PDA

View Full Version : Shampoo Alternatives

Annibelle
November 11th, 2011, 08:41 PM
After trying WO and CO and getting plenty of shedding (but great hair), I've decided that I need something more cleansing for my scalp, but I'd like to learn more about shampoo alternatives. I'm considering and investigating shampoo bars (not really an alternative, but a different form, I guess) and herbal washes. I'm especially interested in learning more about herbal washes, but can't seem to find much information. I tried my first tea rinse tonight, but I think that's supposed to be used after shampooing instead of on its own.

So what do YOU use instead of shampoo?

:cheese:

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I haven't seen anyone else put it quite this way, but I consider apple cider vinegar to be my wash step. I put it on my scalp before I get my head wet, and scritch it in everywhere.. Then I rinse it out and put the conditioner just on my lengths. I have really ****ed up dandruff though so I can't say how it would work for a normal scalp. (To be clear, the dandruff preceded the ACV! It started while I was using SLS shampoo like a regular capitalist consumer)

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 08:45 PM
baking soda as Shampoo, ACV as CO

Annibelle
November 11th, 2011, 08:48 PM
I haven't seen anyone else put it quite this way, but I consider apple cider vinegar to be my wash step. I put it on my scalp before I get my head wet, and scritch it in everywhere.. Then I rinse it out and put the conditioner just on my lengths. I have really ****ed up dandruff though so I can't say how it would work for a normal scalp. (To be clear, the dandruff preceded the ACV! It started while I was using SLS shampoo like a regular capitalist consumer)

Hmmm, that's interesting. :) ACV is really soothing on the scalp! Especially when it's nice and cold! :)

I'm interested in baking soda... it's not harsh? Does it smell funny? :p I've heard it can lighten the hair... have you noticed this?

My hair likes moisture... I'm wondering if I could get away with ACV as a conditioner... my hair doesn't need A LOT of moisture, though-- just some.

Kelikea
November 11th, 2011, 08:49 PM

Yes, me too. And sometimes follow with a little CO if the weather is very dry.

Mairéad
November 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Rain water actually makes my hair super clean. I wish I had an infinite supply. :D
ACV seems to keep my hair pretty clean. I think slightly acidic rinses make my hair feel really soft and clean, which would make sense why it feels so clean after I get caught in the rain.

Kelikea
November 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
I'm interested in baking soda... it's not harsh? Does it smell funny? :p I've heard it can lighten the hair... have you noticed this?

My hair likes moisture... I'm wondering if I could get away with ACV as a conditioner... my hair doesn't need A LOT of moisture, though-- just some.[/quote]

No, baking soda has no smell. You can dilute it in a dispenser bottle with water and squirt it into your hair and then massage your scalp. Rinse. Then follow with the ACV the same way. I haven't noticed it to be too harsh, just slightly drying after several washes, hence the CO sometimes afterward. It does not lighten my hair. And it is great for sensitive skin. It is my go-to remedy for itchy, flaky scalp. That, and some aloe. And it works for the body, too.

pepperminttea
November 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
It is still shampoo, but I've been using a decyl glucoside-based one instead of a typical sulphate-based one lately. I alternate washing with it and CO washes, and my hair seems quite content. :)

*Rose Red*
November 12th, 2011, 02:23 AM
I use Aleppo Soap from time to time, with an acid rinse after it. good for my scalp!

Milui Elenath
November 12th, 2011, 04:15 AM
I think soapnuts are a good non shampoo option. Others have indicated in other threads that bicarb soda is harsh as a regular shampoo option, though I've certainly used it on my very very dry hair as a clarifier without adverse reaction.

I am WO and love it but I previously tried soapnuts and they would be my second choice. They were just a bit too cleansing for my hair.

The thread is here
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8449&highlight=soapnuts

Aredhel77
November 12th, 2011, 04:48 AM
If your hair doesn't mind a bit of protein, you can use egg to wash your hair. One useful egg shampoo thread is here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40386&highlight=egg%2A+shampoo (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=40386&highlight=egg%2A+shampoo). It contains some recipes.

PrairieRose
November 12th, 2011, 05:39 AM
If you use a Baking soda rinse it should be no more then 1 tablespoon of baking soda to one cup water. If the ratio is more than that is will be too drying for your hair.