PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever achieved thicker hair?

Annalouise
November 8th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hi, I have experienced hair loss, as I'm sure many people have. Going from a ii to a i.

I am wondering, has anyone ever grown thicker hair?

If so, how did you achieve it?:)

MicheleClaire
November 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I'm about to try castor oil, which supposedly helps keep hair from falling out and helps it grow faster. I'll let you know how it works for me, but you can also search the forums for the castor oil thread, there are some great before and after pics in there. Good luck!

akilina
November 8th, 2011, 03:10 PM
yes, castor oil! ^ ^
ive been using it for 4 days and ive seen a huge difference already. my growth has increased and so has my thickness. i have been using this little jar i got of "hollywood beauty castor oil"
it has:
castor oil, mink oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E, jojoba oil, safflower oil, lanolin, cocobutter.
its also surprisingly very light on my hair. it doesnt weigh it down or make it greasy
also ive heard alot that henna thickens your hair. im new to henna i just got some in the mail today and ive been trying to learn about it before i actually do it

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 03:11 PM
No advice, have naturally thick hair. Would hate to have it thicker than it already is... Good luck!

Libbylou
November 8th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I know when I put honey in my hair it feels thicker. Until I wash it out. I use it in my home made styling spray.

Yozhik
November 8th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I've found my circumference vastly increased in the two years since I joined this forum.

I'm attributing it to gentler detangling methods, a lot more updos, and overall more hair-awareness.

jacqueline101
November 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I have noticed my ends are thicker I think that has to do with better care techniques. I have less damage in my hair.

Diamond.Eyes
November 8th, 2011, 04:44 PM
My hair is naturally quite thick for being almost stick-straight. But I have noticed quite a difference in the thickness of my hair since I've started using rooibos tea as a spritz and stopped using a hair brush and resorted to only using my tangle teezer. I now *maybe* have about 5-10 hairs fall out daily, which is a great improvement for my hair. :)

spike316
November 8th, 2011, 05:19 PM
I would recommend checking out the castor oil and monistat threads. Also if you can get shampoo bars (the real soap kind, not lush) to work for you that's supposed to make hair thicker as well.

candycandace
November 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I ordered a tangle teezer online a week or so ago, and my hair hair has stopped falling out so much. It's really an awesome tool and I think anyone who is concerned with fall-out should get one.

KiwiBum
November 8th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Going 'no shampoo' made my hair appear and feel thicker. I have very fine hair that tends to go limp and stringy easily, and washing with baking soda and occasional apple cider vinegar rinses made my hair look HUGE. If you can stand the transition period, I'd say try it.

The only thing that kept me from continuing 'no poo' was that I missed actually washing my hair and could never fully get rid of the buildup. I now use shampoo bars and my hair looks a lot fuller and healthier than it did with regular shampoo and conditioner, but not as huge as when I just used baking soda. I Definitely recommend poo bars too. Most of them are made with herbs and oils that are good for your scalp and hair.

Lici1209
November 8th, 2011, 08:01 PM
It's working that quick?! Wow!

xoxophelia
November 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Make sure your diet is in order. I noticed you are vegetarian or vegan. That can lead to hair loss. Check your protein levels, variety, and make sure you are getting enough B12 and iron. That could possibly make all of the difference.

LocustSpawning
November 9th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Ah yes, definitely. Before I joined here my hair was very thin, now it looks pretty thick to me, for 1b hair. I didn't do anything to particularly battle the thin-ness, it's just something that happened when I started looking after my hair properly.

Avital88
November 9th, 2011, 06:55 AM
yes me..stopped the heat,vitamins and no coloring improved a lot.also stretch washes and extra protein

Aveyronnaise
November 9th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Make sure your diet is in order. I noticed you are vegetarian or vegan. That can lead to hair loss. Check your protein levels, variety, and make sure you are getting enough B12 and iron. That could possibly make all of the difference.

I am going to second this . Also I had some hormonal hair loss from the time after pregnancy and also after extended breastfeeding.
I started castor oil in March , I don't really know if it has helped with growth that much but I do have lots and lots of baby hairs in the spots up in the front of my hair that were sparse.
Incidentally, my scalp loves the castor oil like no other. I used to use that coal tar shampoo in the states and it never worked as well as castor oil.
Anyhow, I wish you much luck .

Annalouise
November 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I've found my circumference vastly increased in the two years since I joined this forum.

I'm attributing it to gentler detangling methods, a lot more updos, and overall more hair-awareness.

Hi Yozhik, I agree about gentler detangling methods and I am wearing my hair up more now. Thanks:)

My hair is naturally quite thick for being almost stick-straight. But I have noticed quite a difference in the thickness of my hair since I've started using rooibos tea as a spritz and stopped using a hair brush and resorted to only using my tangle teezer. I now *maybe* have about 5-10 hairs fall out daily, which is a great improvement for my hair. :)

Hi Diamond.eyes, I also gave up using a hair brush and I'm only going to use a comb. So much of my hair would come out when I used a BBB. And the brush would get tangled in my fine hair. I'll check out a tangle teezer. Thanks!:)

I would recommend checking out the castor oil and monistat threads. Also if you can get shampoo bars (the real soap kind, not lush) to work for you that's supposed to make hair thicker as well.

Hi Spike, I have used castile bar soap and liquid in the past. What I noticed about soap is that it made my hair look a LOT bigger. But I fear that is because it lifts the cuticle. And I also fear it is more drying then a gentle shampoo. I'm not too sure about soap for hair? Hmmm.... why is it most hair stylists will tell you not to wash your hair with soap? And at the long hair salons they wash hair with shampoo. I think maybe soap is not good in the long haul..but I'm not totally sure. I have a hair book that says you should wash your hair with soap. So I guess people have different opinions on this.:confused:

Going 'no shampoo' made my hair appear and feel thicker. I have very fine hair that tends to go limp and stringy easily, and washing with baking soda and occasional apple cider vinegar rinses made my hair look HUGE. If you can stand the transition period, I'd say try it.

The only thing that kept me from continuing 'no poo' was that I missed actually washing my hair and could never fully get rid of the buildup. I now use shampoo bars and my hair looks a lot fuller and healthier than it did with regular shampoo and conditioner, but not as huge as when I just used baking soda. I Definitely recommend poo bars too. Most of them are made with herbs and oils that are good for your scalp and hair.

Hi Kiwibum, I think if it makes your hair huge that is a bad thing. It means it is lifting the cuticle. That is why henna makes the hair big. I too notice that my fine hair looks flatter when using shampoo, but I think this is a good thing. It means the cuticle is lying down flat and that is what you want to keep moisture in. I'm not sure though...:confused:

Hi Xoxophelia, I agree about the diet. I started taking a multi vitamin with iron, B12, folic acid, zinc, biotin, calcium/mag, and a multi B vitamin. My diet isn't that great. Literally, all I eat is white rice, tofu, Bragg soy sauce, soy milk, and gluten free beer.:D The beer is good for the hair right?:p

yes me..stopped the heat,vitamins and no coloring improved a lot.also stretch washes and extra protein

Hi Avital, thanks for the tip about hair coloring. My husband wants me to color my hair because I'm starting to get white hairs. But after considering it I feel its contrary to getting long healthy hair. Especially since I have fine hair already. So hubby is just going to have to love the color grey!:D I don't know if I can get extra protein. Maybe if I eat more nuts. That is a good idea. You are right about protein being important.

I am going to second this . Also I had some hormonal hair loss from the time after pregnancy and also after extended breastfeeding.
I started castor oil in March , I don't really know if it has helped with growth that much but I do have lots and lots of baby hairs in the spots up in the front of my hair that were sparse.
Incidentally, my scalp loves the castor oil like no other. I used to use that coal tar shampoo in the states and it never worked as well as castor oil.
Anyhow, I wish you much luck .

Hi Aveyronnaise, hmm, I'm not sure if I'm going to try castor oil despite the good reviews. The reason why is I'll have to use MORE soap or shampoo to remove it. I don't know if I'll go that route, but thanks for the tip, I have heard also that castor oil really does improve circulation and hair growth. Maybe I'll try it one day. I don't know.:confused:

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips.:D

Ayvee9
January 1st, 2016, 11:21 PM
Hi, I have experienced hair loss, as I'm sure many people have. Going from a ii to a i.

I am wondering, has anyone ever grown thicker hair?

If so, how did you achieve it?:)

My mom has thin hair and so do I and I hate it. So I did some research and decided to try Olive Oil.

So what I did was to apply (warm but not too hot) Virgin Olive Oil once a week all over my scalp to the tips of my hair, focusing on my hairline cause I have thin hairline. I massaged my scalp for a few minutes, sometimes even upside down to let the blood flow. I would leave this on over night and wash it off when I take a shower. Almost every night I make sure to massage my scalp. The next morning I make sure to shampoo atleast twice cause I noticed that It would look greasy if I dont wash it right. Then after a month and a half, my friend was laughing at me cause she said that I looked like a bird's nest cause all my new baby hairs were sticking straight up. I was so happy 😃 After about three months I had seriously noticeably thicker hair in my hairline.

I recommend you guys try this. It wouldnt hurt plus Olive oil does wonders for your hair aside from thickening it. 👍🏻

branbran
December 20th, 2019, 05:23 AM
I really want my thick hair back, but I have to take birth control pills in order to live pain free. Without it I'd be miserable. So I will have to live with less thickness for the time being.

I also would mention checking with your doctor to test for anemia and other deficiencies. Blood builders and Vit C tablets have changed the quality of my hair in such a short time! But please talk to your doctor first. I had severe anemia and the sickle cell trait.

lapushka
December 20th, 2019, 05:40 AM
I really want my thick hair back, but I have to take birth control pills in order to live pain free. Without it I'd be miserable. So I will have to live with less thickness for the time being.

I also would mention checking with your doctor to test for anemia and other deficiencies. Blood builders and Vit C tablets have changed the quality of my hair in such a short time! But please talk to your doctor first. I had severe anemia and the sickle cell trait.

I'm willing to bet getting the anemia under control will help *hugely* with thickness. Iron shortage & anemia is often killer to the thickness of the hair.