PDA

View Full Version : Trying a new oil blend and found...mutant hair??

Asequui
November 10th, 2011, 02:35 AM
So, deciding my hair and scalp needed a good oiling, I figured I'd try something other than my normal coconut oil. My hair is dry, as usual, so the extra moisture will be beneficial. Plus I've been dealing with random stabbing tension headaches since yesterday so the scalp massage should help.
And...I'm bored. When I'm bored, I tend to become a "Mad Hair Scientist"...:hmm::eye::stirpot::magic:
Anyhow here's what I'm trying tonight:

4 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp jojoba oil
1 tsp sweet almond oil
1 tsp avocado oil
1/2 tsp argan oil
1/4 tsp emu oil
1/4 tsp apricot oil

I'll let y'all know how my hair liked the mix after I wash it out tomorrow morning.

So, as I'm oiling my scalp and hair I found a few odd hairs. They're much darker than the rest of my hair (even at the regrowth point) and about twice the thickness of my other strands. Also, their cuticles seem to lay much more flat and smooth than my other strands and they're stronger.

Random weirdness? :shrug:

Asequui
November 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM
So update on the blend. And, I'm thinking I should have put this over in the herbal haircare section. Mods, should I ask for it to be moved or is it fine where it is?

I decided to let the oil sit in my hair for as long as possible and just washed it out about half an hour ago. I gotta say, it took 3 CO washes to get the heavy oil feeling out. Maybe it was the apricot oil, it did seem thicker and heavier than the other ones...Anyhow, I noticed right off the bat that my hair is much easier to comb out. The comb just slid right through, no tangles, snags, nothing.

I didn't use my regular argan/coconut oil after-wash oiling so we'll see how it dries.

akilina
November 10th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Thats funny about your mutant hairs!! wish i had more to offer other than i think the oils you used sound really good blended together!
i wish i had more oils available to me. i live in a small town (Reno is only a half hour away) but i avoid that place like the plague! i hate the traffic. every time i go i have to make a big list
i think i want to get coconut oil again and jojoba oil this next time!