PDA

View Full Version : Henna over manic panic??

MeghannRenee
November 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Hello!

I'm new to the forum, and I'm in a predicament.

Long story short - I follow a no poo regime, I used manic panic vampire red on my naturally brown hair, FORGOT it wouldn't washout without shampoo, and now I can't get it out (despite using nearly full bottle of shampoo, trying hot oil treatments, and trying mashed up Vitamin C... ).

Has anyone henna'd OVER Manic Panic, and did it have a drastic, or permanent effect on the color?

Also, I know to do a strand test, just trying to figure if I'm wasting my time with the MP stuck there...

Thanks!!!

stacyyyy1972
November 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I have heard others that have used manic panic and henna together to achieve a bit more red. However Im not certain they did it after the henna or before..or even if it would make much difference in sequence. What is your color goal? with the henna it is only going to add more red-orange to this as well so it will not actually bring the color darker at all unless you try the indigo and henna mix. It is safe to use this over manic panic..just make sure it is pure henna and indigo and not something with compounds in it. Henna sooq is one place to order from :)

MeghannRenee
November 12th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I'm not really sure what my color goal is... I was a box-red for years, then I stopped because my hair was fried - had a salon bleach and dye back to a color close to my natural color and just left it. I miss being a red-head.
I figure that with henna I'll get some shade of auburn. So long as it's a warm color that doesn't lead to damage or green hair I'll be happy :)

RedheadMistress
November 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
- Just do it, I think you'll be happy with the result as long as you use pure henna .

numbernine
November 12th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I hennaed over my manic panic it was vampire red too but on bleached hair and it came out fine no problems or damage,
it was still red but a less pinky colour but i needed a couple of henna treatment to get the darker red i was looking for.
It made my hair feel great and look really shiny
i would imagine you would get a dark red/ aurburn colour on unbleached hair with the vampire red but if you have been doing nopoo you will need to clarify before you henna or it might not take well.
hope that helps

coffinhert
November 12th, 2011, 02:02 PM
If you were tired of box dye messing up your hair, but like being a red head, henna is sooo the way to go. That's my story exactly. I had even shaved my head once because the dye made my hair so bad, then I grew it all back out and dyed it red again and argh it was still like straw! But then I did henna and it made a world of difference. The henna will even help repair the length of your hair that is fried now, it will smooth it down and make it softer and stronger. By hennaing over my dye I was able to keep the length this time. I would definitely do henna if I were you. Feel free to PM me or keep asking questions, you're on to something good here :) I love being auburn and henna is the awesomest thing I have tried for it.

MeghannRenee
November 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks all for the help and advice -
I'm going to mix the henna tonight, let it sit, and to my first application tomorrow :)

MJheals
November 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks all for the help and advice -
I'm going to mix the henna tonight, let it sit, and to my first application tomorrow :)

:beerchug: You won't regret it! Just thought I'd chime in with another experience; I did henna over deep pink manic panic and the henna definitely covered it. It's also a great conditioning treatment! :D

Amber_Maiden
November 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I have. I got maroon hair.