PDA

View Full Version : Options, other than oil, to condition scalp....

shikara
November 11th, 2011, 08:22 PM
This can be a store bought product or natural. I know mane and tail has a cream for leave on conditioning that you can apply to your scalp, and then there are some other natural alternatives like avocado. Do you know of others? Have you tried them? How did they work for you.

ktani
November 11th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Catnip tea can condition the scalp. It conditions mine without leaving it oily, blocking pores or causing any problems for me at all.

It reduces irritation but the cause is important. When my scalp was sensitized by a fragrance ingredient in a shampoo for example, catnip helped. However, it still took 2 weeks for my scalp to fully recover after stopping use of the product.

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Burdock root rinses are also very conditioning, plus they help in giving hair volume and in enhancing the natural wave in hair. I really must invest in some more.

shikara
November 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I'd love to try the catnip but I have a cat and I'm not sure how that would work out!!,

ktani
November 11th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I'd love to try the catnip but I have a cat and I'm not sure how that would work out!!,

Once the tea is made your cat should not react to it. I have never at any time had cats who love catnip react to my catnip treated hair. I do rinse it out though. I also use catnip on my skin and rinse/wipe it off there too. 0 cat issues.

See my catnip article in the articles section.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
Enjoy conditioning spray can also be used on the skin (^(oo)^)v

lastnite
November 11th, 2011, 10:48 PM
herbal tea rinses...rosemary, sage, basil... the ones that are good in essential oils are good as rinses too. I'm thinking you might be able to mix essential oils up in a cream also, but not sure if you'd still consider that oiling your scalp.

with the cat nip, my cats don't seem to smell it my hair. but once I make a tea with the cat nip and let the cat nip dry out again I can give it to the cats and it's still strong enough for them to want to play in it (or just eat it, lol) so none of it goes to waste!