PDA

View Full Version : Hair "envy" from other long hairs?

akuamoonmaui
November 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I was in a store today and saw two beautiful heads of long hair. One was a guy with almost tailbone length. Very healthy. He had a special someone so I couldn't be like.... :crush:

but more like.... :whistle:

BUT that's not the reason for my post. The other person (a woman) had lovely, zero split end, naturally shiny, hip length hair. While my hair is getting pretty long, and I love my wurls, it has some damage, I don't have the shine I'd like to and I don't have the hemline I'm working toward (yet). Hey, growing hair is a process and it's not for the impatient, grahs-hoppah...

Anyway she took a look at my hair and seemd to give me dirty looks! I thought :? Really? It took me by surprise. In my little head the LHC is a philosophy that you share with other LH's. I guess maybe not. Any one else have this happen?

On a happier note I work with a woman who has gorgeous :thud: hair.... and she complimented me on mine. :happydance:

lippleyluv
November 11th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Oh I have definitely had this happen to me. It is a relative of mine, surprise surprise. She fried her beautiful hair into straw and then cut it off into a short inverted bob. All was well until I began growing my hair and it began to be obviously longer than hers. Then she would give my hair funny looks & make comments about how this or that my hair was and how it would look so much better with a bit of a trim, yeah, like six inches, huh? . Soooo what did I do? Started wearing it up around her so she couldn't SEE my hair. Now when she sees it she just sneers silently. :cheese: Eat your heart out, HONEY!!

Tota
November 12th, 2011, 12:48 AM
My sister and I have this hair envy going on since she was born with a full head of hair (and I was bald untill I was 2). But I guess in a sibling rivalry way or something, not in a hurtful or mean way. She has always had long hair (waist length or longer). Her hair is naturally thick and shiny and healthy and so and so on, without her caring for it in any way. She can blowdry, dye, iron, wear it down all the time - her hair stays beautiful. She never even uses any kind of hair care product (except shmpoo and conditioner). I, on the other hand, have had "hair problems" since I can remember, because it is fine, thin, oily, tangly and can easily turn into a straw if I don't take care of it properly. So I was always jealous of my sister's long hair. Sounds funny, but she was jealous of mine - because of her hair's thickness and strength she cannot really "rock" any other hairstyle than long long long hair. Short hairstyles on her look as she was wearing a helmet ... And so se was sooo jealous of me when I had a pixie, and a bob, and so on ...

Recently, she had an idea to cut her hair short again. Because it gets in her way and yadayadayada. This comes from a 20-year-old who wears long hair for the last 18 years and who cannot even move normally without it :D I pleaded her not to cut it, because I knew she would regret it. She didn't want to hear it. And then, eureka, I tried something else. Because I take proper care of my care for the first time in my life (thanks to TLHC) I managed to grow it to BSL now and it looks quite presentable. So I said to her: Great idea, cut it, so your hair will be shorter than mine, hahaha. And what did she do ... ? She was soooo mad, didn't even talk to me, went to the hairdresser's and came back with her hair shorter for less than an inch. I was so happy. Victory!

So a little hair envy goes a long way, sometimes it is the only way that encourages us ;)

longhairedlady
November 12th, 2011, 01:20 AM
I dont know if anyone has been envious of my hair, but I am all the time wanting someone else's! The grass is greener and all that stuff, you know?

Cania
November 12th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Ah, I wouldn't take it too personally. I've had girls who are trying to grow their hair tell me long hair is "ugly" and to cut it to shoulder.

Maybe she wasn't glaring because of your hair? She might have seen you looking at the guy and assumed you were checking him out, despite him obviously having an OH? (Not that you were but she might have mistaken it!) Or maybe she's just naturally glarey :P I've accidentally given someone a dirty look before, just because I've been thinking too much!

Lamb
November 12th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Because I take proper care of my care for the first time in my life (thanks to TLHC) I managed to grow it to BSL now and it looks quite presentable. So I said to her: Great idea, cut it, so your hair will be shorter than mine, hahaha. And what did she do ... ? She was soooo mad, didn't even talk to me, went to the hairdresser's and came back with her hair shorter for less than an inch. I was so happy. Victory!

So a little hair envy goes a long way, sometimes it is the only way that encourages us ;)

:agape: Wow. Don't you think this was... well, rather unkind? I mean, my sister has stronger and longer hair than mine, but I'd never dream of making her do something like this just so I could feel better about my own thin, fine hair. Never in a million years.

I'm sure there are healthier ways to enjoy our own hair than acting on envious and jealous thoughts.

Theobroma
November 12th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I pleaded her not to cut it, because I knew she would regret it. She didn't want to hear it. And then, eureka, I tried something else.

Hee hee! Nice bit of reverse psychology there, Tota! :D

longhairedlady
November 12th, 2011, 03:41 AM
:agape: Wow. Don't you think this was... well, rather unkind? I mean, my sister has stronger and longer hair than mine, but I'd never dream of making her do something like this just so I could feel better about my own thin, fine hair. Never in a million years.

I'm sure there are healthier ways to enjoy our own hair than acting on envious and jealous thoughts.

??? I am not really seeing what you think is so wrong that she did? All she did was save her sister from chopping her hair off. Im not trying to be rude, but I think you might have misunderstood her post.

Lamb
November 12th, 2011, 03:49 AM
went to the hairdresser's and came back with her hair shorter for less than an inch.

I've read the post again. I interpreted the bolded bit as "when she came back from the hairdresser's, her hair was shorter than an inch." If I misunderstood it, and Tota actually meant that her sister only had 1" cut off, I hereby apologize to her and anyone else who may have been offended by my post.

??? I am not really seeing what you think is so wrong that she did? All she did was save her sister from chopping her hair off. Im not trying to be rude, but I think you might have misunderstood her post.

trolleypup
November 12th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Mmyup! Although more in the wailing "It's not fair that male long hair looks sooo good!" And also yes for the envying of others with amazing excellent hair...but not in a nasty dragging them down way.

Mayflower
November 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Tell me about it. My best friend has a bit of a problem with jealousy -on other people's clothes, hair, money. Once in a while she makes a comment towards me.
Her hair is SL for the past.. 4 years? But she wants it long for quite some time now. I started growing out mine about 1,5 years ago and am a bit past waist now, which she doesn't like. Her remarks vary from 'You look like that girl from The Ring' to always pointing out girls who's hair is longer than mine. When someone compliments me on how long my hair is, she says 'Yeah but that's because she took those hairpills, isn't it?' while I only took hairpills for 4 months 2 years ago because I was shedding a lot.

I could care less though, it must be so exhausting to always be jealous on other people instead of being happy with herself.

Tota
November 12th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Lamb don't worry about it :) My English can be misleading as it is my third language. She cut her hair for less than an inch so she's still almost at waist. It was reverse psyshology indeed, and I was sure it will work. Sis is waaaay to proud to let me have longer hair, she just needed to be reminded. I would cry if she cut her hair, our whole family would :D She really loves her hair and is proud of it, she just doesn't want to admit it. And she loves when I tell her how much I envy her ;)

Lamb
November 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I'm glad I have not offended you. :) And English is not my first language either, so the misunderstanding is now doubly explained. :D

Lamb don't worry about it :) My English can be misleading as it is my third language. She cut her hair for less than an inch so she's still almost at waist. It was reverse psyshology indeed, and I was sure it will work. Sis is waaaay to proud to let me have longer hair, she just needed to be reminded. I would cry if she cut her hair, our whole family would :D She really loves her hair and is proud of it, she just doesn't want to admit it. And she loves when I tell her how much I envy her ;)

Lostsoule77
November 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I don't think I've encountered anyone having hair envy of me, but I do of my nephew's wife. Both of my nephews' wives have beautiful hair almost as long as mine. The one is Pakistani though so she has that beautiful, shiny, straight, black hair. She always seems to wear it down and it's just glorious. I would love to have that kind of hair, but it just isn't in my genes and dyings not really for me. :)

Pixie0763
November 12th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I'm only jealous because I don't have long hair yet.

Bene
November 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
So, I'm not exactly sure what you (OP) was saying. Were you the envious person or did you think the long hair who gave you the stinkeye was the envious one? Maybe she thought you were staring too long? Or maybe she just walks around with the meanest bitchface and doesn't realize it because that's how her face looks naturally? I walk around with the bitchface all the time, and don't know it unless someone points it out and I'm forced to say "This is how my face looks!"

xoxophelia
November 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Are you saying she gave you dirty looks because she disliked your hair or because she actually liked it?

I don't really get jealous of other people's hair and don't ever see anybody getting jealous over mine. My hair is not really anything for people to be jealous about being two toned and all... ^_^'

jacqueline101
November 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Yeah but it was from short haired people. People with my length of hair.

ilovelonghair
November 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM
It's mostly me being jealous of others' hair, but I did have 2 friends recently commenting they liked my lenght and color and were jealous of it. It rarely happens though because I don't have the best hair :(

Amber_Maiden
November 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
It happens with my husband's family, they say my hair is super long, why not cut it, etc. It's a bit weird. I definitely have the longest hair in his family, including extended family, so we're talking 100-150+ people.

I usually messy bun my hair, people in public can't tell how long it is. I had an incident on the metro once where someone started playing with my hair, reason #1 why I wear it up now. I think they may have even sniffed it? ewww...

Áine
November 12th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I would be such a person who admires other longhairs with envy. Back when I started the original monistat thread in the archives, I wanted to achieve the length that I saw other members have, and I always had problems growing it that long in the past, and it was my dream! Then I got the length, but I still didn't have hair like my idols on here because it wasn't in the best condition. Great at the roots, but royally trashed at the ends even when pampered. I've always been really embarrassed about it to the point where I've posted only few pictures of my hair, and updos really aren't my style on most days. It's really not worth showing off, and I don't want to be ridiculed.

I'm so impressed and smitten by the heads of pretty hair here almost every day. But I think this is the good kind of envy, the type that actually makes you feel happier for having seen such beautiful hair...even if I can't have it myself, I'm glad other people can.

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM
it must be so exhausting to always be jealous on other people instead of being happy with herself.

^ YES. This, exactly! I've never understood the point of having to drag other people down to make oneself feel better. :confused: What exactly does it accomplish?

There is a lady who is a parent of one of my DS8's schoolmates. A couple of years ago, when I first saw her hair loose, I gave her a compliment on it. I was very nice, and said "Wow! Your hair's so BEAUTIFUL!" It was around hip length and she tossed it out behind her in a very flourish-y way, and beamed at the compliment. THEN she spotted my hair, which was in a ponytail and somewhere between classic and mid-thigh at that time. I kid you not, her eyes narrowed and she said "I could never grow my hair as long as yours, though, I hate straggly ends." And then she turned back around to whoever she was talking to.

Tell me that's not purposefully bitchy.

Want to know what my hair looked like right at that time? Do these ends look straggly?? :lol:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=5778&pictureid=75694

akuamoonmaui
November 12th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Ah, I wouldn't take it too personally. I've had girls who are trying to grow their hair tell me long hair is "ugly" and to cut it to shoulder.

Maybe she wasn't glaring because of your hair? She might have seen you looking at the guy and assumed you were checking him out, despite him obviously having an OH? (Not that you were but she might have mistaken it!) Or maybe she's just naturally glarey :P I've accidentally given someone a dirty look before, just because I've been thinking too much!

I didn't take it personally, but thought it was a bit uncalled for? After all, we're in the same club, right? IMO, she had way better hair than me. I'd take me at least 3-4 years to get her length and pristine condition.

She and Mr. Long Hair were not together. He was with someone who had shoulder length hair (they really were a cute couple).

Yep. I've been mistakenly thought to give dirty looks before. But her's was more of a once over. With intent.

akuamoonmaui
November 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
So, I'm not exactly sure what you (OP) was saying. Were you the envious person or did you think the long hair who gave you the stinkeye was the envious one? Maybe she thought you were staring too long? Or maybe she just walks around with the meanest bitchface and doesn't realize it because that's how her face looks naturally? I walk around with the bitchface all the time, and don't know it unless someone points it out and I'm forced to say "This is how my face looks!"

I wasn't envious, hey if you can rock it, more power to you! If anything, I'd hoped my expression was one of approval. I may wish I had "your" hair, but I'm not a hater. That stuff comes back to you.

I don't think that is her face naturally, because her expression changed. She seemed to take a look at my hair (she wasn't looking at my face) and make some kind of a judgement call of sorts. (Who knows what anyone is thinking, really). But her face seemed to be one of disapproval and envy at the same time. What ever it was, it really seemed negative, because she turned away quickly with a scowl.

racrane
November 13th, 2011, 07:01 PM
I am envious, but I try not to stare! I am always so sad when women I see on a regular basis cut their hair. :(

PixxieStix
November 13th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Oh, I get hair "envy" bad, especially around here! But, not the jealous kind, the kind where I admire and think "wow, I'm gonna have that some day after I've dedicated X number of years to pampering it and taking good care, and not chopping it off!" The beautiful long hair I see, while reminds me of my wishes for my own hair, leave me happy for having been graced with the chance to gaze upon such beauty, and also as a reminder to myself that my goals are attainable. :)

Never though have I given someone a dirty look for having nicer hair than mine. Maybe a :crush: sort of look and they thought I was psycho if they saw it, but hey, it's all good.