PDA

View Full Version : W shaped ends...

kaelle
November 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Hi ladies! I have an update...I went to the shop (I know a big no no, but I am clueless on how to straighten my hair :-( advice gladly welcomed! ) and I got it washed, deep conditioned, blow dried, pressed and flat ironed ...essentially fried. But I had bittersweet results - My hair is longer than the last time I had it done BUT it appears I'm suffering from breakage because when she was done the ends are incredibly thin (I already have fine hair but this was ridiculous) and my ends have a W shape to them. Advice please - Should I cut to even it out, or gradually trim? I'm not worried about the shape because I wear my hair up anyways, but I'm worried the breakage/splits will go all the way to my scalp. Have any of you had this issue? How did you rectify it?
Merci beaucoup!

P.S. how do I add pictures saved to my computer?

Annibelle
November 7th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Are you sure it's breakage? My hair seems to naturally grow in a more W type of shape. :(

I think you can only add photos that are from a URL. You can either get a photobucket account and post the link to the photo (that's what I do), or post the link to a LHC album. :)

tamchronic
November 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
If the ends feel significantly thinner than before you went in, it may very well be breakage. Take a close look at your strands. Do you see split ends and white dots where there were none before? If so, I'd say the heat probably damaged your hair to some degree.

It could just be your natural hair pattern, though. Some people have 'fairytale ends', where the hemline tapers and almost 'fade' out in the W-shaped manner you describe. I see that your hair type is a 4a, so perhaps suddenly having your hair flat and straight revealed the thinness of your ends that was previously disguised by the texture.

Take a close look and assess whether your hair really was damaged or not. To rectify this problem, I know some people have regular 'mircrotrims' to thicken out their hairline. I confess I'm new here and don't know too much about that particular technique, so you may want to look around here for information.

katsrevenge
November 8th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I think some of the really curly/kinky people use twist outs and rag rollers to straighten some. Check out the Kinky/Curly 4s thread. They would know more then I.. I bun mine damp if I want it straighter.

I have uneven fairytale or W ends but that is because I really haven't trimmed or cut in a long time.

To add pictures from your computer you first upload them into an album on this site or photo-bucket. Then use your mouse to right click on the picture and select the choice that says something like "copy image location". (It says that in firefox browser.) Then, click on the button that looks like a little mountain and has 'insert image' pop up if you hold the mouse over it. Paste your link there. When you post it will turn into your picture.

MrsGuther
November 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Maybe a small trim would help combat the w shaped hemline?

Gypsygirl
November 8th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Check out this site:

http://www.tinypic.com

It lets you upload pics and gives you an url for them without having to create an account first. (But keep in mind that unlike with a photobucket account set to "private", they will be visible to strangers, and not just on here.)

Just upload your picture, then copy the "img code" and paste it into your message.

Hope that helps! :)

Yame
November 8th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I vote fo gradual trim. My hair seems to naturally grow unevenly too, but I will even it out when I get closer to my mini goal. If I trimmed everytime the ends didn't look "right" I'd constantly be cutting off all the length I gained.

GlennaGirl
November 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Little trims periodically, bit by bit, at least maintaining length and on a "good" month, adding a smidge of length at at time. :)

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the photobucket tip! I don't think I can have an LHC album yet because I'm still new:)

That's something for me to think about - if my hair grows in a W shape - because I don't use heat often (the last time was in May)...but so far my ends had been kinda V shaped not W...hmm.

Are you sure it's breakage? My hair seems to naturally grow in a more W type of shape. :(

I think you can only add photos that are from a URL. You can either get a photobucket account and post the link to the photo (that's what I do), or post the link to a LHC album. :)

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Thank you, I will do that. My first trim will be today:)

Little trims periodically, bit by bit, at least maintaining length and on a "good" month, adding a smidge of length at at time. :)

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:42 PM
So true Yame. I'm glad I posted this question first because I was tempted to even it out.. I'll do micro trims until the shortest part reaches my goal length then I'll even it out. Thanks!

I vote fo gradual trim. My hair seems to naturally grow unevenly too, but I will even it out when I get closer to my mini goal. If I trimmed everytime the ends didn't look "right" I'd constantly be cutting off all the length I gained.

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your advice:D I'll do a search and destroy and microtrim the strands that look thinned out.

If the ends feel significantly thinner than before you went in, it may very well be breakage. Take a close look at your strands. Do you see split ends and white dots where there were none before? If so, I'd say the heat probably damaged your hair to some degree.

It could just be your natural hair pattern, though. Some people have 'fairytale ends', where the hemline tapers and almost 'fade' out in the W-shaped manner you describe. I see that your hair type is a 4a, so perhaps suddenly having your hair flat and straight revealed the thinness of your ends that was previously disguised by the texture.

Take a close look and assess whether your hair really was damaged or not. To rectify this problem, I know some people have regular 'mircrotrims' to thicken out their hairline. I confess I'm new here and don't know too much about that particular technique, so you may want to look around here for information.

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Thank you:D

I think some of the really curly/kinky people use twist outs and rag rollers to straighten some. Check out the Kinky/Curly 4s thread. They would know more then I.. I bun mine damp if I want it straighter.

I have uneven fairytale or W ends but that is because I really haven't trimmed or cut in a long time.

To add pictures from your computer you first upload them into an album on this site or photo-bucket. Then use your mouse to right click on the picture and select the choice that says something like "copy image location". (It says that in firefox browser.) Then, click on the button that looks like a little mountain and has 'insert image' pop up if you hold the mouse over it. Paste your link there. When you post it will turn into your picture.

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Good idea, I'll do microtrims until they even out...a major cut will be too drastic for me

Maybe a small trim would help combat the w shaped hemline?

kaelle
November 8th, 2011, 02:47 PM
So helpful, thanks!

Check out this site:

http://www.tinypic.com

It lets you upload pics and gives you an url for them without having to create an account first. (But keep in mind that unlike with a photobucket account set to "private", they will be visible to strangers, and not just on here.)

Just upload your picture, then copy the "img code" and paste it into your message.

Hope that helps! :)