PDA

View Full Version : Spritzers: Oil & Water don't mix, right?

Kiwiwi
November 9th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hey people,

I often read that people put all kinds of stuff in their hair spritzers to take care of their hair. I do wonder about adding oils. It is my understanding that oil & water don't mix. So the oil will just be lying on top of the water and you never actually spray it on your hair. Also you waste (sometimes expensive) oil this way.

Am I missing something and do people add something to make the two mix? Or.. something else I don't know?

Thanks in advance!

AnnaJamila
November 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
From what I understand if you shake the bottle really well before you spray the oil temporarily suspends within the water and gets sprayed through your hair. The water is just there to thin it out and get it through the mister. If you don't shake it won't work, though.

CurlyCap
November 9th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I mix avocado oil, olive oil, and water in a spritzer. I just shake the bottle before I spray, and the mist even takes of each. My hair is damp, and when it dries, I can feel the oil.

RitaPG
November 9th, 2011, 09:27 AM
From what I understand if you shake the bottle really well before you spray the oil temporarily suspends within the water and gets sprayed through your hair. The water is just there to thin it out and get it through the mister. If you don't shake it won't work, though.
Exactly.
I've also discovered that oil mixes well with water if you add a bit of conditioner to it.

Kiwiwi
November 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Oh, of course!
I didn't even think of that! That's a good way to do that.

Thanks!

Amber_Maiden
November 9th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Exactly.
I've also discovered that oil mixes well with water if you add a bit of conditioner to it.

Thats what I do sometimes! :)

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
You have to shake your hair mister before you spray.

skyblue
November 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
yep shake shake shake ;)

teal
November 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM
If you have coconut oil it helps to put the spritzer in a cup of warm water before shaking, just to make sure the oil is above melting point.

Otherwise you might end up with this :p
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b335/transitbum/Hair/IMGP5676.jpg

jeanniet
November 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
^^^This is why I never put CO in a mister bottle. My house doesn't warm up enough for it to be in a liquid state, so I can only use oils that stay liquid.

darklyndsea
November 9th, 2011, 12:35 PM
^^^This is why I never put CO in a mister bottle. My house doesn't warm up enough for it to be in a liquid state, so I can only use oils that stay liquid.
I find that putting my container of coconut oil between my legs (or otherwise cuddling it) warms it up enough to make it liquid.