PDA

View Full Version : LHC needs a secret handshake or something...

Cainwen
November 10th, 2011, 02:20 PM
When I was out doing errands today, at one of the stores the girl who rang me up had beautiful, probably classic length hair (it was in a pony tail and kept moving, so it was hard to gauge). I commented how lovely her hair was, and we commiserated on the fear of going to get it cut.

As I finished my purchase, I really wanted to ask if she was on LHC, since I know there are a few in my area, but of course didn't have the guts.

I know my experience is far from unique around here, and on my way home I thought, "Wouldn't it be nice if LHC people had a secret handshake or codeword or something so we could recognize each other in real life?" or a thread that's the inverse of the Craig's List "missed encounters", kinda 'Accidental Encounters, are you on here?"

Anybody else ever feel like this would be nice to have?

uptosomeone
November 10th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I was just thinking this the other day when I was in In N Out burger and saw a lady with hip length wavy silver and brown hair. I wanted to ask her if she was on LHC, but like you didn't have the guts!

Nightshade
November 10th, 2011, 02:26 PM
It's worth asking. I ran into a woman in my town with calf-length hair, and though she's not a member here, she does lurk :)

MasCat
November 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I have an idea: why don't we wear long hair! (ok, that was.. stupid...)

A little badge with <3 LHC and they'll all think we're into physics!

moon2dove
November 10th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Oh, yes. I've seen long haired ladies with beautiful hair and wondered if they are here.

I've also seen long/short haired ladies that SHOULD be here :) I was one of them!!! :) :)

Intransigentia
November 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
There is a longhair sightings thread somewhere around.

teal
November 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Ooh, a missed-connections forum would be great! I think with the varied locations having that sort of thing in one thread would get pretty unwieldy and unreadable fairly fast.

Annibelle
November 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I just thought this the other day! Maybe some sort of special eye movement... not a wink, since that could be misconstrued, but maybe a weird face that COULD just be considered a spasm. :D Heck, I dunno, but we should figure something out! ;) I've been seeing a lot of hair between WL and HL lately IRL.

Amber_Maiden
November 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Same here. This summer there was a girl with hip hair in my class, and I wanted to ask her... But was worried it would sound weird...

Yozhik
November 10th, 2011, 04:19 PM
There's a thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=5299)kind of like "missed connections" where people post about other longhairs they see. :)

If I'm not mistaken, a while ago I heard about people making LHC "business cards." I guess the idea is you keep a few in your wallet and can hand them out to people who you think might want to join -- the cards have LHC's url on them. :)

Sometimes I also wonder if longhairs around me are part of LHC, but I always chicken out when it comes around to asking them. :o

Rhodugune
November 10th, 2011, 04:22 PM
It's a great idea, much needed!

julliams
November 10th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I'm on LHC
Ask me how

Modarunner
November 10th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I think we could use a code like, "Are you a friend of rapunzel"? Or something like that so if they aren't you can just play it off like it was nothing.

Kleis
November 10th, 2011, 05:09 PM
The LHC secret handshake: while maintaining strict eye contact, make a half turn to present yourself in profile, and pat your behind (to --obviously-- allude to Classic length).

Let me know how it works out. :twisted:

redmj
November 10th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I agree, that would be great. I have often wanted to ask someone if they were a LHCer. I can see it now.....
Two women pass on the street. As they pass, the first says "Where does the moon shine." The second replies "behind the satin curtain." Ha ha did I mention they both had classic length.

Automne
November 10th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Good idea!! When I went to the USA few months ago, I saw several ladies with past TBL and I thought they might belong to the LHC!

Amarante
November 10th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I agree, that would be great. I have often wanted to ask someone if they were a LHCer. I can see it now.....
Two women pass on the street. As they pass, the first says "Where does the moon shine." The second replies "behind the satin curtain." Ha ha did I mention they both had classic length.

LOL I vote for this one...

Anje
November 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM
I believe the proper handshake is to say hello, then turn your back and put your hands on your hipbones in the classic "look at my hair length" pose.

There's been talk of people making hairsticks that say LHC on them or some such thing. Though in reality, if you see hairsticks or ficcares or hairforks in the wild, your odds of the person being aware of LHC are probably relatively good.

Quetiepi
November 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Carol Burnett used to tug on her ear lobe. That could be the sign. What do you think?

bna_rapunzel
November 10th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Carol Burnett used to tug on her ear lobe. That could be the sign. What do you think?

I vote for this idea. I've told someone about it once, and they went on it and said it was "interesting with the weird hair methods".
I asked someone once if they were and they looked at me like I was crazy.
5his guy came into my work once with a classic length healthy braid, but didn't have the guts to ask if he belonged to the lhc lol!
It is definitely needed! :)

Lostsoule77
November 10th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I've often wondered if long hairs I see are on here, but I've never had the guts to ask. Some sort of secret code would be great.

owlathena
November 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yes! Or we could just work on not being so shy...

GlassWidow
November 10th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days, too. I met a really nice woman this weekend who was telling me that her hair (which was up in a cute bun) is 36 inches, which made me think she must be on LHC, because I think most people would say "waist length" or whatever 36 inches is on them.

So, if you're here, hello (and I love my new shoes!) :lol:

tinywife
November 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I second the idea of a tug on the earlobe being our signal. I don't think I'd be brave enough for anything more elaborate.

bna_rapunzel
November 11th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I second the idea of a tug on the earlobe being our signal. I don't think I'd be brave enough for anything more elaborate.

I ran into a woman with a cinnabun piled on top of her head, and I could see it was wrapped a ton of times so I kinda tried to use an "lhc phrase" and asked if she was a long hair. No spark lit up in her eyes so the conversation was very brief. I hinted at the lhc a couple times (phrases and methods only we would use) and still nothing. I'm excited to see my next longhair, I just hope its not a non-lhc-er that has an itchy earlobe when I see "the signal" lol! :D

sibiryachka
November 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Not long after I first joined LHC, there was a thread contained the suggestion that a tug on one's own braid could work for this. Not a bad idea, but then I saw someone in the store whom I totally wanted to signal.... and I was wearing an updo that day. :( So I like this earlobe concept.

I think we could use a code like, "Are you a friend of rapunzel"? Or something like that so if they aren't you can just play it off like it was nothing. :spitting: :applause

PinkyCat
November 11th, 2011, 11:16 AM

This is ADORABLE!

piffyanne
December 1st, 2011, 01:25 AM

I'd like to put in a vote for this one, too. I could easily see myself asking that one! :) If they aren't an LHC'er, we could just pass it off as a random bit of a poem we like quoting in conversation.

On the other hand, the second person to approach the questionee may have some 'splainin' to do. ;)

Dragon
December 1st, 2011, 01:48 AM
What about writing LHC on the back of your hand in red or black ink so it stands out. I’ve also wondered sometimes if someone is on here.

Vanille_
December 1st, 2011, 03:59 AM
You can make those support band bracelets so unique, I bet someone could come up with a style and sell them here. They are really cheap.

WaitingSoLong
December 1st, 2011, 05:49 AM
There was another thread about this once and many ideas were proffered. I know buttons were mentioned (ya know, like campaign buttons) or safety pins clipped to purses with certain colors on them, things like that. But...

I am super unobservant and would probably never see such things, especially bracelets if they were wearing long sleeves. I like the ear tug, but you would have to make eye contact first, and looking straight at someone then tugging your ear would look....odd. LOL.

You could make the L sign on your forehead, but we all know that usually stands for LOSER and they would think you were calling them a loser. I like the moonshine phrase, but what is you were across the street/store from them? They wouldn't hear it.

I am still for the button, it is just the easist and most obvious. This time of year I could keep it permanently attached to my coat. However, maybe the ear tug would work if you glanced away after the eye contact was made, as not to be TOO creepy.

I have mentioned TLHC to a couple people and get met with bewildered looks, like...why on earth would you have a hair forum? My IRL peeps dn't get it either (well, DH does) and so I just don't mention it anymore. It comes off as a crazy obsession. They just may be right.

Violettwin
December 1st, 2011, 06:11 AM
I like the idea of a badge that says LHC on it :)
I love how we're all nervous nellies about asking people, there should be some scientific research on the connection between long hair & shyness lol x

spike316
December 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM
Why not a specific hair compliment? Like "I love your rapunzel hair" and then the complimentee could say something more lhc-ish? I'm a member of a t-shirt website (shirt.woot.com! it's awesome. ^_^) and when you run into someone wearing a shirt from there you're supposed to tell them "Boss shirt, boss" and then they're supposed to say "I know!" Then you can go on to talk about your favorite shirts and stuff. =D

Avital88
December 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
Why not a specific hair compliment? Like "I love your rapunzel hair" and then the complimentee could say something more lhc-ish? I'm a member of a t-shirt website (shirt.woot.com! it's awesome. ^_^) and when you run into someone wearing a shirt from there you're supposed to tell them "Boss shirt, boss" and then they're supposed to say "I know!" Then you can go on to talk about your favorite shirts and stuff. =D

i like this!! we can say something similar but then with hair :) i also think the ear will work!
although i doubt there are many lhcers around where i live, although i found one who is really close to me,so you never know

vanity_acefake
December 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
It should be an unusual phrase using LHC.

Dogmatix
December 1st, 2011, 04:59 PM
I was in the bagel shop yesterday and saw someone in line ahead of me with an aluminum hair fork. I asked her where she got it and we struck up a little conversation. Then she asked me if I was on LHC. Small world!

By the way WaitingSoLong, I love that hairdo in your profile pic. That is adorable.

Amber_Maiden
December 1st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Maybe whatever the catch phrase is could all start with the letters L, H, and C? :)

Like, for example- just off the top of my head, and not accurate for the subject- Love/Hate Cats.

EdG
December 1st, 2011, 06:11 PM
"Are you a LHC member?"

"Cheese!" :cheese:
Ed

CrunchyMama
December 1st, 2011, 06:22 PM
I vote for the Rapunzel compliment! "Love your Rapunzel-like hair!" And to make it uber-current with a fun Disney reference, the answer could be something like, "I hate when it gets Tangled!"

slz
December 1st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Maybe whatever the catch phrase is could all start with the letters L, H, and C? :)

Like, for example- just off the top of my head, and not accurate for the subject- Love/Hate Cats.
Good idea but then it'd only work in english - and then what about us from other language speaking countries ? Or maybe just improvisation on the L / H / C words basis ? But then, easy to overlook maybe ... La Hija Caliente ! Le Hamster Chevelu .... howzat for sounding like a weirdo :D

chelshireling
December 1st, 2011, 06:51 PM
i think the rapunzel compliments the best idea:)

GlassWidow
December 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM
LHC: "Like Hard Cheese?"

or.... "Like Hairy Cheese?"

Sunshineliz
December 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM
I vote for the Rapunzel compliment! "Love your Rapunzel-like hair!" And to make it uber-current with a fun Disney reference, the answer could be something like, "I hate when it gets Tangled!"

I LOVE this one.:)

Fairytale
December 1st, 2011, 07:14 PM
This reminds me a little about Legally Blond the movie when Elle goes into the hair salon and asks the judge a secret sorority question that only the sorority knew the secret answer.:p

This is kind of like a sorority thing we can do , just like the definition and origin meaning a body of women united for some purpose.:cheese:

Wonderful idea !

CrunchyMama
December 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
I LOVE this one.:)
Thanks Sunshineliz!!

spike316
December 1st, 2011, 08:00 PM

I vote for this!! :cheese:

CrunchyMama
December 1st, 2011, 08:42 PM
I vote for this!! :cheese:
Thanks Spike316! Maybe we should start a poll? ;)

piffyanne
December 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM

Love it!! I'm such a Tangled fan, you have NO idea. Plus, "Rapunzel" is be best compliment I can imagine. :) If they aren't LHC'ers, they'll be happy anyway!

PrincessBob
December 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM
I think I'm going to combine methods. Tug my ear at them, with my other hand at bum length in profile and ask "Where does the moon shine?"

Seeshami
December 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
We should all get matching tattoos. :cheese:

BritishBraider
December 2nd, 2011, 02:02 AM
HAah, this is brilliant! I like the rapunzel idea :D

WaitingSoLong
December 2nd, 2011, 05:45 AM
"Are you a LHC member?"

"Cheese!" :cheese:
Ed

LHC really needs a LIKE button! Way to keep it simple, Ed!

This reminds me a little about Legally Blond the movie when Elle goes into the hair salon and asks the judge a secret sorority question that only the sorority knew the secret answer.:p

This is kind of like a sorority thing we can do , just like the definition and origin meaning a body of women united for some purpose.:cheese:

Wonderful idea !

Only we are not all women here ;)

Love it!! I'm such a Tangled fan, you have NO idea. Plus, "Rapunzel" is be best compliment I can imagine. :) If they aren't LHC'ers, they'll be happy anyway!

I would never remember the call phrase or response. I can't remember it now.

furnival
December 2nd, 2011, 09:33 AM
I think I'm going to combine methods. Tug my ear at them, with my other hand at bum length in profile and ask "Where does the moon shine?"

:spitting:
I'm with you on this one, ha ha!
Though I'd be tempted to shout CHEEEEEEEESE! as well, when they looked at me blankly... :cheese::eyebrows:

jacqueline101
December 2nd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Maybe we need reunion t shirts and a hand shake that way we can tell our fellow members from out siders.

Celtic Morla
December 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
Why not a hand sign? Form th right hand into the ASL B sign then cruve the fingers like a comb, bring it up to your temple and move it down twice as if combing your hair.

SwordWomanRiona
December 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
I have an idea: why don't we wear long hair! (ok, that was.. stupid...)

A little badge with <3 LHC and they'll all think we're into physics!

That would be convenient for me, seeing as I am into Physics :p!
Last year, when studying Electrodynamics, the teacher mentioned the Large Hadron Collider (LHC!) and I wrote it down, stared at it for a moment and exclaimed (inwardly): Why, the Long Hair Community!!! :D

Maraz
December 2nd, 2011, 03:23 PM
If we're looking for a visual indication, it should be in the hair itself if possible, since obviously we're looking at the hair and taking it as a sign that someone might be a member. Maybe a ribbon/scrunchie/other hairtoy color combo would work?

teal
December 2nd, 2011, 04:18 PM
I'd wear a pin. A bracelet I'd probably forget about or have under a jacket.

I think one of the best advertisements, so to speak, would be an LHC hair toy. Then there would be no mistake!!

EdG
December 3rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
LHC really needs a LIKE button! Way to keep it simple, Ed!Thanks, WaitingSoLong! I think "cheese" would make a great secret handshake. If someone replies "yes" or "no", there is no way to know if they are telling the truth. If someone says "cheese", they must be a LHC member. :lol:

This reminds me a little about Legally Blond the movie when Elle goes into the hair salon and asks the judge a secret sorority question that only the sorority knew the secret answer.:pinktongue:

Wonderful idea !I think LHC'ers are more like co-eds. :eyebrows:
Ed

Keller1128
December 3rd, 2011, 12:42 PM
I almost asked someone once, "Are you on LHC?" Then I realized that it would probably sound like I was asking if they did drugs.

WaitingSoLong
December 3rd, 2011, 06:51 PM
I almost asked someone once, "Are you on LHC?" Then I realized that it would probably sound like I was asking if they did drugs.

ROFL!!!! I love this!

The couple times I have asked, I say "Have you ever heard of the Long Hair Community online?"