PDA

View Full Version : New Blowdrier question...

Kat Girl
November 9th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Ok, first off I know everyone says blowdriers are the enemy, and I agree they're not great for hair. I have been doing well to avoid them and my policy is if its too hot to touch my skin then its too hot to touch my hair. I have baby fine super delicate hair that is wavy and easy to mess up. I do air dry it, but when I do blow dry it, its sooo much prittier, easier to manage, and gets tangled less. REecently my old blowdrier broke so I found a new one that I love. Its ionic, ceramic, and tourmaline. It has lower heat settings so I can dry my hair fast with almost no heat. I use a medium heat that is not hot at all and then finish on cool. So far it is making my hair beautiful, and it tangles and breaks far less. But my question is is it still damaging my hair (even without the heat)? Or could it be making it better?

MrsGuther
November 9th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Blow drying on a cooler setting every once in a while isn't bad in my opinion. Especially if blow drying doesn't tangle your particular head of hair. :)

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Blow drying on a cooler setting every once in a while isn't bad in my opinion. Especially if blow drying doesn't tangle your particular head of hair. :)

I agree with this.

akilina
November 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I agree also ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
idk....i usually blow dry if i wash at night because its very cold where i live now and i cant stand going to bed with wet hair. i have short layers so my hair looks atrocious in the morning :D
i figure if im going to do one bad thing then it will have to be blow drying. i do try to do it on low flow setting and low heat

ange1ito
November 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I blow dry on the lowest setting with this, it's just like a really cool fan:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31FNvvOy-qL._SS500_.jpg

I only use it to dry the roots because I hate going to work with dripping hair. I have been using it for about a year. The only damage I notice is right at my very ends where I have permanent dye and Color B4 application. I noticed since I have been oiling splits have decreased significantly, even though I'm blow drying it. I could only find about 3 or 4 in the face framing layers...so it can't be that bad :hifive:

blondie9912
November 9th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Blowdrying your hair isn't all that damaging, it's the manipulation combined with the heat that will cause damage over time (think of a round brush yanking at your hair while at the hair salon). Drying your hair on low heat isn't bad, especially if you just dry it with your fingers and not a brush. I would also suggest just drying your hair to 'finish off' the drying process- perhaps let your hair air dry 80% of the way, and then dry it with your blowdryer the last 20%. Believe it or not, this will actually make your hair look just as good as if you were to fully dry it with a blowdryer, but is less damaging over time.

Good luck :D

PixxieStix
November 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
All good advice, and I agree with it. I use my blow dryer on cool every few weeks when my hair isn't dry enough for me to leave the house yet because it is cold outside. I hate wet hair in cold weather. It can be great for "finishing" if you use it properly.

Oddly enough though, what I use it for most is drying off my rings after I've given them a good cleaning. 30 seconds or so on high heat, high power leaves my engagement ring sooooo sparkly after it gets cleaned, and avoids hard water buildup on my center stone. :D