PDA

View Full Version : Advice on akward stage needed

jrk
November 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I am growing out an inverted bob. My longest layer in back is about 5" long. It looks horrid right now. I am getting regular trims, but how do I get through this without just cutting it?!

This was before my last trim, the shape is gone...there was too much damage. So the back is just kind of flat now :(
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/jrk7382/hair-1.jpg

Madora
November 8th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Pretty, hair friendly head bands or hair friendly barrettes?

Be patient, above all.

Changling
November 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
I'm right there with you. i shaved my head almost a year ago...Now I have all kinds of weird layers, long bits and short bits all over, but I'm just gonna grit my teeth and bear it until I can put it in a ponytail and benign neglect the heck out of it. Lots of people recommend headbands, but my hair likes to flop all over them and just look generally ridiculous. Lately I've been wearing a lot of bandanas - just trying to cover it up.

chou
November 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
It gets better! I'm growing out from a pixie so my back is longer than my front but perhaps you are experiencing something I also dealt with: the layers at the nape of your neck seem to grow faster and lose shape more quickly than any other part of your hair. As the rest of your hair gains length as you want it to, the back layers just become more awkward-looking. I had a mullet for a while there. There might not be too much you can do to completely the awkward stage because it will only end when you let your hair grow out enough.
You could instruct your stylist to only trim a tiny bit off of the bottommost layer at your nape so that the layers above can catch up and form a more even hemline. It looks like your layers now are stacked up the back of your head and that's a recipe for mulletization. If, during your trims, the layers continue to be maintained like this, it might make the awkward stage take much longer. FYI, I wouldn't recommend headbands for awkwardness at the back of the head. They're good for growing out bangs but they can accentuate mullet problems.
So, you could try mullet trims to ease the pain but any other trimming will just make the growth take longer. But really it will be worth it in the end! And if you trim less the awkward stage will be over before you know it!
There's a thread here for others who are growing out from short, and it's a great source of support: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18405&page=821

Above all: you can do it!

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Pretty, hair friendly head bands or hair friendly barrettes?

Be patient, above all.

I agree with this advice! :)

silverstars
November 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I'm growing out from an inverted bob too. I put it up as much as I could when I was in the awkward phase. I used pigtails and pins until it fit into a single ponytail :). Those stubby liitle pigtails were so cute :). I had to practically sit on my hands to stay away from the scissors at first, but it was easier to forget the unevenness after a while. When the back got to APL, I trimmed the front to match. Now I'm just growing out the weird layers from the bob and trimming them out every once in a while.

rowie
November 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I'm in the same phase as you are and I'm a guy! hehehe:rollin: At least you have more options than me. You can wear headbands, those little mini black barrettes, bobby pins, etc. I actually use those little black metal bendable clip made from scunci I think, when I want to tie my hair back into a pony tail ( more specifically, I use it to clip those hairs in the front not long enough to tie back).

Scarfs will as well work for you. In the summer I used bananas, but I think I stopped wearing them because someone told me I look ghetto wearing them. You have the option of buying all sorts of hair accessories. Heck you can go to places like Claire's and find all sorts of hair pieces that will accentuate your beauty during the awkward stages. Take advantage of being a woman in that you can get a way with a lot more pieces then I can ever pull off. :cheer:

spidermom
November 8th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Pull the sides up and back with pretty clips or barrettes (but not the french kind).