PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Bun Help- Braid Placement Tips?

herbgurl82
July 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I have adored this hairstyle since I found this page:
http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/china-sticks/

Is there a trick to making sure the braids are evenly placed on the head? Every time I try to make my braids look like the first picture, even though I part my hair down the center, one of the braids always winds up a little higher than the other one, and one braid winds up thicker than the other. Is there any way to prevent this problem? I’ve thought about making two small pigtails with elastics to make sure they are evenly placed, but am afraid of breakage in the area around the elastic. (My hair is also very, very fine, and easily tangley as well, so that might be disastrous. )

Gabriel
July 7th, 2008, 07:12 PM
me too! I love this hairstyle and can't ever seem to get the braids even!

Gumball
July 7th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Some people naturally may have slightly thicker hair on one side of their head. Other factors for how the braids are done, even just those initial sections or initial strand crossing can play a part. I do know there's a lot more success on evenness in Chinese buns when you start with a ponytail, divide the pony in half and braid each half. Then you'll just want to stick the hairstick in your hair close to your head before the hair tie and then finish the bun like you see in those pictures. You can also do it as seen in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3407), just braid the length instead of leaving it loose. Hope that helps!

harley mama
July 7th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Gumball, that is how I do my Chinese Bun and it seems to work great for me.
I had never seen it done with 2 braids before. I'd have a hard time hiding my
part if I tried it like that.

herbgurl82
July 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Some people naturally may have slightly thicker hair on one side of their head. Other factors for how the braids are done, even just those initial sections or initial strand crossing can play a part. I do know there's a lot more success on evenness in Chinese buns when you start with a ponytail, divide the pony in half and braid each half. Then you'll just want to stick the hairstick in your hair close to your head before the hair tie and then finish the bun like you see in those pictures. You can also do it as seen in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3407), just braid the length instead of leaving it loose. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice and the links Gumball. The next time I try doing this, I will try starting with a ponytail. The last time I tried though, it kind of made a funny loop at the bottom. Maybe now that my hair is longer, I can drape it looser, and it won't turn out so funny looking. (I really wish I had a camera to show what I was talking about!) Or maybe I can just get my mother or someone else to braid my hair for me, then put it up when they are done. :o

Meli
July 12th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Have you thought about how you start your braids? Such a simple thing as if you start with crossing the left or right strand over the middle can make a difference in how the braids are placed. Try both ways and see what works best. If you start both braids in the same way - try change it in one braid so it will be like if the braids are mirrored. When I do this bun, I always start with the outer strand: left braid I start crossing left strand over middle, and the right braid I start with crossing the right strand over middle. This way it turns out best on my hair, and also makes it easier (for me) to get the braids tight together.

Nevermore
July 12th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I find chinese buns easier to do another way: ponytail, then divide the tail into two parts (left and right), then braid each and continue making the bun as usual, otherwise I end up with the same problem.

angelthadiva
July 12th, 2008, 11:46 PM
I too fell in love with this style, but I can't part straight to save my life!!

I was having the same problem as you as far as keeping the braid thickness as close to the same on both sides...I'm glad Gumball shared his tip--I saw a gal on youtube do her Chinese Braided Bun that way and had an "ah ha" moment! I think the ponytail base is a more secure style for me and it gives me the sleek front and sides look that I like! :)