PDA

View Full Version : thoughts and questions

catkin
July 7th, 2008, 07:05 PM
My hair goes in seasons. In the winter/fall I have to wash it every 3-4 days, usually using a little shampoo every other wash, but in the spring/summer it only needs to be washed every 4-7 days and I can almost exclusively CO, and i was wondering why that is? has anybody else experience this?

My other topic is tangles. For those who have wavy, verging on almost curly hair, how deal you deal with tangles? or do you not have that problem. Brushing is considered a no-no, so how do I keep the amount of tangles down?
I do know of some curlies and what they do is only brush their before they wash it, once or twice a week.

spidermom
July 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Interesting! I could have written your post. I don't know why that is, but I CO once or twice in a row (3-4 days apart), then CWC the third time. That works year-round.

Riot Crrl
July 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I don't know any curlies who can detangle in between wettings really, unless they have flatironed or something. It either looks decent after being worn and slept on for a day, or it doesn't. I'm in the camp that doesn't, so I just get mine wet and condition and detangle it pretty much every day.

harley mama
July 7th, 2008, 07:44 PM
I oil and finger comb if the tangles are bad enough to bother me. Otherwise I just leave it alone until I CO again. In the summer I CO almost daily since I swim or walk. I can't leave my scalp sweaty or it will start itching.

When I say CO I mean that I use conditioner after rinsing well in clean water. I have to use some conditioner to be able to detangle. I use diluted conditioner for freshening up my scalp. I do a heavy CO about twice a week. That is when I goop on a ton of conditioner, massage my scalp really good and then, let it sit while I finish my other showering duties. I rinse well and add a little conditioner to the ends as a leave in. So far, I have had good luck with this routine.

Darkhorse1
July 7th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I wash my hair every 2 days or so, but in the summer, I have to do it more if I'm riding/sweating alot in my helmet. A friend of mine was talking about that too--her scalp was itchy from being at a show yesterday. I think mine is a bit less itchy as I was wearing a vented helmet which allowed my scalp to breath better.

I would assume that in the summer, perhaps your climate is more humid? Keeps your scalp moist? Or would that by dry? Sorry, I'm not thinking straight! Hahahah.

KateMcC
July 7th, 2008, 09:19 PM
My hair care changes by season also. During the summer it is so hot that anytime I do anything, I want to wash my hair, but I CO for the most part. During the rest of the year I can get away with washing twice a week, usually alternating between a S&C and CO.

I think heat, humidity, and the change in my activities requires a change in hair care.

You are not alone.

Gothic Lolita
July 8th, 2008, 01:45 AM
I have no advice on your tangling problem, but an idea about the washing frequency. I think you have to wash more in winter because of the heated rooms. The air is drier than usual, so maybe your scalp produces more oils. Also, it could be the "climate changing", from going outside, where weather is cold and rough to going inside. Maybe your scalp is irritated then.

jojo
July 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
My hair goes in seasons. In the winter/fall I have to wash it every 3-4 days, usually using a little shampoo every other wash, but in the spring/summer it only needs to be washed every 4-7 days and I can almost exclusively CO, and i was wondering why that is? has anybody else experience this?

My other topic is tangles. For those who have wavy, verging on almost curly hair, how deal you deal with tangles? or do you not have that problem. Brushing is considered a no-no, so how do I keep the amount of tangles down?
I do know of some curlies and what they do is only brush their before they wash it, once or twice a week.

Your hair is my double! Me too summer CO washes are great, yet no good in winter.

Tangles are a pain, literally at the moment for me. I have gone back to cones and although there are still some tangles, no way near as bad now.

I also mainly comb, I like the odd brush but find my hair is better is I just wash and braid whilst wet.