PDA

View Full Version : Purple hair

unknown
November 11th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I want to dye my hair a deep purple.
I have dark brown/black hair which means that I have to dye/bleach it, but I don't want to end up damaging my hair...

Any tips on lightening my hair w/o damaging too much? I was planning on using dye instead on bleach until someone on the hairdye forum told me blonde hairdye is the same as bleach. :confused: (I'm quite unsure about this as people says that the dye wasn't as damaging.)

I was planning on using some coconut oil to prevent damage. Also, honey doesn't work on my hair.

Will lightening my hair to a light brown colour be enough for the dye be as vibrant as it is in Dementia1013 pictures?

KiwiBum
November 11th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Hmm... The only other option I've heard of that doesn't involve bleach or honey is lemon juice. I think you just apply it and sit in the sun for a decent amount of time for it to work, and its very gradual. I've read about it but never tried it.

You could probably use a dye like Manic Panic on your hair without lightening it and it will still give you noticeable highlights. I used their Vampire Red shade on my medium brown hair last year without lightening it and was a pretty intense shade of red.

Hope this helps!

Isilme
November 11th, 2011, 04:58 PM
A blonde haircolor is going to bleach your hair, same as bleach. The two of them are just as damaging depending on the amount of peroxide. The only difference is that the dye is going to put a colour in your hair as well.
I had a purple strand for awhile and used bleach to make it lighter (about light yellow) and then Stargazer dye in purple

JellyBene
November 11th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I see that your hair is a type C, although bleach still wont be GOOD for it, it will be far less damaging than it would be on someone with finer hair. I have a hairtype M (need to re-type on my settings) and I used to use bleach all the time and my hair actually stayed decently healthy. I couple of my friends with fine hair use bleach but their hair has suffered from it. I have another friend with coarse hair who uses bleach and it truly really isn't damaged. Coarse hair holds up to damage very well. I suggest testing a small strip of your hair with bleach and just see what happens, see if it really gets any damage and then you can consider your whole head :) hope that helped!