PDA

View Full Version : YOUR hair on cones vs. off cones

Annibelle
November 7th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm interested in hearing what your hair is/was like on cones vs. off cones. :) Which is better for YOU?

I don't feel as if cones vs. no cones has really affected my hair-- I haven't used cones in five or six months.

shackleford
November 7th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I have really fine hair, and believe it or not, I don't think my hair looks good without some minimal cones! I have horribly layered hair and the only thing that makes the layers sit neatly is some coney serum, particularly Giovanni's Frizz Be Gone.

MrsGuther
November 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM
My hair goes through phases of loving cones and then hating cones. I think it depends on if it's really humid outside, the temperature etc. Right now it's hating cones because of the build up and I'm like BLAH!! What do I do? lol. I just did a deep conditioning and my hair still feels dry and like it has a slight buildup on it even though I did a clarifying wash. Hmmm... *Runs to bathroom to think of something new to do with hair to fix the problem!*

Juneii
November 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM
my hair without cones feels coarser than my hair with. and it tangles more. cones all the way! :)

isabelx
November 8th, 2011, 12:19 AM
With continuous use of cones my hair feels terrible. I haven't used cones for a few weeks now so if I used them now my hair would feel great, but then I'd have to switch back to no cones. I'm trying to completely be rid of cones though, I don't plan using them again.

erialc
November 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM
For me, I'm not sure if it's cones or if it's SLS that is the problem. Either of it (or both) makes my hair dry, poofy, frizzy and tangly, not to mention my scalp which turns into a flaky and itchy mess. So... is it the cones I should avoid because THEY in themselves are bad, or do I need to avoid them because I'll need SLS to get rid of them and THAT is what makes my hair go all weird?

MissManda
November 8th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Cones are a no-go for me, but sometimes I feel tempted to try a nice coney conditioner just on my length to see how my hair reacts.

When I use shampoos and conditioners that have cones in them, though, I look like I might as well have gone four or five days without washing. My hair gets very limp and stringy-looking.

Lucky
November 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I've gone back and forth over the years and have come to realize that my hair likes cones for the most part. It tangles less and is much less frizzy with cones. I also have layered hair right now and the cones help tame the flippy ends.

caiti42
November 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Cones in shampoo - itchy, greasy scalp

Cones in conditioner - no frizz, clean for about 2 days

No cones in conditioner - no frizz, clean for about 2 days

Cones in leave in - no frizz, clean for about 2 days

:) I can use either really but with co I prefer cone free conditioners for wash and length and a slightly coney leave in.

Gypsygirl
November 8th, 2011, 01:04 AM
I use cones on and off...when working at home I use natural, organic products but when playing a show or shooting photos/videos I use really nasty stuff like Pantene. ;)

Usually I love cony hair on day 1 because cones give me amazing shine and smoothness but if I were to use cones every time I wash, I'd have to wash every day or my hair would go slippery, flat and oily looking. So...for me, they are great for special occasions and extra shine but not something I would want to use all the time. I've never not used cones for longer than two months in a row, so I am not sure what would happen if I gave them up completely.

Dars
November 8th, 2011, 01:08 AM
For me I def. feel my hair behaves better without cones being a curly and all. However, when I became cone free I also ditched a lot of other past hair habits too. So I'd say the improved condition of my hair is a result from all of the things I did.

DancingQueen
November 8th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Interesting, I was actually just about to post something like this. :)

I think my hair prefer cones. I have been off them for a few weeks, and my hair is just impossible. It gets more frizzy, it tangles more and just looks dry and boring. Of course, my curls does not help the tangle problem. I think I will try to go back to cones.

Alaia
November 8th, 2011, 02:31 AM
My hair likes me to switch it up a bit.

It's more shiny with cones, more slippery. It gets greasy slightly faster but not really noticeably faster.

It's softer without cones, and for some reason usually thicker as well (possibly due to lack of slip even though my hair is slippery anyway).

Raiscake
November 8th, 2011, 03:18 AM
It's straighter and flatter with cones. No-cones give me volume and fluff, which I love. I have no issues with shine or tangles either way. I have both types of products so I guess I go with whatever goes with my mood.

2peasinapod
November 8th, 2011, 03:28 AM
My hair definitely does not like cones. It looks shiny at first, then it gets dry and brittle. I've also gotten more waves since going cone free. I used to think I had bad hair before I found LHC, now I get compliments!

To give you an idea, here is my hair when I first joined (drugstore shampoo and conditioner):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4320&pictureid=55645

and after one month of Burt's Bees shampoo and conditioner:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4320&pictureid=58926

(linking because the pictures are massive - I didn't know how to resize then :o)

you be the judge ;)

Badwolf
November 8th, 2011, 03:28 AM
The reason I cut out cones was because I cut out sulfates, so I'm not sure if it's the lack of cones or the lack of sulfates that makes the biggest difference in my hair. Before, my hair was dry, frizzy, and had an audible crunch to it. Without, it is smooth, shiny, soft, and actually has curls instead of frizzy waves.

RadiantNeedle
November 8th, 2011, 03:29 AM
On cones: Easily de-tangled, shiny, oily looking, stringy, limp, even with regular clarifying.
Off cones: Harder to de-tangle, slightly frizzy, WAVY! CURLY! LIGHT! THICK!

xoerincolleen
November 8th, 2011, 03:29 AM
My hair is a lot smoother and tangles less easily with cones, but my scalp gets really dry and feels a lot better without cones!

wandlimb
November 8th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I have to use cones - my hair doesn't look washed without them and tangles terribly.

morrigan*
November 8th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Cones on long term made my hair dry and brittle, now i'm without cones more than year and i just love it :D.

pepperminttea
November 8th, 2011, 05:26 AM
'Cones: Easier to detangle. More slippery and sleek. Dries out easily, especially the ends, sometimes to the point of splitting if left unchecked. Pleasantly heavier, but still has the ability to be floaty.
'Cone-free: Bush-like; too light. Much harder to detangle. The smooth feeling is less artificial, like soft vs. sleek - both good, but different sides of the same coin. Still dries out but is much easier to replenish.

I can get shine either way. :D Amine-functionalised silicones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones) seem to work best for my hair.

freckles
November 8th, 2011, 05:47 AM
My hair on cones looks good, but to me it just doesn't feel like real hair. It might lay nicely, look shiny, but when I touch it, it feels dry and plasticy. When it gets wet, it feels sticky (??) and I feel like for me the tangles are the same or worse with cones.

So I stick to no-cones. With a good cone-free condition, my hair feels soft and moisturised and whether wet or dry it feels silky and nice. I get a little less shine, but I like to touch my hair when it's cone-free, and it's important to me that my hair FEELS nice.

Lilli
November 8th, 2011, 06:45 AM
Cones make my hair very shiny and smooth, and the right cones like in Herbal Essences products, will give my hair some heft. Cones disguise the breakage. However, cones flatten my hair, and if I use them too many days in a row, result in tangly, dry hair. I am not no cone nor am I all cone - I just mix it up.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 06:52 AM
My hair is definitely better with cones. It becomes easier to manage, isn't as frizzy, etc etc etc

turtlelover
November 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM
My hair loves cones, but I occasionally give it a break and use things w/out cones.

kitschy
November 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
My hair has more static with cones. ... And less root lift.

Lilli
November 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I can get shine either way. :D Amine-functionalised silicones (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-amodimethicone-and-other-amine-functionalized-silicones) seem to work best for my hair.

Thanks for the interesting article. Is cyclopentasiloxane one of these?

coffinhert
November 8th, 2011, 07:24 AM
My hair feels better without cones. But I also changd other things (more henna, less shampoo) so i can't isolate the improvement.

chou
November 8th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Now that I've been off cones for a few years I can really FEEL them in my hair when I use something coney, like this slick plastic-y coating. They also relax my waves to almost nothing. Whereas without cones I get spirals around my face, with cones I get one loose s-shape over the length my hair with flips at the ends. It's kind of frumpy looking at chin length.
I also swear that they reflect light in such a way as to make my hair appear a shade lighter.... but I may be imagining that.
Perhaps I'll use them when my hair gets longer because they really do tame my hair's bushiness. But blegh, the coated feeling!

ladyfey
November 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I've gone back and forth, and decided that my hair prefers cones.

Mayflower
November 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Cones: slippery, easy to detangle, flat, no lift at the roots, thin-looking, straight, unnatural shine

No cones: light and voluminous hair, not so easy to detangle, "fluffy", bouncy

Cainwen
November 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
I tried no cones for a couple months this summer. My hair did ok, but having gone back to cones, I'm pretty sure my hair prefers cones, and I prefer my hair with cones. My curls are more defined, my hair has more volume, it's soft and sleek, doesn't look greasy even on day 4 or 5.

racrane
November 8th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I like the look of cones short term: It's easier to style and is very shiny. But the build-up is awful on my fine hair. That said, I use cones once a month for nice events so it's easier to style. But I prefer no cones on a regular basis. My hair, though fluffy, is light and is wavier. It also doesn't get as greasy - I can go three days without washing as opposed to two.

lapushka
November 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Haven't really noticed a difference. :shrug: The only thing I do have to watch out for is that the conditioner isn't too rich because it will weigh my hair down if it's too moisturizing, but cones / no cones doesn't seem to matter much.

celebriangel
November 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM
cones: Hair looks limp, stringy and greasy, 2c/3a wurls and spirals descend into a 1c underlayer with a 2a/2b canopy. More flyaways, as if my hair is upset that it can't curl properly. Scalp breaks out and flakes. hair can feel brittle sometimes.

No cones: Hair is voluminous, clean, shiny, with happy spirals. I can go much longer without washing, with no need for shampoo.

You can see why I dislike cones. I tried a coney shine spray just on the lengths, but my scalp somehow still hated it and after one day of looking okay, my hair was not happy.

I'm going back to conefree :)

AspenSong
November 8th, 2011, 10:36 AM
My baby fine hair without cones is bouncy and light and and super soft....
However with cones, it's limp and tangly.
The last time I personally used products with cones was last year on a trip...I just used what was at my families house and after a week my hair no longer felt like my hair. I seriously was ready to hack it off, it felt stiff and dead to me. But, once home and after some good clarifying, and going back to my trusty Vo5, I was back to normal.

My hair is definitely not a fan of cones. =/

summergreen
November 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
My hair with cones is fuller, heavier, and hangs nicely. Without cones, its like a cloud of straight frizz.

dRummie
November 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Cones take out nearly all my curl and flatten volume down to nearly nothing.
Interestingly, SLS does the same.

dRummie
November 8th, 2011, 10:55 AM
[double post]

aisha.christine
November 8th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Like other previous posters, I cut out SLS and cones at the same time, so I'm not positive as to which my hair disliked (although it's likely that it hated both.)
With cones, my hair looks fine right after I wash, but long term usage makes my hair stringy, flat, and flattens my wave pattern.
Without cones my hair is shiny, soft, and bouncy. It is more manageable, although it is harder to de-tangle, and my hair stays clean longer.

jojo
November 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Cones for me give slip, shine and are great for my monster tangles, no cones give me more volume and my waves are more pronounced! I like to use a coneless conditioner and then i add a coney serum for the tangles.

archel
November 8th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Lately I'm using cone free shampoo and conditioner and using a coney serum afterwards ONLY on my ends. That way my roots don't get flat and greasy looking and my length stays tangle free and silky. I do have to clarify more often, though.

holomi
November 8th, 2011, 01:54 PM
With cones: Straight hair, heavier, smoother hair.
Without cones: Wavy, lighter weight soft hair.

I like both equally, and still have to deal with tangles with both. Both cones and non-cones make my hair dry at the ends on day 3, unless it is a shampoo/conditioner with a silicone toward the end of the ingredients list. Those work exceedingly well for me. Two examples are Joico and Jason Biotin products. Love them.

Diamond.Eyes
November 8th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I recently stared using cones again. I used to use the Burt's Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit & Sugar Beet shampoo and conditioner for a while, and it was okay :shrug:, nothing spectacular really. Then I recently started using the Organix Vanilla Silk Shampoo and the Coconut Milk conditioner (or the Herbal essences Hello hydration conditioner for when my hair is in need of some extra moisture) and my hair has responded amazingly. It just has so much more life. It's soft and sleek and seems to stay clean longer. And it's a dream when it comes to detangling; I have virtually no hair breakage when I use cones. I do clarify my hair once a week with an ACV rinse to avoid build-up, but my naturally straight hair loves cones. :)

Hiriel
November 8th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I recently bought a coney conditioner. I haven't used cones in ages (since before I knew what cones were, it was completely accidental), but recently my hair has become more tangly, and I wanted to see if cones helped. My hair seems to be softer, and much easier to detangle. It still tangles, but it's easier to get rid of the tangles without physical violence... It's also more slippery, and for some reason less heavy, so it doesn't stay in updos in quite the same way. I have to let my hair dry without brushing or combing to check if it's more or less wavy than before.

cmg
November 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
On cones: Easily de-tangled, shiny, oily looking, stringy, limp, even with regular clarifying.
Off cones: Harder to de-tangle, slightly frizzy, WAVY! CURLY! LIGHT! THICK!
Yes, this is essentially what my hair does too.

I can get shine either way. Amine-functionalised silicones seem to work best for my hair.
Interesting link! This is confirming what my hair feels like. Most conditioners dont work or are not enough on my hair, while at the same time they make it limp. The shampoos/condishes that work for me contain Amodimeticone and/or Behentrimoniumchloride.

Someone mentioned static. This I have a serious problem with. Total lift-off sometimes. Scary. I dont know if this changes with/without cones. I will have to keep this under observation upcoming winter. :eye:

Now that I've been off cones for a few years I can really FEEL them in my hair when I use something coney, like this slick plastic-y coating.
Yes, exactly.

I also swear that they reflect light in such a way as to make my hair appear a shade lighter.... but I may be imagining that.
I've been thinking this too.

Only time I felt cones were allover good, was when I had really short haircuts. Then they keept it less frizzy and the curls defined/clumped instead of just .... bleh... spun sugar. But natural products can do the same thing for me. And it tangles either way. So I prefer going without cones. And I hate using other peoples products, they create havoc in my hair.

spike316
November 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM
My hair feels like doll hair with cones and then a couple of days later it ends up super dry and crunchy on the ends. But it is shiny!
Without cones it feels more natural, is slightly less shiny and is easier to put in buns and stuff.

supbanana
November 9th, 2011, 01:09 AM
I had awesome hair until I tried no-cone, and my hair threw a fit and looks absolutely terrible. I gave that a shot for a couple of months before giving up and going back to conditioner with as many cones as I could find. I do clarify once a month to microtrim, s/d etc., and then load 'er up again. :)

longhairedlady
November 9th, 2011, 01:49 AM
I dont know why, but once a year or so I stupidily go cone free and my hair ends up looking like straw. It always seems like a good idea at the time, but I ALWAYS go back to my cones. My hair looks great with cones, so cones it shall get!

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 9th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I personally, dont know what my hair prefers. They both do the same for me. Cones, do make my fine hair look dirty quicker though, ill give it that.

NativeGirl
November 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
I've tried to go the cone free route, but my hair isn't fond of it. Now that my hair is past waist, I need to the cones to help prevent tangles, especially with the Oklahoma wind.

Safira
November 9th, 2011, 04:17 AM
With cones my hair feels so soft, silky and tanglefree at first. After couple of hours my hair is tangled all over, dry and lifeless.

Sometimes I use cones with leave-in, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Orangerthanred
November 9th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Cones do NOTHING for my hair. They don't make my hair shiny or soft or anything. They just sit there and make my hair poof up. They're completely useless for my hair type.

So I don't use them.

evvie
November 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
since where I am I cannot find a sulfate free poo or a cone free conditioner I have to use cones.

My experience with 1a oily hair and cones is: yes, for shine and sleek feel, but only in a wash-off conditioner, and only from the ear till ends. Any near the scalp makes them flat and greasy quickly. Build up is a problem too.

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I dont think a couple of months without cones is enough to tell what the hair really likes or not. It takes alot longer for some people, for the sebum and hair oil production to normalize.

patienceneeded
November 9th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Without cones my hair is poofy, sticks together and tangle-prone. I cannot run my fingers through my hair without cones. That said, I did go SLS and cone-free for about 5 months (mostly CO washing during that time). It was not bad, but is wasn't great either. I have gone back to light cone usage and moved into a CWC instead of plain CO. I use a cone-free conditioner on my whole head as my first "C" in CWC, and a SLS-free shampoo for the "W" and then a coney conditioner on the length only for the last "C." I've been doing this for month now and it has been working great. No build-up issues either. I also use a coney serum (by Aveda) for added slip and shine. I CWC every other day.

luxepiggy
November 11th, 2011, 03:40 AM
On cones: happy, low maintenance, wash & go hair
No cones: pigtastrophe. Tangly, un-shiny pigtastrophe (>(oo)<)`

Now you know why I'm such a 'cone junkie (^(oo)^)v

joflakes
November 11th, 2011, 03:46 AM
On - At first, lovely and shiny but almost too silky feeling.
Later on...greasy lifeless bleh.

Off - More waves, more texture, more life and feels better. Can go longer without shampooing!

duchesswannabe
November 11th, 2011, 04:25 AM
On - At first, lovely and shiny but almost too silky feeling.
Later on...greasy lifeless bleh.

Off - More waves, more texture, more life and feels better. Can go longer without shampooing!

I second this!

Sunny_side_up
November 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
It varies with me, my hair has an on off relationship with cones. For a good few weeks i was enjoying the feel of my hair after using a shampoo containing cones(herbal essence) Then lately it was getting dull looking and weighted... build up! I used a SLS shampoo to clarify and my hair feels well and truly stripped after that:eek: so i put conditioner on the neck length down. Never the top part as it would make my hair flat, itchy scalp and need a wash quicker.

With my hair type i decided that a little conditioner after my sls free shampoo wash helps with detangling, protecting my ends and a pleasant silky feeling when my hairs naturally dry. So as of late my routine is cone free shampoo(sls free) and then a nice smelling timotei conditioner:D

Buddaphlyy
November 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I can immediately feel the difference when I use cones versus no cones. No cones leave my hair dry and tangled, but a little shinier. Cones provide slip and seem to preserved moisture.

PinkyCat
November 11th, 2011, 11:08 AM
On - Dry rough canopy, frizzy, fluffy angry hair.

Off - Shiny, soft, happy happy hair. Color sticks better too.

Helenae
November 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I hated being off cones - no products without cones managed to make my hair look silky.

jaine
November 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
With cones my hair is more slippery and that's nice... but it can't hold a curl from my Caruso steam rollers, and I like using those, so I'm cone-free at the moment.

Also my back gets acne when I use cones. Even though I always washed my back after rinsing my hair.

sisi33
November 12th, 2011, 06:50 PM
WITH cones, it's, well, it's icky. Like Night Of The Living Dead icky (okay, maybe not that icky... :rolleyes:) But it's flat, greasy looking and feeling, just gross. Also, more sems to fall out...
WITHOUT cones, ahhh, so much nicer! Body with defined (for my hair type) curlies, shiny, feels nice, and does not get gross for days!

owlathena
November 12th, 2011, 07:29 PM
My hair doesnt react horribly to occasional cones (if I shower at a friends house or want to use up my stash), but in general it definitely prefers cone-free. It "lays" better.

girlcat36
November 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I unwittingly used cones for years, and my hair was awful. I have been cone free for five years now.

On cones: frizzy, dry, broken off on the ends, flyaway, bacne

Off cones: shiny, better curl formation, finally able to attain some length

BrightStarPoet
February 12th, 2012, 03:46 PM
With cones: hair has "slip", less volume (not a bad thing for my thick hair), easier to detangle, ends look shiny and smooth, hair has the "hang" that I like, doesn't interrupt the natural wave/curl in my ends. Won't hold a curl from Caruso rollers.

Without cones: soft, fluffy, can tend towards velcro ends (even after SMT). Tangles more easily, but this is better with oil. This could be due to damage on my ends that I am growing out. I'll find out this afternoon if it holds a Caruso steam curl without cones. :)

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
My hair doesn't seem to care so I use non cone condish to prevent build up. My favorite cone condish uses dimethicone (Sebastian drench), so I use it sparingly.

SHADOWSCODE46
February 12th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Medium/Coarse hair here-- my hair is very cone dependent. No cones equals soft fluffy hair... that eventually rises towards any moisture, frizzes, dries out & then tangles due to lifted cuticles. Cones = soft, shiny, silky, smooth & hydrated hair that retains moisture with smooth cuticles so any tangles slip out. I just have to watch out for buildup.

kjirstiben
February 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Cones... it's been a while, but from what I remember, my hair drank conditioner to offset the shampooing that I had to do, and my hair went floaty, frizzy, flyaway and tied itself into knots in a slight breeze! Not to mention the scalp issues and bacne...

Without, I have to work on it (tangle teezer, oils, SMTs, WO and CO washing), but I can get to soft, silky-feeling hair that will do what I want it to (and detangle reasonably easily).

From the first page:

For me, I'm not sure if it's cones or if it's SLS that is the problem. Either of it (or both) makes my hair dry, poofy, frizzy and tangly, not to mention my scalp which turns into a flaky and itchy mess. So... is it the cones I should avoid because THEY in themselves are bad, or do I need to avoid them because I'll need SLS to get rid of them and THAT is what makes my hair go all weird?

I don't know which is the culprit, but I suspect the sulfates; going cone-free with SLS shampoo seems to make my scalp freak out similarly, and red wines -- which have sulfate compounds in them -- always give me headaches, so I know I'm sensitive.

melusine963
February 12th, 2012, 06:37 PM
It's hard to tell how different my hair is without cones, since I stopped using them at the same that I made a bunch of other changes to my hair care routine. No cones did make my hair a lot harder to detangle when it was dry, and quite a bit frizzier, but then I discovered coconut oil as a leave-in conditioner and that's helped enormously. So all said I don't miss cones.

ohhiitssteph
February 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Oooo, I like this topic!

On 'Cones: Less curly, more wavy -- my spirals are completely gone but I get big, flippy waves. A little bit more shine, in the right light. Feels somewhat softer at first due to all the slipperiness, but after three or more consecutive uses gets VERY dry -- the buildup stops my already low-porosity hair from absorbing the limited amounts of moisture it can manage to take in. My hair is great the first time I use 'cones after I haven't for a while, but after repeated uses it's terrible. They're like a once every two/three weeks kind of thing, if I decide to use them at all.

Off 'Cones: A few more spirals, overall loose waves, lots of body. Still shiny, but in a more natural kind of way. Very moisturized and soft, especially after deep treatments and coconut oil usage :) Also, without 'cones, my hair is finally STRONG. I used to not be able to grow my hair past like, armpit length at the very best. Now I have hair that's passing boob length and I love it! My hair is so damage resistant, and I have maybe two or three split ends on my hair at most.

Darkhorse1
February 12th, 2012, 07:21 PM
I find I can use cones on and off in conditioner in the winter, but in the summer, I need it to protect my hair from the elements/humidity.

I need cones in my shampoo--when I used one without, trying to shampoo my hair was like using sand. Ew. Hair was dirty, itchy and dry. Weird huh? How some people have that result with them.

Sillage
February 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I love cones! They make my hair much smoother, shinier and easy to manage. Shampoos with cones seem to make an especially big difference for me. My hair is always much less frizzy when I use them.

ladyshep
February 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
My hair used to love silicones but now it just makes my hair a staticy mess. Goodbye cones.

Annibelle
February 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I used cones the other day for the first time in eight months, and like always, my hair really couldn't tell much of a difference, except for that my hair was a bit straighter after using cones. I clarified, though, and went back to my regular routine. Cones make my skin break out, so if they're not giving me fabulous hair, I don't see the point in using them. :p

Lisabunny
February 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
My hair definitely needs cones. Without it it becomes a wild fly away mess.

elbow chic
February 12th, 2012, 10:08 PM
My hair is much less tangly with 'cones, but they do inhibit its wave pattern, especially on the canopy, which needs all the help it can get. My underlayer is reliably 2c but my canopy is like, 2crap on cones. You can tell it wants to do SOMETHING, it just doesn't know what.

But without them, detangling is a chore.

I was 'cone-free for quite awhile there but my hair started getting longer, and tanglier, and so I finally went back. I was wearing my hair up 90 percent of the time anyway, who cares how your canopy lays when your are wearing a braided bun 6 days a week?

So right now, I'm using the pantene and loving it. Maybe I'll try to go coneless again this spring, after a fresh trim to keep the tanglies at bay.

Cirafly24
February 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM
My hair with cones: Super slippery and shiny, easy to detangle, slides out of updos, looks limp and/or thin.
My hair without cones: Appears thicker and more voluminous, slightly more difficult to detangle.

I prefer not using cones, although my Head & Shoulders shampoo has a cone way down on the ingredient list.

ScarlettAdelle
February 13th, 2012, 12:03 AM
On cones:
Soft, shiny, as close to manageable as it gets

Off cones:
May as well cut it off, can't even get a comb through it. Tangles like mad.

Mommyof4
February 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM
My hair loves SLS and cones.. problem is: My hair looks flatter and thinner with cones.. but, is way easier to comb through. I don't use cones because I like to feel my thickness as much as possible after having short, thinner hair for so long. I use shampoo about 2 times a week.. when I need to really clarify, I use Dawn soap.. it works wonders and I have no itching from it.. My daughter has fine, silky, easily-tangled hair and her hair ADORES cones.. she needs shampoo (diluted) every time we wash and then we let cone condish sit on her hair for about 10 minutes, then rinse and if we use anything else or change up the routine, her hair is tangly within hours after drying..

I must say, I never noticed a truly "damaging" effect from cones.. But I change products so often.. it might be because I never tried specific ones long enough..?

gazelle
February 13th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I discovered that my hair does not like conditioner, even coney or not, when I use oil at the same time. If I am oiling after the shower, I won't use conditioner in the shower. If I have used conditioner already, I won't use oil.

Oil over conditioner (coney or not does not make difference) my hair does not look natural and feels crunchy

PriscillaCherel
February 13th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I need cones, then my hair feels soft and I got my waves/curls back.

Woods Nymph
February 13th, 2012, 07:07 AM
I use a slightly 'coney leave-in, just on the last 6" of my length. If I got any higher, my hair is sure to let me know to never do that again! I tried no 'cones for about 2 months & my hair was not a fan. So then, like any sensible person, :rolleyes: I went a little overboard with the 'cones...aaaand my hair, again, was not a fan. But I think I've found a happy-medium!

In2wishin
February 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM
My hair without cones:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/PBlength2.jpg

My hair with a few drops of pure dimethecone on the last 8" or so:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/eclctcmnd/Coneyhair.jpg

hisprincess
February 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
The main 'pro' of cones was the slip and detangling, but my hair formed way more tangles with cones. Sometimes by the end of wash day my hair would already be a matted mess. Without cones I can go 3-4 days without it getting too tangled. Also going cone-free gives me volume, and I need that!

**Just a PSA, it was really hard for me to give up Dove Intensive Repair (cones), until I found Shea Moisture (no cones). I highly recommend it. :)

Chamomile betty
February 13th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I need cones or my hair would be a mess. I tried going cone-free but my hair tangled so much. I do however use hair gels that are cone-free. My thick coarse wavy/curly hair loves cone conditioners. So I try to balance. Honesly, it's what works for your hair and makes caring for it the easiest on you.

Moonlake
February 13th, 2012, 03:45 PM

kittengirl
February 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I stopped using cones last fall, and my hair loves me now! I'm trying to grow it out, and working with the hard water at my dorm, but it is still happier off cones. I use Organic Excellence Wild Mint shampoo and conditioner, and it's completely natural, and my hair likes it. My ends are getting stronger and it's easy to comb with my tangle teezer right after washing, hard water and all!

dwell_in_safety
February 13th, 2012, 04:01 PM
With: white dots of death, tangles, poof
Without: no more white dots, settled down, can go forever without washing and it still looks great (though that's more 'cause I went CO, which is fantastic for my hair)

Cones don't really do anything great for my hair. Not using them has made a noticeable difference.

Rybe
February 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
For me over all I'd say my hair likes cones. But some coney conditioners are still terrible, where as some cone free ones are pretty nice! It all depends. But I do sorta like the extra layer of protection since it's so fine and I don't exactly have dryness problems! Sadly I'm trying to find natural products...and cones aren't especially natural :)

smartblonde21
February 13th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I'm kinda stuck between the two.
On cones: My hair is easy to detangle, soft, smooth, but somewhat flat and greasy looking.

Without cones: HARD to detangle, soft, flyaway, voluminous and clean looking

I'll stick with cones, just because it makes it easy to detangle.

Firefly
February 13th, 2012, 05:06 PM
It's sort of a love-hate thing. Every now and then I'll use cones for a while-- either in conditioner or shine serum. It always works great at first, then my hair starts to rebel, even with clarifying. I go off for long periods and then when I want a lot of slip and shine again, back to the cones I go.

kmoc123
February 15th, 2012, 11:05 AM
My hair has to have cones!!! I have recently tried a clairifying wash, rinse with baking soda and a second rinse with acv...my hair is very upset with me....CONES ALL THE WAY!!!

Pinkster8
February 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM
My hair cone-free was a NIGHTMARE!!! It was pretty soft, but shed so easily - I pulled loads of hair out in the shower and when I combed. I was cone free for about a week and a half and I had to go back to cones. My hair immediately improved - it had slip, shine and smelled good again :)

icallitbliss
February 21st, 2012, 06:53 PM
I remember when I was using cones a lot my hair started to fall out. Then again, I think I attribute that mostly to my hair being over-processed with dyes at the time, so breakage was probably inevitable.

Since I have virgin hair now, my hair seems to have no problem with cones. Or any kind of shampoo, really. There are some that make my hair better than others, though.

I guess I just use cones when I really want some moisture/slip.

roxee
February 21st, 2012, 06:57 PM
my hair need cones, without it's like wire wool :(

Neya
February 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Cones in condish: messy tangled dry dull
Cones as leave in : awesome for certain products(organix Argan oil) but then I have to use real shampoo (left with dry mess after a few washes)

Letting cones go was hard at first. Now I co and do a couple shampoos a week with real soap shampoo bars(lye based). I've found coconut oil or castor oil are just as good leave ins as coney stuff, but I don't need to use leave ins anymore for awesome hair.

Eden75
February 21st, 2012, 08:02 PM
I had always used cones until Christmas time. My mother-in-law gave me some shampoo with very minimal cones and conditioner without and my hair is very happy. It likes cones and seems to stay cleaner longer but I am going to see if I have good luck without the cones throughout the summer and the riding season. If I don't notice any damage from being in a helmet for 12-15 hours a week, I will stay cone free. If I do get damage, back to cones, at least until ride season is over.

elthia
February 22nd, 2012, 05:10 AM
With...my hair feels like plastic, won't stay up no matter what. My hair is greasy, and I have horrible acne.

Without...I have a dry flaky scalp, my hair is soft and silky, I can stretch washes.

Either way my tendency to tangle seems about the same, but I do oil my length, so I'm not sure if that is a factor.

Littlewing13
February 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM
With - hair feels smoother but drier somehow

without - at first felt rougher, but over time seems to soak in more moisture.

whitedove
February 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM
I have only had 1wash day so far with no cones, been using them for years.
Swapped my usual oil (with cones) for coconut oil and so far so good. my hair doesnt feel as plastic but theres a little less shine.
My hairs isnt as strait as it it with cones but the slight wave I can live with.
Even with cones it takes a day for my hair to settle. Going to give it the two weeks see how my hair is then - see I am learning :D

jojo
February 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
My hair is much better without as my hair has more volume and the waves look better, having said that I don't read labels if my hair likes a product, it likes it! I do however find myself liking a product that has cones unfortunately my results with non-cone products are more consistent. Occasionally cones are better for my hair!