PDA

View Full Version : Pre raphealite hair ?

darkrose
November 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
My dream has always been to have hair like the woman I'm the paintings, and now my hair is just below bsl and really thick and I'm thinking I might be able to get my hair like theirs. Does anyone know any ways woman used to style their hair and look after it in the pre raphealit era? how many times would they wash it, braid before bed ect.

Thank you !:)))

Madora
November 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Dante Gabriel Rossetti and his fellow PRB often painted their lovelies with long, flowing hair.

As for their hair care, I've never read anything specific. They probably used either pure boar bristle brushes or combs and didn't shampoo as much as we do in this century.

sibiryachka
November 9th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I recently found this tidbit in a Wikipedia article about henna:

"In Europe, henna was popular among women connected to the aesthetic movement and the Pre-Raphaelite artists of England in the 1800s. The fashion for Orientalism led young women with a bohemian inclination to begin tinting their hair with henna.[10] Dante Gabriel Rosetti's wife and muse, Elizabeth Siddal, had naturally bright red hair. Contrary to the cultural tradition in Britain that considered red hair unattractive, the Pre-Raphaelites ******ized red hair. Siddal was portayed by Rosetti in many paintings that emphasized her flowing red hair.[11]The other Pre-Raphaelites, including Frederic Leighton, Evelyn de Morgan, Anthony Frederick Augustus Sandys, and French painters such as Gaston Bussière (painter) and the Impressionists further popularized the association of henna-dyed hair and young bohemian women."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

As a lifelong fan of the pre-Raphaelites (totally my hair inspiration), this made me very happy indeed.

darkrose
November 9th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Wow, I didn't realise they used henna back then. And I'm so glad I purchased a boar brush when I was in Germany. Thanks :)

GlennaGirl
November 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I recently found this tidbit in a Wikipedia article about henna:

"In Europe, henna was popular among women connected to the aesthetic movement and the Pre-Raphaelite artists of England in the 1800s. The fashion for Orientalism led young women with a bohemian inclination to begin tinting their hair with henna.[10] Dante Gabriel Rosetti's wife and muse, Elizabeth Siddal, had naturally bright red hair. Contrary to the cultural tradition in Britain that considered red hair unattractive, the Pre-Raphaelites ******ized red hair. Siddal was portayed by Rosetti in many paintings that emphasized her flowing red hair.[11]The other Pre-Raphaelites, including Frederic Leighton, Evelyn de Morgan, Anthony Frederick Augustus Sandys, and French painters such as Gaston Bussière (painter) and the Impressionists further popularized the association of henna-dyed hair and young bohemian women."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henna

As a lifelong fan of the pre-Raphaelites (totally my hair inspiration), this made me very happy indeed.

Ooh. I loved this little snippet, thanks for posting it.