PDA

View Full Version : When looking at a shed hair strand...

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I was looking a one of my shed hair strands the other day, and I was running it between my fingers and I felt all these bumps on it... I don't get it... Is this normal? I don't remember my hair feeling that this a couple of years ago, but who knows? This is not the first time I've noticed this with my hair, it having bumps in the strands... Or rather not bumps, but definitely not straight smoothness... Does it have something to do with my hair being wavy, or something to do with past damage? :confused:

Could it have something to do with hennaing?

is this NORMAL?

I figured after years of noticing this I'd ask you guys...

Maktub
November 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I think it's just one of those weird textured hair ! I have these too :P

infinity_girl
November 9th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Do you mean the hair strand feels wiry like it has been crimped/warped? I get a lot of these and they tend to be very thick hairs. I think this is really normal. Do you have curly hair or is it straight? I am curly and I get a lot of these.

jesis
November 9th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I posted a thread about this earlier this year. I have pretty wavy hair, so I think it might be texture, but it also could be buildup. I never really found out, but I don't think it is damage..

jesis
November 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62703&page=3

there's a link to mine, it might have some answers in it!

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=62703&page=3

there's a link to mine, it might have some answers in it!

Thanks for the link!

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Do you mean the hair strand feels wiry like it has been crimped/warped? I get a lot of these and they tend to be very thick hairs. I think this is really normal. Do you have curly hair or is it straight? I am curly and I get a lot of these.

All my strands feel like this, so far. I looked at about 10 shed hairs. And it's been doing it for years. My hair is wavy... You think it could be that?

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I have had hairs that are bent.

Mythica
November 9th, 2011, 02:41 PM
I noticed the same thing with my hair! I agree with jesis that it doesn't seem like actual damage. My hair en masse feels alright and is usually relatively smooth(ish), and my diet isn't awful. However, I have a lot of thick hairs and my mother's hair is rather coarse, so there's also the possibility that it's genetic rather than damage. I've noticed that the fine hairs on my head don't usually have the little bumpies, so maybe it's just part of the texture.

But it also showed up relatively recently (last couple of years--that or I only noticed within the last couple of years) so I'm considering the possibility that it's my body reaching the end of the whole puberty cycle thing and it's just a hormonal shift as my body adjusts.

For the most part, I've just been waiting to see what happens. My hair seems to be pretty happy otherwise, so I'm not too worried. :shrug:
Granted, I've found one or two extremely coarse, short mutant hairs, but I simply plucked them and haven't seen any more. :cheese: