PDA

View Full Version : Layers...do you love them or hate them?

Kat Girl
November 9th, 2011, 05:30 PM
What are your experiences with layers?

akilina
November 9th, 2011, 05:38 PM
its a love hate relationship. ive always had short layers even when my hair was longer. i cut off another half inch of them the other night myself because they really needed it now i feel like they are super short. im a hair stylist and i dont trust anyone to cut my hair accept for this guy who is 5 1/2 hours away in my home town! id really like to grow them out though now or atleast get them to be longer layers.

InTheCity
November 9th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Hate!

"Layers" can mean 7 zillion different things and for a common sense (when layers go all the way around your head), you DEFINITELY need enough thickness to pull it off.

"Layers" can easily mean around your face, as opposed to around your head, so unless you know how to describe which of the 7 zillion types to your stylist, they can become a nightmare.

Oh, and the amount of layers plus the difference in length between them can vary so greatly... you see what I'm getting at.

UltraBella
November 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Love, love, LOVE layers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I find it very easy to ask for the layers I want. I want long blended layers with additional face framing layers. My stylist is highly skilled and very trustworthy and I always see her only, so I always get what I want. I would hate my hair if it wasn't for my layers.

ellen732
November 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I love having long layers. It gives my hair a bit more of a style instead of just overwhelming me at one length all around. I have grown them out but always wind up putting them back in, even if it means they stick out of my braids and buns a bit.

Amarante
November 9th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I'm growing mine out. They drive me insane because they stick out of braids/buns easily, and they make your hair feel so thin on the ends. :(
I'm loving how thick my hair is where it's all one length, and can't wait till they [layers] are only a memory for me. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM
I had my hair all at one length until the middle of October when I went and had layers put in. They are very similar to UltraBella's, actually pretty much the same, except my layers are longer. :) I like them! But then again, I have very thick hair. After I had them done my hair was much easier to comb and my head was much lighter.

SteelRose
November 9th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I have a real love/hate relationship with them. Right now I'm on the hate side of it because the layers I have make the braids and updos I want to try even more difficult than my thick hair already does. I always like my hair to look really sleek in styles and all the ends sticking out makes that impossible!

But when I used to wear my hair down more I loved them because they were the only thing that gave my heavy, frizzy hair any shape.

turtlelover
November 9th, 2011, 05:52 PM
My hair is too thick to look good without layers. I get a pyramid shape look without them. Not good.

Kelikea
November 9th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I like layers. I used to always want my hair one-length, straight across and it bugged me that no one wanted to cut it that way. They would always try to talk me into the "face framing" kind only longer since my hair was hip length. I always thought they made my ends look thin. Now, I like them. It has to do with finding the 1/zillion kind of layers that you like. And the fact that my head is small but my hair is big and no layers looks like a Christmas tree (like a triangle)! I am also liking my very long "fringe" which is now shoulder length or going on apl because it lightens the "pull" of updos.

ange1ito
November 9th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I used to love them until my shedding catastrophe. If you have thick hair I would definitely go for i as they do look beautiful.

MissManda
November 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I like how layers look on others, but when I had them, I couldn't stand them. Even though my hair is fairly thick, the the layers needed to be styled with heat and products to look nice because of my straightish texture. Plus I think the stylist used the thinning shears too much, so my unstyled hair looked very unhealthy. Since I don't have the skill or patience to style my whole head that way, it didn't work for me at all. Oh, and growing them out was a PITA.

I might get layers again someday if I get tired of one length hair and if I find a style that I like and suits my hair type. For the time being, though, I'm just going to stick with a blunt U since I don't need any assistance to trim it.

uptosomeone
November 9th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Love hate relationship. Straight they make my hair look thin, but they make it look so much better when it's curled. I'm still not entirely sure if I'm going to go with no layers or layers after I grow them out.

Cainwen
November 9th, 2011, 06:06 PM
love/hate relationship. Absolutely necessary at shorter lengths, and they make it so I *can* wear my hair down without it turning into a hair monster. But at between waist and hip, they are a nuisance for buns and especially a nuisance for braid.

HuggyBear
November 9th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I love layers but, alas, I do not have the thickness for them. :(

Freckled.Thing
November 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I think that layers add a lot of movement to hair, so they look really nice when the hair's worn down. They're enormously frustrating when braiding though, so they're just not worth it for me.

dRummie
November 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Undecided. They look best on me for wearing hair down, but otherwise are a pain. Right now especially, since most are not long enough to be contained in a single braid. I'm hoping I'll like them more when they're longer, since I don't expect to have single-length hair any time soon for the sake of the curls.

aisha.christine
November 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I love my layers. They make it so my hair is not so heavy, and they add nice shape to my hair when it's down. Since my hair is still short, it's down quite often. I don't really mind them sticking out of my braid, I kind of like the messy look of my braids. But, alas, I also have thick, curlier hair. :shrug:

blondie9912
November 9th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I like having slight layers, because I am not a fan of a blunt hemline on myself. Light layering just makes my hair more airy and gives it more movement and flow :)

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I have layers in the sides of my hair. I didn't have mine cut in my hair grows at a v shaped. I love them they are natural.

teal
November 9th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Undecided. I don't think I really have enough hair to rock layers without product, but on the other hand whenever I've had a blunt hemline cut I've suddenly had this uncontrollable urge to chop chop chop. So I keep the layers because I want to grow. Now that my hair is longer I'm wondering if a U or V hemline would help abate that feeling. For now, though, I'm keeping the layers. The longest layer has the most damage and I'm fairly certain that if I aggressively S&D the other layers will eventually catch up.

shackleford
November 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Like someone said earlier, it's a love/hate relationship. I know that layers will work best for my hair type when its longer... but right now, I have a layer almost to chin and a billion layers in between that and one at almost APL, such a nightmare. They are very hard to keep neat.

unheardletters
November 9th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Right now, I hate them because no matter what I they always stick out of updo's, making protecting my poor overdestroyed ends even worse.

SilentGuardian
November 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
At the current length of my hair, I really dislike them. I can't do a good braid at all because of them. I'm growing them out for sure. I could cut to the shortest layer now, but my hair will be back at SL, where I started last year. I think my layers grow faster than hair lower down on my scalp, so maybe I won't have to do such a drastic cut in the future.

Metallia
November 9th, 2011, 08:03 PM
My hair is too thick to look good without layers. I get a pyramid shape look without them. Not good.
When I wore my hair shorter, I got pyramid-hair, too, unless I had layers. In fact, the last time I got the urge to cut my hair, my husband specifically mentioned the pyramid effect. :roll:
When it's long, though, one length is the way to go for me. When I wear my hair down, it's usually with bits of it pinned back, so I get a bit of layering effect in that way. Otherwise layers drive me mad in braids and when my hair is pulled back into a bun or ponytail.

hendricks82
November 9th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hate.

they make my hair look to thin and always grow out weird. My hair looks so much healthier and thicker at one length.

However... for some reason every so often I get them cut it because they look so cute on everyone else. Me and my stylist have together decided that we won't do it again LOL

Shermie Girl
November 9th, 2011, 09:08 PM
I absolutely loathe my layers. they were cut for a good reason; I just needed to finally, at long last get rid of my yukky, damaged hair from my henna removal attempt disaster and my idiotic attempts for months afterward to make my roots blend with plain peroxide. (Yes, I am certifiable, why do you ask? :lol:) It's nice to have the last vestiges of that time gone from my hair.

Now I have to get rid of these frakking layers! :cool:

Rockmoss
November 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I like the layers with my waves, but I haaaaaaaate them for braids. I really cannot braid at all right now! So mine are being grown out :D

celebriangel
November 9th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Hate! Hatehatehate! On myself, you understand. On other people they look nice, but on me they just give my hair more opportunity to misbehave. Also, I like the idea of thick hair all the way down with as little taper as possible.

Even my deep u shaped blunt hem is annoying me right now because in braids it looks like I have a layer close to the bottom so I have to make my braid tassels longer than I would like.

Kapri
November 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I love the fact that they can create width and break up the way the hair falls onto my face which is flattering for my face shape. I don't like the result when it comes to the thickness of my hair. It is an on-going tussle. I am growing them down but will miss the gentler shape coming on to my face, if that makes sense!

kanaka
November 10th, 2011, 12:16 AM
Hate!

I lost my thickness because of these layers. at first i am in love with them but now i want to grow them back because they stick out of updos no matter what i do and mostly i want my thickness back.

i have front layers which is so irritating, even if i pony my hair they just fall on my face making me more irritated.i am unable to braid my hair as well, only french braid is the option but i cant do it myself :(

joflakes
November 10th, 2011, 12:24 AM
I actually quite like them when I'm looking at BSL length and below hair. I think it looks cute to have some that frame the face. I appreciate it is probably a PITA with regards to braiding etc, though!

*Seraphina*
November 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Layers don't work for my hair. It looks very thin when I got layers, I am almost lost them all now :)

Hairwish
November 10th, 2011, 04:36 AM
Definitely not a fan of layers..but just because they make my hair look so thin! Hopefully, in a couple of years I'll get rid of them..

Gabriel
November 10th, 2011, 05:06 AM
Personally, I love my layers.

tori93
November 10th, 2011, 05:28 AM
my hair is so thick i don't like it unless i get layers to thin it out a bit otherwise my hair will just stick outwards. It also makes it quicker to wash/dry.

Avital88
November 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
i need them around my face,else it gets so long in the face, but my braid tassle is thin and my hemline is never blunt and that are things i dont like, in the front my layers start with lip length then some chin and the rest is mostly shoulder length,then i have some old layers that are at waist which i dont touch and let them grow.. if i would grow out all my layers i would have a lot of hair and my face would be invisible so overal im happy with them :D

Earth Angel
November 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I hate layers on me, my hair is far too fine for them. It made my hair look very wispy and started breaking a lot more :( Its been 4 years and I'm still trying to grow them out :confused:

Lucky
November 10th, 2011, 06:02 AM
It depends on how they're cut. When my hair was longer and I had some soft, face framing layers, I loved them, they really softened the way my hair fell in front but were long enough that they didn't bother me for updos.

However, I recently got an unintentionally super layered cut more along the lines of this (http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1152&bih=745&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=uHPOntEWUnv0gM:&imgrefurl=http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-90s/images/371396&docid=VTJPrcpnhNRVLM&imgurl=http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/The--Rachel--Haircut-the-90s-371396_235_315.jpg&w=235&h=315&ei=Oci7TrnREY6m8gOu_MCgBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=788&vpy=180&dur=379&hovh=189&hovw=136&tx=97&ty=137&sig=115943176126172965857&page=1&tbnh=165&tbnw=116&start=0&ndsp=19&ved=1t:429,r:5,s:0) So I really, really dislike layers right now, and I probably will for the next year or even more as I grow this mess out.

Rosetta
November 10th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Neither :) Meaning it depends, they can be good or bad (like most things in life...).
I dislike the way hairdressers seem to always recommend them as a panacea of some kind, but they do have their uses, for many of us (to some more than others). I myself prefer basically all-one-length hair with just a few face-framing ones.

Mayflower
November 10th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I love them because they give me great waves and long lasting curls if I want to. They also give me lots of volume because I have a lot of hair, and without some layers it would all be just a mass of hair.

I hate them because my longest layer is really thin, I can't do proper braids 'cause my SL layers stick out in an uncharming way. I just have too many layers and they're a pain to grow out.

But, I think I will always have layers in my hair, just a little less preferably (and a bit longer). I find most hair without layers and bangs a bit boring because they do bring some life into it. But that's just my opinion.

sbhonda
November 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I liked the long layers I used to have in my long hair. My hair is thick and heavy enough that the weight removed by some layers made my head feel better.

But my hair is shoulder length and very layered now since I cut off bleach damage, and I don't like it. I don't like that I have ends all up and down my head; it makes my hair look less smooth. And it's nearly impossible to put my hair up when I really need to get it back and out of the way.

When my hair gets longer again I will probably want it layered, but less layered.

Corvus
November 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM
I wear my hair down all the time, so I have to have layers - and I love them!! Without layers my hair just looks boring!!!

PinkyCat
November 10th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Some women can just rock them - like SJP - her layers are just amazing.

On me - not so much - they actually make my hair look thinner instead of bigger. Huge dissapointment. :(r

BabyRay33
November 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
They look nice on other people, but my hair is just too thin to handle them well. I want to find out how it looks blunt before I get them cut in again. My longest ones are my bangs that are about 2" below my chin. LOOOOONG wait.

ladonna
November 10th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I love layer's because my hair is so thick that I also get the pyramid look. When my hair was long I had the shortest layer at shoulder length, right now my shortest layer is chin length and makes my face look fatter :/ oh well, it still looks better than when the layer was at the top of my ear.

Chamy
November 10th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I think they can look crazygood on other people, but as for me i would never get them again. I been down the layers road before, and it's just not for me. I love it when i can take all my hair in my hand and run my fingers down it without the feeling of it thinning out. Plus i really like a thick and even hemline. :)

karenpetal
November 10th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I have a love hate relationship with layers ... hahhah ... I want to get them when my hair is all one length for style and looks but some weeks after I have got them ... i am desperate to grow them out. Currently I am growing out hair after a big chop with layers ... cant wait to get all my hair same length -

If you tend to leave your hair down a lot - layers look great but if you like to braid it or bun .. layers are a hassle

ImperatrixMundi
November 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Wouldn't like them on myself, but I had a teacher once with long brown wavy/curly hair in layers. Absolutely beautiful!

Clelia
November 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I don't really mind them... but I have plenty, and I hate them. They just ruin my braids and buns, I can't wait to grow them out.

Since I cut them myself about two years ago, it's my own fault, but still...

luluj
November 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I love my layers, they give my hair attitude!

heartgoesboom
November 10th, 2011, 11:40 AM
i'll go with love and hate. i love how they look, but they make me feel like my hair is so short. i'm more with loving it right now though :)

moon2dove
November 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I loved my layers when I was blow drying and straightening my hair - and my hair was shorter.
Now I'm growing my hair out 'naturally' I can't wait for them to grow out.
At the moment they still look pretty good if I wear my hair down, ( which is rare these days) because I have curly/wurly hair.
When I get to waist length and I think I might need them again, I will get my hair re-layered. :)

Kristin
November 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM
LOVE them! I finally worked up the nerve to get my hair re-layered (long, blended layers) and my hair is so much lighter and has more volume. It now also holds a curl in the front, which had become problematic in the last year or so. I could see why someone with thinner hair and/or an inexperienced stylist would hate layers, though.

Lici1209
November 10th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Loooooove :]

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Layers and I don't get along. Believe it or not, layers are what gives me triangle head. When my hair is one length* and cut well, it weights itself down so that it lays nicely, whether my hair is long or short.

*When I say one length, I suppose I am overstating slightly. For my hair to lay best, I think what my stylist does is layer the last inch, which makes the ends curl under nicely

battles
November 10th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I love how they look, but I plan on a lot of braids.. So I think I'll avoid them when my hair is longer.

Diamond.Eyes
November 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
I currently have some layers in my hair and I really like them a lot. It gives my hair so much more dimension then one-length hair would. I had my hair all one length, minus my bangs, about a year and a half ago and it just looked boring to me :shrug:. Layers are fun and compliment my face a lot better. :)

geminiwoman
November 10th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Love layers! My hair is not super-duper thick, but it's thick and heavy enough that I need layers to take off a lot of weight and look decent. Every 5 years or so I get it in my head I'm going to try a blunt cut, no layers. Then I laugh and laugh and laugh at myself and have my layers put back in a couple days later! :D I am actually way overdue to go get a little trim and have my layers redone, they've been growing out for many months now and have gotten all annoying.