYY back on conditioners!!

Modarunner
November 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
Being gentler on my hair by switching to seamless horn combs, gently detangling my hair from ends up, not combing my hair when wet and switching to cv shampoo bars, which I can happily say have made my hair and especially my scalp feel much better.

uptosomeone
November 12th, 2011, 12:02 AM
The best thing so far has been to start wearing it up more. Second best would be CWC. Third best is my sharp decrease in ponytails.

supercupcakexx
November 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Well I've just discovered CO washing, but so far it is doing great! So that and learning new, awesome ways to use my hairsticks are probably the best things I did this year.

... And joining LHC, of course! :D

Gilly
November 12th, 2011, 12:32 AM
I have found a hairdresser who knows how to cut my whurly hair!!!!:cheese:
Also she totally undestands the concept of a micro trim!:cheese:

owlathena
November 12th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Henna for sure!

SarahKayfa
November 12th, 2011, 01:19 AM
I've removed the dryness and damage from past coloring with religious S&Ding and careful oiling.

hototogisu
November 12th, 2011, 01:36 AM
Man, where do I begin? First, I had my Implanon removed. It was a wonderful form of birth control, and I'd been on it for 11 years, but I was losing a ton of hair in a very hormonal pattern. Since getting it out I've been breaking out more, my periods have been painful and shedding much, much less.

I'd also say going back to regular shampoo made a huge difference. I now really appreciate that plain old shampoo and conditioner works well for some hair types, such as mine. I still do LHC things, like oil my lengths and SMT, but my scalp likes to be clean and I'm all about keeping my scalp happy.

I also had a good, stern professional trim recently, and my hair feels much better for it. I have a deal with my hairdresser, where he tries new, crazy things with the style in exchange for the 'boring' cut. He takes his work very seriously!

Tota
November 12th, 2011, 01:41 AM
This year - found TLHC. Decided that I don't need hairdressers in my life anymore and started to learn how to cut my own hair. It's healthier, longer and ends don't split as fast as they used to.

Last year - started using conditioner and threw away all the agressive brushes and hair toys.

The year before - decided to grow out my natural hair colour. Cut my ugly damaged BSL hair into a short bob and started almost from zero.

Next year - will learn all the great TLHC tricks, do tea and ACV rinses, use aloe vera gel, maybe oil my hair, maybe continue to use Daktarin. And WILL NOT GO to the salon.

Maybe TMI, I'm sorry, but I'm so proud on my "hair journey" :rolleyes:

Mayflower
November 12th, 2011, 06:04 AM
BAQ henna and indigo (instead of poor quality ones), microtrimming and Redken Anti-Snap leave in conditioner.

einna
November 12th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Its a tie between trimming a lot to get rid of old damage and dye, and CO. Both have done wonders for my hair. :)

isabelx
November 12th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Loads of things.. Joining LHC was obviously the most effective thing I've done because all the other things I've done have came of a result of joining.

- Stop using heat on my hair, straighteners/curlers/blowfryer
- Stop dying as often, as I used to dye my hair every month, it's been 2 months since my last dye and I don't feel the need to do it again yet
- Generally treating it better, not brushing, using a silk pillow case etc.
- Get rid of cones. This is a huge thing I've done, I love how I can now make my hair feel great without cones, knowing I don't have anywhere near as much build up
- Use more gentle shampoos

bunzfan
November 12th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Most definitely Updo's,oils and less hair cuts i used to trim my hair every 8 weeks and it was taking forever to grow, now i like trim every 6 months or so.

jojo
November 12th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Dito! I have cut almost all my growth, and it did wonders. It both looks and feels better than in a long time. :)

You hair looks great now Jojo!
Thank you, it does make such a difference to hairs quality I think!

I regretted it at first, but I think cutting it from hip length back to waist was the healthiest thing I've done for my hair this year. I had some pretty uneven ends. :p Your hair will grow quicker, with those healthy ends

I have found a hairdresser who knows how to cut my whurly hair!!!!:cheese:
Also she totally undestands the concept of a micro trim!:cheese: this is a good one, so many posts about bad hairdressers, there are good ones around who do listen & its nice to be reminded of this sometimes.

This year - found TLHC. Decided that I don't need hairdressers in my life anymore and started to learn how to cut my own hair. It's healthier, longer and ends don't split as fast as they used to.

Last year - started using conditioner and threw away all the agressive brushes and hair toys.

The year before - decided to grow out my natural hair colour. Cut my ugly damaged BSL hair into a short bob and started almost from zero.

Next year - will learn all the great TLHC tricks, do tea and ACV rinses, use aloe vera gel, maybe oil my hair, maybe continue to use Daktarin. And WILL NOT GO to the salon.

Maybe TMI, I'm sorry, but I'm so proud on my "hair journey" :rolleyes: Good plan, youve done well! good luck with the rest of your journey!

Loads of things.. Joining LHC was obviously the most effective thing I've done because all the other things I've done have came of a result of joining.

- Stop using heat on my hair, straighteners/curlers/blowfryer
- Stop dying as often, as I used to dye my hair every month, it's been 2 months since my last dye and I don't feel the need to do it again yet
- Generally treating it better, not brushing, using a silk pillow case etc.
- Get rid of cones. This is a huge thing I've done, I love how I can now make my hair feel great without cones, knowing I don't have anywhere near as much build up
- Use more gentle shampoos your hair will thank you

Most definitely Updo's,oils and less hair cuts i used to trim my hair every 8 weeks and it was taking forever to grow, now i like trim every 6 months or so.
Your hair has grown loads this year, ive enjoyed seeing you progress!

isabelx
November 12th, 2011, 07:21 AM
your hair will thank you

Thank you! I sure it already has, it's in great condition now :)

Lostsoule77
November 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Jojo, I can't believe you've trimmed so much after seeing that old thread of yours. Because of people like you I might try microtrimming next year. :)

For me it has been coconut oiling, night braiding, and not brushing. :D

Next year I think I'm gonna try going CO, no cones, & microtrimming. :)

Annibelle
November 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Chopping. I did microtrims for a couple of months, but they really didn't do much for me, since my hair grows slowly-- I was always trimming my entire month's growth plus some! Last week, I decided to just chop two inches (need to chop two+ more for a blunt hemline) and I'm very happy I did! The two inches I chopped were so thin and wispy that, though my hair looks shorter, it's really not-- I'm at waist still, but I don't have any wispies growing beyond that. :) So far, that's the very best thing I did, I think.

...but I've got plenty of other great things going on! :cheese: Very excited about those! (Cassia, herbal washes, etc.!)

Vanilla
November 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Getting seamless combs, using hair sticks and castor oil. All recommendations after I joined LHC in September.

Nae
November 12th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Let it grow! I stopped stressing over the ends and just let it do it's thing. I did trim a little but I have stopped measuring every few days like a crazy person and I am so much happier with it now.

CurlyMopTop
November 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Trimming has helped a lot, although I hate to admit it. I had a couple of bad ones earlier this year, one from a stylist, and the first one that I did. I'm afraid that I haven't gained any length this year because of it, but my ends are very healthy and thicker. :D

Gaining knowledge about sulfates, silicones, natural hair care products, and how my hair reacts to them has helped the most I think. That and learning how to handle my curly hair more gently. ;)

lapushka
November 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Getting my perm cut off after almost three years of letting it grow out, together with nothing but benign neglect. So much damage gone at once!

luluj
November 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Getting my hair layered was something I always wanted to do once it got longer, and in October I did just that. I love them! My length didn't suffer at all for the most part, so it was even better than I had expected! The key was finding a "good stylist" to work with.;)

aisha.christine
November 12th, 2011, 08:10 AM
The best thing I've done for my hair this year was join LHC. :)
After joining, my hair care regimen has done a complete 180*, and my hair is so much happier and healthier for it. :)

Freckled.Thing
November 12th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Learning when and how to detangle the right way.

mrs_coffee
November 12th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Trimming and keeping my washing regimen simple.

lw8666
November 12th, 2011, 08:47 AM
.... heavy coconut oiling before I shampoo.

My ends feel amazing and hydrated. I don't have to trim as often now. I feel it helps prevent split ends in my hair!

Sahar24
November 12th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Tough one - a toss-up between saying bye-bye to heat and using coconut oil.
Either way, I'm amazed at the difference it's made. Since Joining LHC 3-4 months ago, I've had 2 full inches of growth (having trimmed about an inch along the way!)

spidermom
November 12th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Cutting back from classic length to hip; those ends were badly dried out.

Unfortunately my hair decided this would be a good year to grow at a snail's pace, and I'm still 4 inches from reaching classic length again. Boo!

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Stopped oiling. It was messing up my hair.

moon2dove
November 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM

The best thing I ever did for my hair is to join TLHC and taking/reading all the advice given here.
Now my hair has actually grown pass APL Oh, yeah! :D

RedBlue
The best thing I have done for my hair this year would be cutting it in June. Before that, my hair was JUST PAST BSL, but I had split ends! In July of last year, I had dyed my hair for the first time, and through out the rest of the year, I would dye and cut my hair. I probably had at least six haircuts alone last year! They weren't very drastic, just an inch or so trimmed off!
I had my hair cut to a bob in June, because it was also the hottest summer I've ever had! Plus, I am one of those people who get bored easily with their hair, I just wanted something done to it, but not the color or texture!:)

blondie9912
Committing to growing out my natural colour. Although I just dyed my hair 2 days ago in order to help my roots match my natural hair, I will not be dying it ever again! Perhaps anoyther demi-permanent tint to blend my highlights while they grow out, but that's all. Any more highlights and my hair would have snapped off :rolleyes:

LaLaBella
November 16th, 2011, 06:16 PM
When I joined here last year, the front of my hair appeared to be a short bob but the back was very close cropped. As in less than 1/2 inch at my nape. That haircut is what brought me here. I was working on a Jackie-O early '60's bob. Was in fact, almost there when I went to get a trim and my hairdresser hacked my hair.

So, I joined here and the one thing that has made the biggest difference is oils. Coconut mixed with my shampoo. Enjoy or Orofluido several times throughout the day.
I've also had to cut much of my growth in front and at the nape so that the top layers had a chance to catch up.

I'm finally a little past shoulder length and will now get microtrims with maybe an update on long layers every 6 months or so.

HintOfMint
November 16th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Indirectly related, but the best thing I did for my hair was taking care of my scalp. I discovered that my scalp actually needs Head and Shoulders. Once I started using that, my flakes and gunk disappeared and I was able to stretch my washes to once every 3 or 4 days, which in the end was quite good for my hair.

Rowan1980
November 16th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Oh, man, I've got a laundry list. Monthly microtrims/weekly S&D, getting away from 'cones and majorly limiting my sulfate usage (I occasionally use Suave Clarifying, but not often at all), catnip rinses, SMT, and I would probably add henna/cassia glosses.

Oh, and daily oiling made a huge, immediate difference. :D

KwaveT
November 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
I have to say going to CO and treating my hair more gently. I used to rip a brush through wet hair and towel dry my hair very roughly. I would also repeatedly burn my hand with the blow dryer. If I was burning my hand, what was I doing to my hair then.

jenjen10
November 16th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I think the best thing I have done is resist the urge to cut! I kept cutting everytime I got close to BSL and I have finally made it past that point now.:cheese:

CO-ing seems to be working well for me as well... :D

Maraz
November 16th, 2011, 06:49 PM
The best thing I've done for my hair this year is find this site and learn more about henna before I opened my wallet and bought some. I guess my wallet is grateful, too. I thought henna was a temporary dye and would all wash out eventually. I would have regretted it, since I don't want to dye my hair on a regular basis, even with natural dyes. That stuff is pretty expensive, too, or at least the good quality henna is.

raehysteric
November 16th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I can't decide which is best, so here goes the top 3:

Ditching the storebrand leave-ins that did not and going for the cheaper (and better alternative): Oiling. My hair loves it!
Finding LHC.
Dying with henna to strengthen (instead of the usual damaging permanents.) Roots didn't blend in as well as I would like, but overall its much better and softer looking than pre-henna.

janeytilllie
November 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM
This year the best thing I have done is going back S&C with cones and sulfates. My scalp and hair are so much happier. :)

MonaLisa
November 17th, 2011, 02:46 AM
It would definitely be finding LHC!
I was clueless about hair care, damage etc before, and I lacked inspiration!

Since finding LHC i guess the number 1 things was - stop brusing/combing it harshly, especially when wet..
then - stop going to hairdressers, and stop blow drying!

PriscillaCherel
November 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Trimming it, dye it from light blond to brown, and don't dye it since 16 septembre yaye! 2 months:D

Desideira
November 17th, 2011, 03:28 AM
I started to regulary (every 2,5-3 month) take trims to get rid of all the demage part that was breaking off due to the demage i have done in the past to my hair

Id let me finally pass BSL which was a struggle for years before:rolleyes:

I did a big trim in December 2010 and now after almost a year a know that it was worfh to sacrefice lengh (of demaged and splitted hair) to have now hair in better condition. Its more menageble too. Before i didi it i had a terrible tangly hair. Now its so much better and easier for me brush and detangle.:cheese:

maria_tasha
November 17th, 2011, 03:48 AM
My top 3:
- stop coloring. I haven't put any type of dye in my hair since last december 2010
- almost 3 inch cut - my hem line was a fairytale mess that used to get tangled all the time
- started using oils again and coffee rinses.

Olga-Freya
November 17th, 2011, 06:16 AM
The best thing for me was when I chopped off damaged ends and start to trim a little monthly. Now my hemline looks a way better.

vanillabones
November 17th, 2011, 06:36 AM
Joining this site! From which I have not brushed my hair or used heat or backcombed since! Quit the extensions, clip-ins and fusion. Also have no dyed since joining. I have to admit I am due for a tinted hair gloss to match my ends to my root again and dye my hair extensions and add clipins to them, hehe but that is as naughty as I will go.

Amber_Maiden
November 17th, 2011, 06:39 AM
I update the best thing I've done for my hair this year (scratch everything else): Started using a Tangle Teezer- it's day 2. My hair combing time has been cut from 45min-1 hr to 10-5min. I'm AMAZED. :D

freckles
November 17th, 2011, 06:57 AM
I've finally managed to make CO work for me a few times this year. I'm still not CO-exclusively, but once I found the right conditioner, I realised my hair actually DOES like CO, whereas in the past I thought it didn't. Of course, now I'm on the hunt for another conditioner to make this work with, since the one I found is discontinued :(

MasCat
November 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM
.. joined the LHC!

Jesabel
November 17th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Definitely joining LHC and starting CWC method and taking biotin :) going to start oiling properly and consistantly too and see how that goes.

ivka
November 17th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Buying Tangle Teezer seems to be the best thing i have done.

SunnyRainStorm
November 17th, 2011, 08:25 AM
For me rotating between shampoos / conditioners with cones and without and buying an original tangle teaser comb.

SpinDance
November 17th, 2011, 08:48 AM
This year I:
- Continued doing frequent microtrims.
- Tried a number of home made recipes such as SMT and anti frizz gel.
- Found a CO conditioner and procedure that works well for me most of the time.

Nev
November 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM
best thing this year, I joined LHC. I have learned soo much here!

princessp
November 17th, 2011, 11:02 AM
The best thing I've done is left it alone and tried a little benign neglect (I'm still working on this). The fewer complicated things I do to my hair the happier it is.

sun-kissed
November 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Aside from joining TLHC, I'd say the best thing I did was to finally cut 3" of my ratty ends off. My hair feels so much better now, even if it still needs a little more hem-work. :)

pinupdancer
November 17th, 2011, 03:54 PM
The best I've done this year for my hair is joining this community. Seriously, all of you have taught me to treat my hair properly and it feels so much healthier for it. :)

XcaliburGirl
November 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Getting back to a consistent routine, with sulfate-free, silicone-free shampoo. Finally have a happy scalp most days.

Mischamiu
November 17th, 2011, 04:37 PM
trimming and oils, and obvously joining LHC

Avital88
November 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
not going to a hairdresser but only do selftrimming :) that is the best thing ever...i love being in control

jojo
November 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Jojo, I can't believe you've trimmed so much after seeing that old thread of yours. Because of people like you I might try microtrimming next year. :)

For me it has been coconut oiling, night braiding, and not brushing. :D

Next year I think I'm gonna try going CO, no cones, & microtrimming. :) I seriously think that trimming helps you hold onto the ends and retains the growth. My hair type certainly benefits from regualry trims. I am not so much hung up about my length as I was, but I do like my ends blunt and healthy, if my hair was thicker it wouldnt be such a problem but my hair naturally thins at the ends:(

Getting my hair layered was something I always wanted to do once it got longer, and in October I did just that. I love them! My length didn't suffer at all for the most part, so it was even better than I had expected! The key was finding a "good stylist" to work with.;) Id love to have layers but my hair looks too thin with them, but i do admire then on other people, they add bounce.

Tough one - a toss-up between saying bye-bye to heat and using coconut oil.
Either way, I'm amazed at the difference it's made. Since Joining LHC 3-4 months ago, I've had 2 full inches of growth (having trimmed about an inch along the way!)
excellent growth, little changes make a huge difference!

Cutting back from classic length to hip; those ends were badly dried out.

Unfortunately my hair decided this would be a good year to grow at a snail's pace, and I'm still 4 inches from reaching classic length again. Boo! aww bugger, it will speed up again, you have the same kind of attitude as me quality over quantity though you have both!

jojo
November 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
The best thing I ever did for my hair is to join TLHC and taking/reading all the advice given here.
Now my hair has actually grown pass APL Oh, yeah! :D well done you, apl is a great milestone and I enjoyed being that length, if ever I cut back that or just before bsl would be where id go to!

The best thing I have done for my hair this year would be cutting it in June. Before that, my hair was JUST PAST BSL, but I had split ends! In July of last year, I had dyed my hair for the first time, and through out the rest of the year, I would dye and cut my hair. I probably had at least six haircuts alone last year! They weren't very drastic, just an inch or so trimmed off!
I had my hair cut to a bob in June, because it was also the hottest summer I've ever had! Plus, I am one of those people who get bored easily with their hair, I just wanted something done to it, but not the color or texture!:)
change is good and hair is about enjoying, it feels good to get rid of the split ends and enjoy your hair again!

This year the best thing I have done is going back S&C with cones and sulfates. My scalp and hair are so much happier. :) o go I tend to alternate between cones and coneless, i dont really look at labels, I dilute my shampoo now so it doesnt really matter.

The best thing for me was when I chopped off damaged ends and start to trim a little monthly. Now my hemline looks a way better. I like this!

I've finally managed to make CO work for me a few times this year. I'm still not CO-exclusively, but once I found the right conditioner, I realised my hair actually DOES like CO, whereas in the past I thought it didn't. Of course, now I'm on the hunt for another conditioner to make this work with, since the one I found is discontinued :( I see your in the UK a good one which ive just started and only a quid in Inecto coconut shampoo and conditioner, I too have fine hair and its amazingly moisturising!
its £1 in poundland and £1.59 in body care shop! and its coneless!

Aside from joining TLHC, I'd say the best thing I did was to finally cut 3" of my ratty ends off. My hair feels so much better now, even if it still needs a little more hem-work. :)
it feel great eh?

not going to a hairdresser but only do selftrimming :) that is the best thing ever...i love being in control Yeah I fear hair dressers, I did find a brilliant one but she got pregnant and left (how inconsiderate;)) and I never went back since, I just got the creaclip, makes trimming even easier!!

ladyfey
November 17th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Giving up the hairbrush, only using my wide tooth comb. For me the brush just rips at my hair and it harder to control and feel what I am doing, and it is a Mason Pearson brush. My wide tooth comb is much less damaging for me.

jacqueline101
November 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Trim half inch, oil, and use a comb. Learn and use the advice I got from here. Monistat is good too.

Creatureling
November 17th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Definitely finding LHC, and sleeping in braids to cut down on breakage.

Hollyfire3
November 17th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I think the best thing i have done for my hair is to get over this protien overload not growing hair phase i was in. I am happy that my hair is now thick, curly and soft again. Gosh, protein can be HORRIBLE when overdone! I thought i was going to have to cut ALL my hair off anf start over! many many days of moisture shampoo, deep treatments and careful airdrieing and now I'm being rewarded!

jesis
November 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Camellia oil and S&D. :)

vanity_acefake
November 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
Leaving it pretty much alone to do it's own thing.
Benign neglect so works.

Jeido
November 17th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Switched to CV bars and getting the tangle teezer.

Shany
November 18th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Trimming, not dyeing it and going back to cones

Cardinal
November 18th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Switched from coal tar hairdyes to henna. No more itchy flaking scalp, and I get glorious color!

celebriangel
November 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Going cone-free, and oiling. Oh, and giving up the permanent dye.

xoxophelia
November 19th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I think the best thing I have done is just continuing to not heat style and continuing to trim as needed. I have also managed to maintain my patience and not do anything drastic for the hair I want now when the results would be worse in te end with that route.

Next stop-more updos and maintaining for a year to get the hemline I want and to remove faded dye.

MandyBeth
November 19th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Haven't got major growth in a year, at collarbone now from jaw two years ago. But cutting off damage, stopping the evil henna and horrid oil shampoo that caused more damage and getting spayed. Major shed and stall, but I feel better.

Mírien
November 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
If I had to pick one thing that would obviously be self-trimming. :) I worked out a trimming routine which keeps my ends 'fresh' and I still gain some length. :D I take off an inch or a little less every four month.

Earelia
November 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM
The best thing I did to my hair this year was to stop using dye! I am very tempted at times though...

LadyLongLocks
November 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Maintaining the length/trimming the new growth to improve the hemilne.

Not using sls or sles.

LittleB
November 19th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Camellia oil and S&D. :)

Jesis, May I ask what brand of Camellia oil you use? I have looked in stores like Whole Foods and can't find it. I'm not sure which is a good brand if I just buy it online.

I've heard Camellia oil is good for fine hair. Do you know if it is any better than jojoba, grapeseed, etc? B/c I have loads of those.

Thank you. :)

CastaDiva
November 19th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Regular small trims to make the hemline more even and fuller and wearing my hair up. Also heavy overnight oilings with evoo before every wash. It has made wonders for my hair:)

Clelia
November 19th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Stopping the dying and styling-torture, switching to vegan cosmetic... basically joining the LHC.

Zydrate
November 19th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Hmmm, probably the best thing I've done was buying argan and olive oil :).
(and the worst thing is the fact that I haven't trimmed my hair since april)

Yulan
November 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
... nothing.
The time I ignore my hair nearly completely (except of finger combing it) is allways best for it.
Such a pity I have to wash it from time to time. NW/SO doesn't work for me. :(

geminiwoman
November 19th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I quit coloring! I did switch first to semi-permanent for a while to slowly bring it back to matching my roots, but it's been several months now. I'm not even afraid to pat myself on the back for this one, because nobody-not me, not my mother, not the last hairdresser who gave me a trim- can find the line. Where the chemical color ends and my natural roots begin? Total mystery :D

It feels a lot softer these days and also gives me a bit more leeway for styling through awkward stages and blow-drying on cold days.

PixxieStix
November 19th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Well, aside from finding and joining LHC:

Discover organic unrefined coconut oil
Deep conditioning treatments
Oil shampooing
Learning how to detangle my hair, not rip through it with a brush.
BAQ henna

I have learned so much being here, and it's been amazing to figure out what does and doesn't work for my hair, as well as receive support and advice from all you wonderful people. :flowers: