PDA

View Full Version : Calling all dudes with long curls!

Long_Curls
November 11th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hi all,

Just wondering if we have more guys here with long curls. Tried searching a bit but don't seem to find any active users.

Myself (below) after a busy day of moving about. Curls are very springy, they touch my chest when wet. I prefer to wear them loose but they were looking too messy so I just tied them up.

I have been growing them for about 2 1/2 years from very short (almost shaved length). Haven't had even a mere trim since then (I know, me so naughty!!). Seriously, I don't trust anyone with scissors around my hair plus most barbers/hairdressers have no clue about curly hair. I am the best expert for my hair and the only one allowed with scissors within 3 feet of my head. I am aware the same is shared among those who value their hair even slightly.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/From%20fat%20to%20fit/manlycurls_side2.jpg

Any other curly dudes out here? Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Cheers

Cania
November 11th, 2011, 03:00 AM
I don't have curly hair, and I'm not male.. but I just have to say, your hair is absolutely amazing!

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM
You are going to get soooo many women oggling those gorgeous curls you have happening there...And put a shirt on, I'm hot enough down here in the summertime. :p

BTW- Good luck with the WO experiment...

Avital88
November 11th, 2011, 04:29 AM
haha i second moor tu lyf... great hair. i love long curly hair on guys

redmj
November 11th, 2011, 05:11 AM
Ha ha again not a male here just a curious girl who is loving your curls. But I must admit the lack of attire is a bit distracting.

DarthCynthia
November 11th, 2011, 06:57 AM
My husband isn't active on here anymore, but he is growing his hair out and has curly hair. He doesn't wear his hair tied back much right now, and it's not as easy to pull back due to the current length and some of the shorter layers. If you pull the curls, it's much longer, but it always bounces back to a "shorter" length.

He has to use product to weigh it down and is always fretting about wind or anything that will poof his hair back out. He can get frustrated with it looking "messy" (supposedly), because he's been told at past jobs to cut his hair and he doesn't like doing that -- we both hate his hair shorter because he looks weird with short hair. He tries to keep his hair neat, but there are always one or two people at a job that think men shouldn't have longer hair while everyone else is fine with it. Fortunately his current job doesn't seem to mind *knocks on wood*

He doesn't plan to have very long hair, I think he just wants to grow it long enough where he can pull it back more easily. I'm not sure yet how long that would be, and I've not had a chance to see how long his hair is uncurled. He doesn't trim it and uses CO, but he doesn't worry about cones or anything like that and also uses different hair creams/gels/etc.

LocustSpawning
November 11th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Jeez, look at all these lady admirers :p

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 07:50 AM
You may not find other guys here to talk to. I've seen a couple but none with hair as curly as yours. But, as previous posters have said, you'll surely find many admirers.

My DH has your same hair type. I've been trying to get him to grow it long for ages. I get really irritable when he gets his hair cut because they always butcher it. They really have no clue what to do with curly hair.

alexandros22
November 11th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'm male, I don't think my hair is considered curly (wavy is more accurate I think) and I don't even know if it is ,yet, considered long! Good to see more guys here!

rowie
November 11th, 2011, 08:00 AM
What's up! wavy hair dude here. I'm the same way, I don't trust anyone to cut my hair but myself. Nice to see you guys.

redmj
November 11th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Ok dudes. We wanna see more wavy/curly hair pics.

battles
November 11th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Just another lady admirer dropping in for a visit. Hai. :p

DavidN
November 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
My hair isn't curly on all days, but can get considerable wavier, with even some curls, on humid or rainy days.

Welcome to the Long Hair Community, Long Curls, and I should say that your thick curls are awesome!

jtl45
November 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
sorry, just a guy with hair as straight as a board to my waist.
Jim

Annibelle
November 11th, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm just here to see some long curls! Come on, guys! (BTW, I knew that, by the time a guy started a thread, it would be a great one. ;) )

ladonna
November 11th, 2011, 12:33 PM
ooooooooooogling :o

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if we have more guys here with long curls. Tried searching a bit but don't seem to find any active users.

Myself (below) after a busy day of moving about. Curls are very springy, they touch my chest when wet. I prefer to wear them loose but they were looking too messy so I just tied them up.

I have been growing them for about 2 1/2 years from very short (almost shaved length). Haven't had even a mere trim since then (I know, me so naughty!!). Seriously, I don't trust anyone with scissors around my hair plus most barbers/hairdressers have no clue about curly hair. I am the best expert for my hair and the only one allowed with scissors within 3 feet of my head. I am aware the same is shared among those who value their hair even slightly.

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/OneCurlyMan/From%20fat%20to%20fit/manlycurls_side2.jpg

Any other curly dudes out here? Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Cheers

(fainting) Your hair is GORGEOUS. Welcome to LHC.

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 12:51 PM
ETA. Oh durr, guess my post there was a little redundant. ^^ :p Anyway...SO good to see guys posting on here...whether curly or not! Would love to see long hair on guys come back as a full-on trend, but then, I'm selfish that way! :D

Slinks
November 11th, 2011, 01:27 PM
:lol: if we girls didn't hog the thread there probably would be more guys !! :-)

Long Curls your hair is gorgeous :thud: and I agree put a shirt on I'm married !! :lol: :-)

ETA: a couple of the mods have gorgeous waves going on and Gumball has some serious loose curls

moxamoll
November 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I twelfth or thirteenth or whatever... gorgeous hair!

My DBF has curly hair but keeps it cut really short. I wish I could convince him to grow it out, I think it would be a lot like yours. Sigh.

Welcome and ignore the others - if you want to go shirtless, I can look even if I can't touch! LOL

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 01:44 PM
ETA: a couple of the mods have gorgeous waves going on and Gumball has some serious loose curls

I agree. We have some absolutely gorgeous guy-hair going on over here. I don't think men post as frequently as women in general on LHC but yes, there's guy hair inspiration here to be sure.

jeanniet
November 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Those are some amazing curls! My 15 year old son has very curly hair (looser curls than you). Unfortunately I can't get him to grow it more than about 5", and right now--sob--his hair is about 1/2" long. He grows it and buzzes it off. I love his curls, but he doesn't care what Mom wants, the little ingrate. :D

owlathena
November 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Oooooooo :D amazing curls!

Lissandria
November 11th, 2011, 04:30 PM
I really like long hair on men. :) Good to see you men here on LHC, wish there were more of you!
Welcome and gorgeous curls.

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I really like long hair on men. :) Good to see you men here on LHC, wish there were more of you!
Welcome and gorgeous curls.

There might be if we could resist pouncing on them as soon as they post a picture!!

The ladies go :eyebrows::yumm: and the dudes are like :uhh::run:

:D

KwaveT
November 11th, 2011, 06:41 PM
The second I saw the first post I knew the topic starter was going to have an audience of women oogling over him. My hair is more or less soft waves rather than curls. It is not long by any stretch of imagination. I am still debating when I should put my first pictures up. I want my hair a little longer first. At its current length it is hard to make out the length in back since it wants to dip just inside my shirt. You have nothing to worry about with me taking shirtless pictures. I don't like going without one.

DarthCynthia
November 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM
There was no ogling from me... as I said, my husband doesn't log on here anymore but I did tell him about the thread in case he was interested in replying to the OP with more information than I provided about his hair. :)

PixxieStix
November 11th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Welcome, and holy cow gorgeous hair! I'm feeling a little envy right now. My FH is growing his hair out again, but his is stick straight, when we met, it was between waist and hip length. I love seeing guys rock their long hair, I hope you get more replies or even start a trend! And good luck with the growing!

MagicAndMayhem
November 11th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Welcome! I'm gonna join the ooglefest :p

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 08:12 PM
There might be if we could resist pouncing on them as soon as they post a picture!!

The ladies go :eyebrows::yumm: and the dudes are like :uhh::run:

Ha ha, I doubt the men want to run from being told how awesome they are... ;)

gthlvrmx
November 11th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Curly long haired male!!!!!!! :) :D And i love it!
Your hair is amazing!!! My type of hair, i love curly hair on guys! Especially like yours, that's amazing, you can do cool things with that! Mine just falls down and looks very....girly XD Feminine, theyre too loose.
I have photos in my album of my curly hair :) Welcome! :D
I too am not willing to go back to hair salons, i trim my own hair when needed :) Cant wait to see more pics from you!

Long_Curls
November 12th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Wow, thanks for the compliments people! Now, where is the blushing emoticon? ;)

In all honesty, my hair never goes unnoticed and many times the reaction I get from ladies is more like, "OMG, what do you do to your hair to make it look like that?" or "is it real?" (and then they try to touch it, I have smacked away quite a few hands in these 2 1/2 years). I just say I use chicken fat from a grilled chicken and dry penne pasta to mold my curls.

Guys also ask questions but they tend to be more discreet, I find many guys would like to grow their hair (including those with curly hair) but they don't have the motivation or determination (which means, going against what a submissive utilitarian society wants: short haired male sheep that do as told and believe without questioning). I am getting a bit off track now but I grew my hair because it just felt like it was right, like it was me, and I have had to be 100% myself and determined to get to where I am because the road was filled with obstacles (as many of you fellow long hairs know). If I ever cut my hair it would be because I want to, not because some balding dude who has had to put up with 20 years of corporate hierarchical submission wants me to be like the others. This is where being your own boss comes handy but that is another massive topic. Full stop.

I have some long hair buddies and just like DavidN (awesome hair, my friend), most guys find that their what they believed was straight hair, actually curls slightly (wavy). Finding straight as a board hair is, IMO, difficult but it really looks pretty diesel (jtl45, I am looking at you!). I want to grow it a bit longer because growing it to waist level would just have me spending half a day unknotting LOL

gthlvrmx, I cannot access profiles (I think due to post level) so feel free to post a pic here! Any other curly dudes, post a pic!

About the shirtless thing, I am a heater so I tend to walk about in my house shirtless, especially since I like to wear my curls loose and I find most t-shirts/shirts to mat my curls, hence I prefer bare skin. Will take it into account for further pics as I plan to do an experiment where I go 30 days with only water and will be taking pics. Actually, I have taken some progress pics too and I will have to double check it I am shirtless or not in them LOL

Thanks again for your replies.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I find many guys would like to grow their hair (including those with curly hair) but they don't have the motivation or determination (which means, going against what a submissive utilitarian society wants: short haired male sheep that do as told and believe without questioning). I am getting a bit off track now but I grew my hair because it just felt like it was right, like it was me, and I have had to be 100% myself and determined to get to where I am because the road was filled with obstacles (as many of you fellow long hairs know). If I ever cut my hair it would be because I want to, not because some balding dude who has had to put up with 20 years of corporate hierarchical submission wants me to be like the others.

Can I get an amen!?!?

Seriously, though, well said.

IanB
November 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM
No curls but a bit of a wave and getting longer! Great hair though my ftriend, but why so shy? :)

Long_Curls
November 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Can I get an amen!?!?

Seriously, though, well said.

Thanks! Just another perspective, I suppose.

No curls but a bit of a wave and getting longer! Great hair though my ftriend, but why so shy? :)

Thanks! It says 68 under your username, I must say you have an impressive mane, even more so at an age where most men are bald.

Kindredraeven
November 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Oh my I am with all the women here LOVE the curls !!!

Maelyssa
November 12th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have to ask you some advice about growing out long, curly hair on a guy. My son is 12 and really lazy about taking care of his hair yet he wants to grow his out. He has the same color & curl that you do. Right now he's in the looks like Ronald McDonald the Clown stage if he just lets it go. So too long to look neat & too short to pull back.
Do you have any suggestions on styles or anything I can have him do with his hair during this messy, in between stage?
Thanks!

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 05:26 PM
It looks really nice. What's your goal length?

EdG
November 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Welcome, Long_Curls! :waving:

I don't think there are many guys here with hair as curly as yours. My hair is quite straight.

I like your reasoning - if one has the right genetics for long hair, might as well flaunt it. I see no reason to cut my hair just because other men can't grow long hair. :cheese:
Ed

Slinks
November 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Wow, thanks for the compliments people! Now, where is the blushing emoticon? ;)

Actually, I have taken some progress pics too and I will have to double check it I am shirtless or not in them LOL

Thanks again for your replies.

you will find more emoticons in the (more) part of the smilies but I do think this one is used for blushing :o :D

as for the shirt thing PLEASE don't take us seriously :lol: ;-)

Pierre
November 12th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have curls, but not nearly as curly as yours! They're curly enough to stay braided for a few days.

Peter
November 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Cool hair man! My hair used to be fairly wavy but it's straightened out a bit as it's gotten longer (see my profile picture).

And dang, ladies. Does this mean I'm allowed to hit on all the beautiful lasses here? :D

GlennaGirl
November 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
And dang, ladies. Does this mean I'm allowed to hit on all the beautiful lasses here? :D

What?? Absolutely NOT. No hitting on the ladies here.

...However...posing shirtless is still okay.

:D :run:

Diesel Tech
November 12th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Sorry, just a wavy haired white boy here. When my hair was in the 4-10 inch long range it would curl, not like yours, though. Now that it has grown out, about 3 inches from BSL, it has just stretched out to gentle waves.

redmj
November 12th, 2011, 08:20 PM
I gotta say the pics that have been posted have been great. Loving them in fact. I still want more. I LOVE looking at healthy long hair. Starting to be more into long haired guys too, which is a first. I'm kinda liking being converted.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Cool hair man! My hair used to be fairly wavy but it's straightened out a bit as it's gotten longer (see my profile picture).

I'm glad someone said this. I really think it would most definitely NOT be okay. I would be flattered if some males replied, "Your hair is beautiful." But remarks about how they just visited the thread to oooggle at my picture would really bother me.

It's a bit of a double standard isn't it? Most women would not be comfortable with the level of attention the OP got for his picture. I actually talked to my DH about it and he claimed that it's different for guys but I don't know, it still doesn't seem right to me. :shrug:

ETA: Yes I do realize that I am maybe being oversensitive. That's just how I roll. :rockerdud'n it, sensitive style.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Sorry, just a wavy haired white boy here. When my hair was in the 4-10 inch long range it would curl, not like yours, though. Now that it has grown out, about 3 inches from BSL, it has just stretched out to gentle waves.

....:D

Seriously, though, does it count as a measurement for dudes? I'm also wondering because I don't wear bras and I have only a vague idea of where BSL might be.

Peter
November 12th, 2011, 08:55 PM
the level of attention the OP got for his pictureAnd what's up with that anyway? You can only see OP's shoulder and the ladies here are going nuts! I'm so confused! :p

Imagine what you'd do if someone posted a full torso shot. :o

ETA: On a more serious note... to answer your question, BSL is sometimes called mid-back length (MBL) for males.

holothuroidea
November 12th, 2011, 09:02 PM
And what's up with that anyway? You can only see OP's shoulder and the ladies here are going nuts! I'm so confused! :p

Imagine what you'd do if someone posted a full torso shot. :o

ETA: On a more serious note... to answer your question, BSL is sometimes called mid-back length (MBL) for males.

You are underestimating the attractive power of male shoulders. It's the frame and the curve and it alludes to the way the rest of the body is built. I guess the female equivalent would be hips. Good strong shoulders are very, very attractive.
ETA: Can you imagine how much attention you'd pay to a picture of a naked female hip, with beautiful hair brushing up against it. If you couldn't see her face or even the rest of her body would it mater? Honestly! That's what it's like.

Thanks for that clarification, too. I imagine it as the widest part of the back on a female, but that doesn't translate to a male (widest part would be shoulders). MBL makes sense.

Asequui
November 13th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Well, looks like I'm a bit late to the party.
Definitely not a guy but wanted to drop in anyway to say "welcome" and that your hair is thud-worthy. :thudpile:
Happy growing!

Long_Curls
November 13th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thank you all for the compliments. Hopefully some other guys with curly (or wavy) hair can post their hair pic too! Peter and Pierre, get a pic going!

It's a bit of a double standard isn't it? Most women would not be comfortable with the level of attention the OP got for his picture. I actually talked to my DH about it and he claimed that it's different for guys but I don't know, it still doesn't seem right to me. :shrug:

I agree with your husband in that compliments from women tend to be more benign than those from males. Having said that, I have received some shocking compliments (hair and body) from females that completely turned me off. Especially with girls who know me and then see me when they are drunk, they have gone from nice compliments on a daily basis to making a fool of themselves. Compliments don't bother me, they are the result of my hard work and I certainly don't do this to get compliments; most women tell me I would look more handsome with short curls. Bla bla bla, I don't care, it's my hair.

Long_Curls
November 13th, 2011, 05:18 AM
I have to ask you some advice about growing out long, curly hair on a guy. My son is 12 and really lazy about taking care of his hair yet he wants to grow his out. He has the same color & curl that you do. Right now he's in the looks like Ronald McDonald the Clown stage if he just lets it go. So too long to look neat & too short to pull back.
Do you have any suggestions on styles or anything I can have him do with his hair during this messy, in between stage?
Thanks!

Hi Maelyssa,

I will tell you what, how about if I answer this question on my blog? I think that is a great question and, since I have a Q&A section, would it be OK with you if I answer it for my readers to see too? My blog is new and I cover hair among other topics.

I don't have much time now but in brief words, your son is in the feared awkward phase so any hairstyles he uses are not going to look very good regardless. I would be proactive and take care of the curls with good grooming and protection so that the curls are looking good by the time they achieve enough length. I recommend to stay determined and NOT cut hair whatsoever. My awkward phase lasted a year (my hair is very coily and thick) and it has been very recently that I pulled out of it.

coffinhert
November 13th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I don't know if this guy was already brought up, but here's a collection of pics of him and his long curly locks http://****yeahtrevornicholls.tumblr.com/

ETA:
replace the **** with the F word to make hte link work

Maelyssa
November 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Maelyssa,

I will tell you what, how about if I answer this question on my blog? I think that is a great question and, since I have a Q&A section, would it be OK with you if I answer it for my readers to see too? My blog is new and I cover hair among other topics.

I don't have much time now but in brief words, your son is in the feared awkward phase so any hairstyles he uses are not going to look very good regardless. I would be proactive and take care of the curls with good grooming and protection so that the curls are looking good by the time they achieve enough length. I recommend to stay determined and NOT cut hair whatsoever. My awkward phase lasted a year (my hair is very coily and thick) and it has been very recently that I pulled out of it.

Thanks so much & I would LOVE it if you would answer this question in a topic in your blog. I look forward to it!

starshade
November 13th, 2011, 08:24 PM
:thud: those are awesome curls... and I've always thought long curls on men (and women) was really hot!
will be waiting to see (in a totally non-stalkerish way :D ) how that looks as it grows longer.

bouclée
November 14th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Hey, beautiful curls indeed!

"Will take it into account for further pics as I plan to do an experiment where I go 30 days with only water and will be taking pics."

I hope you won't loose your curls with WO. Unfortunately, it happened to some of us :( (Fortunately, I stopped WO early enough and got them back after a few light shampoo).

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progresses :)

Nera
November 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
ohhhhhhh!

i am one for the short messages.

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thank you all for the further compliments!

Well, as you know by now, there are more of my hair pics on my blog documenting the natural hair experiment.

Let's see how it pans out :)

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks so much & I would LOVE it if you would answer this question in a topic in your blog. I look forward to it!

Great stuff. I will be answering further when I have the time and will let you know via PM or through here, as you prefer.

However, let me know if my previous reply was useful enough for your son or if you would like me to elaborate a bit more on it. I can understand the frustration of the awkward phase so if I can help with anything, I'll gladly do so.

All the best.

Silverdragn7385
November 14th, 2011, 11:04 AM
It seems my SO *pokes mistofvongola* hasn't been on in a while...he has some awesome curls. :P

Example: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7255&pictureid=96128

DarthCynthia
November 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I sent your blog's link to my husband and he's checked it out. I think it's great for him to see other men with curly long hair and read tips -- his hair type is completely different from mine and he sometimes gets frustrated with it (it's still in an awkward length). He mentioned he read something about a wide-toothed comb on your site, and I gave him one of my old ones.

Best wishes!

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I sent your blog's link to my husband and he's checked it out. I think it's great for him to see other men with curly long hair and read tips -- his hair type is completely different from mine and he sometimes gets frustrated with it (it's still in an awkward length). He mentioned he read something about a wide-toothed comb on your site, and I gave him one of my old ones.

Best wishes!

Good stuff! Please tell him from me to feel free to contact if he has any questions.

The wide tooth comb is one of the only things a curly dude should be owning, it was nice of you to have given him one of yours, now just make sure he uses it!

Best wishes to you too.

Long_Curls
November 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
It seems my SO *pokes mistofvongola* hasn't been on in a while...he has some awesome curls. :P

Example: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7255&pictureid=96128

I seem to have limited access as it says I cannot access it. Is there like a minimum post count to see others' profiles?

Silverdragn7385
November 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I seem to have limited access as it says I cannot access it. Is there like a minimum post count to see others' profiles?

Hm, I thought it was 25, but I see you have 30, so not sure what's up. That's just a photo of him in my album, though.

Peter
November 15th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hopefully some other guys with curly (or wavy) hair can post their hair pic too! Peter and Pierre, get a pic going!If you insist!

My hair's straightened out a bit since it was shorter, but anyway:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9115&pictureid=118948

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM
If you insist!

There are so many things about this picture to love:
1) The hair, duh.
2) Awesome pink camera.
3) Periodic Table T-Shirt
4) Best face-block smiley ever.
5) The hair.

Long_Curls
November 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM
If you insist!

I can't still see your pic buddy.

Long_Curls
December 8th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Maelyssa,

Hi Maelyssa,

As promised, I would like to answer the question you asked about your son growing his curls in the blog Manly Curls (Ask Rogelio section).

Unfortunately, I cannot send PMs at the moment (nor can I even see public profiles for some reason despite my post count) so I would like to ask you if it'd be possible to send me an email to

manlycurls@gmail.com

Normally I ask people to give their first name and regional location when I answer their questions at Manly Curls. I can also quote your question as asked here in the thread or you can reformulate the question as it suits you.

So please, get in contact with me through that email. If anyone who knows her sees this post before her, could you please PM her about my post?

Thanks!

mistofvongola
January 14th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I suppose I'm a little late to this thread, but we basically have the same hair. :)

http://i.imgur.com/RxKWa.jpg