PDA

View Full Version : For the past few days...

GabrielleRose
November 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
I've been doing heavy oilings with coconut oil, then washing it away with just shampoo and have had some WONDERFUL volume! I love it!

Does anyone know why this "method" has caused these results?

Do you think I can continue to get these results, or will it all just build up?

DreamDance
November 9th, 2011, 08:18 PM
I use coconut oil in my hair every night and CO it out in the morning. I clarify about every 2 months just on principle, I don't notice any more build up than normal when I started using coconut oil daily.

PixxieStix
November 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I believe there are many who use "oil shampoo", where they mix their shampoo of choice with a 50/50 ratio of shampoo to coconut oil for the results you are talking about. The one time I used it I accidentally used more oil than shampoo, but after the second washing it was terrific! I don't see why you wouldn't keep getting those results.

For more details on why it works I would check out the oil shampooing thread floating around here somewhere. :D

Intransigentia
November 10th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I mix coconut oil into my shampoo, and then put more coconut oil on my wet hair after. I've been doing it for months and months with continued good results. My mix is Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo and coconut oil, probably a bit more shampoo than oil. I pre-mix mine and shake it up just before squeezing it into my hair.

GabrielleRose
November 17th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I use coconut oil in my hair every night and CO it out in the morning. I clarify about every 2 months just on principle, I don't notice any more build up than normal when I started using coconut oil daily.

Oh wow, that is great!

I believe there are many who use "oil shampoo", where they mix their shampoo of choice with a 50/50 ratio of shampoo to coconut oil for the results you are talking about. The one time I used it I accidentally used more oil than shampoo, but after the second washing it was terrific! I don't see why you wouldn't keep getting those results.

For more details on why it works I would check out the oil shampooing thread floating around here somewhere. :D

So far I couldn't get the shampoo oil method to work for me, but I am happy it works for others.

I mix coconut oil into my shampoo, and then put more coconut oil on my wet hair after. I've been doing it for months and months with continued good results. My mix is Neutrogena anti-residue shampoo and coconut oil, probably a bit more shampoo than oil. I pre-mix mine and shake it up just before squeezing it into my hair.

I am happy that your method works for you, I just couldn't get it to work for me. Too many tangles, tried the wrong shampoos with it and once I used the right one my hair came out horrible.
:(

longhairedlady
November 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I do the same thing, but with EVOO.

GabrielleRose
November 18th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I do the same thing, but with EVOO.

Do you just shampoo it out as well? If so, what shampoo do you use if you don't mind me asking?

spidermom
November 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I don't know if you can expect to get the same results. The only certainty I know is change.

GabrielleRose
November 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I don't know if you can expect to get the same results. The only certainty I know is change.

Well, I haven't kept up with this because I haven't found a gentle cone free shampoo that won't dry me out. Baby shampoo sure dried me out!

RitaPG
November 18th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I couldn't get the oil shampoo to work for me either, but I do the exact same method you do, heavy oilings and then washing (sometimes CO and sometimes shampoo) and get along wonderfully with it, no buildup at all :D

coffinhert
November 18th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I have just started heavily oiling my scalp and length with coconut and castor oil. I CO it out, instead of shampoo, but I have amazing volume now. My hair has never been this shiny and healthy from root to tip :)

longhairedlady
November 19th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Do you just shampoo it out as well? If so, what shampoo do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I shampoo, condition, rinse, condition again, cold water rinse. I use dove shine boost shampoo and conditioner. I will occasionally use Head and Shoulders 2-in-1 dry scalp formula as a shampoo, then my dove conditioner. I only shampoo the scalp area. I havent had any build problems. My hair is super happy with oilings. :)

GabrielleRose
November 19th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I couldn't get the oil shampoo to work for me either, but I do the exact same method you do, heavy oilings and then washing (sometimes CO and sometimes shampoo) and get along wonderfully with it, no buildup at all :D

May I ask what shampoo and conditioner you use? We seem to have about the same hair type.

I have just started heavily oiling my scalp and length with coconut and castor oil. I CO it out, instead of shampoo, but I have amazing volume now. My hair has never been this shiny and healthy from root to tip :)

Congratulations!!!

I shampoo, condition, rinse, condition again, cold water rinse. I use dove shine boost shampoo and conditioner. I will occasionally use Head and Shoulders 2-in-1 dry scalp formula as a shampoo, then my dove conditioner. I only shampoo the scalp area. I havent had any build problems. My hair is super happy with oilings. :)

That's great! I'm trying the Dove nourishing oil shampoo and conditoner not sure I really like it though... I think my hair doesn't like cones any more.

RitaPG
November 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM
May I ask what shampoo and conditioner you use? We seem to have about the same hair type.
When I shampoo, I use Rainforest Radiance from the Body Shop (sls free) and sometimes use Garnier Ultra Mild to clarify (it contains sls)

As for conditioners, I go between Rainforest Moisture and a Banana conditioner, both from the Body shop. I also use several Garnier Ultra Mild conditioners (all cone free), and use Gliss Asia Straight (has protein) and Elvive Nutri Gloss (also has protein and light on the cones).
I find that my hair likes lots of moisture and protein but not too much cones so I only use coney conditioners once in a while to keep tangles away.

GabrielleRose
November 20th, 2011, 01:32 PM
When I shampoo, I use Rainforest Radiance from the Body Shop (sls free) and sometimes use Garnier Ultra Mild to clarify (it contains sls)

As for conditioners, I go between Rainforest Moisture and a Banana conditioner, both from the Body shop. I also use several Garnier Ultra Mild conditioners (all cone free), and use Gliss Asia Straight (has protein) and Elvive Nutri Gloss (also has protein and light on the cones).
I find that my hair likes lots of moisture and protein but not too much cones so I only use coney conditioners once in a while to keep tangles away.

Thank you for telling me your routine. :)

Can you ordre body shop products online?

I think my hair likes lots of moisture as well, but lately it seems like it needs more protein. I'm thinking my hair needs more protein, because my strands seem to get pretty stretchy when wet.

RitaPG
November 20th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Thank you for telling me your routine. :)

Can you ordre body shop products online?

I think my hair likes lots of moisture as well, but lately it seems like it needs more protein. I'm thinking my hair needs more protein, because my strands seem to get pretty stretchy when wet.
I'm not sure, since I always go to the local store, but you can probably order online, yes.
If you're looking for protein conditioners, look for things that have hydrolyzed protein, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein or keratin. I don't think the Body Shop does that kind of products though.

GabrielleRose
November 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure, since I always go to the local store, but you can probably order online, yes.
If you're looking for protein conditioners, look for things that have hydrolyzed protein, silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein or keratin. I don't think the Body Shop does that kind of products though.

Ok, thanks!

I picked up Suave coconut because I believe it has protein, so I will be trying it for CO tonight.