PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil Shine from TBS?

Mayflower
November 8th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Hi guys,

I can't seem to find regular coconut oil anywhere near where I live, but yesterday I stumbled upon this Coconut Oil Hair Shine from The Bodyshop. It's not pure coconut oil though.
These are the ingredients;

Hydrogenated Coconut Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), PEG-8 Beeswax (Emulsifier), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Lanolin (Emollient), Copernicia Cerifera Cera (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modif)

Can anyone give me some information about if any of these are bad stuff? Thanks!

Mayflower
November 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Nobody? :p

Trish in SC
November 8th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Mayflower ~ I don't know enough to answer, but I think I remember reading somewhere that beeswax can build up

Hopefully the "ones in the know" will answer your question soon! :)

spike316
November 8th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hey Mayflower ~ I don't know enough to answer, but I think I remember reading somewhere that beeswax can build up

Hopefully the "ones in the know" will answer your question soon! :)

I agree, it sounds like it might build up, other than that it doesn't sound bad to me. ^_^ Are you in the US? I can find coconut oil in my local health food store and a couple of the grocery stores around here. I usually get mine online though since I use it for massages and getting a 54oz container is more economical for me.

AnnaJamila
November 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
If you shampoo regularly it shouldn't be a problem but if you are trying to stretch washes or CO or something I wouldn't recommend it.

ktani
November 8th, 2011, 12:51 PM
It should be fine to use. The beeswax is not straight or pure beeswax. The hydrogenation keeps oils solid and helps prevent them going rancid.

Lapin
November 8th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hello,

May I introduce you to my very best friend?
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

You just plug in an ingredient and get all sorts of good info.

Lanolin is oil from wool, and while some people love it, I find it smelly and it makes me itchy and red all over.
:headache: like that face

Mayflower
November 9th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hello,

Lanolin is oil from wool, and while some people love it, I find it smelly and it makes me itchy and red all over.

What a great tip thank you!! I'm gonna use it to test my shampoos now haha.
Thanks to the rest of you too. I was almost going to buy it but then I saw a big tub of extra virgin coconut oil in the organic foodstore I usually go to:D. No idea why I've never seen it before. So I think I'm going to use the original stuff anyway!

evb
November 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I am wondering where you live if you do not mind my asking. I find coconut oil at my regular grocers in the health food isle or ethnic food isle as well as at health food stores. I do live in a largish city and have many ethnic grocers around as well. Coconut oil is used extensively in asian and latin cooking.

Slinks
November 9th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Hello,

I too love that you introduced us to this !! thankyou, great score :-)

Mayflower
November 9th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I am wondering where you live if you do not mind my asking. I find coconut oil at my regular grocers in the health food isle or ethnic food isle as well as at health food stores. I do live in a largish city and have many ethnic grocers around as well. Coconut oil is used extensively in asian and latin cooking.

I do live in a 'large' city (probably tiny compared to the larger cities in the US, I live in Europe) but the part I live in doesn't really have ethnic stores? Or really shady looking ones haha.
In drugstores I never found coconut oil though. Maybe I haven't been looking good enough.

evb
November 9th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have never seen coconut oil in a drug store myself. I find it in the grocery store. Of course I have no clue what your grocer carries but you might want to check there.

Slinks
November 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I do live in a 'large' city (probably tiny compared to the larger cities in the US, I live in Europe) but the part I live in doesn't really have ethnic stores? Or really shady looking ones haha.
In drugstores I never found coconut oil though. Maybe I haven't been looking good enough.

you need a healthfood store, not a drugstore ..

akilina
November 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
good luck in finding coconut oil! you could always try out the one you found. you cant go wrong with just trying it and if it doesnt work for you give it to a friend or take it back if they let you
i cant get coconut oil in my town...it sucks!! i havent been able to use mine because i threw it away. somehow it got contaminated and went bad.
i have to go to the closest biggest little city (Reno, Nv) but i try to avoid that place like the plague