PDA

View Full Version : What type of haircut is this?

uptosomeone
November 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I need a keyword to search that will give me more examples than I found (which is, through the hundreds upon hundreds of hairstyles I've searched, one).

http://lifesvisualjournal.com/2011/06/22/changes

I'm looking for something a little more polished, more extreme. Basically just asymmetrical shapes cut into the back of hair. No matter what I google it keeps coming up with hair that's either not asymmetrical at all or asymmetrical fronts. Any help? A picture, keyword, site, anything would be helpful! I'm not necessarily getting it, but I can't decide whether I want it or not until I see some more pictures.

I've searched asymmetrical cuts, alternative cuts, asymmetrical back hair, etc.

turtlelover
November 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
That is not even close to a mainstream cut, so I'm not sure what to tell you.

uptosomeone
November 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I've realized that from over an hour searching! :p What with all of the crazy undercuts, asymmetrical bangs, multicolored dye jobs, etc. I thought it would be more common, but it's not. I'm not sure why. :shrug:

jesis
November 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Kimberly Caldwell had a similar haircut except it was for shorter hair. I think it would look really great on you!

heartgoesboom
November 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM
oh i remember a girl who had that haircut... i found her online. but she had fairly long hair so the shortest part was above the waist and the longest below the waist. she had straight and silky black hair, so it worked for her.

Amber_Maiden
November 10th, 2011, 11:52 AM
I think its basically just an angled cut. Modern cut.

lapushka
November 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry, but I'd call that... awful. Something angled to the side like that just looks odd, not deliberate, like a slip of the shears.

moon2dove
November 10th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Oh, dear! that is some AWFUL chop - yes chop! I wouldn't call it a haircut!

Sorry, just my opinion. :)

uptosomeone
November 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Oh, don't worry, I don't want that! The lady in the picture does have an awful haircut/chop/whatever it would be called. If I ended up getting an angled cut (that's a good term for it...) it would be after I'd grown out my layers to BSL at least, preferable waist. That's a good long time to think about whether or not I even want to think about chopping my hair at any sort of asymmetrical angle!

AndreaPetrea
November 10th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry, but I'd call that... awful. Something angled to the side like that just looks odd, not deliberate, like a slip of the shears.

I'm afraid I agree :( But I remember seeing something like this - well, similar idea - once. The length difference was not very big, maybe chin length on the left side and shoulder length on the right, and it was cut very well and even. It was beautiful!

Sorry, not very helpful.

Lapin
Eh, to each their own :o

I think it looks really neat from the front! The back... I think I personally would want some layers or something so it doesn't look so severe.

When I was a shortie, I kept one side in a pixie and the other side in a longer layered look - it was very 80s, although I did this in the late 90s. I was young, it looked good, and I was happy with it. I am glad I got my fill of short styles when I was younger though.

I think any stylist worth their shears would be able to understand what you want and work with you to get it!

XcaliburGirl
That's kind of cool. I don't know if I'd be brave enough to wear my hair like that, but plenty of people have sharp angles back to front, why not side to side?

I don't know what you would call it besides "asymmetrical".

LocustSpawning
November 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I had that when I was in high school. I literally couldn't decide if I wanted long hair or short hair, so I just asked for one side short, going diagonally across the back and the other side long. Everyone at school thought it looked idiotic but I liked it :p

spidermom
November 10th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I'm not a fan either. Your hair looks so delicate and fine that I don't think it would support many different lengths/layers.

UltraBella
November 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
That haircut is awful. I do realize that's not what you are going for, but I still had to add that it's awful ! Forgive me.
If you do a yahoo image search for "alternative hair" you will get lots of interesting photos.

uptosomeone
November 10th, 2011, 02:29 PM
I'm not a fan either. Your hair looks so delicate and fine that I don't think it would support many different lengths/layers.

Depending on how it was cut and how much thickness I gain from treating it right (it should be solidly an ii when I grow out my bangs+layers) an asymmetrical cut wouldn't be too bad, especially if it was very sharp, blunt and obvious.

That haircut is awful. I do realize that's not what you are going for, but I still had to add that it's awful ! Forgive me.
If you do a yahoo image search for "alternative hair" you will get lots of interesting photos.

Hah, you're not alone there! It really is not a good haircut at all, just the only thing vaguely resembling what I was looking for. :)

I'll do a yahoo search. Maybe different images will come up than on the google search.

Slinks
November 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM

I so agree spidermom, the OP's hair is very fine ..

Slinks
November 10th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Depending on how it was cut and how much thickness I gain from treating it right (it should be solidly an ii when I grow out my bangs+layers) an asymmetrical cut wouldn't be too bad, especially if it was very sharp, blunt and obvious.

I posted before this popped up ..

PorcelainHorror
November 10th, 2011, 04:13 PM
It's just called an asymmetrical cut :]
If you get it done, make sure you have good communication with the stylist. ;)

julliams
November 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I'm going to be blunt here but that looks like someone changed their mind halfway through, or got an emergency call and had to leave the salon. I would not have a name for it.

owlathena
November 10th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I think its kind of cool, although not a style I would wear myself. Asymmetrical hair cuts always remind me of Edward Scissorhands. (http://salonmonster.com/blog/?p=84)

battles
November 10th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I love asymmetrical cuts, but that one... I don't think I'd get it, myself. :p

holothuroidea
November 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
This idea could be very cool if you find an EXCELLENT stylist, one who understands the vibe you're going for.

That poor woman looks like she had an old Italian barber do it. She doesn't look to pleased by it either, :(

But I get the gist of it and you should go for it. I wouldn't search for pictures though, draw a picture of what you want. If you can't draw find someone who can and have them draw from your description.

Johan
November 10th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I have seen that style on women, short on one side, longer on the other, but with much shorter hair than you have.
I once dated a young woman who shaved her head on one side and wore a chin length bob on the other side. It actually worked for her, she had the features to wear it like that.