PDA

View Full Version : What do others think of your long or soon to be long hair?

Pages : [1] 2

paper
July 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I was wondering what people in your real life think about your long hair, or if your growing your hair long?

I started growing my hair 10 months ago. I've been waiting for the comments that I should cut my hair, or I shouldn't have long hair at my age. So far, I have had only positive comments.

Ohio Sky
July 7th, 2008, 05:40 PM
The only people that have ever said anything about my hair like it.
Im the only person in my family that has ever been able to grow hair past BSL, and my mom and sister have always grudged me for it. :o

yrrebwartsymssi
July 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Everyone who has seen me recently since i shaved my head adore my mane :)

Tangles
July 7th, 2008, 05:54 PM
My mom is really happy that I'm growing my hair long. She's always liked long hair on both me and my sister. The only thing that annoys me is that she insists upon brushing as part of regular grooming, not understanding that it makes our type of hair rather frizzy.

I pointed out a lady with TBL hair the other day and she agreed that it was very beautiful. Maybe I'll surprise her someday when coming home for a visit ;)

On the other hand, she finds it hard to believe that I can actually get my hair to waist and HEALTHY, and she still thinks BSL would be more flattering or else I would be "drowned in hair." Whatever.

Carolyn
July 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I've never told anyone in real life, including family that I intended to grow my hair. Just as I've never announced any hair changes in the past. It just got longer and longer. Very few people have said anything to me about it. I have one older friend who gives me a compliment on it now and then. Since I'm growing it to make me happy, I'm not looking for approval or compliments. No one I see often in my daily life has ever seen me with hair shorter than shoulders and that was a long time ago. I'm not sure if my friends like it but if they don't they are polite enough not to say anything to my face.

Naluin
July 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM
The only person IRL who knows about my interest in growing my hair is the BF. He says that he's reserving judgment on my current goal of waist-length for when I actually get there.

He likes my hair. I think he just doesn't know if he'll like that much of my hair. :D

girlcat36
July 7th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Nobody ever really tells me I need a haircut, I think they all know my hair is messy/frizzy and cannot hold a style. So it might as well be long.

VanillaTresses
July 7th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I think that based on my recent-past track record, they think that I won't be able to do it. I hope that they are wrong. Because they don't think that I will be able to carry through, I don't think that they care very much. But if I show up in 4 years with very long hair, I am sure there will be some insinuations/comments that they think I should change it. I got the same thing when it was very short so I think that most of my friends/family like "mainstream." I.e., not "too long" and not "too short."

Valorie
July 7th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Unfortunately I'm not getting much positive feedback from people I know.

They all like me with shorter hair. It's still short to me, but I just actually wrote it in my blog today. I am getting stranger statements made to me like, " well, it's your hair but you really looked better with it shorter, etc. or I really liked it when it was cut this way or that way.."

Are you growing it? Why are you growing it?

:confused:

I've come too far to stop anytime soon and they are right. It is my hair. :D

jenna
July 7th, 2008, 07:22 PM
they all think it's pretty but i've had long-ish hair since my teens so when it was at tailbone, i'd get the "it's so long now" bit but that's the only thing.

Radulfr
July 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
"I'm not sure what they think, or they don't care."

Growing out for eight years now.
Only had one compliment so far, and the rest don't care, lol

harley mama
July 7th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I have had both positive and negative remarks made about my hair. If they like it, that's great.
If they don't that's great, too. I am not growing it to please other people. All that counts is how
I feel about my long hair! ;)

julya
July 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Aside from here, I think most of my friends and family don't care what I do with my hair.

Indigo Girl
July 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I get mixed comments. Some people say it's nice and shiny and a beautiful length; others say it's too flat and straight to be long and I should definitely get it cut (though nowadays I rarely get the latter comments).

I enjoy my hair, and love the journey of growing it out, and really - that's all that matters. :bluesmile

RavennaNight
July 7th, 2008, 10:34 PM
I got more negative comments when it was the awkward length, which was for me shoulder to APL. Mostly from older female coworkers with short hair. Lately, in the last 2 months or so, nobody has said anything too negative. Its been mostly positive

EvaSimone
July 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
When I was at akward lengths people would hint that I needed a trim but now that I am at waist people don't usually say anything. If they do it's a compliment.

crystal_89
July 7th, 2008, 10:40 PM
Some like it, some don't. My friends are usually ok with the length, they just want to chop lots of layers in it.

Phalaenopsis
July 8th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I have not yet had much comments or anybody that noticed that I'm growing my hair. But I had to cut alot this past year, so next year, maybe people will start to see it.

DecafJane
July 8th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I get positive comments about it, and when people see how it was short, I get comments that they like it better long. :D

Riot Crrl
July 8th, 2008, 01:31 AM
No one really says anything besides DH, and you guys, and nc.com. I get compliments from drunk weirdos but it's usually about the color.

Sceleste
July 8th, 2008, 01:41 AM
I chose I'm not sure what they think, or they don't care.

I never get comments about my hair. My spouse has complimented my hair, and my mom complimented the color but that's about it. I guess it's mostly because Finns are not the kind of people who give compliments (or say anything negative) easily. Plus, I wear my hair up most of the time so no one sees the length. Very few people really notice I don't wear the same bun every day, and ever fewer people would say anything about an updo since it's "just a bun". :rolleyes:

darkwaves
July 8th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I don't know what most people think, or even what my family members think. But I know they're basically supportive of whatever odd thing I need to do.

(But this afternoon, two women at a seminar told me I had their dream hair, and another woman wanted to touch it -- many times -- because she couldn't believe it was so soft it looked. That was nice. Must remember to rinse and wear it loose more!)

Sarahmoon
July 8th, 2008, 06:08 AM
Voted "some like it, some don't." I think there are more people who like it, but the ones who don't probably just don't mention it (which I can appreciate ;))

Faepirate
July 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Some like it, some don't. My friends are usually ok with the length, they just want to chop lots of layers in it.

Same.
I get this a lot: "Hmmm, it'd look nice if you just... "

Which really makes me wonder whether they're thinking my hair just doesn't look nice or suit me as it is. But I really can't be bothered to worry about that. I have enough trouble trying to convince myself my FACE suits me without my hair on top of that. :rolleyes:

One of my work colleagues a while ago said that she thought long hair was really disgusting and that people with long hair are smelly cos they don't wash their hair enough. After that, I didn't tell her how long I planned to grow mine. And certainly didn't tell her that I don't shampoo..... :O

Family members don't comment on the hair at all, even though I've told them I want it reeeeeally properly long. I think they just don't have an opinion on it! Which is fine by me.
My mum on occasion has testily commented that I could cut it (I was just remarking on how long it takes to wash my hair - not complaining!). But since she testily comments about [I]everything, her opinion counts for very little. :p

tiny_teesha
July 8th, 2008, 06:47 AM
My relatives think i need a trim, and i probably do, but i won't go into that.
The immediate family think I'm gross or weird/hippy for my hair washing habbits.
I don't care, it's my hair, and while the comments do hurt sometimes it hasn't made me change my mind yet!

Altocumulus
July 8th, 2008, 07:02 AM
No one says anything to me about the length, except occasionally to comment that it's gotten long. Now that I'm growing out my henna, several people have told me they liked it, but they like my natural color better.

Belisama
July 8th, 2008, 07:22 AM
I will have been growing my hair for three years this August. It recently hit waist, which it hasn't been since I was a little tot, but that hardly counts. My BF tells me I have beautiful hair and that it smells wonderful. He is very happy I have long hair, as when we first started dating, it was around chin length. Then again, he also tells me if I reach my goal of knee length, I am cleaning out the roomba myself. ;)

Siava
July 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Daughter: could care less.

Mother: always thinks my hair is a disaster no matter what, so I ignore her hair opinions.

Mr. Wonderful: is excited for length, but annoyed by longer shedded hairs and clogged drains. *smirk*

Friends: rooting for me.

Co-workers: indifferent (I don't talk to them much on a personal level so hair topics don't come up).

bunnii
July 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
My bf love my hair getting longer (he sulked when I had it cut to around 2 inches long)
His mother cuts my hair, but she always wants to take off more than it needs :rolleyes: although I have converted her to COing after over a year of debate as to whether it does clean or not.
My mum likes my hair long although she hasn't seen it in 6 months and it'll be another 3 months before I get to visit again :(
And other people, I don't know what they think, if they like it then good if not then, um good :lol:

KittyCat
July 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
People encourage me, like my Mother, my Brothers. I have never heard anything negative about my hairgoals. My dbf supports it too and he's so understanding when I get all hair nuts :heartbeat.

janaana
July 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I chose I don't know because I don't think most people know how long my hair is, as I always wear it in a bun or some other style where the length is not noticeable. Once or twice, when I've had to take it down to re-fix the style, even people that have known me for a long time have said they were really surprised at the length

Finoriel
July 8th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Some like it, some don't... :p who cares.

n3m3sis42
July 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Hmmm... I answered "I'm not sure what they think, or they don't care" because most people don't comment on it much.

Then I realized that a couple of people *have* voiced opinions...

My mom has told me once or twice that long hair is "so old-fashioned". Now I mostly wear my hair up around her, and she only comments on my hair toys, which she generally likes.

My husband says my hair is "pretty" when I wear it down. And one of my co-workers commented on how long my hair had gotten, a couple of months ago. From her tone, it seemed like a positive thing.

socks
July 8th, 2008, 05:22 PM
My hair is a bit on the extreme side, so it gets a bit of a reaction when I wear it down. Some people love it, some people hate it, and some people just think I'm out of my mind. The people whose opinions I care about all seem to like my hair or just think I'm crazy, so it's all good with them, but I hate getting lectures from people I don't know very well about what they think I should do with my hair.

cuddledumplin
July 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM
I haven't ever really got a negative response. A couple of people at work have said very nice things about it.

Lady Verity
July 8th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Nobody ever says anything. Oh - on the train at the weekend, my friend reached over and tousled my hair because "it's too straight". :) Does that count?

HairyCarrie
July 8th, 2008, 06:11 PM
My DH and DD don't think I can let my hair grow long. I just started and DH has a bet I cut in August...DD says this time next year. But they're nice about it until I start talking in all the acronyms I've learned from this forum. That drives them nuts. Like today I told DD I did an SMT and she said "Oh mom, just stop it". :-)

Ndnlady
July 8th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Since I live in the bay area there are a lot of people with long hair here especially with the different cultures and such, so while some people are admirable of long hair, a lot of people don't really notice.

Nizhoni
July 9th, 2008, 08:12 AM
I often get compliments on how healthy my hair look and feel, how thick it is and how long it is, but each time I wonder if they are blind. :confused: Thats not how I see and feel my hair, it is thin, unruly and has never been much longer than BSL!

BrianaFineHair
July 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
My DD and DS like the idea of my hair growing out long. My DH does not mind either way - short or long. He says, "If you're happy with your hair, so am I."

Only one friend has mentioned, "Oh, the Briana I know has short hair!" Whatever... Other friends/aquaintances have not mentioned anything at all.

I'm growing my hair long for myself anyway. :)

flapjack
July 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM
By my family's standards my hair isn't long at all. I've had hair near my waist with extremes at bsl and knee for my entire life, so it's not out of the norm. Plus, everyone else in my family, male and female, has hair at about apl or below. It absolutely goes unnoticed except for the times my mom has said "you need to brush your hair" or "YOU BETTER BRAID THAT BEFORE YOU GET IN THE POOL!".

My friends all think it's cool and that I'm nuts but they say it looks good. They jokingly tease me about hair care in general, sometimes, because they know I put "weird food crap" in my hair.

My boyfriend's reaction- see above comment about friends.

Strangers can be pretty hilarious. Sometimes I get creepy comments from men, catty comments from women, compliments and 3000 questions from other women, etc.

chrissy-b
July 10th, 2008, 01:09 AM
No one knows I'm growing it out again. I've just been keeping it up and plan on doing that until it's at least BSL. I kind of want to see the surprised look on their faces because when my hair is up no one can really tell how long it is already.

Angellen
July 11th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Since I hit waist I've been wearing it up more, so when I take it down I tend to get several wows. A couple of my friends are growing, too, so they admire my hair and my impressive leap from BSL to waist. My favorite was when a friend told me I had 'perfect' hair. I'm not sure how supportive/enthusiastic they'll be at classic and beyond, though.

Oh, last week one of my close friends and co-workers asked me to "please cut your hair."
As if I was going to turn and respond "Okay, will you hand me those scissors?" :roll:

AerisDawn
July 12th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Oh, last week one of my close friends and co-workers asked me to "please cut your hair."
As if I was going to turn and respond "Okay, will you hand me those scissors?" :roll:

Why would someone tell you to cut your hair? My friends used to tell me that all the time way back when I had waist length hair. I swear I think it's out of jealousy.

rubyann
July 12th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Some like it/some don't. My mom in particular doesn't like it. Oh well, can't please all of the people all of the time:shrug: This is my time to please me:)

herbgurl82
July 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM
My parents, and two sisters think I am nuts for having long hair. (my 12 year old brother doesn;t care...) My 15 year old sister argues with me at least once a week about my hair, and how it is awful for me to have waist length hair. (I have no idea why it matters so much to her. Maybe it is a teenager thing?) She keeps trying to pay me to cut it off to my shoulders, and tells me I look gross. My 22 year old sister (who has permed hair) and my mother, think that I spend too much money on hair products and that I am obsessive about it. My father doesn't seem to care much...unless I spend too much time in the shower, then he gets angry. (We have a bad septic system so we have to limit the amount of water run at a time.) It's funny though, when my 22 year old sister and I were younger, he insisted that we have long hair, and refused to let us cut it because he thought that it was too pretty to wear short. He was very upset when I cut it to a bob and got red highlights when I was in the 6th grade. (My sister cut hers at that time as well.) Now that we are older, she keeps cutting hers shorter, and I keep growing mine longer.

Marcipangris
July 12th, 2008, 10:17 PM
My parents were pretty unenthused about it (probably because I'm growing it long for other people/social reasons). My boyfriend likes it. My friends thought it would be cool. I live in a very hippy-friendly place with many long hairs, so it's accepted here.

Nevermore
July 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM
My girlfriend loves it and she'd like me to have hair as long as I want. I told her that I'm aiming for floor length or longer, even if I end up cutting back up to ankle or knee for convenience sake, and she was thrilled. She went to school with a girl with floor length hair that wore it in a braid basically daily, something my partner wants me to do because she thinks it's amazing. She's also said she'll help me brush/S&D/wash/braid/whatever I need, though she thinks she'll be hopeless at braiding.

My family...ahahaha...my family. My brother has told me several times that he believes everyone should shave their head or wear their hair VERY short because "long hair is so wasteful", he's practically militant about it and it kinda scares me. My mother thinks CO washing, though it's quite cheap (Suave is 99 cents a bottle and the White Rain I'm using now is 75 cents a bottle) and works extremely well, is weird/gross/insufficent for cleaning, but the price keeps her from complaining too much. She's always prefered my hair short, mostly because she knows it makes me miserable (No, really. We have the kind of relationship that takes the fun out of dysfunctional, much as I wish it weren't so), but complains much less now that it's bunned 99% of the time, out of sight is out of mind and all. My cousins commented on my short hair and haven't seen me in so long now that they'd probably have a heart attack over how long it is.

My best irl chick friend has hair that's hip/tailbone length, so she's supportive. My best irl dude friend has crazy hair, it's currently a "tail" (head shaved except for an inch diameter spot just above the crown, which is braided, often dyed fabulous colors and sometimes has things attached to the end) which is his trademark style. He met me right before The Big Chop, we became friends after it and we haven't seen eachother since I've grown it out, so he hasn't had much chance to comment on it.

My online friends, who're mostly part of the body mod community, think my hair is awesome and I've introduced one of them to CO washing, oiling, updos and the like. The rest aren't very interested in having their own hair long or virgin/undamaged, so I see their dye jobs and they hear about my hair measuring and interest in henna. It's very live and let live.

I haven't gotten much in the way of stranger comments, other than people not recognizing me with my hair down O.o

ZaBasDa
July 13th, 2008, 12:22 AM
Some love it, some hate it.

My mother thinks it should be short because it looks better, and uh just looks better according to her. The rest of my family doesn't care much.

I have friends who have threatened to disown me if I cut my hair short again. By short I mean chin to shoulder to apl. Some people don't like the curls and think length will take them out since they know I refuse to straighten it. Some think my long curls are gorgeous. My people probably wouldn't support my longer hair endeavors if they knew about them, but they would chalk it up to the fact that I'm prone to this sort of "crazyness." My bfs (best and boy) think I wouldn't be me without my long unruly, curly hair.

I have an anti-stranger shield, so I don't know what they think.

My people probably wouldn't support my longer hair endeavors if they knew about them, but they would chalk it to the fact that I'm prone to this sort of "crazyness."

emeraldfaery
July 16th, 2008, 12:30 PM
My mom was commenting on it just today. She called me Barbie (yuck) and was saying how quickly it grew. She loves it.

My boyfriend also loves it's length and color, which he calls red (it's actually blond with a hint of red).

rockkcor
July 16th, 2008, 01:02 PM
As a man I have a lot of negative comments...

But I don't care - I tell them I'll grow it to the floor and then they just freak out:)

spidermom
July 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I could have chosen "I don't know ..." until my recent visit to Ohio. My father said "I don't like that long hair." So I had to pick "some like it ..."

But he's the only one who's been negative.

orangeeyecrayon
July 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM
most of my friends have longer hair than me (bsl at longest for them)

they all insult me for how short my hair is now that i am trying to grow it out. and when ever my friend drives the convertable i get stuck in the back so my hair knots (which is anoying cause i am also the only one with curly hair and the only one with bangs) i cant wait till my hair is longer than theres so i not only get the encouragment from them for growing my hair out but i dont get stuck in the car seats that make my hair get knotty and split ends

Starr
July 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I get quite a few mixed reviews. . . most of my immediate family love my hair. Some people I know think it's too long, but those are the same people who keep telling me that they like my hair better straight and highlighted.:rolleyes:

rockkcor
July 16th, 2008, 04:06 PM
I don’t know how it is with you ladies – but I guess it is the comments that make me grow it longer and longer!
There are many ladies love my long hair…
On the other hand one of the reasons I am here is to get the support to grow my hair as long as it can grow and be healthy!

xrosiex
July 16th, 2008, 05:26 PM
My relatives think i need a trim, and i probably do, but i won't go into that.
The immediate family think I'm gross or weird/hippy for my hair washing habbits.
I don't care, it's my hair, and while the comments do hurt sometimes it hasn't made me change my mind yet!
Yep this is me. Sometimes my family is cruel. And my feeling do get hurt. But I love growing my hair. It's me.

embee
July 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Mostly I get no comments on my hair because I almost always have it up in a bun. But sometimes one of the kids manages to pull out my hairstick and then she gets to play with the tail end of my hair and people say how long it is. In a positive way. For sure I have the longest hair of anyone I know personally right now, and my hair is only just barely classic, the longest few hairs, that is! ;)

Haith
July 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I haven't had any negative comments directed at my hair, but it helps that I've always had it between APL and BSL. Now that its waist length, there's not a huge difference to the people that have always known me.

When I first told my husband that I was going to grow my hair he thought that I was growing it rapunzel-long and he was less than thrilled with what he saw as a prospect for disaster. It became a very sensitive subject for a month or two. Now that he understands about LHC and how important our hair is to all of us, he is very sweet and supportive.

cindy58
July 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM
I like my hair long, my SO likes it long. Some ladies that I work with have told me they liked my old short, fluffier style though. Long hair is way in the minority in my office, I have the longest hair.

Unless something really radical comes up, my long hair is here to stay.

Delenn
July 17th, 2008, 07:47 AM
A lot of people tell me that if their hair was like mine they would grow it really really long, too, so I take that as a compliment. But I've had it WL before so there isn't really that shock factor with the people who know me. I think if I was this length for the first time I'd get some questions but pretty much all I've been getting is encouragement. (*knock on wood*)

Paradise Lost
July 17th, 2008, 08:07 AM
I have never had a bad comment about my hair, even when it was past tailbone. Except one from a hairdresser, who didn't want to cut my hair because it was too long and too much effort :rolleyes:
People usually think it's nice and are encouraging.

On the other hand, my boyfriend, who has also long hair and is still growing it, gets some nasty comments sometimes, especially from his family.

winter_star
July 19th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Most people I come across really love it. Especailly my partner and my dad. Men seem to comment me on my hair more than women. For some reason my mum dislikes it and wants me to cut my hair shorter! shudder:

LaurelSpring
July 19th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Actually no one seems to notice or care. :rolleyes: I wear it up all the time now and I have had several nice comments about how nice my hair looks up but that is about it. I dont really think the actual length is particularly noteworthy (BLS) in that it wouldnt attract too much attention but then again I do it for me because I love it and it makes me feel good. BF is supportive.

Angharad
August 20th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Many people like it I think, but because my hair is rather bushy and wavy it doesn't fit in in todays "modern" views on socalled beautiful hair.

rhysiana
August 20th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've never gotten any particularly negative comments, and I know DH likes it. Back when I did cut from tailbone to chin, my brother seemed dismayed, which was interesting because he'd never said anything before, and in the midst of everyone telling me that the cut looked cute (which it did), my grandmother followed up with "but it makes you look like everyone else, dear." That was pretty funny.

Maddy25
August 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
When I told my mom I was growing it she didnt take me seriously, but when I cut out heat and cones and started really taking care she has been really supportive!

My boyfriend and friends I think dont really think I can make it to my goal (waist) and often ask why I want it THAT long (dont see really long hair that much in my smallish town). But they respect my decision :)

ChrissieM
August 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had any negative comments about long hair. (although mine's not "long" yet by BSL standards) Most say it's pretty... I do have a short-haired SIL who I know prefers shorter haircuts, but she always says "your hair is getting long...it looks great!" when I see her. We'll see what happens when my length gets past waist and keeps going.

peachrose
August 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I'm lucky to have mostly supportive people in my life. My mom adores my long hair, wants me to buy her a ficcare and comments on it frequently. I've told her that she is my inspiration since in her late-teens/early twenties she had gorgeous TB 1b hair that I've always admired. Now hers is about APL and still lovely but I am trying to get her to grow a little longer.

My husband loves my long hair and manages to not even roll his eyes when he sees me on LHC for hours. When we met it was really short and he admits that he loves it long. He does however get paranoid when he sees me S&Ding. He always says, "won't that make it shorter"... The fact that trimming individual splits doesn't really effect length, especially on my thick hair is lost to him.

My sister and other family members have said positive things and always comment that they are not used to me with long hair since it's always been APL or much shorter before.

My friends have also commented on how long it is. Mostly my college friends who all had longer hair than me for years and now I'm the long one! :cheese:

Mostly though I don't talk about my hair to anyone but my hubby. It's probably a little silly but I don't really like people to know how obsessed I am about my hair, I'd rather they think it's this gorgeous without any thought put into it! LOL

Renbirde
August 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Most people that say something seem to like it. I'll get a comment every now and again about how long hair is weird or gross, but not often. The majority of people don't say anything at all.

Konstifik
August 20th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I've hardly ever got a comment, bad or good, on my hair except when hair is the topic. But that's often more of a general talk of hair and not my hair.

Apart from that, I have no idea what others think...

Fractalsofhair
August 20th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'm fairly certain my mum will like my hair when it's long, but at its current length,(a growing out pixie), it just looks awkward and like I forgot to get a haircut. My grandmother LOVES short hair(she has crazy thick hair, and she had extreme headaches when it's longer than 12 inches. I'd put her at a IX in terms of thickness. It literally sticks straight up when she doesn't heavily gel it down and it's a good 5 inches long. XD), but she also loves straightish blonde hair, which is my hair. My aunt is very much in love with a flatiron, so if I can get my hair to look 1aish when it's longer, she'll love it, I'm sure. Other than that, I'm sure a lot of people will be negative, but they already are due to my not bleaching it(or dying it), my not flat ironing it, my not washing it 3x daily etc, and that's not so much about the length as how I treat my hair.

twilight_faerie
August 21st, 2009, 12:53 AM
I voted "they think it's pretty", because occasionally one of them will say "wow, your hair is getting long", and today my brother not only told me my hair was getting long but also added that it looks nice, which is kind of unusual for him to say. But really, I think the majority of the people I know don't particularly care about my hair. My brother's compliment today so surprised me because I get comments on my hair so infrequently.

Bereft
August 21st, 2009, 01:17 AM
Most every one I know compliments my hair. My mom especially, is always quick to point out that my hair is longer than when we last saw each other. Funny thing was, DBF didnt even notice how long it got in the seven months he was in Iraq till I pointed it out while I was combing it out. :p But then he was quick to shower me with praises of how long it was :lol:. He knows how important it is to me when he notices these things.:D

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 21st, 2009, 01:31 AM
No one really says anything about it so I don't know what they think.. most are supportive though

jasper
August 21st, 2009, 05:30 AM
I'm not sure what people think. I assume they don't think about it at all, which is funny of me given how much I think about other people's hair. :-/

Namarie
August 21st, 2009, 05:46 AM
I have short hair right now after a bad cut. But everyone is always telling me that I look better with long hair so I shouldn't have it short :P

Monsterkitti
August 21st, 2009, 06:12 AM
I voted they like it. I get some nice comments from family and friends on the natural curl rather than being straightened and how long its getting :)

I havent really had a ny negative comments yet but its not particually long yet really.

pdy2kn6
August 21st, 2009, 06:45 AM
I'm like Carolyn, I haven't told anyone properly that I aim to have super super long hair. I just say, ''i haven't got round to cutting it yet''. I am sure alot of you other guys get the same comments I get though about having my hair up-my family often say what's the point in having long hair if its always up. But then I always have to proclaim and try and convince them that keeping it up is protecting it. lol.

Fiferstone
August 22nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
My mother will never like long hair on me. She's too attached to the short hair styles I had.

My husband loves my long hair and has told me he doesn't want me to cut it. Now that I've learned more about how to care for it properly, I actually love MY long hair, after years of admiring it on other people and thinking my own long hair was ...ok...

I have gotten compliments from people on the color (thank you henna :cheese:), but not so much on the length.

I love it, and that's what matters.

kdaniels8811
August 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
My family is pretty supportive, to the point of pointing out folks with classic length and asking am I growing mine that long? (yes). My spousal equivelent buys me hair toys - once I show him what I want such as that four prong sixtieth street fork in indigo that should be here any day... My DIL has been asking for tips on growing her hair out, too. All the guys are bald, it is funny, all of them! and they shave thier heads so any shed hairs are definately mine. Thier support is nice but I would grow it long without it. My spousal equivelent would like it if I wore mine down more often so I will take it down when I get off work today.

LittleOrca
August 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
The majority of my family seems almost two-faced about it. They put on a "It's your hair, do what you want with it" front, but when they think I can't hear them or they want to be bold, they tell me I should cut it. And now that that magazine article came out from Oprah...:justy:

violetka
August 22nd, 2009, 11:42 AM
My friends laugh at me an are tired of hearing about it and it has been only two weeks. But i am an obsessive compulsive about random things and they are tired of hearing about or witnessing my hair rituals. my family considers it superficial and unimportant.

BranwenWolf
August 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
So far I have not gotten rude hair comments or unwelcome touching. I cut to shoulder-length but started getting compliments again when I hit tailbone.

Laylah
August 22nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Some like it some don't. The majority of people I know think it's beautiful, but my mother doesn't like it. She says it would look less "heavy" somewhere between APL and BSL.

Spring
August 22nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
My dh comments from time to time about how 'rich' my hair looks, but doesn't say anything about the length until after I cut it, or if he suspects I'm in the bathroom trimming my hair.

prittykitty
August 22nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Mine isn't all that long yet but my husband is hoping I can grow it very long as planned. Nobody else has said much about it, at least not yet.

I must add that anytime a stranger makes a rude comment on how long a persons hair is, take a look at their hair. If it is very short, I can guarantee that they are just jealous and wishing they could have the long, beautiful hair they are making the comment on.

naselflee
August 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM
I'v been growing my hair out for 5 years now, and everytime I see my mother in law, shes always saying how did I get it so long. Its always the same reply "I just didn't cut it anymore. My partner loves my hair long. Everytime I get a trim, I always stiring him by saying that i'm going to cut it really short. That always gets his attention.:p

Spring
August 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM
Everytime I get a trim, I always stiring him by saying that i'm going to cut it really short. That always gets his attention.:p

Lol... I sometimes do the same :D

Roseate
August 23rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
I must add that anytime a stranger makes a rude comment on how long a persons hair is, take a look at their hair. If it is very short, I can guarantee that they are just jealous and wishing they could have the long, beautiful hair they are making the comment on.

Or, alternately, they have short hair because they like short hair. And they don't like long hair because... they really like short hair. Not everyone loves the length!

I get mostly positive comments on my hair, though no-one's really that invested in it, which is fine with me.

deko
August 23rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
My SO loves long hair, my family tihinks I should cut it and I will wait and see how long my hair will grow.

redwoman
August 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
My husband adores my hair, he holds it and strokes it and tells me he can see the rainbow in my hair. It makes me feel pretty good. Of course he is biased and points out women with really short hair and says "is that a woman? She looks like a man!" He's fifty six and thinks all women should be in dresses too....soo...I guess his age is showing. LOL.

apynip
August 23rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
most of my friends like my hair short. My mum says it looks cute on me. But I have several friends who are rooting me on ( mostly longhairs two who are growing theirs out too and some who juts chopped theirs )

I dont really care what teh people who like my hair short think. i like growing my hair.

23_seconds
August 23rd, 2009, 06:31 PM
||||||||||

Spring
August 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Roseate, is that your thick braid in the picture because it looks longer than +apl :).

claram89
August 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've only started on my long hair journey, but most of my family are telling me I that I won't be able to do it with my current hair dye addiction. I currently have only about half my hair virgin, but it's more because my hair is only 3 inches at the mo'.

Now I wanna do it just to say "I told you I could do it!

Asocialisten
August 24th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I've never been told that I should cut it. But I do get the obvious "wow, you have long hair!" which I doubt is meant to be taken negatively. My mom thinks that I don't 'need' to grow my hair any longer, as the thinks is the pretty just the way it is. But I beg to differ.

going gray
August 24th, 2009, 08:23 PM
My DH & DD like it short, one of the many reasons I cut it in June. I get a lot of comments that this short style makes me look much younger.

I am SO TIRED of hearing about it, everything is about looking youthful. Isn't anyone allowed to grow gracefully!!! Provided they take excellent care of themselves

Are there any role models out there in their sixties?.

Aunteater
August 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I have not gotten the "when are you going to cut it" comments in a long time. My fiance thinks it's beatiful. My family is just relieved that I am no longer bald.

heatherdazy
August 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
What, no 'cheese' option?

JamieLeigh
August 25th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I've got at least one person in mind who would have all of those reactions (or no reaction, lol). Mostly the people around me or either positive or seem to take no notice of my hair. Even the ones who have suggested I donate my hair have complimented me on it first. (I guess no charity would want it if it were ugly or split :p )

Peregrine
August 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Some like it, some don't.

Comments from co-workers have been pretty positive (I've been told I look gorgeous with it down.:D Flattery, I know, but still I'll take it.).
Strangers have only said nice things. The ones who don't like it keep it to themselves I guess.

My family and I, however, have an unspoken agreement. If I don't talk about my hair they wont comment on it. If I should in my enthusiasm forget and say something like "I should be waist length by New Year's, I can't wait!!" Someone will respond, with pursed lips and a raised eyebrow, "Uh-huh and then your cutting it. Right?" To which I smile sweetly (b*tch*ly) and say "No, I'm never cutting it again." You'd think they'd be happy I'm no longer buzzing it.:rolleyes:

RoseRedDead
August 27th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Family: think it's both nice and weird.

Other people: don't care.

Lissa
August 27th, 2009, 04:46 PM
My hair is by far the feature I get the most comments on, and most all of them are positive. At worst they're sceptical, or wondering if I'll ever get my hair cut, but people never say anything directly negative.

My mother and grandmother talk about it my hair quite a bit, and they both used to think it was a bit weird and want me to cut it a bit(at least that's the impression I had). Lately they've only been complimenting on it, though.

Katrina
August 28th, 2009, 04:31 AM
It varies a lot. My mom doesn't care and she never says anything nice about it. She says that she liked it better short (almost pixie). She believes that women over 20 look better with short hair, but she knows how I feel about my long hair and long hair generally, so she has learnt to shut up. Which is great :D. I guess that my dad likes it, but it's hard to tell for sure... Other relatives never say anything about it.

Some of my friends and colleagues compliment me sometimes because of its length, good condition and some hairdos. One of my colleagues asked though, what I'm going to do with it later - donate it? She thought that hair this long must be difficult to handle and growing it out must be a very boring journey.

My SO loves my long hair and he wants to see it even longer. This is very important to me. It's wonderful to be finally with someone who really loves my hair and wants to help me with it, too.

Generally I think that others either like it or they are just indifferent and that's fine with me.

Nanni
August 28th, 2009, 05:09 AM
I think they like it, but they don't comment on it too often. They touch it sometimes.

Tomato
August 28th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Husband: Loves my long hair- only on my head, not in the tub, the bed, the floor, in his closet (how do they get there???)...
Mom: My, you have beautiful hair.....
Others: I don' t & I don' care....

Thank Godesses it's Friday!!!!!:cheese:

GlassEyes
August 28th, 2009, 05:27 AM
My mom loves my hair, and wants me to grow to at least BSL-waist curly--longer than that and she thinks it's quite odd, and that I'll eventually cut it though. She does sometimes wish I'd do more with it--i.e., straighten, just for a change. xD; Weird.

My sister thinks that it's weird that I like my hair, my biological dad would probably prefer if I cut it--but as long as I keep it presentable (i.e., not frizzy) he seems happy for now. His wife is probably the same way (hairdresser--though more businesswoman--owns two successful salons, and even advertised on Bravo for a while). My legal father likes that I'm growing it long--he always wanted his long, but he usually cuts near shoulder because of my grandma.

My grandmother on my legal father's side has kept her tongue shut, but probably blames my mother for my long haird, eyeliner-wearing freakishness. :p One of my aunt's seems to like it though.

On my biological father's side, the only one I've seen recently was my aunt, who basically told me to cut my hair to be more 'clean-cut', because the opinion of someone I don't see more than once every few years matters? :confused: Whatever.

Ina
August 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
My friends really liked it long (I had hip lenght), and said I should not cut it. some of them always wanted to touch it.:D
My parents don`t like it long.
This winter I was stupid and cut it, but now I`m growing it back:)

11eleven
August 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
My mother will blatantly tell me my hair needs to be cut and often tells me that my goal of hip length probably wont be reached, due to the fact that she thinks my hair will stop growing. I find her comments a little odd though considering when she was younger she had waist and hip length hair. My aunt always tells me that I looked so good with shorter hair (I guess it's a hint).

janiejones
August 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
My mom and dad = "Oh look your hair is getting so long again, it's gorgeous, i like it so much better long!" etc.
Friends (mostly male) = "Meh."
DBF = Constantly changes his mind and will never make a definitive comment about it. :confused:

rockkcor
August 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
They tell me I should cut it. - as I am a male...
I guess they are just jealous ;)

Rhiannon7
August 29th, 2009, 01:11 PM
most people think i am actually insane to want hair classic length to mid-thigh. some approve, even encourage me. but maybe that's because most of those who encourage me have waist length hair. a couple are men, and to see a man with what is considered extremelly long hair (barely waist length.) is amazing. not something we see where i live often. people here follow the "men should have very short, cropped or even shaved hair " attitude. sad, because when i see a man with long hair, i feel extatic to know he is not a conformist and does not follow the status quo forced on alot of people by society.

Kris Dove
September 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
My boyfriend prefers it long(he started seeing me when I had it very short!) so that's definitely inspired me to keep growing!

My mum thinks it's okay atm so long as it's healthy, but she really prefers it shorter on me as it's bouncier. She's had a bob for over 20 years herself.

lundmir
September 13th, 2009, 10:10 PM
So far everyone that has commented have loved it.

aada
September 13th, 2009, 11:16 PM
most of my friends are excited for me to grow it, as is my main partner. my best friend and her husband are happy, since they both have TBL hair.

my mom hates my hair unless it's bleached-blonde and bobbed.

everyone else either doesn't know or doesn't care/comment.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
My mother seems to think that it will get too stringy once it goes beyond my waist (almost there-yay!). There was a lady who grew out her hair at my mother's church and had extremely thin hair. I think she must think mine will get that way.

karli
September 14th, 2009, 05:42 AM
As my hair always been longish, noone has noticed that it is actually longer that it ever has been. Some coworkers have said nice things about my updos, though.

I don`t really talk about hair with my close friends, it is possible that they would think that co is strange, but the subject has never been discussed.

Elvi
September 14th, 2009, 06:24 AM
I get compliments for my long hair or sometimes comments that it must be tedious to take care of such hair. But all longhairs I think know good looking hairstyles that are really quick to do.

Gladtobemom
September 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I get unsolicited opinions that are all over the map.

You always wear your hair up, why have long hair if you never have it down?
Your braid is getting long, and your hair is so shiny.
Your hair would be prettier if you cut it to frame your face.
Your hair is so gorgeous, why don't you wear it down more often?

Runzel
September 15th, 2009, 05:42 PM
My little sister loves it, always wants to see it, and showers me with compliments on it. :D

My mom doesn't appear to care either way.

My dad cares, and likes long hair, but would only speak up if i were to cut it short. :p (Learned from experience)

The other day I was visiting with a group of relatives and one asked how long my hair was...I turned my back so they could see and heard a collective gasp behind me followed by exclamations. :) The funy thing is I don't quite consider my hair "long" yet.

My massage therapist says it's beautiful.

My grandma says it reminds her of the days when all women grew their hair long.

*happy sigh*

Pumpkin
September 16th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Only when I mention that I am growing my hair out that I usually get a slightly negative comment. I kid you not!

Must be that whole idea of over 40 and you must have short poodle hair! :rolleyes: No thank you, I like to feel like a woman!

But, hey, I received nasty, rude comments from people when I had a short pixie. Go figure.....

So, I have just decided not to say a word to anyone about it, and just come here to talk about hair...at least all of us are on the same page and know how to support one another with our hair goals.

RancheroTheBee
September 16th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Most people don't seem to care. It's probably because I'm at about shoulder, and it doesn't seem to irk anybody that I want more hair. However, I rarely mention that I'm aiming for waist and beyond. Even my boyfriend asked, "So, are you done growing it now?" :shrug: To be honest, I sometimes feel like if I tell people I want to grow to waist, they won't believe I can or will do it.

(But you guys know better. ;))

RocketDog
September 17th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I don't make a point of discussing my growth with anyone other than my husband and my closest girlfriend. I share tips and tricks with my girlfriend and my husband seems to enjoy my hair more and more as it grows, but other than those two people I don't really care what anybody's opinion is, positive or negative. Compliments are always nice, of course, but I don't expect them from anyone other than my husband ;)

Debra83
September 17th, 2009, 01:10 AM
One cab driver I get regularly said I look good with my hair down the other morning!!! Made my day!!!!

ooo
September 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM
everyone likes my hair, but most people don't belive, that i'll be able to just let them grow long.

JCFantasy23
October 5th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I only talk about my hair with two people. My boyfriend likes long hair, as have all my boyfriends, and my best friend likes me with long hair. Ironically she always had short hair, very short. She's of the mindset that it's just hair and never sees it as a big deal for people ot have it it cut, or if hair is cut too much at the salon, groans....but she loves the long hair on me and doesn't think I should cut because she thinks I don't look good with short hair. We've known each other a long time, and she knows lol.

Other friends and family never say anything. Oh, except my mom talking about women who are older usually going shorter.

Aer
October 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Everybody seems to like my hair longer, except my horrible MIL, she doesn't, but that is just because she doesn't like me, and the feeling is mutual.

bigmama8
October 6th, 2009, 07:13 PM
My DH and family love my hair being long. My MIL used to make comments that I should get it cut, but has stopped recently after I told her that DH loves it long. I don't think any of my inlaws like long hair though, but most don't say anything to me about it.

Samara
October 6th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Hooray for growing your hair. I am 31 and feel already pressured to cut my hair...NEVER!

Samara
October 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Only when I mention that I am growing my hair out that I usually get a slightly negative comment. I kid you not!

Must be that whole idea of over 40 and you must have short poodle hair! :rolleyes: No thank you, I like to feel like a woman!

But, hey, I received nasty, rude comments from people when I had a short pixie. Go figure.....

So, I have just decided not to say a word to anyone about it, and just come here to talk about hair...at least all of us are on the same page and know how to support one another with our hair goals.

:) LOL, @ poodle hair...why is it that women are expected to lop off all their sensuality of long hair once they hit 30? Who invented these ' rules' ???

CaityBear
October 6th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Well, most people don't say much. Most people see it (I rarely wear it down) and when it's down they go "Holy crap your hair is long!" and that's the beginning and end of it. My family don't really say much. Sometimes they say it's pretty and my boyfriend says he loves my long hair. I straight up told him he has no choice, he HAS to like it haha because I wasn't going to change it. hehe

82exoticbeauty
October 11th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I voted some like it-some don't! :DIt's funny how some don't even like long hair, their hair is shorter and mines longer (THEY'RE JUST JEALOUS)! Some like it, but I feel like the most is they like it! The less is some don't! I love to hear those funny saying of people when I pass by some places in San Diego County-Riverside County, because I see their hair is BSL or shorter even when my hair is longer than theirs!
They will keep saying "Her hair is too long, she needs to cut it short!" The only thing I don't like about others comments to others with long hair than classic :shake:(The bathroom jokes about toilet) NO WAY I DON'T LIKE HEARING THAT STUFF, THAT'S DUMB QUESTION ABOUT THAT JOKE):ohmy:

But what I like about good compliments are the people who respects long hair! The LHC here in this page, it don't matter how short or long it is, I care about LHC! I'm just talking about those in person, who passes by that knew me, or have seen me, or just seen me for the first time! Good or Bad, I'm okay with that! But not the bathroom joke which embarrassed me in front of others, but I haven't heard of bathroom joke about me from others! :grin:phew!!! But I know it's okay for my parents, brother, sister, and boyfriend, I don't know about my relatives now, since they haven't seen my hair last year of July-August 2008 which is BSL!

ashimajoy
October 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
My important people love it, but even if they didn't, I'd grow it out. I like to donate it once in a while, and besides, once I decide I'm doing something, I'm very difficult to stop. :D

nowxisxforever
October 26th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Most people don't comment, but those that do always have something positive to say. :)

verene
October 27th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I've always had long-ish hair so I don't think most people care. My sister thinks it's "boring" because I "never do anything with it." (Then again she usually only sees me when I'm home on vacation, so she is kind of right... I don't do anything with it then.) But she will concede that it is soft and healthy.

Rest of my family and friends don't really care. The few comments I have gotten from others have all been positive though.

BritishBraider
October 28th, 2009, 04:21 PM
When I wear it down (its mostly up) people are always surprised by how much there is, and generally in a good way, which is nice :) as yet, no negative comments from anyone that matters :)

Ven
October 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I get an occasional positive comment but for the most part non-LHC people don't even notice my hair.

~Ven

LawyerGirl
October 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
People don't seem to care one way or another... my hair is always changing and nobody is surprised. My boyfriend is looking forward to seeing me with long hair (he's never seen it past collarbone length), my mom doesn't really care, and my brother and sons don't care. The rest of the people... well it varies.

Smitts
October 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
At first. No one but my step father and mother cared. They didn't want me to have long hair because young boys are not suppose to have long hair.

Anyways, as I kept growing it out. My mother still thinks I would look better with it short and my step fathers doesn't like it.
As far as everyone else, they always say "wow you have really pretty hair for a guy." They always want to play with it or do something to it. I'm flattered, really.

kittensoupnrice
October 29th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Occasionally a female friend will comment on how long it's gotten, but other than that, no real comments.
Parents hate it, of course, but they don't count.
DH loves it.
My best friend thinks it's a sign that I'm either obsessive or have issues. :)

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
I don't know what people think. I've had long hair longer than I've known most people. They just don't comment. Plus it's always up anyway.

Henrietta
August 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
They tell me I should cut it. Even now! I am afraid of thinking what will happen when I reach knee. Good to have LHCers as a support:):)

Camee
August 14th, 2010, 12:19 AM
I get told how beautiful it is when I wear it out to work, asked what I used to straighten it (sorry, the straight is natural).

The weirdest thing I've had was when a man ask me if I had a man at home to look after it for me! Apparently his wife used to have very long hair and he'd plait it for her every morning before he went to work. It took a while to grow this long, I've had plenty of time to learn how to care for it!

Camee
August 14th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I get told how beautiful it is when I wear it out to work, asked what I used to straighten it (sorry, the straight is natural).

The weirdest thing I've had was when a man ask me if I had a man at home to look after it for me! Apparently his wife used to have very long hair and he'd plait it for her every morning before he went to work. It took a while to grow this long, I've had plenty of time to learn how to care for it!

christine1989
August 14th, 2010, 12:58 AM
My responses to growing my hair out have been positive at best and neutral at worst. Even if no one liked the idea of growing it out I would do it anyway.

shawty
August 14th, 2010, 01:37 AM
My parents are mildly amused, and the only other person in whom I've confided about my quest was impressed by my determination. Yay!

lajsa
August 14th, 2010, 03:41 AM
My mother calls my hair "hippie hair", because it doesn't really have a "shape", or whatever. WHUT? It's not supposed to have a shape. I've got flat straight hair, I won't bother keeping it cut in some special style. I don't like styling products and I'm too lazy to use them anyway, so I just think I'd look stupid if I cut some kind of layer-thingie or whatever. It might as well be long. Not that I know how it'll look when it's longer than this, but let's tackle it when it arrives.
My sister and mother try to make me cut it. I won't! :p Though I've not exactly told them I want to grow it even longer...

tinti
August 14th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Some like it, some don't. My aunties like it, then we have those who don't care or don't say anything, like my mom, and then we have people like my grandma who just tell me out of nowhere that I need to cut my hair because I have a face like hers, like a donkey :( That's not the method to make me cut my hair, usually when people say that it just makes me determined to grow my hair to floor lenght :p

akhkharu
August 14th, 2010, 05:58 PM
I voted for "they like it" because most of the comments I get are positive, but once in a while someone tells me I should cut it. I ignore them.

restourceful
August 14th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Most people never see my hair down. I rarely leave the house without some sort of bun or updo, though I do wear a french braid down my back sometimes. I haven't gotten any comments either way, so I guess I don't know what anyone else thinks. But it doesn't really matter what others think since I'm growing my hair for me.

Nevada Rose
August 14th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I was wondering what people in your real life think about your long hair, or if your growing your hair long?

I started growing my hair 10 months ago. I've been waiting for the comments that I should cut my hair, or I shouldn't have long hair at my age. So far, I have had only positive comments.

At 57 I still get compliments. My aunt was in her 70's and had classic length silver hair. It is each woman's right to wear any length she desires, and age should not be a determining factor. I have always felt that more can be done with long hair. It might take extra time , but so does hair that is cut, curled, permed, whatever. I never curl my hair. Too lazy maybe, but I have always liked straight hair since the 60's, and have mostly stayed with it. I have natural slightly wavy hair, but I don't like it. So, for years and years I have used a blow dryer on my hair which makes it straight.
I continue to get compliments on the shine and the length. When I go out, I feather, style and mist the front with a pump hair spray to give it height and a more sophisticated look. :poot:

smilinjenn71
August 14th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I get mixed reviews but of my friends that I would consider to be the most honest with me....they like my hair better in a pixie.

They say the pixie fits my personality and face structure better than long hair. I have to say that while I am enjoying my hair longer - I don't really think it looks *as good* as it did with my pixie.

Of course, I also get people that say they love my hair longer. Sometimes I think it's a preference of theirs more than an opinion of what looks best. (not sure I made sense there) We do have friends (a couple) and he told his wife that he hates short hair but for some reason he really liked me with short hair.

I say all of that to say this..... Some people just have a certain idea of what a woman's hair should be. Then other people take the whole picture in account; not just their preference.

triumphator!
August 14th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Exboyfriend/best friend thinks it will be weird when it is waist-length. My mom is all for it, though...

Jenw777
August 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM
No one really cares what I do anymore. They stopped getting on me back when I dyed it blue.

Crackaleen
August 14th, 2010, 08:46 PM
It's quite funny, my coworkers and acquaintances are generally the most supportive. My family...not so much. When I let my hair down at work (which isn't often) I usually get lots of gushing and OMG-I-didn't-realize-your-hair-is-so-long comments. My mother is probably the most unsupportive. I think she thinks I'm a little bit nuts for wanting classic length hair and has told me on several occasions that "that will change as soon as the first kid comes along." :hmm: Somehow I don't so, but I guess only time will tell. My husband seems "eh" about it. I think he likes the way it looks, but he hates the shedding.

lillylonghair
August 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
My 2 best friends and my mom are super supportive. My mom is actually growing her hair out as well. No one really knows the extent of my growing and I don't really talk to anyone else except for the people on here about it. I always get compliments on how pretty and shiny it is though.

lillylonghair
August 14th, 2010, 08:52 PM
I get mixed reviews but of my friends that I would consider to be the most honest with me....they like my hair better in a pixie.

They say the pixie fits my personality and face structure better than long hair. I have to say that while I am enjoying my hair longer - I don't really think it looks *as good* as it did with my pixie.

Of course, I also get people that say they love my hair longer. Sometimes I think it's a preference of theirs more than an opinion of what looks best. (not sure I made sense there) We do have friends (a couple) and he told his wife that he hates short hair but for some reason he really liked me with short hair.

I say all of that to say this..... Some people just have a certain idea of what a woman's hair should be. Then other people take the whole picture in account; not just their preference.

I looked through your pictures and I have to say you have lovely hair and I like ti long! I think it is much prettier and makes you look younger.:D

lillylonghair
August 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
It's quite funny, my coworkers and acquaintances are generally the most supportive. My family...not so much. When I let my hair down at work (which isn't often) I usually get lots of gushing and OMG-I-didn't-realize-your-hair-is-so-long comments. My mother is probably the most unsupportive. I think she thinks I'm a little bit nuts for wanting classic length hair and has told me on several occasions that "that will change as soon as the first kid comes along." :hmm: Somehow I don't so, but I guess only time will tell. My husband seems "eh" about it. I think he likes the way it looks, but he hates the shedding.

I actually started growing my hair out when I got pregnant.:p Long hair is soooo much easier than a 'do you have to 'style' everyday.

anthonyswife
August 14th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm lucky in that pretty much everyone I know loves my long hair. My husband is very supportive, my mother and mother-in-law both compliment me on it, my Grandma thinks it would look better if I brushed it more often XD (which it doesn't, it just turns into an afro :p ). I've yet to find anyone who has actually said I should cut it, or that I would look better with short hair. People may be less enthusiastic as it starts getting really unusually long, right now it doesn't look quite as out of the ordinary.

Qwerty Uiop
August 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM
My parents think that I'm too old and should cut it to save money on shampoo.

I don't use shampoo.

My little boy loves it. My big boy doesn't care. My daughter introduced me to LHC years ago.

I don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Venefica
August 19th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I have mostly positive responses, my boyfriend love it, my mother is more fan of short hair but she thinks it is pretty, however she want me to cut it. However it seams that in Norway it is getting more and more unpopular with long hair on women past their teens. My hair is not that long, not by this forum's standards, it is waist length, and I think I have the longest hair among my family friends and buddies. Very short is popular, and if it is longer most do not let it grow much past their shoulders. Even my hairdresser complain, saying, why do you have this long hair, you should cut it that would be much more practical. However I still get compliments on my hair.

I think that in Norway long hair is seen as a thing for the very young. First of all there is this stupid idea that many have that after 40 there should be no length to the hair as that make women look older. I think the opposite, when I see older women with long hair, dyed or not I think that makes them look more young and vibrant. In addition to the 40 rule it seams many think that shorter hair make you seam more mature. I am 28 and allot of women in my age group now chop their long hair off. I think that many do not understand why I would bother with long hair.

RachelRain
August 19th, 2010, 03:36 AM
My mom thinks I'm out of my mind, but all she really does is make comments like 'I can't believe how long your hair is... how can you stand it?!' lol.

My boyfriend and my mother in law (and her sister) love it. And random people seem to like it. Nobody's actually said anything negative, which is good, just the occasional stalker following me around a store (or work) telling me that I should donate my hair.

Drynwhyl
August 19th, 2010, 06:44 AM
When I used to meet more people (high school, getting out to new places) I got lots of compliments (or other comments) every day, now everybody kinda got used to it, so they usually don't notice anymore. Plus I usually wear it so it's not really noticeable.
I'll see what people say when I start university in October, new people and new opinions :P

cmnt831
August 19th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I've always gotten all sorts of comments on my hair from the time I was a little girl. Now that I want to grow it long again, my husband thinks it's wonderful and fully supports me. And once I explained to my parents that I enjoy taking care of it and enjoy putting it in updos, they've never commented on getting it cut again. Apparently, they thought it was too much work and I would get tired of it. ;) Other than those three people (and occasionally my sisters), I don't discuss it with anyone (except here), so I don't know what the public at large thinks of it. And I really don't care, either. :D

Seagreen
August 19th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I made a decision not to tell many people I am growing my hair... the people who know I am growing it are:

1. my hairdresser (I found a great one & had a trim today!)
2. my closest friend (always supportive)
3. my mirror

Over time, I know not to trust anyone who says:

"you look better with short hair"
"just chop it all off, you'll feel so much better"

I feel I've learnt it's better for me to share myself with those who appreciate my values, otherwise I'd be wasting valuable energy on negative people... and end up in the psychic vampire drainage system !

All Hail Long Hair Community and their Long Hair Loving people !

:blossom: Great thread, by the way x

Lianna
August 19th, 2010, 09:39 PM
My mom supports me, I even got her to grow hers! I'm glad in my country there isn't a pressure to donate hair, in fact, people try to sell theirs at VERY high prices.

swanns
August 20th, 2010, 01:42 AM
I don't remember a single really negative comment on my hair. Of course a lot of people ask if it gets really hot and how I can manage it, but they're more curious than disapproving. All in all people always seem really amazed and interested in it and on the rare occasion that I do wear it down I always get lots of compliments.

Ylvalie
August 20th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Some like it, some don't.
MY DBF likes long hair, that's important to me.

frost pattern
August 20th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Most of the people I know don't care much about hair. Very few mentioned the updos I started to wear last Winter when my hair suddenly was long enough for that step. Sometimes I get compliments for my hair toys. They're all carefully chosen on the Internet or made by me since I don't like the standard plastic stuff and thus quite unique. People who are interrested in my hair toys sometimes ask me why I want to grow my hair and wonder it need less maintenace than my short hairdos previosly. Good I don't need other peoples' comments to know I'm doing the right thing :).

Hubby supports me and sometimes says my hair never looked better :).

Venefica
October 12th, 2010, 03:46 PM
I was told a few days ago by a guest that she was jealous of my hair. :D Other than that I have not gotten allot of comments lately, other than a comment that it looked good one day I had it in a bun.

FrozenFlame22
October 12th, 2010, 09:06 PM
The only person that knows I'm actively growing it out is my husband and he is absolutely thrilled. He loves to see me in long hair! Most other people really don't know how long it is since I keep it up most of the time.

Mangachan
October 12th, 2010, 09:19 PM
People like the length and are usually amazed by the bigness of it. If people do have issues with my hair, it's usually the texture.

KittyLost
October 13th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Some like it but some don't. But I'm going to love it so it doesn't matter :)

RachelRain
October 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
Most people don't really care. My mother in law and my boyfriend don't want me to cut it, and my mom alternates between being weirdly excited when I tell her how long it is (you should've heard the pride in her voice when I told her in front of her friends that it hit 4') and telling me I should cut it. Random strangers can go jump off a cliff, for all the stock I'm going to put in their opinions of what I should do to my hair :)

LouLaLa
October 13th, 2010, 11:29 AM
People love it but they now love it so much they think i should cut it off for a certain organization....

Its nice to have compliments but I dont like the hassle that its brining and it isnt even that long yet. I get alot of stupid stuff because its naturally blonde and long (usually when you dye I suppose breakage prevents long strong growth- but there is so stunning dyed hair here so i hope im not offending anyone) I just dont get it.

So yes its coming at a price!

JellyBene
October 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
At the moment my hair is fairly short but it is incredibly healthy and shiny (I do NOTHING to it) and people are always touching it and telling me how jealous they are of it

Grille
October 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
my boyfriend and my best firend like it..
my family does not care very much about it..

baaaad_kitty
October 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Most people like my hair and do make some occasional comment, but my grandmother, oh, she keeps telling me to cut it and I am NOT cutting it just to make her happy. No.

bluesnowflake
November 4th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Most strangers/friends like it or are indifferent. My family, however, seem to think they have dictation power over my hairstyle and want me to cut 5+ inches off my just-past-waist length hair. No way!

tigr
November 6th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I feel I've learnt it's better for me to share myself with those who appreciate my values, otherwise I'd be wasting valuable energy on negative people... and end up in the psychic vampire drainage system !

I agree with Seagreen about being careful who I share myself with. And I LOVE the phrase "psychic vampire drainage system"!

I voted I'm not sure what they think, or they don't care. That may change over time as people figure out that I'm growing it. Perhaps I should say *will definitely* change over time. There are some busybodies at work who don't keep their opinions to themselves.

young&reckless
November 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
I don't know if it has anything to do with it but I hang out with a lot of men (all about 10 to 30 years older then me) and I get lots of good feedback.

ange1ito
November 6th, 2010, 11:12 AM
I find the only person who keeps telling me to maintain my style is my hairdresser...lol she must miss my visits every 6 weeks. I am just thankful there are so many positive and knowledgable people here, as i have learnt so much on haircare since i began visiting. LHC advice and articles have transformed my dyed damaged hair from dry splitting ends to glossy locks in a matter of months. The negative people i found were those who don't maintain good haircare, maybe they are just jealous...of people with nicer hair.:pins:

IcarusBride
November 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I haven't gotten any negative feedback, but I have the feeling no one believes I'll really grow my hair as long as I'm wanting to (classic or mid-thigh). Only time will tell, but if I am able to I definitely am going to!

Honeylove
November 6th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I wish I knew what they think! Usually, people seem to be amazed because of the length. Other than that, I don't know for sure.

Aria
November 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Most of my responses are along the lines of O_O. One of my friends actually sent that when I was telling her via AIM, but I get the same vibe from most. My mother's the only one overtly against me with long hair, although one of my friends once said I should cut a lot of it (It gets progressively more worn as you go down the length and I think she wanted me to cut it where it starts to really thin.) My SO loves long hair, but is pretty indifferent after waist or so.

PiroskaCicu
November 7th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Most people like my hair longer, especially DBF but there ARE a few people who say my long hair is 'old fashioned' or boring....but to be honest it doesn't bother me, that is their opinion and as long as they don't try to enforce it on me it's ok.

I love my hair the way it is :).... except I want it a lot longer :D

MinderMutsig
November 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I don't really discuss it with others and I mostly keep it up so I don't think anyone knows or notices.

BeautifulBella
November 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm a Caribbean girl in an area that is 80% Caribbean so I get a lot of attention from my hair. Most don't think its real, or want to label me as not black... its sad that people don't just google hair care and find out that it is a total MYTH that black people cannot have healthy, long hair.

Tabi
January 25th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Well,some like it some don't but I don't really care I 've made up my mind.

Fufu
January 25th, 2011, 07:55 PM
No comments from anyone yet... except for 1 person... that I wish he didn't say much.

WynneWear
January 25th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I got "You can donate it to some poor girl with cancer so she'd have beautiful hair" today. I personally think it was jealousy speaking.

MaKenna90
January 26th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Everyone I have talked to outside of here, has told me that anything longer than BSL is too long. Growing it anyway.

Becky Safari
January 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Where I live long hair seems more common than short, so no one thinks much of mine, other than the "neat hairstyle" compliments I have received since joining LHC and learning techniques

LadyG
January 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM
My hair isn't that long for the area that I live, and I look about 10 yrs younger than I am(50's). Add that I color my hair (which I am going to grow out and color blond with henna- another time for that story),most people love my hair. Especially now that it's all happy and shiny from all the good advice I get from here.

katze666
January 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Boyfriend and sister love it, dad tells me to cut lol. And my mother only says: Oh, how long your hair is!

anodyne_ame
January 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Mostly I get the appreciative "Oh your hair's gotten so much longer now!", and while the people are curious about really long hair, most of them just comment on it when they see me wear it down or in a out-of-the-ordinary (ponytail or english braid) updo.
I have this one friend though, who really likes long hair and can't help but touch and admire mine every time I see him. It's a big egoboost when I'm having a bad hair day :D

Leoslaire
January 29th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Anyone who has seen pictures of me with short hair tells me NEVER to cut it again.

Chetanlaiho
January 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I get a few compliments or people just noticing that it's long (which kind of makes me want to roll my eyes but I consider it a compliment after all xD)

Maybe I'm weird but no one has |ever| told me to cut my hair shorter. I've been growing out some parts of my sidebangs and two people have suggested maybe I should cut the rest of the length to theirs so it looks less, weird and one person once suggested I get layers, that's it O_o

JessicaHamby
October 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Some love it, some are yealous and some don't care ;)

SoetSout
October 8th, 2011, 10:07 AM
My family tells me to cut it.
All the girls in my life tells me it looks hot.
And my friends say i should put in dreadlocks, which i am 100% against. just not my thing.

QueenOfTheSkye
October 9th, 2011, 08:07 PM
My mom is supportive of it in the same 'it's just a phase she's going through' way she's supportive of everything I do; my dad and sisters don't care. Sisters do make fun of me when I put weird stuff in it, though.

paintedhorse
October 9th, 2011, 11:29 PM
well i had short hair for many years and wanted long hair like i had when i was little, my husband said he loves my hair any way that i want it but he really really really likes it long lol. i decided to grow my hair down to my knees bc of one of my favorite book series the enchanted forest chronicles Cimorene has her hair down to her knees and im alot like her lol my husband loves that i want to grow my hair that long. i could care less what other people think!

KwaveT
October 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM
My family think I should cut my hair and keep it short. Most of my work associates seem to actually support my decision to grow my hair. I have had a couple of customers that don't sound like they would support my growing long hair. Some people don't like long hair on men so it goes with the territory.

racrane
October 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Hmn, my boyfriend just informed me that he prefers me with SL hair. This does not mean I'll cut it back to SL nor is her pressuring me to change it for him. I asked, he gave me his honest opinion. I just feel a little sad because I'm so happy to have longer hair and he doesn't feel the same.

Ah well. My two closest friends from college are excited about my hair journey. :) We talk way too much about it. :D

Fortresca
October 12th, 2011, 03:36 AM
My boyfriend likes the idea of my hair growing longer and I'm really happy we have quite the same idea, what length it should be.

My mother, why is a shorthair for over 20 years now, started to grow her hair, too, but we both know, she'll most propably cut it before it reaches shoulder-length, because she's annoyed ;) but we'll see.
My father doesn't care how we wear our hair.

My grandfather would be very unhappy, if I would cut my hair. He's so cute, always looking how I do my hair and if I've got new hairtoys...

But I don't talk so much about it, now. When I started growing my hair and learned about better hair-care, I talked and talked about it. My family and one of my friends, who got me on that idea, had to go through it.

But I know, that some people liked my hair shorter even bevore I started growing it. So I took the option, that some like it and some not.

skyblue
October 12th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I marked "Not sure or don't care"
They probably say to themselves..."Poor thing soooo thin she should cut..." lol!
No one says anything when my hair is down, so I figure they don't want to hurt my feelings lol

PinkyCat
October 12th, 2011, 08:06 AM
The few people I've told sort of look at me with a blank look for a few seconds. It seems they don't believe me or something. For some reason I don't think they believe that there's really olive oil in my hair either.

ssjhotau2
October 12th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I've had one person hassle me about cutting/donating and another girl who tore down my hair color and health (even though she'd just cut 6 inches off her TBL hair and it was still fried from the chemical dye). Both times were at work and it was hard for me to be polite (one was my boss lol).

However I have had strangers stop me when my hair was down to compliment it (once it grew past BSL), and in the line at 6 flags I had two teenagers talking quietly about my hair for about 15 minutes before they finally asked me if my color was natural and what I s&c I use.

nobeltonya
October 12th, 2011, 10:33 AM
All of my family likes it and says I should keep it long. I concur, because I look like a boy with it short [and it looks horrible in between]. Although, it might not look so bad now that it's healthy and I know how to maintain it.. I just don't want to cut it and have to wait years to get back here.

halizabeth
October 12th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I voted that the think it's pretty, but I do get a few comments about cutting it. Even on of my brothers tells me from time to time that I should get it cut shorter. Not sure why, maybe I haven't put enough effort into styling it. I'll try harder just for him ;P

Oksana
October 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I haven't had any negative comments about my current hair or desired length. But then again I am at a 'socially acceptable' age to have long hair ;):rolleyes:

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I've started getting weird comments from strangers, but people who know me just comment that it has gotten really long. Kind of with the unspoken question of "are you TRYING to grow it really long?". I just say, "Yup, it's gotten long! Thanks!"

maborosi
October 12th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Most people like it. They tell me it's healthy and long and soft and pretty.

Some people even think it's fake.

Oh how proud of my hair I am! :D

~maborosi~

Kindredraeven
October 12th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I try not to wear my hair down. I got tired of hearing "Oh your growing your hair to donate it?"

estelwen
October 12th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I get only positive comments. I've grown to tailbone and chopped to jaw/ears thrice in ten years, and always found that I like it better long. My favorite is the preschooler who looked up at me with awe and says, "Your hair is LONG! It's pretty!"

Metallia
October 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I get only positive comments. I've grown to tailbone and chopped to jaw/ears thrice in ten years, and always found that I like it better long. My favorite is the preschooler who looked up at me with awe and says, "Your hair is LONG! It's pretty!"
I love the straight-forward honesty of young kids. Well, usually. When they leave my shows (I work at a science center) and they say "Daddy, that lady was weird!" I try to take it as a compliment and a job well done. :D

Vanille_
October 12th, 2011, 06:14 PM
My mother-in-law knew me when I had long hair, watched me cut it all off, and now knows I'm growing it out again.

It's at 25inches right now so it's getting there.

Today we talked about it a bit and she thinks it's a great idea and is glad I'm learning more about how to care and style it since she remembers that I just kept it up all the time the last time round. She also supports my new hobby of making hair accessories. I felt embarrassed admitting it to her for some reason (she seems like a no-nonsense person), but she thought it was a terrific idea and thought it would be a great thing to sell or give as gifts. She even tried to help me with some ideas. It was really nice.

BabyFirefly
October 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I've only gotten positive comments so far. But my mother thinks I should trim it. She thinks it's necessary to trim at least four times a year and I haven't trimmed my hair in over a year and a half. She thinks it looks nice and all, but I should trim it anyway. I'm looking forward to see what she and others think when it gets past normal long hair (around hip).

DancingQueen
October 16th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I don't think they really care, but they think I'm crazy because I try all sorts of experiments :D But I don't care, they would probably think I'm crazy anyway. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Some people like it, some people, like my husband's family think i should cut it, and my family just thinks it's odd.

CrashDiet
November 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM
As a guy, people always judge me about my hair. They look at me like I'm a punk, outcast or even gay (although all the gay guys I know have short hair)
Once, while I was walking down the street some random guy from a car yelled at me 'Dude you should get a haircut!'. But that kind of comments make me want to have even longer hair :D

But some girls really like it, and they come to me to ask me how I maintain it and keep it healthy :eyebrows:

honeydippedxo
November 5th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I always get lovely comments when I have long hair. I don't get many comments with short hair, good or bad but then I always have it up soo idk. My boyfriend thinks I look cute with short hair and says I should wear it down but he's in love with my long hair. He would write songs about it haha. Part of the reason I chose to start fresh growing out my hair was to see if he still would be attracted to me with short hair. Mission accomplished! C:

Orangerthanred
November 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
They think it's pretty when it's straight and a rat's nest otherwise. Length has no meaning, I guess.

papera
November 7th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Usually people are surprised how long my hair really is when I wear it open and not in a bun ... and then I get the nice compliments, how long and nice they are, hehe :eyebrows:
But then again almost everybody is indifferent to the length of my hair because almost nobody would really mind if I cut them short, expect my bf and some friends.
So yeah, they do like it but they don't have a strong opinion on it!

Silverdragn7385
November 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've received nothing but positive feedback, and encouragement to keep growing it, to never cut it! It's always funny to have my hair down around people who only see me wearing it up in a bun, they're always really surprised at how long it is. :P

naturegirl321
November 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM
I get the oh you should donate your hair to Lock of Love. But other people like it.

Diamond.Eyes
November 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I've only ever gotten comments from people who like my hair. No one has ever come up to me to tell me they disliked my hair. And if someone did happen to not like my hair, I could honestly care less because I like my hair :p.

Ligeia_13
November 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Nobody really knows that I'm planning to grow my hair to my waist :)

IubireaDraga
November 29th, 2011, 04:05 PM
My Mother doesnt like it at all saying I got to much hair,that it will get to heavy and leave me with less hair on my scalp xD one of my girlfriends love it and has decided to do it aswell.. And my boyfriend likes it aswell
So it's mixed responses I get

Nymphea
November 29th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I never experienced a negative response when my hair is at stake until... Today. :confused:

Today I've met a girl, a colleague of my colleague that happens to be my coworker in a next few months. Suddenly, a few moments after she met me, she started to talk about how she don't like long hair at all, how it is gross, how it in most cases looks like a mad or ill cat on the head, and how if she were asked, every girl should have short hair.

Luckily, nobody asks her.

I just stood there without a word. Her comment and the way she said it just shocked me.

Luckily, we'll not meet that often in this project that we do together, and if and when we meet, I will surely not going to let her talking that way.

I'm still shocked. :confused:

Cjatje
November 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Wow, what a reaction!!

Oh, I love my DH so much!!!
He told me he would like to see me with longer hair (afterr I decided qi wanted to let it grow). Bt I didn't dare to ask 'how long'...
Well, we were looking at some TB length shots and he adores those... :D I'll need a lot of patience I think :)

Gothchiq
November 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
People seem either to approve or to not notice. Most of the approvals are from men. lol

RiotPrrl
December 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Most people don't seem to care one way or another, the usual response is: "Okay".

Today, when I told a friend I was growing my hair long she responded with: "But your hair is already long!"
I had to specify that I meant something closer to waist-length :D
But her hair's chin-length, so I guess 'slightly below the shoulders' is long to her.

Miss Catrina
December 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I think more than anything a lot of people are surprised since I absolutely hacked it off in May, and I had really long hair as a kid. So it's like "...This again?"

My boyfriend is pretty excited and he's gonna learn how to braid it. :p

constancev18
December 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM
DH likes it but wishes I would wear it down more often.

CircesButterfly
January 25th, 2014, 10:51 PM
I have never received the comment from anyone on how I should cut my hair. I have always received positive comments about the length and the color. And I've also noticed my self confidence has grown over the years since joining TLHC since I decided to grow my hair. I think over the years with more self confidence, it has really shown in public so therefore the reaction would make other people comfortable in their responses to me.

Hatsune Miku
January 26th, 2014, 01:02 AM
Well, I get random compliments from strangers sometimes. On the other hand, some of my family members and friends tell me to cut it, or at least hint that it's getting too long. If only they knew that I'm aiming for much longer! XD

Sarahlabyrinth
January 26th, 2014, 01:28 AM
My family all wish I would cut it short like theirs. But my mother has said that it is long now and shiny and that I should be in a shampoo commercial , so I guess that's a compliment.

My SO is such a sweetheart, he often tells me that my hair is pretty, lovely and sexy. He helps me dye it, measure it and photograph it and if I look like I am going to bed without my sleep cap on he will remind me to wear it. The other day we were going into town and he asked me to wear it down, then he decided that perhaps it was too windy and my hair would prefer to be up and protected.
I asked him once how long he thought I should grow it and his answer was that I should grow it as long as I wanted it to be! And that he loves my hair! Sometimes he will ask to brush it and he is even gentler with the BBB than I am. I think he is LHC trained LOL. he will just come up to me out of the blue and give me a kiss and a cuddle and tell me that my hair is looking beautiful. He does have a preference for long hair on women, however he just wants my happiness and if I preferred my hair short he would still love it because it was MY hair.

SkyChild
January 26th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I haven't told anyone yet! My husband prefers long hair to shorthair though, so for him I'm hoping it'll be a good thing. My sister has thick curly hair that falls to her waist, so I think she'd like it, my brother has shoulder length hair (so long for a boy) and my Mum and gran have always liked long hair best. Should be positive :D

Andeee
January 26th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Sarahlabyrinth, your SO is amazing!

Sarahlabyrinth
January 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Sarahlabyrinth, your SO is amazing!

Andee, he is the most wonderful person!

Avenie
January 26th, 2014, 01:39 PM
My husband cares so little about my hair it's actually quite annoying. According to him he has no preference whatsoever and thinks it's always 'nice' - that or he's playing it safe.

My mother has been utterly scathing and rude about my desire to grow it long, which is only fuel for the fire! :eek:

I'll probably only tell other people once it becomes a bit more apparent. I wish I could wear a sign, though, that said 'I'm growing it!' rather than having people think I look like this* intentionally.

*wearing an outgrown August pixie, ie: 4 different lengths, none of them very attractive.

AlleyKitten
January 26th, 2014, 03:53 PM
People are very positive about my hair. I get a lot of disbelief -- "Wow, I had no idea your hair was so long!" -- since it's always up. I'm currently doing my first-ever whole-head henna, and it will be interesting to see if more red will get more or different comments.

lapispimpernel
January 26th, 2014, 06:56 PM
When I first started growing my hair out from APL, I got some comments that my goal of waist/hip would be just too long. During the process, nothing. And during the past couple years, while I've been at my goal, only positive. :) Not that many people see it down..

C_Bookworm
January 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM
well i had short hair for many years and wanted long hair like i had when i was little, my husband said he loves my hair any way that i want it but he really really really likes it long lol. i decided to grow my hair down to my knees bc of one of my favorite book series the enchanted forest chronicles Cimorene has her hair down to her knees and im alot like her lol my husband loves that i want to grow my hair that long. i could care less what other people think!

I love Cimorene!!! She was my childhood idol when everyone else was going for Disney princesses

ErinLeigh
January 27th, 2014, 01:44 AM
when my hair is my current length CBL, I never hear comments to cut short or grow long. Its a "comfortable" length that is accepted my most everyone. There are no extremes in CBL hair!
The only time my hair has ellicited comments from my family was when I shaved it. My bf has once said when pressed he prefers no longer than APL as he is one of those people freaked out by long hair. Honestly though he wouldn't care what I did with it. I think his fear is more of hair not attached to my head, as in a long shed hair. Other than that my hair never comes up unless I am discussing products, or someone comments on the color.

I have overheard comments about other people's hair. Comments to cut one's hair once it is deemed "scraggly" or "too long." Very odd anyone would ever point something like that out. I am learning in life extremes just bring out opinions in people and that's all there is to it. Somewhere along the way long hair became deemed "extreme" which I find puzzling.

Snorman
January 27th, 2014, 03:19 AM
My BF is just the best when it comes to this.
He never ever say anything about all my weird tricks!
He even tried no poo for me. He helps me with my scalp massages, he buys my oils.
Not that he thinks I really need to grow out my hair, but just because he wants me to be happy, and he knows I'll be happy when my hair is long enough (haha! I am happy now. Not depressed or anything!)

Dziip
January 27th, 2014, 03:28 AM
My brother simply made a statement : "your hair are long"
My dad, who is CBL/SH since he's 16 loves long hair.
My boyfriend loves that I'm happy. I really think he doesn't care at all about what length I wear them. I can't find out what he likes best about my look !
His GrandMa is another buisness : She used to bug him every time she sees him with more than an inch of hair (He let them grow APL once anyway) Last time I saw her she said "don't you think it's getting too long ?!? ... You should cut it !"
And my mother hates it the most because she hates princesses and she thinks I want long hair to be one :doh: (even if I wear awful clothing, never any makeup and such...)

lapushka
January 27th, 2014, 05:50 AM
My dad just remarked on my goal to reach at least BCL by Christmas. He said, "oh great, you can decorate it with Christmas ornaments". :p Which, come to think of it, isn't a bad idea. ;)

AmyBeth
January 27th, 2014, 12:44 PM
DH is the only one who cares even remotely, and he loves it. I asked him to grow his out, too, and his hair is now at CBL and he's happy with it. I always wear my hair up, so it's not an issue for most people. My favorite hair toy is a paranda, and I get LOTS of positive feedback on them. People really like my parandi (is that the correct plural?)