PDA

View Full Version : SMTing and what to try next

darklyndsea
November 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
The story so far: my hair has always been a wurly, tangly frizzball. Switching my conditioner with L'Oreal Eversleek and my brush with a Tangle Teaser made it easier to brush out the tangles, at least, and SMTing (without honey) makes my hair really soft and easy to TT. The frizz remains.

Questions:
1. Is it normal for hair to dry faster after SMTing (3-4 hours) than after a normal shower (5 hours)?
2. After my hair has dried from SMTing and before I put it in a braid, the upper layer (is there a term for this? The hair that lies furthest from my shirt when my hair's down, that grows mostly from the top of my head) feels dry/rough. It feels like the rest of my hair the next day. This hair is a little bit finer than the rest of my hair, although it's still firmly in the medium range, and presumably takes more sun/wind damage. Is this...a bad sign, I guess? I can't really SMT only part of my hair, and anyway, most of the frizz comes from that part of my hair.
3. Suggestions for what to try next?

spidermom
November 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
The upper layer of hair is called the canopy. It gets weathered more than your other hairs (of course). When I use conditioner, I like to bend forward so that my hair falls toward the floor. That way I can get more conditioner on my canopy without getting it on my scalp. When I get conditioner on my scalp, it needs to be washed much sooner, so I avoid it.

I make special effort to massage coconut oil into my canopy when I do my pre-wash oiling. I've also used a very tiny scrape to oil my clean, damp canopy, which gives a good result as far as smoothing out the frizz is concerned, but I decided I didn't like the fact that oil attracts pet hair, bird fluff, dust, and lint into my hair.

Rubbing a bit of styling gel or aloe vera get between my WET (very important) palms and then down the surface of my hair also helps to tame the frizz.

darklyndsea
November 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Does putting gel on your hair and not washing it out make your hair crunchy? I think that there was a warning about letting it dry on your hair in the SMT instructions. And I'd never done anything with my hair other than shampoo and conditioner before joining the LHC, so I don't know anything from experience.