PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean and maintain your hair brushes

Anisaa
November 11th, 2011, 04:45 PM
How do often do you clean your hair brushes? What do you use to clean them?

GhostLocks
November 11th, 2011, 05:27 PM
I personally just pull all of the hair out and then rinse it in warm water, add a little shampoo and rub it in, then rinse it out. I usually rinse out mine twice a year (I like the extra oils it adds to my hair :). )

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I personally just pull all of the hair out and then rinse it in warm water, add a little shampoo and rub it in, then rinse it out. I usually rinse out mine twice a year (I like the extra oils it adds to my hair :). )

Same here!

KwaveT
November 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I am not even sure that I am doing it right. I just put some shampoo in a container of water and mix it together. I dropped my wide tooth comb, tangle teezer, and boar bristle brush in mixture. I left them in there all day. Let them dry overnight once I took them out.

owlathena
November 11th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I just pull the hair out and rinse them under warm water if theres any sort of residue

redwoman
November 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I have a wood pin brush so I can't wash it, I use a dry toothbrush between the bristles if it seems to need something.

blondie9912
November 11th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Take the hair out of my boar bristle brush after every time I brush. I then wash it with a bit of shampoo and warm water about twice a month. My one, wonderful comb (got it 12 years ago with a Conair blowfryer, but it's lasted way longer than the dryer! It's perfectly spaced and rounded teeth NEVER take too much hair out. I absolutely loooove it!) I never wash. It's plastic, so I take it into the shower with me every once in a while to comb conditioner through. I'm sure it gets clean enough that way :)

Anisaa
November 11th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Thank You ladies!! I love easy, simple ideas ;)

Madora
November 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I've been using pure bbbs for more than 40 years and here's how I care for them:

Hair removed from the brush every day.

Quickie wash (every day):

Put a small amount of Neutrogena soap on a nail brush and scrub bristles briskly

Rinse well under cold water. Fan the bristles to remove as much water as possible.

Wipe off all wooden parts of brush with a towel, then place the brush bristles side DOWN on a microfiber towel.

Weekly soak:

Take a tall glass and put in a small amount of shampoo and mix well with about 8 oz of warm water.

Put in the brush so the bristles are fully submerged.

Let it soak for 7 minutes then rinse well with cold water, shake it well, then wipe off all wooden parts and place it bristles down on a microfiber towel.

Your boar bristles will last many years with proper handling.

Do NOT let them soak more than 10 minutes. The glue will become weakened over time and eventually the bristles will fall out, clump by clump.

Each of my Goody brushes lasted - on average - 11 years each.

Kelikea
November 12th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I use a copper-coated bristle paddle brush. I hate that greyish goo that gets all over the bristles. Soap and water don't seem to remove it, its too sticky or gunky. Would ACV work? Or would it react with the copper. Sometimes I put it in the dishwasher. ???

moon2dove
November 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM
How do often do you clean your hair brushes? What do you use to clean them?

I clean my combs by leaving them in some hot water with condish to soak, then give them a clean with an old tooth brush to get in between the teeth :)

irishlady
November 12th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I remove all the hair from my Tangle Teezer and comb, then scrub them gently with an old clean toothbrush and some shampoo.

ScarlettAdelle
November 12th, 2011, 12:09 PM
combs: stiff nail brush and water to clean any debris off of them. A dab of dish soap if necessary.

Brushes, including BBB: use a comb to remove hair from them, scrubdown with the nail brush I also use for my combs.

Both: after cleaning off all the visible whatnot, I put them all in the barbicide solution for 15 minutes to kill anything I don't know about... not that I think I have some sort of parasite or something, but you never know what could be lurking in drawers.

TheBluffs
November 13th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I comb most of the time, so I take the hairs out after. Once in a while, I run the comb over with vinegar to get the oil out .

MJheals
November 13th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I just bought my first Denman brush (the regular old styling brush) and I love how easy it is to clean! I oil my hair a lot so my brush picks up quite a bit (as I also brush a lot). It's great to just be able to take a soft scrub-brush and clean it with some soapy water.

ashke50
November 13th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I wash my brush once a month or so (but I don't use it every day). I comb the hairs out of it, then run it under a warm tap. Then I shake up some shampoo and water in a bottle, pour that over, and then rinse it off again. Then wipe it down with a towel, and leave it facing down to dry.

jeanniet
November 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I have Mason Pearson brushes and follow their cleaning advice: http://www.masonpearson.com/main.html. I never submerge them in water, but if I had less expensive brushes that wouldn't be a wrench to replace I probably wouldn't care about that. My Tangle Teezers are soaked in soapy water and then I run the MP cleaning brush through them and rinse. I have multiple TTs and rotate them every couple of days. I like using clean brushes and combs. :)

Tea Lady
November 13th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Like jeanniet, I use the Mason Pearson instructions. But I do use mild shampoo to make the lather with (I'm not sure what they want you to make the lather with, if not shampoo - unless they just mean not to use shampoo directly from the bottle onto the brush?). I use the special cleaning brush that came with it. I don't clean the brush too often, only if it looks grungy or if I seem to be planting a lot of excess oil onto my hair while brushing. My combs are faux horn. I wash them in shampoo usually at the same time I do the brush. My Ric Carpenter comb I never wash; I only oil it about once a month, more often if I am oiling my hair (I spread the small amount of oil onto my palms, rub the comb with my oiled palms, then apply the rest of the oil to my length).

Tea Lady