PDA

View Full Version : Dying with plant dye... + Moisture treatments...

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 11:48 AM
So, I plan on dying my hair to cover up henna with brown plant dye this Friday, hopefully, if my DR gives me the go ahead about it being as safe as I think it is.

It says that I have to blow dry my hair while the dye is on it, think I could use a heat cap instead? I hate hair dryers.. I find it gets way too warm...

Also, I plan on leaving my regular CO on with the heat cap the day before I dye to seal in some moisture. I also plan on doing this after I dye my hair, probably right after. Do you think I should wait to do another deep CO treatment after I dye to let the dye set or do you think this won't affect the dye setting at all? Do you think it will help with what damage I can get from plant dye?

Thank you. Sorry for all my questions... :rolleyes:

Kilandra
November 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM
What kind of plant dye is it? Or did I miss that being mentioned?

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 01:24 PM
What kind of plant dye is it? Or did I miss that being mentioned?

It's called Palette By Nature. It's various herbs and plant dyes.

Kilandra
November 9th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I checked around just a smidge on that dye and it looks like it has some mixed reviews in general. Sounds good in theory though - no ppd and all but, I'm wondering if the conditioner before hand might interfere with whatever effectiveness it has?

If it's a deposit only dye, then my understanding is that similar to henna it would just sit on top of the hair shaft. Which means - it won't remove the henna underneath. You may end up with red hair again after some washes. And doing a deep conditioner might effect how it sits on the hair shaft (cones I would think would be a prime culprit here?).

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I checked around just a smidge on that dye and it looks like it has some mixed reviews in general. Sounds good in theory though - no ppd and all but, I'm wondering if the conditioner before hand might interfere with whatever effectiveness it has?

If it's a deposit only dye, then my understanding is that similar to henna it would just sit on top of the hair shaft. Which means - it won't remove the henna underneath. You may end up with red hair again after some washes. And doing a deep conditioner might effect how it sits on the hair shaft (cones I would think would be a prime culprit here?).

hmmm... I know henna only sits on the hair shaft, and I know this dye will as well, but shouldn't a dark colour in theory drown the red out? In theory, I mean. I've already tried indigo, and that didn't work.

Anyone else have any experience/advice?

Also, if henna only coats the hair shaft, then how come it's permanent??? Shouldn't this dye, in theory, be permanent as well then?

Kilandra
November 9th, 2011, 02:17 PM
If you've used indigo with henna, you may have had the same experience as I have where the indigo would wash out within 2-3 weeks and leave you with a reddish color. Henna seems to have a staying power in regards to hair :)

Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas