PDA

View Full Version : To scrub your scalp?

Chamy
November 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Hi ladies (and gentlemen too)!
Have you ever tried scrubbing your scalp with a facialscrub? Say that you found a scrub with ingredients that agrees with your routine, would you use it to give yourself a peeling on the scalp?

I came to think of this yesterday, i have realized that my scalp is so dry lately that it flakes. I also get itches on the scalp, that i have successfully treated with monistat for a while. Now my scalp is doing better, but i think i need a good peeling to get rid of the flakes once and for all.
What do you think? Do you have any tips or suggestions for me about this? Im kind of lost here since i never have come upon this problem before.

Amber_Maiden
November 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM
No, I wouldn't use facial scrub on it... I'd use dandruff shampoo, or take more zinc.

jacqueline101
November 10th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I used a facial scrub on my scalp. It seemed to loosen the danderuff. I don't know how good its for the hair.

XcaliburGirl
November 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
I've heard you can put some salt or sugar in conditioner to make a scalp scrub. I tried it once, but I don't remember if I used salt or sugar.

W2
November 10th, 2011, 11:58 AM
My facial scrub is just canesugar and sweet almond oil - so I guess you could use it for both though I never tried it

Amiblue
November 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I used facial scrub on my hubby the other night. Worked great! But, I shaved his head completely first. :tongue: Sooo.... I don't know how hard it would be to get out of your hair... Made it super easy to apply monastat! :D:D:D

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 01:57 PM
When I was last having whole head flakies (as opposed to the hairline flakes I have now) I used an ACV rinse followed by chamomile tea. It got rid of them after 3-5 washes.

spidermom
November 10th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I've heard of people doing a sugar scrub to the scalp, but I really don't think it's a particularly good idea to subject your hair to anything rough. You might roughen up the cuticle and cause damage to the hair.

Maybe wait until your scalp area is nice and oily - add oil if you need to - then give your scalp a thorough combing with the blunt teeth of your favorite comb.

MungoMania
November 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
A scrub designed for the face might be too drying for the scalp and make the situation worse. Have you tried scalp massage to stimulate oil production? It might help get of excess flakiness.

gatodelasenora
November 10th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Chamy:
I had your problem before. It might be a diet thing (none of the dandruff shampoos were working for me!)
My doctor tested my blood and said my vitamin B-12 was way low. So I took vitamin B-12 (5oo mcg) once a day and also a BIOTIN (another B vitamin for hair/skin/nails) only pill along with my regular multi vitamin. I also got a shampoo "brush" from the hair store. It looks like a round pad with plastic bumps or short bristles on it with a ring. You put it on yoru finger so it's in the palm of your hand and massage and brush/scub (gently) your scalp with it. I woul dshampoo first, rinse, use lots of conditioner and do the shampoo brush when I had the conditioner in my hair. I clip it up and let the conditioner sit on top of my head until I'm done everything else in the shower, and rinse my hair last. Also, try giving up sugar and anything with flour/wheat in it. You could be developing an alergy and not know it.
Hope this helps...
P.S. mine was so bad the flakes were coming off in huge pieces of skin like when you peel after a sunburn. I'm "cured" now with the modified diet/vitamin thing.
Also I switched to all natural shampoos and conditioners. :)

Jenn of Pence
November 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I have heard of people doing sugar scrubs on the scalp with success, though I have not tried it personally. Since it's water soluble, it's easier to get out than, say, something you might find in a facial scrub (though sugar does make a nice one :)).

I also feel like I'm not cleaning my scalp enough due to my thick hair. Something like a shampoo brush sounds interesting to me (I've also considered trying a Tangle Teezer or something like that). I'll look into it.

Teazel
November 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM
A sugar/oil scrub is pretty effective, if you want to really scour your scalp clean. I find brown sugar is best - the soft stuff that packs down. Ordinary white sugar is too abrasive. It's better to mix the sugar with oil rather than shampoo or conditioner, in my experience, because it doesn't dissolve in oil.

coffinhert
November 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Someone suggested in the dermatitis thread putting coconut oil on your scalp over night, then COing it out, loosens all the flakes without scrubbing them, then they just wash away. It might be gentler.

seaj
November 10th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I've used T/Sal twice because my dermatologist gave me a sample and the active ingrediant in it is salicylic acid, which is also used in many facial scrubs. So far, it has helped me very much. Not as itchy anymore and not as flaky as much either. I'm not sure if it's good for my hair hair though, so I'll have to look into that.

HumanBean
November 11th, 2011, 01:01 AM
I just did a sugar scrub last Friday night to get rid of dandruff and it worked beautifully, haven't had to wash my hair all week! I mixed brown sugar, honey, and ACV. Then I conditioned and did an ACV rinse last.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 11th, 2011, 04:40 AM
I'd oil up with your fav hair oil, and gently "scritch" with a hair friendly comb... Works for people who successfully go WO (and don't have any chemicals to "clean" the scalp....)