PDA

View Full Version : Does pulling at your hair help it grow?

Fluffy01
November 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I've been doing scalp massages recently, but I didn't feel like I was doing it right :lol: So one night I just began grabbing different sections of my hair near the scalp and gently pulling it up from the scalp. It actually felt really good. I don't think I lost anymore hair than normal, but I was wondering if anyone else did this "technique" and if it worked well for them? Thanks!

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I'm having the weirdest deja vu. I could swear this exact question was asked on here once, with exactly the same scenario (massaging/pulling).

Or am I crazy?

Fluffy01
November 8th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Well I am on two antibiotics four times a day...it is possible I have had a brain freeze and posted this in the past. ;)

Madora
November 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Pulling your hair will not make it grow. Massaging the hair follicles gently will help nourish the follicles, which may encourage hair growth.

Hair growth depends on several factors, including general hair care, diet and your genes.

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
deleted for no reason at all

Slinks
November 8th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I do this as a stress buster rather than to grow my hair - it relaxes me .. I sit with my head between my knees, chest on thighs and gently pull and massage my hair and scalp - I did this long before LHC, long before I decided to grow my hair :-)

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I do that when I have a headache.. It helps with that, I don't know about the growth though

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm having the weirdest deja vu. I could swear this exact question was asked on here once, with exactly the same scenario (massaging/pulling).

Or am I crazy?

It was asked. I remember. A couple of months ago.

jacqueline101
November 8th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I did the tug method when I combed my hair. I'd give it a gentle tug and would pony tail it. It seemed to grow.

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Nothing to see here.

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 06:51 PM
:rolleyes: Is this another one of those perv things? And if it is, why are we so passive-aggressive?

Um. Whaaaaaat? :confused: Are you serious or are you just joking around?

Nobody said it was a perv. I'm hoping you're just joking around...if not, wow, you seem MAD tonight, hon...maybe take a break. Because at this point you're just getting aggressive/argumentative...IMO. Just something I'm definitely sensing which is why I'm answering here rather than going immediately to a mod.

If not, and you really are joking, that was awesome and you got me. :o I really don't mean to offend you but seriously. Nobody said anyone was a perv and nobody is being passive-aggressive. I admit I'm just slightly offended by that statement, which is why I said something.

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Gosh it's always a thing around here. :cheese:

Well, once you've been around here longer than about 8 days you'll know a bit better what it "always" is around here. ;) That's just a simple fact: this isn't the kind of community where there's frequently a "thing" of this nature. It's rare...and it's nipped in the bud...fast. So no need to worry about that.

You should read back a bit more to see how smoothly this forum typically goes. The people are (generally) easygoing and the mods are outstanding. If you feel there's something perverted going on, the best thing to do is alert a mod.

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Um. Whaaaaaat? :confused: Are you serious or are you just joking around?

Nobody said it was a perv. I'm hoping you're just joking around...if not, wow, you seem MAD tonight, hon...maybe take a break. Because at this point you're just getting aggressive.

If not, and you really are joking, that was awesome and you got me. :o I really don't mean to offend you but seriously. Nobody said anyone was a perv and nobody is being passive-aggressive. I admit I'm just slightly offended by that statement, which is why I said something.

I wasn't mad but I kinda am now. Well not really mad but a very confused. I don't get it. A few days ago someone completely insulted a member and I called them out on it and I got a message saying that we have to watch out for pervs on this board and she gave me a whole list of things to watch out for. Repeating questions was one of them. I looked at the thread she gave me as an example and there was a bunch of this kind of off topic saying, "Oh haven't I heard this before.." posts with laughing emoticons and nothing else. That's pretty passive-aggressive to me. We're all like that sometimes, and I didn't mean it as an insult. I was trying to take an awkward situation and make it humorous. But apparently there is no situation!?

So which is it!? Honestly. Now I have to change all my posts again. I'm not trying to offend people!

And stop patronizing me! "You seem so angry, you should take a break." I don't even talk to my 3 year old like that.

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Well, once you've been around here longer than about 8 days you'll know a bit better what it "always" is around here. ;) That's just a simple fact: this isn't the kind of community where there's possibly a "thing" of this nature. So no need to worry about that.

You should read back a bit more to see how smoothly this forum typically goes. The people are (generally) easygoing and the mods are outstanding. If you feel there's something perverted going on, the best thing to do is alert a mod.

Well I got a private message from a poster who used to be a moderator and has been around longer than you telling me that this IS a thing around here. :confused:

Ugh, again with the patronizing. It's getting a little old. Can you talk any way but down?

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 07:03 PM
OP I'm so sorry your thread got steam rolled by my newbie confusion. Please carry on.

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I wasn't mad but I kinda am now. Well not really mad but a very confused. I don't get it. A few days ago someone completely insulted a member and I called them out on it and I got a message saying that we have to watch out for pervs on this board and she gave me a whole list of things to watch out for.

It sounds like you have an awful lot of grievances about the nature of this board and the posters. It doesn't sound like just one thing. You have quite a bit you feel the need to argue and complain about. Since this board is generally easygoing -- something I know from having been here for years -- my suggestion was to take a step back rather than getting more heated, as quite a bit here seems to be bothering you tonight, not just any one thing.

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Well I got a private message from a poster who used to be a moderator and has been around longer than you telling me that this IS a thing around here. :confused:?

Did you look up past posts to see whether or not that was accurate? :)

Because it's not, if you're talking about any sort of frequency at all of its occurrence.

If you'd like to PM me, since I'm obviously the "we" you're taking about, please do so. I will explain everything without further thread derailment. Your other option is to contact a moderator.

gthlvrmx
November 8th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Im sure it works in the same way regular massaging goes. (there is an article in here on how to properly massage your scalp, google it "scalp massage article long hair community"). Whatever you do to get blood circulation going faster and getting more nutrients to those follicles will always change the way your hair grows. :) Just dont pull too tight!! If it get's sore or anything, don't do it. I suggest not doing at all (i have a sensitive scalp) because too much pulling over time can cause some hairs to fall out, or that alopecia thing. It's probably me with the sensitive scalp. :P

But scalp massages work just as good, and i heard doing them upside down or in a warm shower works too, more blood flow. :)

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Im sure it works in the same way regular massaging goes. (there is an article in here on how to properly massage your scalp, google it "scalp massage article long hair community"). (snip)

Massaging definitely can help promote growth, at least in my experience. It only makes sense, since you're increasing circulation around the pores where the hairs are created, probably opening up the occasional little bitty clog or two in the process (I know -- eew! :p ), and just generally providing stimulation.

And...it feels soooooo good.

I give myself a couple of head massages a week, usually at night, during my relaxation time. It's heaven.

Since it's unlikely it can hurt and possible it can help, I say to the OP, go for it. But if you're actually tugging rather than massaging, be gentle.

Fairytale
November 8th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I have a compulsive behavior of pulling my hair in little sections gently, it helps me relax;) . I too feel that it helped somewhat with the stimulating the hair follicles maybe "waking them up a bit ".

It seems my hair grows faster when I pull it into high buns for a while or play with it more in a given month.
Everyone is different ,I say whatever works for you do it !:D

Happy Growing

shikara
November 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I understand that indeed it does contribute to hair growth, hair health, and stronger follicles, by the method of stimulation. I also really like the way it feels! Probably your hIr has limits as to how fast it can grow give optimum conditions, and this is one way to contribute to that. As an example, my hair grows MUCH faster when I incorporate 10 minutes of low impact jogging on the spot.

KwaveT
November 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
deleted for no reason at all

You have committed two infractions already in this thread. You are about to get yourself in major trouble or even banned. You are abusing the purpose of editing the posts. Here's a link to forum rules and pay particular to fourth item.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4005

PixxieStix
November 8th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I thought I read somewhere that pulling the hair too much (even gently but over time) can cause the hair to shorten its growth phase and actually prevent it from growing longer? Massaging is good, it stimulates blood flow that feeds the hair follicles, but I guess it depends entirely on how much and what kind of tugging you are doing to the hair, frequency and what you scalp can tolerate.

CurlyCap
November 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I pull my hair all the time. I boing my curls mostly, just harder than needed and in a weird direction.

It feels better than a massage actually. It's my hair equivalent of doing stretches.

I don't know if it leads to growth, but usually my body is right when it tells me something feels good.

Yozhik
November 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I saw a video on youtube, I think, of Indian families doing this (pulling at the follicles). If I'm not mistaken, it's a traditional method to strengthen the follicles.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than me on this subject will step in. :)

owlathena
November 8th, 2011, 11:24 PM
I do this because it feels good. I hope it helps growth!

Avital88
November 9th, 2011, 12:09 AM
yes i do this a few times a week.. i just have to do it,i have this weird itch like my hair is growing and i feel pulling it is helping it haha, im weird but i cant help it

Merlin
November 9th, 2011, 02:42 AM
You have committed two infractions already in this thread. You are about to get yourself in major trouble or even banned. You are abusing the purpose of editing the posts. Here's a link to forum rules and pay particular to fourth item.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4005

Can I just point out that the reason we have moderators on this forum is to let them moderate. In my experience the forum works a whole lot better if we let them deal with potential infractions though either a 'mod hat on' post or a PM - rather than members themselves attempting to do it.

KwaveT
November 9th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Can I just point out that the reason we have moderators on this forum is to let them moderate. In my experience the forum works a whole lot better if we let them deal with potential infractions though either a 'mod hat on' post or a PM - rather than members themselves attempting to do it.

I did not know about the private messaging system at the time. Like the poster I mentioned above I have not been here long either. The two of use done hashed it out through a series of PMs.

Fluffy01
November 9th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah, see I'm not "pulling" as in "tugging" you know? I can see where that would be damaging. Just grabbing a handful of hair and gently pulling up cause it does feel good. :) Maybe I will get extra benefits too!

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 07:54 AM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4005There is a R button for reporting issues like this! I totally agree with what you have said, I saw the original post and was shocked! Welcome aboard

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 07:59 AM

not every newbie knows about the report button and stuff it takes time. Like you said leave the mods to sort this out, in the mean time :cheese::cheese::cheese:

nellreno
November 11th, 2011, 09:17 AM
It might cause more blood to run to hour scalp which in turn might cause a small bit of extra growth if you do it regularly. I don't think it's going to be like an extra inch or two a month though.

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I think it possibly could as it would be the same as massaging the scalp. I have definitely seen an increase since using a BBB.

Purdy Bear
November 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Im afraid hair pulling can cause more problems then not.

There is one illness, I believe psychological, which is called Trichotillomania, where the person when stressed pulls at their hair so much in falls out in patches and thins, and can cause considerable hair loss.

Another is Traction alopecia, where a person pulls their hair into severe updos and over time causes root damage to the hair and thus hair loss which will regrow if your lucky when updos are stopped.

Pulling your hair wont make it grow any longer, massaging the hair does as it will stimulate the roots.

Imagine pulling at grass, it just lifts it from the root bed and thats how it effects your hair if you pull it.

I have Alopecia Univarlis (total body hair loss) so I know a bit about hair loss.

Dont pull your hair infact be the reverse, treat it gently, dont tug at it and it will last the course. All the tugging and pulling is just destressing the hair root.

GlennaGirl
November 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I think it possibly could as it would be the same as massaging the scalp. I have definitely seen an increase since using a BBB.

(hijack alert) Your hair is growing PHENOMENALLY, Jo. So I guess that's Score One for BBBs! (end hijack, carry on)

jojo
November 11th, 2011, 01:25 PM
(hijack alert) Your hair is growing PHENOMENALLY, Jo. So I guess that's Score One for BBBs! (end hijack, carry on)

thank you:)