PDA

View Full Version : Hair Regrets?

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I was thinking about what I regret doing to my hair, like dying it for months with chemical dye just to make it orange, and straightening the s**t out of it... I have so much damage now, and even though I'm growing it out, and plan on going natural, this damage won't be totally cut off for another 5-6 years... (Because i refuse to chop it off all in one go. rather "maintain" at TBL). It's making me kind of depressed. I also regret hennaing it...

How about you guys? Any regrets that you have to live with? I know a bunch of you are growing out dye, or have been addicted to blow drying, etc...

I hate seeing the damage in my hair every day :(

Madora
November 9th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I regret that my hair is not totally one length but I've no one to blame but myself. When I wanted to cut off some of my braid length I just whacked off the ends without undoing them first and wound up with some hair that is 6 inches shorter than the rest of my hair. Of course I knew better, but was going thru a bad patch and just wanted to chop. Talk about idiotic!

gthlvrmx
November 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Getting individual braids :( Ugh! So bad for me! Im still not at my original thickness still after 1 whole year. Hey! It's almost been a year since i found LHC!
It's sort of a regret.
Getting layers. All these years. Yeah.

The mechanical and chemical damage i got in high school from the wack load of gel, hairspray, raking my comb through my hair, ponytails, bobby pins, and overload of shampoo all the time. It's surprising how my hair was still very thick with the amount of pulling i had going on on my scalp....i preferred tight ponytails.

akilina
November 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hmm....short layers. especially i regret cutting off a half inch off all my already short layers yesterday (although, much needed),
going back and forth from black to blond over the last 5 years, flat ironing everyday, not going on LHC for a year, etc...
im taking good care of it now though :]
and im really excited!!! i have henna on my head right now for the first time!!

Tea Lady
November 9th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I had to grow out chemical dye damage too. For me, what worked was to keep the length well conditioned, I eventually started using henna for color and conditioning, and then did tiny trims and S&D. You will be surprised by how quickly your hair will start to look better with a little TLC!

Tea Lady

joflakes
November 9th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Forgetting my nice all natural shampoo bar and having to wash with a SLS-laden shampoo this morning, my hair feels weirdly slippy. Like it has some kind of lube on it. *shudder*
Not good.

Lucky
November 9th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Coloring, getting highlights- that was a HUGE mistake - which led to then coloring over them, which led to quite a bit of damage, which led to me deciding to cut the damage off, but ended up with lots of layers (that I didn't ask for, somehow there was a huge mis-communication, or this particular hair dresser's hair style references stopped at The Rachel).

SteelRose
November 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
All the layers in my hair. I really like braiding and all the layers make it a huge pain! One day I'll get back to one length. I just couldn't stand to chop it to do it.

Fireweed
November 9th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Henna, not the best thing for my hair.

Blond On Blond
November 9th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Definitely coloring/bleaching. It took me a while to grow my damage out.

morrigan*
November 9th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I regret that i bleached my hair last spring to made it orange. It was quite a nice colour inded but agh. Before that was few months that i didn't color my hair and then i colored it several times in orange.

leeyah
November 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I regret colouring my hair with a chemical dye - mainly because it made my hair really coarse and dull and I started shedding like crazy, but also because - as I am now realising - I really miss my natural hair colour, because it was pretty unique, no dye would ever give me such colour.

I also regret chopping off most than half of my lenght - I was past BSL when I dyed my hair for the first time, and the resulting damage made me cut it to my shoulders. I miss my lenght and get pretty sad when I see people with long, beautiful hair. But I know that they will grow back, and I'll do anything to make them stronger and more beautiful than they ever were :)

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I regret those awful years during which I totally neglected my hair, wearing it in the same low ponytail every day, not trimming for years, and hardly disentangling. And I have fine hair :(.
Now I'm back to taking proper care of my hair, but I still got a fair number of split inches in my lower length (the ends are all right now I trim), and I hate it when I look at them closely. I've begun S&D'ing, but there's no way I'm going to take rid of all the splits in a short time...I hope that by maintaining at, say, classic, I will be able to get rid of all the damage slowly. There's the other option of cutting back to waist, but I think I'm not brave enough at the moment :). I've already gained a little more thickness since I started disentangling properly, fortunately, and the ends look so much better. It's the inches above my ends I'm worried about.
But I was thinking the other day, for all its being so fine, my hair must be fairly strong if it stills looks relatively good (some people have commented about my hair that 'It has no splits!!' Go figure!) after that many years of bad haircare...

spidermom
November 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
The first thing that came to mind was back in 1982 (give/take a year or two), I lived in St. Louis, and we were having the hottest, highest humidity summer on record. My hair was between APL and BSL with wispy bangs and beautiful! But even with it styled up, the weight of my hair felt stifling in that heat. I impulsively walked into a salon and told the stylist that I wanted it cut; it was killing me in the heat. And then I gave him free rein - "I don't care what you do. Turn me away from the mirror and surprise me."
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/80sc.jpg

Two days later, the heat wave ended.

Annalouise
November 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Moisture! Moisture! Moisture!

I regret that I didn't keep my hair moisturized! ( I live in the desert).

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I regret using all the heated appliances, hair stiffening agents, and chemicals I used. My hair has grown out the damages but I have curl left over from my perm. To get rid of the damage I had to cut it to shoulder length. That was 6 inches of hair.

moon2dove
November 9th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I regret using a hair dryer and straighteners nigh on every day for god knows how many years on my curly/wurly locks, because I wanted perfect straight hair! I am paying for it now, now I want waist length hair.

Purdy Bear
November 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I regret not appreciating my hair while I had it. Iv had Alopecia since I was 13 so felt really scraggy since then until I lost all my hair about 8 years ago.

All I can say is no matter what your hair is like, colour etc just appreciate it while its there cause you never know when you might have to shave it off or loose it through trauma or illness.

racrane
November 9th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Layers, highlighting, bangs, heat styling - I did all those things to try to "fit in". That upsets me more than the damage, almost. Because I hurt my hair just to feel normal.

I feel better about myself now that I'm doing what I like. :)

pepperminttea
November 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I regret that I didn't stop cutting my hair sooner. For years I told my hairdresser, "I'm trying to grow it out..." and I kept up the constant cycle of going back to her to have the damage cut off and ending up back where I'd started. It sounds so utterly stupid now, but treating my hair gently and wearing it up to protect from damage simply never occurred to me.

Unofficial_Rose
November 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Colour changes plus inadvisable hair cuts (to get rid of old colour, sometimes). I am often to be seen growing out some horrible haircut. The last one was an ear-length layered bob to get rid of henndigo that went black.

I don't regret the henndigo as it taught me that I look better with brown hair than blonde these days. But I had to cut it all off (twice!) because after a year it ended up too dark, no matter what I did.

So for now, I'll a) keep it brown b) stay away from henna c) avoid salons.

Baby
November 9th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I regret that i hennaed my hair, and then I regret that I tried to wash it out, now it is somewhat damaged. It is in some lightings back to my virgin color, but it still has that irritating orange sheen in some lightings. I feel so stupid for dying it couse I know I always regret it, even though I always long for red hair I feel more like me in my virgin brown. I also regret going back to shampoo for a while.

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I regret that i hennaed my hair, and then I regret that I tried to wash it out, now it is somewhat damaged. It is in some lightings back to my virgin color, but it still has that irritating orange sheen in some lightings. I feel so stupid for dying it couse I know I always regret it, even though I always long for red hair I feel more like me in my virgin brown. I also regret going back to shampoo for a while.

I regret using henna as well... And the way I kept using it so my roots wouldn't show. I tried to make it brown with indigo, but now my hair is a maroon with brown roots... Attempting to dye over it with brown plant dye this week... But i know I'll just have to wait and grow it all out in the next 6 years anyways.

MrsGuther
November 9th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I put a flat iron to my hair the other day after MONTHS of no heat styling. :( Now I'm founding a BUNCH of split ends and white dots! This is so frustrating to me. I hate this! Now my hair is feeling horrible and I'm so mad at myself!

Yozhik
November 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
My hair regrets are partially that I should have known ripping through my hair with a brush was not a good idea. No wonder I had so many split ends!

Mostly, though, I regret not being more adventurous with my hair, because now it's fairly long and I don't want to set myself back by doing something drastic, like trying out a shaved head (which I've been thinking about for ages).

Unofficial_Rose
November 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I regret using henna as well... And the way I kept using it so my roots wouldn't show. I tried to make it brown with indigo, but now my hair is a maroon with brown roots... Attempting to dye over it with brown plant dye this week... But i know I'll just have to wait and grow it all out in the next 6 years anyways.

Slight thread hijack: would you mind saying what brown plant dye you use? I've just used Surya henna cream as it is low-to-no-henna content but an alternative might be better. I want dark brown, no red.

Kilandra
November 9th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Hair Regrets:
1) going to a stylist for ANYTHING
2) Using a blowfryer almost every single day of my life since I was 13. (I stopped this in Jan 11)
3) Dying hair black
4) Henna
5) Trying to remove said black dye and henna/indigo to blonde
6) Cutting hair to 3inches because of #5

Oh yea, and not finding LHC until a couple of months ago...

Freckled.Thing
November 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't really say that I have any hair regrets.
It's been a pain growing out my bangs and layers, but I enjoyed both cuts, so I don't see any reason to regret it.

If anything I just wish that I found this site sooner. I've been living by benign neglect for years so I never really did a lot of damage to my hair, but all that rough wet brushing was anything but good.

Freckled.Thing
November 9th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I have to say, all these posts about regretting henna are really making me question my decision to henna my hair over winter break.

*goes over to the henna thread to look at all the beautiful red hair*

summergreen
November 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I really regret listening to my (then) hair stylist when he assured me it was fine to highlight over highlights over highlights etc, instead of just doing the roots he would pull the colour through some sections to 'brighten' it. And it got blonder and blonder and thinner and thinner. No doubt it didnt help that would also blowdry/straighten just about every day, because I wanted to look nice for everyday stuff I could have easily done with my hair pulled back or left to do its own thing. I have to admit I still never leave my hair to do its own thing, but at least braid waves are less damaging!

Curlsgirl
November 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I regret getting layers about a year ago. I HATED them and it made my ends thin and so I got it cut off even again and now it WON'T GROW or seems not to anyway. Sigh. I miss the length. It's still BSL but it FEELS so short compared to the waist length I had before the layers. Also I have a lot of short hair around my face which some stylist talked me into after that. It won't even go back into a french braid or high pony yet. As for highlighting I don't really regret it. I like my highlights. And I blow dry probably 3 to 4 times a month and it doesn't seem to make much difference in the health of my hair. I do have very resilient hair though and I baby it otherwise.

spidermom
November 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Hi Curlsgirl! It's always nice to see you dropped in!

Kilandra
November 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Freckled - if you *want* red hair and.. you don't have hard/mineraly water, have plenty of time to let it sit, lots of patience to rinse, lots of cheap conditioner to assist with the rinse - then in my humble newbie opinion, henna might be right for you.

If you don't genuinely want reddish tints to your hair, then I would urge cautious consideration. I tried to drown out the red in my henna with indigo to go dark brown or black. Needless to say it didn't work out for me personally. I also had hard water which meant that the henna rinsing phase was ripping my hair out in clumps :(

Keep in mind that this experience is just mine personally. Henna can be awesome but ya gotta do your research. Additionally, keep in mind that henna adds to your current color. For me, I was too much of a newbie to realize that my hair had a natural goldenish tint to it and adding red just made it a golden/red color! Which I hated :(

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Slight thread hijack: would you mind saying what brown plant dye you use? I've just used Surya henna cream as it is low-to-no-henna content but an alternative might be better. I want dark brown, no red.

I'm going us Palette by Nature. No chemicals, just herbs and plants :) Check out there site: http://palettebynature.com/

MissManda
November 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
My biggest hair regret was cutting off my beautiful, thick long hair into an ugly bob when I was twelve. I liked the style for maybe a day or two and have missed my hair ever since. :(

battles
November 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Keeping my hair mostly short for over 11 years. Not trying anything wilder when I was younger, like buzzing my hair. Recently? Cutting bangs back in. I liked them for awhile, but I want them gone now.

HairFaerie
November 9th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I regret cutting my shoulder length hair (that I grew from a platinum pixie) last year and getting ANOTHER platinum pixie.
I am almost at shoulder again right now and it's not platinum...but I keep imagining what my hair would have looked like if I hadn't lost that year of growth! :justy:

Oh, well. By this time next year, I hope to be at APL+!

aisha.christine
November 9th, 2011, 03:04 PM
I regret dying my hair black (multiple times) and repeated chemical dying. AGH. What a mistake.
And keeping my hair in a short pixie for so long.

einna
November 9th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I regret not taking good care of my hair while using chemical dye. Conventional haircare would be supergood compared to my S (often 2x) and C (dropped on occation because my hair was so soft with the dye - little did I know..), then a styling product and some hairspray on top when dry. Luckily this was some time ago now!

Elia
November 9th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Ohh wow I have a lot. Lets just say I didn't know much about hair, and I like to experiment with it in middle/early high school (I'm a senior now).
My biggest regrets-
-Bleaching it to dye it crazy colors, along with straightening almost every day.
-Purposely neglecting my hair for a few years because I was stubborn and thought that cutting split ends was stupid since I just wanted it long and didn't care if it was healthy.
-Also I used volumizing shampoo and conditioner everyday which I naively didn't realize dried out my hair even more. Kind of the dehydrated cherry on top of an even more dehydrated, dry, crumbly piece of cake.
My most recent though was not coming to LHC soon enough! I decided I was going to get serious about growing it long since obviously not cutting it just made it break and look crappier over time while staying the same length. Seriously, I was just shy of BSL for a good 2 years with hardly any cutting.
But yeah, I think the deciding pont that my hair was crap was when I was on the computer and my boyfriend somehow got the knotty dry mess of hair at the top of my head to stick straight up. Like a horn, of damaged, velcro-e hair. It was actually pretty funny though since I didn't notice him doing it.

marioma
November 9th, 2011, 03:23 PM
From where to begin !! i found the right place to complain ..first i regret cutting my beautiful curly hair when i was twelve , it was down my waist , one day I decided to chop it to my shoulders :( from this time i started using flat iron first it was few times a year then in the past four years i used to straighten it two times a week , now i m twenty , and I don't know how long it 'll take to regrow my hair to waist :( ,I regret damaging my hair every day , especially that there's wiry strands in my hair , may be the hair follicles are permanently damaged :S , sorry for complaining this long..

QueenOfTheSkye
November 9th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Gods, I haven't been alive long enough to regret things... Even so, I regret wearing it in a ponytail every single freaking day for about a year and a half. I have about nine inches of broken hair from where I would tie it super-tight and often redo it several times a day...always tugging and twisting!

Lildove
November 9th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I regret cutting "face framing layers" myself. They look more like bangs that I'm trying to grow out and with my natural wave they tend to look poofy and not flattering at all. I refuse to straighten them so I am forced to pin them back until they grow out.

Vanilla
November 9th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I regret getting bored with my long hair in college and starting the chemically treat it.

uptosomeone
November 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I regret never researching hair care for fine, thin hair until right now. I always assumed my hair would never grow and thus always had APL or shorter hair even though I wanted long hair. Had I done a bit of work I no doubt could have had BSL to WL hair right now--instead I'm struggling to grow out APL length hair that's damaged from straightening/curling that stemmed from dissatisfaction with how it looked.

Earelia
November 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Everything. -.- I regret bleaching the hell out of it a while back, cutting it too short too many times when I love long hair the most. I do somewhat regret using henna mainly because I can't get rid of it without frying my hair, the strand tests don't lie. I loved the condition it was in while using henna though and the color was beautiful. I guess I just can't deal with having a fixed hair color. I regret all the dying I did in general. I only have 2-3 inches of virgin hair atop my head and I wish it was more. :-( I still kind of wish I kept my dreadlocks... they would be longer by now. Or shorter. You never know. I'm gonna grow it out though... so the next time I do something I regret at least I'll know I've reached a goal before going hair crazy again.

jesis
November 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I regret bleaching the bottom half of my hair for 6 months, it's still not even with the rest of my hair after a year and a half and it tangles way more easily than the rest. It's just generally unhealthy.

I regret flat ironing my hair for 9 years of my life instead of educating myself on how to make my natural hair look presentable.

I regret cutting my own hair for so many years of my life instead of seeking a professional.

InTheCity
November 9th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Going to the hairdresser in June :( ::CHOP!::

Since I haven't actually mistreated in a while, no real regrets in that arena... but I can definitely say it was stupid to relax with boxed "Dark n' Lovely" AND bleach.

HuggyBear
November 9th, 2011, 06:18 PM
I used to regret ever coloring my hair but now I am glad I did it when I was younger. I got it all out of system. I have been dye-free for over 15 years. However, those horrible perms that made my hair break off, fall out and didn't even last a month....now those I regret. :)

blondie9912
November 9th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I'll say I don't believe in 'regrets' per se. Live and learn.
We learn far more valuable lessons from our own errors than we ever could from a textbook!

I'm a senior in high school now, and in 7th grade I discovered the flatiron, and used it on my fine, bouncy hair. Every single day. Within a month, I noticed split ends (I didn't even know what they were before this incident!)

I cut off three inches of hair at the beginning of 8th due to that damage, and rocked what my friends fondly refer to as the 'Jesus hairstyle' for that school year :p Shoulder length, worn at my natural hair texture, awkwardly middle parted, with lots of wavy layers. Oh and, not to mention my hair is the right colour for this historical hairstyle :grin:

I grew my hair for about a year while doing that, and then in ninth grade, in true freshman spirit, I conformed to the 'niner hairstyle' as we now refer to it. The same style that all the girls in my grade had- BSL length, side bangs, and straightened and teased. Every single day! Oh boy...

That year I also started highlighting my hair, which I have been doing pretty much every 4 months for the past 2 and a half years. I'll spare you all the sad tale of my hair colouring issues, but the damage I suffered this summer from using a box dye 4 times in one week, and then getting highlights and a colour at the salon afterwards was pretty much the last straw. Frankly, I'm surprised that my hair is still on my head after what it went through! I have officially sworn off dying my hair, and cannot wait until my natural colour grows out. My goal is waistlength virgin hair. *drools at the thought*

Everything I suffered through was, needless to say, quite a pain. The bright side is that I've learned what I like and don't like for my hair a fairly young age :)

Modarunner
November 9th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Back at the end of 2007 my hair was almost to my waist and I bleached it, which totally dried it out and caused major breakage. I then proceeded to chop it all off little by little until it was almost a pixie cut. I then died my hair black and later bleached the dye out, which turned my hair to mush and I had to shave it all off. If I hadn't done that, who knows how long my hair would be by now.

patienceneeded
November 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
The perm I got WAY back in 8th grade comes to mind.

All the times I thought I would look cute as a blonde also strikes a bell...

In reality, I don't acutally regret any of my hair decisions, because (at the time) it was what I wanted. Do I wish my hair was longer and in better condition right now? Of course! However, I don't regret my earlier choices. I have learned from them and will hopefully not repeat them again as they will negate all my progress on having long healthy hair. :)

shannonsun
November 9th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I regret chopping off my past BSL hair in freshman year of high school. I had gorgeous natural hair, but I didn't know it. My mom never taught me about taking care of my hair, and I was continually frustrated by my own attempts to style it. I thought that the minimal frizz and flyaways that I had meant I had bad hair--I had Pantene ad expectations of what good hair looked like. I also didn't know what I do now--that sulfates make my hair frizzy and all I had to do was stop washing every day. So I chopped it all off and donated it to locks of love, and ended up with Meet The Beatles Paul McCartney hair. For years after I would feel "phantom hair" brushing my back and arms and get really sad. Glad to be on the road to long hair again.

shackleford
November 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Oh my goodness, this is depressing to think about. I started highlighting my hair at 16, moved from just golden blonde highlights to full-on platinum at 18, was platinum blonde from 18 to 20. If I wore my hair down, it was straight. Otherwise, it was up in a high bun. So I should be really grateful that my hair looks as healthy as it does with only six months of no heat and oiling and trimming. But I want the layers gone so badly :(

raehysteric
November 9th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I'd say the kinky perm I ended up with in the 8th grade when I thought I didn't have curly, but it actually taught me how that my hair COULD curl and how to curl it. Its been over 10 years since then and it still curls a ton.

So to the regrets:

Bleaching my dark hair out in my 20s and wearing the harsh brassy copper blonde I got out of it for at least half a year. Although I LOVED how Feria ruby rush covered it, so brilliant! Made me feel like a rockstar.

Chopping off ALL my hair after the bleach/red dye.. to the point of buzzing the back and getting a forehead pixie aka The Winona Rider in Girl Interrupted.

Dye my hair the chemical black over a few years Loved the color, hated how hard it was to get out. Color remover AND bleach a couple times.

Diamond.Eyes
November 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I regret dying it black in middle school and keeping it that way until my sophomore year of high school :doh:. People just used to bully the heck out of me for being a "ginger" :rolleyes:. Once I moved out of California and to where I currently live, I made new friends and they really encouraged me to grow out my natural hair color when I showed them old pictures of my natural red hair. Growing it back out was definitely the best hair decision I've made :). Though I have had people make fun of my red hair since I've grown it out, all of them being jealous girls considering how "wonderful" their hair looked, I've never received such nice compliments about my hair color before. :grin:.

Unofficial_Rose
November 10th, 2011, 02:05 AM
I'm going us Palette by Nature. No chemicals, just herbs and plants :) Check out there site: http://palettebynature.com/

Ooh, brilliant, thankyou. No peroxide -yay! Normal permanents don'y last on my hair so if I dye it darker, it fades and I end up lighter than I started out. And the damage, yikes!

SleeplessBeauty
November 10th, 2011, 02:39 AM
I regret ripping a brush through my wet hair for years. Never realized what it was doing to my fine hair. :o

Revontuletar
November 10th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I regret dyeing my hair black, then bleaching the **** out of it to make it blonde again, then keeping dyeing it blonde because I hated the fact my regrowth had grown darker since I started dyeing it in the first place. ARGH!

Hairwish
November 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM
The flat iron which I used once a week for about a year...Almost no growth for me that year because of it :sad

Snippety
November 10th, 2011, 05:31 AM
My big chop of summer 2010 from this:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/40202_451608728884_768648884_6421671_4398064_n.jpg

to this:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/40202_451608733884_768648884_6421672_6130194_n.jpg

I know it's still "long" but I didn't realise how much I would miss that extra length and the "freakshow" nature of it :( I reckon it'll be a couple of years more before I'm back there.

PrairieRose
November 10th, 2011, 06:38 AM
I regret using chemical hair dye! I have fine hair and it totally wrecked my hair.
@Snippety - I think your hair still looks great! I trimmed less then an inch and felt the same way so I can imagine how you feel.

sbhonda
November 10th, 2011, 07:32 AM
I regret bleaching my hair blonde after years of semi-permanent dye. My hair has always been very forgiving, until the bleach. I've been trying to grow it back out (it was around BSL when I bleached it) since I did that in July of 2010, and my hair grows .5"/month, so after NEEDING to cut off most of the damage, I'm around shoulder length with a ridiculous amount of layers. I just don't think short hair looks good on me without using heat, which I don't want to do, because I have so much hair and it's too wavy in the back to be short.

With that all said, it was also a good thing, because it forced me to learn how to take care of my hair properly, which I probably wouldn't have done otherwise since it was always so forgiving.

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Relax. You are only 17. You are learning at a young age what it took a lot of people many more years to learn. You have plenty of time to have long, beautiful hair.:)

I regret never researching hair care for fine, thin hair until right now. I always assumed my hair would never grow and thus always had APL or shorter hair even though I wanted long hair. Had I done a bit of work I no doubt could have had BSL to WL hair right now--instead I'm struggling to grow out APL length hair that's damaged from straightening/curling that stemmed from dissatisfaction with how it looked.

Mayflower
November 10th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I don't regret anything cause despite all the bad things I've done in the past (years of minimum detangling and basically letting my hair backcomb itself, bad cuts, box dyes, never trimming, using harsh shampoos and never condition) it seems my hair repaired back to health with henna, S&D and a mask now and then.

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I regret keeping my hair so short that I didn't know I had waves until a few years ago. I had a lot of curly perms to try to add some body to my fine, "straight" hair.

I also regret that I sometimes don't have the patience to work out a knot as carefully as i need to, to avoid having to cut it out.

Fairlight63
November 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I regret the perm that I got when 12. It made my hair so hard to manage that I cut it really short & kept it short all through school.

I regret coloring my hair black when I was 18. It was so black that it looked blue. I washed it with dish soap to try to get some of the black out. Seems like the black color will last FOREVER!!

I regret coloring my hair up until I was 65 yrs. old. I think that it was horrible for my hair & made it thin.
So, I wish that I had never permed, colored, or cut my hair short. I wish that I had just kept it long & natural all along.

bratz81
November 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I don't really regret the bleaching and crazy colours since they were what I wanted and I'm glad I've had my hair every colour every invented cos now it's out of my system :)

My biggest regret is cutting it short (twice!) and also letting that crazy woman cut it last Xmas when I ended up with all these layers and a straight fringe I didn't want :(

Jelena
November 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
opss wrong post!

Rhodugune
November 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I couldn't help but gasp Snippety!
But I hope you hair grows fast, so you get back to your desired length as soon as possible, 'cause you hair is absolutely lovely!

My biggest hair regret is listening to much and trusting my hairdresser growing up.
They all said that I needed to trim off much more than was needed and my hair grows very slowly so the though those years they cut off almost all off my growth, so I didn't gain much in length at all!
I gained about 8" in ten years...

ladonna
November 10th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Flat ironing my long hair for year's until it was so damamged that even the flat iron couldn't straighten it, so I chopped it all off. And just a month ago I highlighted and dyed my hair a bad color that I fixed with henndigo. I've been dying my hair for so many year's that I don't even remember what my natral hair color is, I plan on either growing it out natural or keep up with the henndigo.

Bianca
November 10th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Henna. Everything about it basically. Mess, color, time it took.

Chemical dye/bleach. Spend 2 years growing that out. Cut most of it off though, couldn't see much point in keeping the lenght, when it looked that bad :)

fil
November 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I regret dreads, but more than that I regret brushing/cutting some of them out. I had a huge gap in my hair for about a year until I recently got it cut. Now it is mostly back to normal. But I feel like it took away some of the thickness of my hair.
Also, getting lice at the beginning of the year, but that was out of my control.

Clelia
November 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Basically... the past 3 years.

I cut it too often, too short and too many layers. I could be at hip length now for all I know. And of course the intense bleaching, then going dark brown, then blond (really supper blonde) again... and then from red to brown to black.

I guess what I regret most is the bleaching and the cutting.

XcaliburGirl
November 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I don't regret chopping because I wanted to get a short hair attempt out of my system. However, I do regret chopping twice. I should have gone all the way to pixie the first time. Instead I grew my chin-length bob out to APL, then couldn't stop wondering if I should have gone super short instead. I went short, and now I have to grow it out all over again.

Amarante
November 10th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I regret coloring mine. Now it will take years to grow out my natural color. X.x

slo2gro
November 10th, 2011, 02:04 PM
cutting it and colouring it EVER :(

newbeginning
November 10th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Dye for sure. It'll take years to grow out and I don't have a lot of patience.

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I'm really glad I haven't used permanent dyes.

iszolda111
November 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM
My hair was finally starting to grow out from a really bad haircut last year, I decided to cut my bangs a few weeks ago. I used to cut them myself all the time. I somehow managed to cut one side way furthur back than the other, I was going to even it but I realized that I actually just cut it wayy too far back into my hair. I ruined it. Its going to take another year or so to grow the hair that should be long back out to a blendable length. I keep screwing up my hair so bad.

Amiblue
November 10th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Not making sure the stylist COMPLETELY understood me when I said "slight trim" and taking my waist length hair to my shoulders. Not learning from that and have the next 2 different stylists take off way more than they were suppose to. In fact, just found out my slight "trim" I just got wasn't as good as I thought. Hubby was brushing my hair for me and said "what the heck is wrong with your hair?" What do you mean? I said. He showed me a couple of sections of my hair are a good 6 inches shorter than my length with a whole bunch in-between in no particular manner. No wonder my hair felt thin. A couple of the sections are just past shoulders when pulled straight. Can I say CR*PP*RS!!

Hubby says no more cuts and I am going with him now. He didn't want me to this time, but had to. *Sigh*

HintOfMint
November 10th, 2011, 09:46 PM
This is a bit of a recent development of regret but, here's one. I was looking over my pictures from high school and early college, and I now see that I looked much better than I felt at the time, with one caveat. I should have had long hair. I would have looked so much better then, and I wouldn't have needlessly prolonged the awkward phase.

UltraBella
November 10th, 2011, 11:31 PM
I regret not cutting my hair from TBL to BSL much sooner. I dealt with all that hair for so long just because I was fearful I would miss it. I don't miss it at all ! I should have cut it years ago.

I regret these bangs of mine some days. Other days they look awesome and I love them. It's windy here and that makes my bangs messy. I don't know, I just can't decide......

SarahKayfa
November 11th, 2011, 12:02 PM
I regret blond every time I try it. It just doesn't work for my skin and the damage isn't worth it. Those people who say you look best with the color you had as a kid are totally wrong.

ScarlettAdelle
November 11th, 2011, 12:46 PM
BLEACH.

Any color at all, actually.

During cosmetology school I bleached some of my hair. Horrible mistake, my baby fine curly hair couldn't handle it and literally broke off. Years later, I still have little spots where my hair is a few inches shorter than the hair surrounding it, they serve as little reminder that my hair can't really handle color, and I need to just leave it alone.

I've grown to actually like my natural dark brown with gray sparkling through making it look super shiny.

DarkBeauty
November 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Washing it everyday with pantene, and straightening it everyday with GHD's - the worst possible heat. My hair was dry as hell, it didn't look like hair, it looked like hay. Then i realised it was time to stop and start with natural things, my hair is still damaged from it all but it doesn't look as bad as it did.

raehysteric
November 18th, 2011, 09:40 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9106&pictureid=118854

It looked even worse in person. I was trying to go out of the black hair, and through a serious of colorfixes and bleaching, I threw down a red dye that was called like "auburn" or something, which is what I wanted. But my hair was that strange yellow..

Apparently I forgot COLOR THEORY. bright red + bright yellow = NEON orange.

I wore that for a week.. and actually went OUT in that. I don't like standing out that much, so an ashy brown semi brought it down nicely.

longhairedlady
November 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
These stupid bangs. Well they are not actually bangs anymore, they are long but not as long as the rest of my hair. It drives me crazy and I obsess over it. I dont know how to make them flow into my hair better, instead of it being such a big contrast to the rest of my hair.

CurlyCap
November 18th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I regret not shaving my head.

When I chopped my hair, I knew it would take almost a decade to grow back. I was prepared for that. What I didn't expect was my fierce protection of my current length. I really don't see myself cutting my hair (in a short style), much less shaving it, any time soon.

But it's something I always wanted to do, and now I think I'll always be too scared to try it.

RedheadMistress
November 18th, 2011, 10:06 PM
- I regret cutting more than half my hair off, was too damaged and then I dyed it black .

Wish I just dyed it black and kept it, but to be fair, wow, my hair has never felt as healthy as it does now . . even though it would be nice to have my long hair, it wasn't even curly . . so when all the healthy hair grows out, it would have looked ridiculous with hair that has ringlets in the top and straight/wavy at the ends :P

Apriori
November 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
I regret cutting it into a pixie with long bangs 1,5 years ago. I hated it from the moment it was cut, and it takes such a long time to grow it back. I also regret cutting bangs when my hair grew into a bob.
I'm also growing out bleach and even though I hate the thought of how long that's going to take me I honestly don't regret it. I loved my blond hair :D

long&blonde
November 19th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Every haircut I can rember getting, ever. Bar none. This includes All Trims.

Qadupae
November 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Buzzing my hair short, although in the end it will be good since I have nothing but virgin hair now ^_^ Just means it will take me 5-6 years to reach my goal now

Bellatrix
November 19th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I've made a ton of hair mistakes. However, I've learned a lot about hair care along the way and had some fun styles/colours. It always grows back :)

I'm currently growing out my hair virgin and I'm confident I can maintain it/grow it to classic or waist length.

jujube
November 19th, 2011, 07:23 AM
- Giving a stylist carte blanche.
- Hennaing, then dying, then dying, then hennaing, then dying, etc.

kittymallow
November 19th, 2011, 07:32 AM
My Oh my... have i some every evil thing to my hair that is humanly possible?? Jup! My biggest regret is cutting from apl to a short bob.. that is some yars ago but the last time i cut a bob is about 3 years ago.. and i bleached it to death.. had pink, purple, blue, red, you name it, and dyed it dark.. 4 months later bleach again.. and the same story again.. and head styling every day.. my oh my.. but now it actually is in a pretty good condition thanks to my knowledgde and experience.. and of course the help of you!!!

pinupdancer
November 19th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Although I've done plenty of damage to my hair over the years, there's not too much I regret because I loved the way it looked most of the time. lol But I'd have to say that chopping off 6 inches a few months ago, followed by giving myself bangs after having finally grown out my old ones are both major regrets. I wish I had found this place before doing that. I'd be between waist and hip right now. :doh:

Zydrate
November 19th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I regret cutting it really, but I mean really short few years ago.

SopphireGem
November 19th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I regret cutting my hair chin length!! It used to be BSL, then I stupidly decided to cut my own hair and give myself more layers, which resulted in me cutting far too much off!! :( It seems to be taking forever to grow :mad:

It's this short: http://beauty.about.com/od/bobs/ss/bob2_3.htm
(not me in the picture of course!)
I mean it looks quite nice really, but it's too short for my liking.

BlazingHeart
November 19th, 2011, 04:20 PM
There are only 2 things I've done to my hair that I really regretted. Sure, the burgundy temp dye that left a slight demarcation line 2 years later kind of bummed me out, but I loved it burgundy so much that it's hard to really regret it.

I regret when I tried to get 'the Jennifer' in...um, about '97, and the version I wanted was the long, layered version. That doesn't work well with super-thick, slightly wavy hair. I ended up looking like a country singer from the 80s - just hair EVERYWHERE, so much of it. The worst part was that my stylist had very strongly warned me that it wouldn't look like the cut I wanted, and I insisted on it anyways. Whoops. I cut my hair into a bob a week later.

I also regret the pixie. Not because I didn't like my hair short - I did. But it was badly cut and I ended up with kind of a mushroom top like the Beatles in their first American tour. I was so pissed. I usually used enough pomade to flatten it, so it was kind of lifeless, but it was SO cute when it got to be a shaggy pageboy...I just wish I'd gone to my regular stylist (who was 6 hours from where I went to school, but I did visit home fairly regularly), because SHE would've done it right.