PDA

View Full Version : Who only uses organic, natural products devoid of chemicals?

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I always read about people who use Aussie, or Herbal Essences, or Pantene.
I'm wondering though how many are like me who just use organic natural products on their hair, and only these products?

PS. I know there are natural chemicals, but I'm talking about the stuff that's unpronounceable. The stuff that is so far away from being an extract of aloe that you have no idea what it is. I'm talking about products devoid of these chemicals, of synthetic ingredients, and has only the straight s**t. :eyebrows:

Some examples of brands like what I'm talking about:
Prairie Naturals
Oneka
(these are the only two organic natural products I use, that are NOT green washed, are one of which is local. They are both made in my home country of Canada). :p

What brands do you guys use?

Other products I use (not on my hair): pure mineral makeup on my skin, from a company that just has the one mineral on it, not mixes and not fillers like cornstarch, and without pore clogging bismuth. I also like using makeup made out of flowers. I use deodorant made out of salt crystals, but don't use it often because most people can't tell I have body odor- I smell like Indian spices apparently (and I rarely use spices in my food or eat Indian. Go figure). I use natural homemade products to clean my home. I use baking soda as toothpaste.

kouran
November 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I notice that even the natural shampoos and conditioners have a few chemicals, so I prefer to use products with no chemicals at all, like ayurvedic herbs, oils and shampoo bars. When I did used 'natural' shampoos and conditioners my favourite was Alverde products, but they reformulated and now they make my hair too oily...:(

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm currently trying to find a balance between natural stuff, stuff my allergies can tolerate and still having hair I can live with. LOL

If the Indian herbs or clay don't do it for me, I may try these: http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-shampoo
http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-conditioner
I'm not thrilled about parabens in the shampoo, but it could be a lot worse.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I'm currently trying to find a balance between natural stuff, stuff my allergies can tolerate and still having hair I can live with. LOL

If the Indian herbs or clay don't do it for me, I may try these: http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-shampoo
http://www.pureabba.com/products/specialty/gentle-conditioner
I'm not thrilled about parabens in the shampoo, but it could be a lot worse.

I've seen abba around... Some of my friends use it... I jut won't touch it because of the parabens... lol

aisha.christine
November 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I've used the Desert Essence Organics and Burt's Bees. They both rock, but the Desert Essence lathers better. Right now I'm using Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugar Beet. It smells divine. :)
I like organic/natural shampoos because my hair actually feels clean after I wash, not to mention my hair loves it.

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it's up to everyone. I'm a "balance your risks" kind of girl. Parabens are not bio-accumulative and they are processed out of your body fairly quickly. Although there is some skin absorption, at least the shampoo is only on my hair for a minute or two. I sure wouldn't want parabens in anything I planned to leave on all day - cream or deodorant or something.

And hey, I might find something else I like or decide I don't like the abba for some other reason. ;)

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, it's up to everyone. I'm a "balance your risks" kind of girl. Parabens are not bio-accumulative and they are processed out of your body fairly quickly. Although there is some skin absorption, at least the shampoo is only on my hair for a minute or two. I sure wouldn't want parabens in anything I planned to leave on all day - cream or deodorant or something.

And hey, I might find something else I like or decide I don't like the abba for some other reason. ;)

Oh for sure, it's all about balance. Didn't mean anything by my comment above.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've used the Desert Essence Organics and Burt's Bees. They both rock, but the Desert Essence lathers better. Right now I'm using Burt's Bees Grapefruit and Sugar Beet. It smells divine. :)
I like organic/natural shampoos because my hair actually feels clean after I wash, not to mention my hair loves it.

I've tried that. It's funny... I stopped using it on my hair and gave it to my husband because my hair felt TOO clean- it tangled very easily with that shampoo... :( But it did smell AMAZING! :D

mora
November 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I like the John Masters (http://www.johnmasters.com/) conditioners but sometimes I just use catnip instead.

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Oh for sure, it's all about balance. Didn't mean anything by my comment above.
Sorry not to be clear. I didn't take it personally! Just saying I'd love to be without it too, but if that's what works in the end, that's something I'm willing to compromise on.

Sundial
November 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I first experimented with organic/natural stuff when I found LHC. Then I realized that my ezcema didn't flare up as often. So I just assumed that chemicals in conventional products might be the cause of my problem and I stuck to natural hair care products

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 11:21 AM
I first experimented with organic/natural stuff when I found LHC. Then I realized that my ezcema didn't flare up as often. So I just assumed that chemicals in conventional products might be the cause of my problem and I stuck to natural hair care products

One of the reasons I switched to organic natural products was because SLS caused and other chemicals cause acne in my hairline and on my face! yuck! After I switched I stopped getting it.:D

perkidanman
November 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I'm a greenie here. All my shampoo is Chagrin Valley or that Mehendi store (the one that sells henna) brand, all my conditioner is vinegar or toadstoolsoaps brand conditioner (which the most 'artificial' thing is the fragrance oils rather than essential oils), my lotions are natural butters, my deoderant is from Chagrin Valley (love that stuff), and I wash my clothing in homemade laundry powder.

Libbylou
November 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I'm starting to do this, I use kiss my face and dr. bonners soaps. I like Natures Gate shampoo. but I think there are some chemicals in it. I clean my floors with either vinegar or dr. bonners. Make my own furniture polish, and my styling lotion for my hair. I still have lots of dishwasher soap and laundry detergent that is the regular kind, can't see wasting it. I use regular dish soap most of the time.

Chromis
November 8th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I use "natural" products, but dislike the whole "no chemicals" things that people seem to associate with them. I realize you clarified, OP, but it is a pet peeve of mine! There are plenty of perfectly natural things that are hard to pronounce out there :lol:

I use CV shampoo bars, local organic ACV, handmade soaps, mineral make up by small ethical vendors like SunCat, organic coconut oil, and I support local foods as well. If I am not buying local, it is normally something I just can't find here like shampoo bars and I chose to support a small craftsperson instead. I do not buy much in general.

iszolda111
November 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I only used organic natural shampoo and conditioner for 2 years. They worked fine, they didn't really improve my hair compared to un-organic products. I moved to a small town where I cant buy those products anymore, I started using the best "normal" things I could find. I used tresemme naturals and my hair is in way bettr condition than it was with the organic products, and it grew faster and longer than it had grown in years. So although I was a hardcore believer in only using natural things on your body, experience has dictated otherwise, so now I can't reall advise using only organic like I did before.

archel
November 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
iszolda11, I had the same experience with my facial care. I think my face just hates anything herbal. I went back to Clinique and my face has never done better.

I do use Giovanni stuff for my hair, but it is not 100% natural like they would like you to believe. Pretty close, though.

airmid
November 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I use natural products in every area of my life, including my body. Although sometimes my natural products do end up having a few chemicals, I always make sure it's nothing too terrible. Right now I'm not very happy with my shampoo and conditioner. I make next to no money and have to get whatever's on sale in the organics aisle at the grocery store. So right now, I'm using Avalon Organics Rosemary shampoo and Kiss My Face Miss-Treated palmarosa mint conditioner. Actually, the conditioner isn't bad at all, just a little too heavy for my hair. I am not a fan of using Avalon Organics products on my hair, they may be great for some but they make my hair tangly and strips out all the natural oils. :(
What I really enjoy is making my own products. I love herbs, and one day I lucked into a 2$ copy of Jeanne Rose's "Herbal Body Book" in a used book store. It's so fun to experiment and make your own hair products out of cheap natural ingredients!

Annalouise
November 8th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I've tried everything. Herbs, oils, vinegar, castile soap. etc..
I don't really consider soap "natural" though because it requires chemicals to make soap.

Right now I am using Aveda shampoo and conditioner. I sortof gave up on the "natural" thing.

I did WO, that is as natural as it gets, and my hair was a MESS! and it fell out from clogged pores! Mon dieu! That was the worst thing I ever did.

Annibelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:02 PM
What I really enjoy is making my own products. I love herbs, and one day I lucked into a 2$ copy of Jeanne Rose's "Herbal Body Book" in a used book store. It's so fun to experiment and make your own hair products out of cheap natural ingredients!

Could you tell us more about this? Maybe head over to my new thread over here? : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=81647 :eyebrows:

I did WO, that is as natural as it gets, and my hair was a MESS! and it fell out from clogged pores! Mon dieu! That was the worst thing I ever did.

:( Same here! I wanted it to work so badly, but after a month of WO, my hair hadn't even begun transitioning (still looked like I had just gone an extra day without washing) and my hair was shedding like mad. I went back to CO after that, kept shedding, and the shedding stopped the day I used shampoo again. Now I can CO without shedding issues, but I guess I needed a good cleaning first.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I use "natural" products, but dislike the whole "no chemicals" things that people seem to associate with them. I realize you clarified, OP, but it is a pet peeve of mine! There are plenty of perfectly natural things that are hard to pronounce out there :lol:

I use CV shampoo bars, local organic ACV, handmade soaps, mineral make up by small ethical vendors like SunCat, organic coconut oil, and I support local foods as well. If I am not buying local, it is normally something I just can't find here like shampoo bars and I chose to support a small craftsperson instead. I do not buy much in general.

Oh yes, I understand what you mean, it's a pet peeve of mine as well, which is why I tried to clarify :)

Medusa
November 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
iszolda11, I had the same experience with my facial care. I think my face just hates anything herbal. I went back to Clinique and my face has never done better.

I do use Giovanni stuff for my hair, but it is not 100% natural like they would like you to believe. Pretty close, though.

Same here with the facial care. I tried the OCM and my skin looked awesome for two weeks...and then I got horrible, painful cystic pimples, and my face became very sensitive and red after I'd wash it. I experimented with various oils and they ALL did it. So I went back to my Olay and my face is happy again. I've tried mineral makeup and I don't like it.

For my hair, I use Desert Essence and Avalon Organics, and a natural curl cream. They work great and I'm very happy with them.

I'm tempted to try a natural deodorant instead of my standard grocery store stick - anyone have suggestions?

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Same here with the facial care. I tried the OCM and my skin looked awesome for two weeks...and then I got horrible, painful cystic pimples, and my face became very sensitive and red after I'd wash it. I experimented with various oils and they ALL did it. So I went back to my Olay and my face is happy again. I've tried mineral makeup and I don't like it.

For my hair, I use Desert Essence and Avalon Organics, and a natural curl cream. They work great and I'm very happy with them.

I'm tempted to try a natural deodorant instead of my standard grocery store stick - anyone have suggestions?

This is what I use: http://well.ca/products/naturally-fresh-deodorant-crystal_8075.html?ref=relprod&related_product=8067

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I use either baking soda and vinegar on my hair, or oile oil and Orgynx (a canadian product) or prairie naturals (another canadian thing). I have a conditioner that I bought for deep conditioning that is chemical I think (European) but as I seem to be mostly using it to shave my legs... LOL.

I use Live Clean or Burts Bees body lotion.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I use either baking soda and vinegar on my hair, or oile oil and Orgynx (a canadian product) or prairie naturals (another canadian thing). I have a conditioner that I bought for deep conditioning that is chemical I think (European) but as I seem to be mostly using it to shave my legs... LOL.

I use Live Clean or Burts Bees body lotion.

I've used Orgnyx as well, for awhile. I LOVE Prairie Naturals! :) Live Clean isn't bad either!

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I've used Orgnyx as well, for awhile. I LOVE Prairie Naturals! :) Live Clean isn't bad either!

The only problem I had with Prairie Naturals was the price.. Locally it's about 20 dollars a bottle, and I have a hard time paying that because I'm cheap! lol.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The only problem I had with Prairie Naturals was the price.. Locally it's about 20 dollars a bottle, and I have a hard time paying that because I'm cheap! lol.

Weird, here it is about 12$... :shrug:

aahavaa
November 8th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I have to use stuff that's totally natural since I have multiple chemical sensitivity.
For hair I just use Urtekram no perfume shampoo and no conditioner since hair does fine without it.
I put some coconut oil on it now and then but that;s about it.And henna once every two months :D

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I might try Live Clean if they'd just make a scent free version. I can't even open one of the bottles without getting a headache. :(

I did try Prairie Naturals (it was about $16/bottle IIRC) but my hair did not like it. Waxy, waxy, waxy... Sigh.

pepperminttea
November 8th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I don't use only natural products these days, but I've certainly messed about with them a lot. If anyone's in the UK, Pure Nuff Stuff (purenuffstuff.co.uk) are well worth a look. I use their psoriasis care blend hair cleanser at the moment, and I've been a long time lover of their normal hair conditioner too. :) (I also use their 'cream dream' moisturiser which is awesome too!)

Another one for UKers - Oakwood Aromatics (http://www.oakwood-aromatics.com/). They make shampoo bars. I tried out CV shampoo bars a while back, they didn't work for me but my mother loves them. When she worked her way through my box of samples, she tried these, and they've been working just as well for her. :)

I love me some Aubrey Organics too, but the price of importing them here is just too high for me. :(

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I might try Live Clean if they'd just make a scent free version. I can't even open one of the bottles without getting a headache. :(

I did try Prairie Naturals (it was about $16/bottle IIRC) but my hair did not like it. Waxy, waxy, waxy... Sigh.
I havn't tried their shampoo or conditioner, but I'll definately make sure to smell it first. The body lotion I have of theirs in unscented. :) I may have found it in the baby section?

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I havn't tried their shampoo or conditioner, but I'll definately make sure to smell it first. The body lotion I have of theirs in unscented. :) I may have found it in the baby section?
I just went and checked the Live Clean website. I don't know if it's listed as "scented" but the description says "enriched with certified organic botanicals of chamomile, lavender and aloe". Sadly, lavender is on my "I'd rather die" list. :( Plus, it's tearless and I'm not sure I really want whatever numbing agent they are putting in it. Thanks for the thought though!!

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I just went and checked the Live Clean website. I don't know if it's listed as "scented" but the description says "enriched with certified organic botanicals of chamomile, lavender and aloe". Sadly, lavender is on my "I'd rather die" list. :( Plus, it's tearless and I'm not sure I really want whatever numbing agent they are putting in it. Thanks for the thought though!!

How about their Apple Cider Vinegar line? Smells just like ACV...

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM

Let's see... *runs to get bottle*
It says, live clean (Sensitive Skin) (their () marks not mine!)
fragrance free Body lotion

Lice clean fragrance free body lotion is enriched with vitamins A&E and certified organic botanicals of Chamomile and White tea to provide gentle, non-irritating moisturization for sensitive skin. This non-greasy formula absorbs quickly, leaving skin feeling soft and smooth.

blah blah blah (french bit)

Ingredients: Aqua(purified water), with certified organic botanicals: Camellia Sinensis Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (atricaria) Flower extract
Glycerin,Glyceryl Stearate, cocoglyceridesm dicaprylyl ether,vegetable oil, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, hydrogenated vegetable oil, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, sodium stearoyl glutamate, xanthan gum, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A palmitate), tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate), phenoxyethanol, sodium benzoate

I don't know why they can't just say what it is in plain english:rolleyes:
No lavender in mine?

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
fragrance free Body lotion

Lice clean fragrance free body lotion is enriched with vitamins A&E and certified organic botanicals of Chamomile and White tea to provide gentle, non-irritating moisturization for sensitive skin. This non-greasy formula absorbs quickly, leaving skin feeling soft and smooth.

blah blah blah (french bit)

Ingredients: Aqua(purified water), with certified organic botanicals: Camellia Sinensis Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (atricaria) Flower extract
Glycerin,Glyceryl Stearate, cocoglyceridesm dicaprylyl ether,vegetable oil, cetyl alcohol, stearyl alcohol, hydrogenated vegetable oil, euphorbia cerifera (candelilla) wax, sodium stearoyl glutamate, xanthan gum, retinyl palmitate (vitamin A palmitate), tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E acetate), phenoxyethanol, sodium benzoate

No lavender in mine?

Agreed. Which is one of the reasons I stopped using them. Either talk to me like I might not be a chemist and know every chemical out there, or you don't get any of my money! :p

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 04:58 PM
I always read about people who use Aussie, or Herbal Essences, or Pantene.
I'm wondering though how many are like me who just use organic natural products on their hair, and only these products?

PS. I know there are natural chemicals, but I'm talking about the stuff that's unpronounceable. The stuff that is so far away from being an extract of aloe that you have no idea what it is. I'm talking about products devoid of these chemicals, of synthetic ingredients, and has only the straight s**t. :eyebrows:

The thing about "chemicals" is that there are far more unpronounceable compounds in anything you find in nature that you can find on the back of your Suave bottle, and not all of them are good for you. The unpronounceable chemicals on products are 99% natural derivatives. Everything comes from nature, you can't make something out of nothing.

The industrial processes that go into making "natural" detergents, conditioners and such and such are very similar to other commercial products except their supply chain is shorter.

That being said it's much easier to find gentle detergents in natural brands, and a lot of companies are the genuine deal and are responsible (Dr. Bronner's comes to mind), others are just subsidiaries of big box companies (Burt's Bees is one of them). So they may, in fact, be better for your hair and the environment but they also may not be.

I've tried everything. Herbs, oils, vinegar, castile soap. etc..
I don't really consider soap "natural" though because it requires chemicals to make soap.

Soap is actually something you can make at home without ever touching "chemicals." Potassium hydroxide aka "pot ash" is the white stuff you get in ashes when you burn organic materials (wood, bone). The first soap was made when cooking oils spilled over into the fire ashes. We use sodium hydroxide now because it's a little safer and easier to make and to work with, but Dr. Bronner's still uses potash (which is why it is a liquid).

I am a soap enthusiast, can you tell?

My goal is to not use anything commercial, natural or not. If I can make it at home, I am interested in it. I've been transitioning to WO, and I wash my body with castile soap. I use a homemade deodorant (clay, baking soda and coconut oil), lotion (beeswax and almond oil) and toothpaste (soap, peppermint and baking soda). I've also been doing OCM which is AMAZING. I clean my house with vinegar, soap and baking soda. (Also bleach, which I have not been able to replace, because we live in a wet climate and mold can be a problem).

Sustainability! Self-Sufficiency! Hoorah!:D

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Agreed. Which is one of the reasons I stopped using them. Either talk to me like I might not be a chemist and know every chemical out there, or you don't get any of my money! :p

I did actually take two years of Chemistry and it is still overly complicated. No parabens or SLS though.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I did actually take two years of Chemistry and it is still overly complicated. No parabens or SLS though.

True enough. :)
Oh, and I was just stating in general... Not everyone is lucky enough to have studied chemistry. I've taken chemistry classes, but still... :p

moxamoll
November 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
fragrance free Body lotion...

No lavender in mine?
Oh whoops! Yeah, I was looking at the shampoo, since that's really what I, personally, am trying to find. However, even as a lotion, I've found that retinyl palmitate sets off my dermatographia, so that'd be off the roster anyway. And not that I live and die by the Cosmetic Database, but they aren't particularly impressed by the stuff either: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705545/RETINYL_PALMITATE_%28VITAMIN_A_PALMITATE%29/

holothuroidea
November 8th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I use deodorant made out of salt crystals, but don't use it often because most people can't tell I have body odor- I smell like Indian spices apparently (and I rarely use spices in my food or eat Indian. Go figure).

Butyric acid is what you're smelling and it is present in large quantities in both body odor and turmeric. I have a theory that people hot climates are more accustomed to the smell of butyric acid and that's why they like curry so much.

I have the same smell, it's not strong enough to smell like body odor so it just smells like turmeric. It's almost sweet smelling. I think people have just forgotten what human is supposed to smell like.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 8th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Just a question- salt crystal deodorants? Do they contain Aluminium? I thought they contained "alum" salts- my chemistry is way too rusty to be able to identify if these are natural aluminium salts, and whether these would be associated with the host of problems caused by aluminium...

I use an Australian brand- Moo Goo (based on natural products originally designed for cows apparently...) All it has in it is water, magnesium hydroxide (which is condies crystals isn't it?), corn starch, xanthum gum, witch hazel and lemon myrtle. Finally got my DH to try it- now he swears by it. After a day of physical labour, he still doesn't smell when using this. That was certainly not the case with other aluminium deodorants. :p

For my hair, I'm trying to do WO as well- but I find I need to use white vinegar rinses intermittently to make it work.

Ummm, I also only use water to wash the rest of me... Is that gross? My diet is really primal/nourishing traditions type and I find this just fits well with my ethos...:D

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM
True enough. :)
Oh, and I was just stating in general... Not everyone is lucky enough to have studied chemistry. I've taken chemistry classes, but still... :p
I know, :) I meant it as a funny- that I've take chemistry and I still can't understand it. I think I forgot to put LOL though. :o

Oh whoops! Yeah, I was looking at the shampoo, since that's really what I, personally, am trying to find. However, even as a lotion, I've found that retinyl palmitate sets off my dermatographia, so that'd be off the roster anyway. And not that I live and die by the Cosmetic Database, but they aren't particularly impressed by the stuff either: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/705545/RETINYL_PALMITATE_%28VITAMIN_A_PALMITATE%29/

at least you know what doesn't work for you! :) I almost never look at those lists, I'm very skeptical of their origins. The health check symbol can be bought, the 'importance of milk' stuff if paid for by the milk industry, I have no idea who is paying for the list and I wouldn't put it past ANY corperation- not even 'natural' ones to try to sway buyers their way.

I can't get past the idea of putting metals on my face- which is what minerals are. (or have, not saying that the mineral makeup is made of iron ore, but you know). They used to think arsenic was a great makeup too, so I'll probably wait fifty years before I buy some. LOL.

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 05:41 PM
Just a question- salt crystal deodorants? Do they contain Aluminium? I thought they contained "alum" salts- my chemistry is way too rusty to be able to identify if these are natural aluminium salts, and whether these would be associated with the host of problems caused by aluminium...

I use an Australian brand- Moo Goo (based on natural products originally designed for cows apparently...) All it has in it is water, magnesium hydroxide (which is condies crystals isn't it?), corn starch, xanthum gum, witch hazel and lemon myrtle. Finally got my DH to try it- now he swears by it. After a day of physical labour, he still doesn't smell when using this. That was certainly not the case with other aluminium deodorants. :p

For my hair, I'm trying to do WO as well- but I find I need to use white vinegar rinses intermittently to make it work.

Ummm, I also only use water to wash the rest of me... Is that gross? My diet is really primal/nourishing traditions type and I find this just fits well with my ethos...:D

Magnesium Hydroxide= Mg1H1O1= magnesium+hydrogen+ogygen (if my memory is correct, 2 oxygen would have been written as dioxide and it would then have been magnesium and water.)
nothing aluminium in there that I can tell. Aluminium is it's own Element, Al :)

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah, the Moo Goo brand has all the Aluminium Free stuff all over it, so I knew Magnesium Hydroxide wasn't a concern.:)

But every "Crystal" deodorant I find states is has natural salt crystals, including Alum, in it. Is this an aluminium salt?

FrozenBritannia
November 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, the Moo Goo brand has all the Aluminium Free stuff all over it, so I knew Magnesium Hydroxide wasn't a concern.:)

But every "Crystal" deodorant I find states is has natural salt crystals, including Alum, in it. Is this an aluminium salt?
Oh, sorry, I'm not thinking clearly this evening :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum according to there Alum is aluminium based yes.

Lissandria
November 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Has anyone tried the lush deodorants? or the CV ones? How do they work? I am interested in going Aluminium free.

Moor_tu_lyfe
November 8th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Oh, sorry, I'm not thinking clearly this evening :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum according to there Alum is aluminium based yes.

Thanks for that. It looks like potash alum (which most crystal salt deodorants are made of, I thought), at body temperature, it fairly water soluble too, which would result in free aluminium ions being absorbed in the skin wouldn't it? I remember reading somewhere in defence of these deodorants that aluminium in this form is too large to be absorbed. But if it is water soluble... any chemists out there who can help? I would love to go back to using these if they were safe (they work great!), but I just can't justify it with what little knowledge I have. Wikipedia says they have been used for ages through many cultures as a deodorant. Surely it would be known if it contributed to breast cancer or alzheimers etc wouldn't it?

Just noticed that it is used in some baking "powders". Is this what people are referring to when they state "aluminium free baking soda"? Or is there some aluminium in ordinary sodium bicarbonate as an impurity? I guess this gets this post back on track as some people wash their hair with baking soda :)

longcurlygirl<3
November 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I like shea moisture, and kinky curly knot today leave-in, and soap bars. I want to try desert essence.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Nope, no aluminum. According to the site "is free of harmful aluminum contaminants." :)

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Has anyone tried the lush deodorants? or the CV ones? How do they work? I am interested in going Aluminium free.

I've tried lush ones... But they didn't seem to work all that well. And didn't last long either. Some of them also have some weird ingredients in them... Not everything Lush makes is that great, I found... :(

Modarunner
November 8th, 2011, 10:56 PM
I love my cv shampoo bars, I just started using them and my hair feels so soft and shiny, so much better than when I was using hair products with chemicals in them.

moxamoll
November 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Amber_maiden Yeah, I was shocked to see that many Lush products have SLS (or some version thereof) in them.

FrozenBritannia Like I said, I don't take the EWGs word for everything, but I do like that they link into databases, so you can go read the studies yourself, if you are interested. They also link to any international usage regulations that they can find. I always find it interesting when the US govn't says "go ahead, it's safe" but in Europe use is restricted and in Japan it's highly restricted or prohibited. I've never seen it go the other way...

I have to say that I don't know to an absolute degree that the retinyl is the problem - but if I use several products that all cause a reaction and it's the only common ingredient, I feel reasonable about just avoiding it. :)

squee
November 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM
I do
Shampoo bars, herbs, avc, evoo :)

PixxieStix
November 11th, 2011, 06:13 PM
I love organic EVOO deep conditioning treatments for my hair, and am currently toying with going to an oil shampooing wash routine with 50&#37; organic coconut oil and 50% some kind of shampoo that makes it work but don't know if I'll find an organic chemical free one to do that.

I've been making my own organic whipped shea body butter as well, with shea butter (organic), coconut oil (unrefined organic), jojoba oil, avocado oil, sweet almond oil, and organic EOs. Omg it is amazing! My skin is always soooooo dry even though I hydrate myself from the inside well, and since I started using this stuff I haven't been having itchy leg problems, etc. I'm even using it on my face as a night time moisturizer because shea butter is supposed to help reduce/prevent wrinkles, and while I may only be in my 20s, I understand that beauty is cumulative, and what I do now affects me when I'm older! :P

As for soap, I use stuff from Lush and am still using Suave conditioner, but again, if I decide I really like the oil shampooing, I will just switch to that and only put a bit of coconut oil on my ends to keep them from getting tangly instead of using conditioner. Don't think my scalp was a big fan of the CO thing, and my hair ended up with a lot of buildup. :(

Orangerthanred
November 11th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Technically speaking, everything has chemicals in it. And everything is also natural, because all materials come from nature in one way or another. I'm not one to fall for the whole 'natural' or 'organic' thing.

Anyhoo, I don't do anything to my hair anymore. I rinse it with warm water for a few minutes. I let it air dry. Ta da.

MissEarlGrey
November 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I only use natural products. In nearly every facet of my life. Organic skin/hair care, organic cleaning products, organic food, organic cat food, organic clothing. I feel so good putting natural things into and onto my body, I just feel much more whole as a person.

Annibelle
November 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I do
Shampoo bars, herbs, avc, evoo :)

Your routine sounds like everything I'm currently really curious about. :p Do you do all of those things for every wash?

~BoHemiAngel~
November 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
ooh, i like this thread!!

i avoid (harmful) chemicals in all aspects of my life- try to eat all organic/free range, use chemical-free cleansers and detergents, that whole bit :D

For skincare, I love Dr. Hauschka products (i probably spelled that wrong ;)) and for my hair I would LOOOOVE to only use Ayurvedic herbs + sesame oil, but I haven't found a routine that works well for me yet. Right now I'm trying Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Moisture Retention shampoo, and it's pretty nice. Just a few (natural) ingredients, so gotta love that!