PDA

View Full Version : Ummm... foolish cone question?

Amiblue
November 10th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Well, I am trying to figure out what is cones in conditioners and shampoos. I thought I was using a conditioner for my co washes that didn't have cones, but I may be wrong. What are the cones? I googled it but didn't get very good results. Thanks.

aisha.christine
November 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Chemicals that end in the suffix "cone."

ETA: I believe "conol" is included in this as well. Hope that helps

amberpotamus
November 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
It's short for silicones--maybe you'd get better results googling silicone and conditioner? (Googling just silicone will give you a bunch of stuff neither conditioner nor hair related.)

mora
November 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I learned a lot reading the To Cone or Not to Cone (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13) article but not well enough to attempt to summarize it. :shrug:

ETA: I think luxepiggy has a post somewhere also summarizing her experiences with 'cones and which are good or not so good for her but I can't remember where to start looking for it.

ETA2: another article (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones)

Amiblue
November 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks and sorry. I walked away from the computer for awhile and just returned.

Shoot, that means I am using stuff with silicone in it if aisha.christine is completely right on. I was hoping I had found a good one that wasn't full of the stuff. Even my oil has some in it!

Amber_Maiden
November 11th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks and sorry. I walked away from the computer for awhile and just returned.

Shoot, that means I am using stuff with silicone in it if aisha.christine is completely right on. I was hoping I had found a good one that wasn't full of the stuff. Even my oil has some in it!

It's tricky to find one without. Try organic lines, I had luck with those.

coffinhert
November 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Nature's Gate conditioners are cone-free, come in quite a few scents/varieties, and aren't too expensive. I have a couple full bottles of coney stuff I don't use anymore... not sure what to do with it :P

Amiblue
November 11th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks and truly appreciate all the help. I would be a complete lost cause if it wasn't for you all.

By the way, Hubby is giving me complements completely out of the blue now on my hair!

Mairéad
November 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Cones are ingredients that end in -cone, -conal, and -xane. Surprisingly inexpensive drugstore conditioners tend to be cone free and are great for CO-washing. Many swear by Suave and Vo5 as their washing conditioner but I need something a little heavier and like to CO with Tresseme Natures Aloe and Avocado or even with Garnier Nutrise Triple Nutrition or Yes to Carrots. Many would consider those heavier and therefore more useful to put on just the ends but they give me a rich thick foam when I CO and I just slap some more on the ends like a traditional conditioner, too.

Amiblue
November 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Mairéad: Thanks. I wonder though if I would do better with the heavier conditioner. I don't want to weight down my curls, but my hair gets super dry and likes to poof and fly into afro territory if it isn't well moisturized; and even then sometimes.....

Also, since I have unknowingly been CO with cones, should I use a cleanse like ACV (never used before) or anything before starting with something natural without cones?

Mairéad
November 12th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Use a clarifying shampoo. Suave makes one and can probably find it for around a buck. Even without cones many who CO like to use a clarifying shampoo once in awhile. How frequently depends on the user and I tend to do anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks before my hair feels like it needs clarified. That's something you'll have to gain a grasp on as all hair and scalp has its personal needs.

So, I would clarify, then start CO with a cone free. Start with a light one for the wash and leave a heavy on the ends. If that doesn't do it, up the ante. Also, I always ACV rinse after I CO. ACV can't clarify but it can add shine, boost moisture retention, and for many it defines curl. Just a generous spoon full in a big cup of water and dump it over your hair.