PDA

View Full Version : The "I Still Wear My Hair in a Ponytail" Thread

Annibelle
November 9th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I know it's naughty to do, but I've worn my hair in a ponytail for years. When I joined LHC, I stopped completely for six months, but today, out of desperation, I put my hair in a ponytail. I just washed last night, and my buns will not hold. One side of my hair is crazy wavy at the roots while the other is stick straight, so I can't wear it down or in a half-up. So I put in a ponytail. It feels good. It looks good. For some reason, my thin hair always looks so much fuller and longer in a ponytail.

So, who else still wears a ponytail, either occasionally or daily? Please tell me I'm not alone! ;)

And, since I always love viewing threads that include photos... here's today's ponytail! (Oh, and my hair is NOT red-- my camera must just think it would look better that way. ;) )

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z414/4nnibelle/PB084180.jpg

artiste
November 9th, 2011, 07:18 AM
I do! I like the way a ponytail can look. Plus, I like the fact that it is quick and easy to do
Quick - check
Easy - check
Gets my hair out of the way - check

I know that it is not the most protective style out there, but I take care of my hair in general, so I'm not overly concerned with potential damage.
So I say, Rock the Pony if you enjoy it! :)

growingpains
November 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I do all the time! Better than down I figure! I may invest in a scrunchie though for the nighttime pony/bun.

spidermom
November 9th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Funny - my hair is really too long for it - but yesterday I made a high-back pony, wrapped a strand of hair around the base to cover the hair tie, then slid my dragon slide over it to help hold it in place (because ponytails loosen up and slide down pretty fast). It was fun for a few hours, but by then it was pulling. I liked it while it lasted, though.

XcaliburGirl
November 9th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I love ponytails. They are easy, they keep the hair out of my way, but my hair is more accessible than when it's in an updo.

Last time I wore them every day I ended up with damage around that area. I think I just need safer ponytail habits. (No "tightening", make them looser, alternate between high and low, etc.)

Can't wait to get my post-chop hair into one again!

invisiblebabe
November 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Yep, I wear them occasionally :) I wore them when my hair was classic length, too, and it didn't affect my hair health (the only thing that did was coloring/bleaching).

Yozhik
November 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I think my hair is too heavy for it; I have Spidermom's problem of it always slipping down.
Plus, the last couple of times I did it, my hair next to my back got super-tangled. I actually think down is better for me than ponytails . . .

W2
November 9th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I used to a lot - but right now I'm growing out bangs - and somehow I can't find the right place for it at the moment.

wandlimb
November 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I still wear one quite a lot, particularly at weekends.

racrane
November 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I like to wear them occasionally, mostly on the weekends. My boyfriend - oddly enough - LOVES my hair in a ponytail. He think it's cute. I don't mind indulging him while we're sitting on the couch watching football. :D I think they're adorable.

When I"m coming and going throughout the week, though, it's usually up in a bun or braid.

auroraclio
November 9th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I wear them 2-3x/week for work, buns don't work at this point...

dRummie
November 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I almost never wear one, but incidentally did last week. It was a bit uncomfortable and started pulling quickly, so I doubt I'll do it often in the future, but it was fun :)

long
November 9th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I love ponytails and when my hair is longer I plan to wear them more. Your pony looks great.

aisha.christine
November 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I wear a ponytail pretty frequently. My hair is really too short and too thick to do much else (without using eight million bobby pins, which I have to periodically adjust throughout the day.) I would rather just put it in a ponytail, and then not touch it again until I have to take it out.

dulce
November 9th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I wear mine held by a flexi 8 ,no elastic and not everyday.

omnivore
November 9th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I've been wearing a low loose pony for work, as well as for cooking, baking, and housework, the last week or so. Seems I have hit a length point where I am going to have to relearn how to make a bun that will stay put and that won't pull and give me an instant headache.

AnnaJamila
November 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
I do that kind of Japanese ponytail where it's secured halfway down my back. That or I'll do a really loose braid just at the end of the hair so it's a similar look but it stays better. I sometimes put it in a high ponytail when I'm getting my face ready for bed but that's only for a few minutes. I more often bun anyway.

maborosi
November 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I wear them on occasion, too. Not every day, but I'll wear a low one when I'm doing something and I don't want my hair to get in the way.

I also like to wear a high one sometimes, too.

~maborosi~

Mythica
November 9th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I put my hair up into a high ponytail at night so I can use my pillow (one of those chiropractic ones). The tail goes into a rag sort of curl so that it's not folded over too sharply. So far, I haven't seen anything I can call damage.
Then I tend to put it into a (gentle) folded pony during the day. Just til it gets a bit longer, I think. Since I don't do it too tightly or use ties with metal in them anymore, my hair seems to be alright with it.

irishlady
November 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I used to, but not so much anymore, I hate the way they look on me, especially from the side, my head is just too weird :P

ericthegreat
November 9th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I have always worn my hair in a ponytail ever since it was long enough to be tied back into one. Its quick and easy, and for me a practical style is the default style.

How high I place my ponytail depends on how much time I have. If I'm in a crazy rush, I'll just quickly tied back low at my nape. If I happen to have at least 5 minutes to myself, then I'll fully brush my hair out with my big paddle brush, then gather my hair into a high pony smoothing the scalp hair along the way with both the brush and my hands and then finally tying it with the elastic.

And if I really have time to do something fancy, I'll spray my scalp wet with my water bottle, then using my BB brush, I'll thoroughly brush all of my scalp hair and neatly gather it up into a high ponytail making sure every bump is smoothed out with the BBB before tying it up. Then, I will take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the base to hide the elastic, and secure it with a bobby pin or two.

kanaka
November 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I wear it 5 days a week for college because everyone at my place braid or pony their hair.

luthien_belewen
November 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I like ponytails! Right now, I can *just* get my hair into a little pony-stub, which I think for now looks cute ^_^ I think it is a nice style for growing out your hair because they work if your hair is still too short to bun. I like them high or low. I also like to pin back my bangs or wear a headband with a high pony.

leeyah
November 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I don't think I would have survived the awkward bob-growing-out phase without a ponytail. I did a pony and pinned the hair that was still too short to be caught by the band back. I still do it now, because I can't make a decent braid yet. I try to switch it up, height-wise and I only use soft bands.

candycandace
November 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I still wear my hair in a ponytail or bun almost every day. :/ I just don't like having my hair in my face all the time, and also I don't like having to look at my short length.

bte
November 9th, 2011, 10:58 AM
The ponytail is the most basic "up" style, and I wear one every day. I know that you can do damage through overtightening, but you can do damage with every style and also with loose hair, so I belong to the careful ponytailers.

Gypsygirl
November 9th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Allllll the time. I hardly ever wear my hair up so if I want it out of the way, I tend to throw it in a simple ponytail real quick.

SteelRose
November 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I used to wear them all the time because they're fast and effective, but my hair has gotten too long with the weight of it to hold long in a pony without it being too tight. I still pull back a low one sometimes around the house because I have 2 small children to chase around and not a lot of time. The lazy wrap bun is quickly replacing it for that though.

Vanilla
November 9th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I love wearing ponytails. They are so easy and I almost always have a hair elastic handy to make a quick one.

Shuan
November 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Most of the time I when I go outside I just wear my hair in a ponytail and at home I switch between a ponytail and a bun. Can't remember the last time I wore my hair down out of my house.

jacqueline101
November 9th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I love pony tails. My hair likes the simple hair styles. I like the easy factor too.

celebriangel
November 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My hair is a bit too long for it to be truly safe in a ponytail, but I wear one occasionally anyway. I think I suit them, and they get my hair out of the way but I can still see the length. I wear them with soft black scrunchies because I find them more comfortable and I feel they are more hair safe.

Macaroni
November 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
If my hair isn't in a chignon, it's in a ponytail.

summergreen
November 9th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I still wear a pony, usually round the house but occasionally a low side pony to go out. Anything apart from pony/braids/loose pulls horribly on me. And my hair is also to long too be truly safe doing cleaning or cooking in just a pony, Im always having near misses as it swings forward and tries to get involved! Must try more updos!

Annibelle your pony looks lovely, and sooo thick!

Annibelle
November 9th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I still wear a pony, usually round the house but occasionally a low side pony to go out. Anything apart from pony/braids/loose pulls horribly on me. And my hair is also to long too be truly safe doing cleaning or cooking in just a pony, Im always having near misses as it swings forward and tries to get involved! Must try more updos!

Annibelle your pony looks lovely, and sooo thick!

Thanks! It's an illusion that always happens when I wear ponytails-- I'm just 3in. ponytail circumference, but for some reason, my hair looks thickest in a ponytail! Maybe that's another reason I like them... :)

I can't wait til I'm at hip, too, and can say my hair is too long for ponytails! ;)

Annibelle
November 9th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I wear mine held by a flexi 8 ,no elastic and not everyday.

Does the Flexi 8 hold the ponytail well? Is it secure enough? I've been considering getting one but wasn't sure. :)

FrozenBritannia
November 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I usually wear a ponytail the day I wash, because it's too slippery for pins or anything at least when the elastic/ribbon thing slides out I can just do it again lickity-split. After christmas I might change that when/if I stop wearing my hair up everyday.

Kathie
November 9th, 2011, 05:03 PM
The other day I forgot to pack a hair stick into my bag. I did my early morning yoga class, had a shower, went to do my hair... and I had to do a pony-tail. It was the first time in over a year that I'd warn one. Gah, it was so annoying- it just wouldn't hold. I had to redo it numerous times throughout the day. So I'm not a pony-tail fan :shrug:

Revontuletar
November 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I know it's pretty bad, but I LOVE MY PIGTAILS!! On regular days when I'm lounging around I will wear a bun or braid or when I am really lazy and my hair is messy, a scrunchie ponytail, but on days when I like to get dressed up I always wear my hair in pigtails using those knitted elastics to reduce damage. Even though I know it is probably not the best for my already-damaged hair, I love the way it looks and I don't do it that often (probably about once a week) so for me that is justified :D
Here is a pic: http://i44.tinypic.com/9sfd6x.jpg

InTheCity
November 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I still wear my hair in a ponytail or bun almost every day. :/ I just don't like having my hair in my face all the time, and also I don't like having to look at my short length.

Me too, minus the :/

I love ponytails or a regular bun held with a claw clip! I give myself about 49 seconds to style my hair daily and 9 of those are for sliding up the cloth headband I wear, despite knowing how unprofessional it likely looks. Frizz looks worse though...

skyblue
November 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I can't wear a pony, even though my hair is not heavy, I'll get head aches, I can't even wear a bun that starts with a pony for that same reason

Kelikea
November 9th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I don't wear them much anymore because the weight pulls at my hairline and the underside gets super tangled. I do a high half-pulled pony for bed sometimes or a lower braided pony for work, sometimes with the fringe braided separately to lessen the pull.

Amiblue
November 9th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Still do a lot. Have to always redo it throughout the day though as it will slide. Never knew until I got on here that it wasn't good to do.

Quixii
November 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
I still wear a ponytail daily. It's just the most comfortable way to wear my hair for me. :)

Hotrox
November 9th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I'm sitting in the office in one right now :D If I'm have a 'good ends' day and my length has kept its curls nicely over night I like to high pony it. I use a hair safe elastic or a large barrette - I find these don't squash the curl so much and give a little more volume to the do.

Malibu Barbie
November 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I still wear ponytails all the time.

rapunzelna
November 9th, 2011, 07:20 PM
You are not alone. I actually do it all the time. Mainly because I'm to lazy to braid my hair very often

SlightlySoprano
November 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I DO!! I'm trying not to really, because I have a ton of breakage right where my pony sits. Yay for learning braids!:D

PixxieStix
November 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Now that my hair is long enough to get most of it into a pony-snub, sometimes needing to pin back those last few bangs, I have to say I do this several time a week. I try and alternate between low (where I need to pin the bangs back) and mid/high (where I have to pin up the strands from the bottom). I can't do too much else, but have utilized the pig tails a few times as well. Not long enough to braid and it makes me look like I'm 15 all over again, but hey, it works. I have a few scrunchies I use for ponys, and no metal elastics that I don't put tight for the pig tails. I can't wait for hair long enough to bun/braid, hair stick or put up in a clip!

Zesty
November 9th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I rarely wear a ponytail, even though I like how they look on me -- except when I'm at home and do a lazy scrunchie ponytail, but those rarely last more than an hour. I'm worried about breakage (the hair ties I "trust" aren't strong enough to hold) and my hair is still in my way when I put it in a ponytail. It's just not as practical as a hair stick or fork bun.

Demetrue
November 9th, 2011, 09:37 PM
I don't use metal or elastic ties for my pony tails - I use silky or soft knit fabric scrunchies and I don't seem to get any obvious damage from them.

ingvild
November 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
I wear ponytails, a lot. A LOT. Usually a high ponytail, all combed back. I think that looks good with my face (better than a parted one, anyway). My hair is starting to become too heavy for them, though, but my hair has just gotten long enough for hairsticks. So. :D Time to move on soon!

jackie75
November 10th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I have always been a low pony tail girl. :) Even when my hair was past waist, I would wash my hair, brush it all back with a plastic vent brush (aacckk!!) and use my beloved hair scrunchies. When my hair dried, it would have waves in the perfect places and my face-framing layers would look perfect.

Wearing my hair loose drove me nuts. It would tickle my face too much...but then again, if I did, I always tucked my hair behind my ears. Wearing my hair up gives me headaches and a really sore scalp if I do it too tight on accident.

Besides, it is so much simpler to do, although when my hair was longer a year ago, I was surprised I could somewhat pull off some pretty updos. I've never been very good with styling my hair, lol

jesis
November 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Here's mine!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7645&pictureid=118527

Annibelle
November 10th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Here's mine!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7645&pictureid=118527

:) I love the squiggly/wavy bits poking out! Super cute!

freckles
November 10th, 2011, 03:15 PM
I sometimes still wear a ponytail. But it doesn't really keep the hair out of the way for me -- I wore a ponytail on a night out the other night and somehow zipped the whole thing into the front of my jacket, probably did a LOT of damage removing that (the zip wouldn't come undone) -- I dunno, maybe I'm just clumsy and other people don't have these problems! I find it takes longer to do a ponytail comfortably than a bun, and the ponytail starts to pull sooner.

So I save ponytails for once-in-a-while, but they're certainly not banned from my hair 'wardrobe'.

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
My hair is so thick and heavy that it slides out of anything but a super low on the nape pony, which I fing boring. I wore them all the time as a kid playing sports, so now they are really a utility only do for me.

Cassie 123
November 10th, 2011, 03:31 PM
You caught me - I'm coming down with a cold and my hair is in a low scrunchie pony. Probably not my best look. :o

Macaroni
November 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
I wear one of these on my low ponytail:

http://www.franceluxe.com/pc/9557A/franceluxeponytailholder/index.html

ladonna
November 10th, 2011, 04:58 PM
My hair is so hot and annoying that it's always in a pony tail, I successfully made it halfway through today with it down. My baby uses my hair as his lovey and teething ring so it's safer for my hair to be pulled up out of his reach.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2011, 02:54 AM
I like ponytails - I always get lots of compliments when I wear them (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/20101004c.jpg

Bish
November 11th, 2011, 02:58 AM
I wear mine in a banana clip ponytail, does that count? :)

Long_Curls
November 11th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I don't like to wear ponytails as I find it temporarily affects the shape of my curls (flattens them). Having said that, I always tie them when working or in the gym, a ponytail in that situation is a lifesaver.

Velvettt
November 11th, 2011, 04:34 AM
My DH loves my hair in a ponytail so I wear it that way a lot. He frequently rearranges the hair to fall sleekly as we walk together. I get a lot of damage on the underneath hairs at my nape, though. I figure it's a small price to pay for making my husband smile.

Tabitha
November 11th, 2011, 03:42 PM
I sometimes still wear a ponytail. But it doesn't really keep the hair out of the way for me -- I wore a ponytail on a night out the other night and somehow zipped the whole thing into the front of my jacket, probably did a LOT of damage removing that (the zip wouldn't come undone) -- I dunno, maybe I'm just clumsy and other people don't have these problems! I find it takes longer to do a ponytail comfortably than a bun, and the ponytail starts to pull sooner.
My ponytails won't stay neatly back either, even though I'm about waist/30"-ish now - they always split and each half falls forwards over my shoulders.

I only ever wear a low nape pony with a barrette.

HintOfMint
November 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I love ponytails! Funny enough, I can even work out in them and I won't get tangles. How that works, I haven't the faintest clue.

owlathena
November 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Every. Single. Day. Starts off as a high pony and works its way down. Either an elastic or a scrunchie (today its an elastic) and often a ribbon as well. I love pony tails! Fewer tangles than leaving it down(although I do pull it apart and tighten it often), and I still get to have flow-y hair!

JamieLeigh
November 12th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I still wear mine in a ponytail! The end of it is around mid-thigh when it's high up on my head, but it's still back and out of my way. :)

Earelia
November 12th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have to wear pony tails everyday for work because I work with food. As soon as I leave I take it right out because I hate having it get kinks from being up too long... sometimes I throw my hair up if I'm eating, painting or cleaning but I very rarely keep it up when I go out.

jujube
November 12th, 2011, 01:43 PM
It's the only way I can wear my hair up for now.

Helenae
November 12th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I don't get it? What's wrong with pony tails? Is it some kind of hair sin? (Sorry, I'm pretty new to this world)

kuwati
November 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM
i do wear them a lot, it's a nice way to show off curls but keep hair off my face when i'm busy. unfortunately, some breakage does occur. i just don't like braids enough on me, and i get tired of buns. i can only wear my hair down if there is absolutely no wind since fine hair blows with the mention of a breeze (so that means, almost never!).

Maraz
November 12th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I do! I like the way a ponytail can look. Plus, I like the fact that it is quick and easy to do
Quick - check
Easy - check
Gets my hair out of the way - check

I know that it is not the most protective style out there, but I take care of my hair in general, so I'm not overly concerned with potential damage.
So I say, Rock the Pony if you enjoy it! :)

Pretty much the same for me. I need to buy some hairbands with no metal on them, though. The ones I have are otherwise pretty good.

Chamy
November 13th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I do sometimes! I dont think you should be so afraid of harming your hair that you can't enjoy it. :)

RecklessCharlie
November 13th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I do occasionally, but when I do I part it on the side because if I pull it straight back I look like an egg head.

Impulsive
November 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Most of the time, my hair is in a braid or bun, but there are days where I'm too tired/lazy/sick... and up in a ponytail it goes. I try to wear it like this for no more than a day, though, otherwise I just get too many tangles.

allnight avenue
November 14th, 2011, 11:17 PM
I absolutely still wear my hair in a ponytail, though it is only BSL length. But the elastic does always fall (I think because of the shape of my head, lol) and the "tightening" to pull it back up must be the worst thing ever. At least I only do it once every few weeks.

Clelia
November 15th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I like ponies. They're quick and easy and keep my hair out of the way I mostly tie a low ponytail with a big, soft scrunchie. And I like to think that it does not more damage than torturing the ends of my braids with those tiny elastics.

Winged
November 15th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I wear my hair in a ponytail a couple times a week, especially if I'm in a hurry. I keep it loose though, so I don't feel that it pulls too much on my hair.

truepeacenik
November 15th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I do them. At almost fingertip length.
I vary where the band goes, don't leave them in more than 24 hours (or my hair will dread over the holder), sometimes I do a few bumps of a braid to hold hair at the skull but tie off a couple inches lower.

Revontuletar
November 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I absolutely still wear my hair in a ponytail, though it is only BSL length. But the elastic does always fall (I think because of the shape of my head, lol) and the "tightening" to pull it back up must be the worst thing ever. At least I only do it once every few weeks.

I am absolutely guilty of the tightening too! I know you should pull them out and redo them, and I do if I am just wearing a lazy scrunchie pony, but when I am dressed up with heaps of ribbons, bows and clips etc it really is much easier to just tighten it. I justify it by saying that at least it's not a daily thing:D

SlightlySoprano
February 14th, 2012, 06:54 AM
So, I stopped my ponytail craze about a month ago, after noticing that I had a TON of broken hair right around ear length where the elastic sits. I've been braiding every day, which can be so annoying, but my pony circ is up from 1.8" to 2"!!!!:cheese:

Deborah
February 14th, 2012, 10:01 AM
If I want the most and worst tangles possible, then a pony tail will do it for sure. I do not recommend them.

BrightEyes
February 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I wear a pony tail occasionally, usually when I really don't want to fuss with my hair. At my length (and when I'm not wearing it down) I prefer to wear it in a peacock twist or half up. But a pony tail is nice for those days I'm feeling lazy and don't want to bother.

Ligeia_13
February 14th, 2012, 11:52 AM
I still use the ponytail! In fact, I had it that way today :D Seeing as I only have one hairstick and it was a gift, I don't take it outside yet cause I'm afraid I'm going to leave it somewhere - I'm a real scatterbrain - a ponytail is a really easy option.

Schefflera
February 14th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I wore my hair in a low ponytail daily for years without really noticing any problems with damage from the hairband, actually. (My hair isn't all that heavy, but I can rarely get a high ponytail to look respectable, and they do slip down quickly.)

However, in that style, I didn't like to keep it any longer than waist length because then it got in my way.

Clem_Dela
February 14th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I "pony up" at work when i'm too lazy to do a nice bun- in other words, pretty frequently ^_^

terylenerose
February 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I often do ponytails, mainly because I can do them well and they contain more of my hair than any kind of bun. I am growing out layerish things and they like to get in my face, so I need to hold them with something. I am also not very good at stick buns, so I always have an elastic on hand in case my stick comes out. The only problem I have with ponytails is that it's so hard not to pull on my hair when I put in or take out the elastic. I don't know why that is.

Aliantha
February 14th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Absolutely! I wear my slightly below BSL hair in a low ponytail every day, for most of the day. I don't use elastics and never use anything with metal. I use Goody "ouchless headbands" that are pretty much made of stretchy fabric. I find ponytails comfortable, since I only secure mine at the nape of my neck, and my hair is thin so it doesn't get heavy. These hair bands don't slide, either, so I don't do that tightening that destroys hair. If my ponytail does slide, I just take the whole thing down and redo it - I never just tug on the ends to cinch my ponytail back up higher - oww. I haven't really noticed any ponytail-related damage. I don't have a lot of split ends. Yay for pontails! :cheese:

GaJunebug
February 14th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I've got a ponytail in right now-most of the time I make it at the base of my neck.

Your ponytail looks very cute!

cooklaezo13
February 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Annibelle - your ponytail looks really thick and pretty.
I am finally at the stage of growing out my hair where I can wear it in a ponytail! It feels so good to get ALL the hair out of my face and off my neck. So I've been wearing it a lot, even though it's not so good for my hair. It's just great to get it out of the way.
I can also make a french braid, that looks good for about five minutes, before all the short chunks of hair start poking out. So ponytail it is for now.
I used to always wear my hair in a ponytail when it was longer (waist length) and the damage definitely showed, so I will be phasing out the ponytail as my hair grows and more styles become available to me.

Rennire
February 14th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I wear a ponytail maybe three days a week. I should stop but I probably won't. :shrug:

lillikins
February 14th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Psh... I wear ponytails all the time. Whenever I'm at the barn, and whenever I'm hanging out with my guy friends, running around blowing stuff up or something, and I need my hair out of the way.

blondyhead
February 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I still wear Pigtails lol!!! ( no really! )

ttverdy
February 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I wear my hair in a pony probably 5 days a week. I like them if I wash my hair at night, because then I can braid it and not end up with a big curly poofy mess. My hair is so coarse that it doesn't hold braid waves. It just reverts back to its natural wave pattern, only poofier because the curls have been destroyed. This is this morning after taking out double Dutch braids:

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h404/ttverdy/pony.jpg

Thank goodness for ponies! I find a low pony to be more comfortable than a bun. I don't have any breakage issues, but I have coarse, tough hair.

Annibelle
February 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM
ttverdy, your ponytail looks fab! I agree, low ponytails can feel soooo much more comfortable than buns. :o I think it's partially because I wear my ponytails very loose...

Annibelle
February 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I do occasionally, but when I do I part it on the side because if I pull it straight back I look like an egg head.

Heehee, "egg head." I look silly with mine done straight back, too. Not like an egg head, but like my jaw is giant. I need volume at my roots or I look like a Terminator or something.

I do sometimes! I dont think you should be so afraid of harming your hair that you can't enjoy it. :)

That's how I'm beginning to feel!

I like ponytails - I always get lots of compliments when I wear them (^(oo)^)v

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/20101004c.jpg

Sooo cute, Piggy! :) I love the way your ends look in the ponytail!

Sillage
February 14th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I've been wearing my hair in a ponytail a lot more recently and my new favorite bun requires a ponytail as a base... hope it's not too damaging :/

Anywhere
February 14th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I wear one once in a blue moon.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=126391

Annibelle
February 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM
I wear one once in a blue moon.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4113&pictureid=126391

Anywhere... any picture I see of your hair makes me thud. :crush:

millyaulait
February 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I wear a ponytail 1-2x a week. I used to wear it everyday(!) but I noticed a lot of breakage & now I have a "layer" of broken hair where my elastic used to sit 24/7. Lesson learned! I use mostly sticks & for some reason I now see a ponytail as fancy because it's one of the rare times people can see my length in a way since it's usually all tucked in a twist. :)

StellaKatherine
February 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
The longer my hair grows the less i wear normal ponytail. But i do wear it times to times, i like how i still can show my long hair and keep my neck "free" with a ponytail :D

dulce
February 18th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I wear low ponytails often but not higher up [pulls too much on roots] and use flexi 8 clips and very soft chiffon scrunchies.So far hair is ok.

Iolanthe13
February 18th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I like an occasional ponytail. Mainly I save them for when I'm visiting the boyfriend, since he likes it; it's easier to make a bun or half-up style look right, I find.

Tisiloves
February 18th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I pony-up with a lovely soft scrunchie, other than just about french pigtails its all I can do atm. I hardly ever wore them when my hair was longer. I am a klutz and once shut it in a taxi door.

Hollyfire3
February 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
I think my hair is too heavy for it; I have Spidermom's problem of it always slipping down.
Plus, the last couple of times I did it, my hair next to my back got super-tangled. I actually think down is better for me than ponytails . . .

This is so true, they pull soo much! and tangle and slip and my hair's only BSL...well, their fun every once and a while when i can get them super sleek and besides i think my hair looks good up (just wish i could wear them more often)

sumidha
February 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Heck yeah I occasionally scrape my hair up into a super high pony tail and swing it around all day. I don't think pony tailing is that bad as long as you don't do it in the same spot all the time.

lolot
February 18th, 2012, 04:36 PM
i dont think a ponytail is very damaging, when i wear my hair down is sad :( i end up with a rat nest no matter what i do and that is damaging but with the pony it doesnt tangle or get trapped in anything, so i like ponytails, with them you can show lenght and hair condition something you cant get from buns

barnet_fair
November 2nd, 2022, 07:54 AM
heheh, I knew a thread like this must exist! Recently I've been wearing my hair in a low ponytail pulled over one shoulder. It provides a reasonably snug arrangement for the hair so the cuticle stays comfortable - perhaps "semi-protective" depending on how well you can keep the ends out of the way. As Prufrock asks, "Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to wear a low ponytail to sleep?" In my case, yes. It needs to be quite loose to sleep, however.

https://my.dailyvanity.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/two-step-low-ponytail.jpg

Pictured (from a magazine article): low-to-medium ponytail on the left, low ponytail on the right. "Low ponytail" means to me that the ponytail is in contact with the nape, or at least is pointing quite definitely downwards at its beginning.
A low-to-medium ponytail suits high-collared coats and occasions without high-backed chairs. I'll usually raise the fulcrum point a few centimetres if going out (unless there will be a car involved).

Low ponytails can also be made with claw clips: unfortunately, as I only have extra large claw clips at the moment, the lovely effect of the ponytail is ruined when I can't move my head up or down.

All ponytails are wonderful as a quick way to get hair out of the arms' zone of action. May all your ponytails be comfortable, self-sufficient, and affixed at a flatteringly perfect angle!

The unexpected joys of ponytails at HL. I didn't think I'd still be wearing them.

They can also be androgynous and sexy.

tuanyiji
November 2nd, 2022, 08:27 AM
I pony once or twice in a month to measure my circumference or for a special updo that I usually take done within 30 minutes.
Nowadays I don’t really see the point of wearing a pony or a braid as a daily style, the swinging hair around my back and shoulders honestly scares me and attack me for real. My thigh once got bruised by the whiplash of my braid while I was using the bathroom. Safety first is all I’m gonna say, bunning is a protective style indeed, it protects me and others from my hair.

lapis_lazuli
November 2nd, 2022, 10:13 AM
Just thinking about it hurts my head. But I used to love wearing a high ponytail when my hair was MBL-waist.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2022, 11:55 AM
Just thinking about it hurts my head. But I used to love wearing a high ponytail when my hair was MBL-waist.

IKR! Same here. All that mass up high (because I don't wear low pony's)... no way!

Sea_Otter spins
November 2nd, 2022, 01:06 PM
I've worn a ponytail daily for years.

Garnetgem
November 2nd, 2022, 02:21 PM
Not worn a pony in ages it makes my scalp ache with the weight of my hair.

baanoo
November 2nd, 2022, 03:23 PM
I love a ponytail - high, medium, and low - but if I wear them out I get super tangles like you would not believe.

Glitch
November 2nd, 2022, 04:42 PM
Not worn a pony in ages it makes my scalp ache with the weight of my hair.

Same. And the rare occasion that I do, I definitely can't keep it in for long. I wish! I adore high ponytails.

Shug
November 2nd, 2022, 05:16 PM
https://i.ibb.co/T1g8ZZr/ABAC6-C36-5058-4-BA0-84-C2-30-E4-B18-EFD4-C.jpg (https://ibb.co/Sc3n22J)

I still love ponytails but I can’t wear them very long without my head hurting from the weight of the hair :D

Bri-Chan
November 3rd, 2022, 02:31 AM
I do, sometimes. I have a very sensitive scalp and sometimes a low ponytail is all it can stand.
I really appreciate the look of a high ponytail, but I don't think I have the right hair type. Every time it just drops and I have to fix it constantly.

GoatLady
November 5th, 2022, 10:04 AM
My ponytails always look crazy and unkempt. My hair refuses to behave.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/5833a5_d60df24abd20491cb1eb4b6164c20285~mv2.jpg

Iyashikei
November 5th, 2022, 11:35 AM
It's in a high ponytail right now. A bun can cause headaches to me while a ponytail doesn't.

Lady Winchester
March 18th, 2023, 03:31 PM
I always wear my hair in a ponytail, probably because I'm too lazy to style it any other way. When it first started growing long from coming back from chemo, I used to just wear barrettes and leave it down, but it wasn't long after that that I started to put it back in a ponytail. I only ever had one person comment on this hairstyle. When I was in a pre-employment program about ten years ago, someone asked if it didn't hurt my head to always wear my hair back all of the time. I said that it didn't (only high ponytails give me a headache, and I usually wear the low ones, gathered at the nape of the neck). To the person that asked me, she thought that was a sign to get one's hair chopped off (she only had shoulder length hair, like I had in high school). Right. Get it chopped off, end up hating it because I can't style it the way I usually do (since it's too short), grow it back and end up putting it back in a ponytail again, so what was the point of chopping it off in the first place if I wasn't planning on keeping it?

When it was shoulder length, since a ponytail kept falling out (since there wasn't enough hair to keep it in place), I usually wore my hair back with a single barrette, but even that style can give you a headache if worn too much. It's now in a loose ponytail because the covered elastic I'm using is wearing out and I'm too lazy to change it (have lots more). Is there a cure to lazyness, since even an afternoon nap usually wins out rather than cleaning my apartment (unless it gets too disgusting even for me, or my allergies can't take it any more).:smile:

rosmarinus
March 19th, 2023, 01:13 PM
Ah I love ponytails but I've been trying to learn braids to replace them... I think ponytail looks good on me, but my hair tends to get very tangled, it gets even more tangled in a ponytail than when it is open. So I've been without a ponytail for about a month now(omg) and I've started to get used on how braids look on me. I like fishtail braid especially. But if not ponytail I think I can still do a ponytail braid once in a while. Next step is to get used to buns.

WednesdayAddams
March 19th, 2023, 11:47 PM
I love ponytails. I have bangs so I like ponytails and buns...I think the look of bangs w/the rest back is somehow sophisticated and fun at the same time.