PDA

View Full Version : Baby shampoo for growth?..

princessashley
November 7th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Not sure if there is a thread like this out there, but recently i have been noticing a lot of talk about gentle shampoo for your hair ( especially from my friends. ) One lady i know has advised me to try using johnson's baby shampoo for hair growth. Claiming this stuff really made her hair grow like never before!Being skeptical ( of most external products) for hair growth i was doubting her enthusiasm for this product.

Let me say now that I am also am a strong advocate for using organ and natural based hair care products and i ( unless under certain circumstances) will always use natural. In fact now that i have been using organic for a while i feel guilty if i cheat and use something that is not or cones on my hair! ( not saying cones are bad ofcoarse :) )

Anyways, I was thinking that my friends great hair success could have been because baby shampoo is a very mild cleanser, as it is for an infants sensitive skin and hair. Maybe she had been used to harsh detergents or bad products before and the reason for such growth was the change to a more mile gentle cleansing agent, thus the increased rate of hair growth? Other than that i can't think of much else that could have caused such great results from her using this product. I might as well give it a try though! as i have seen that they have a new " natural" line of baby shampoo if you go onto there website. If anyone has experienced favorable results from using a baby shampoo please feel free to share! I would love to know more about these products and results :D

-ash

Modarunner
November 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I haven't heard too many good things about baby shampoo around here. While it is mild on the eyes I've actually heard that its very drying on ones hair. I'm sure some other people who are more knowledgable will chip in. Although, different products work for different people, so you never know what will work for you until you try it.

Teazel
November 7th, 2011, 10:26 PM
baby shampoo is a very mild cleanser, as it is for an infants sensitive skin and hair.

Actually, baby shampoo is not necessarily mild. From what I've read, the difference is that it's alkaline so it won't irritate eyes.

StormVixen
November 8th, 2011, 04:19 AM
as you mentioned Organic and Natural I thought I would mention "Johnson and Johnson" are a not very nice company that tests on animals... here is a link (http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm) that has a little list of companies who do and do not test on animals...

Loreley
November 8th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I tried almost every brand of baby shampoo that are available in my country and there are only 3 of them which are really mild (they are sulfate-free). I think the rest is even harsher than a usual shampoo. I also tried Johnson's baby because I love its smell but it was VERY drying. :(

LovingLife
November 8th, 2011, 05:00 AM
I have a friend with the most beautiful good condition waist length hair :) and she told me that she used kids shampoo and conditioner for awhile due to the chemicals in it which strengthened new growth..

LocustSpawning
November 8th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I saw a Youtube video not long ago about growing long hair and a woman on it said she used baby shampoo and it made her hair grow like crazy.

I really am sceptical, to the point where I really am not even tempted to try. This is rare for me.. I want to try everything. :D

PrairieRose
November 8th, 2011, 06:21 AM
I just recently heard on the news of Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo being connected with formaldehyde!

Lapin
November 8th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I use Aveeno's extra-gentle baby shampoo & wash, mostly because I am extremely allergic to plants and minerals. I do find it drying, but not overly so. My hair seems to like alkaline though, since I also have success with BS. I go easy on the amount and massage it into my roots and scalp - no flakes, no allergic reaction, and my hair is good to go for a day or two.

I haven't been doing this long enough to notice growth, but I fall on the side of believing there's not much you can do externally to make your hair grow faster. Nourish it from the inside, pamper it on the outside!

Libbylou
November 8th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I have to agree with Lapin, to nourish from the inside out. You can google foods for healthy hair.
I take the omega 3,6,9 supplements and eat alot of peanut butter and yogurt. I have been told I have healthy hair every time I get my bangs trimmed.

Amber_Maiden
November 8th, 2011, 08:23 AM
as you mentioned Organic and Natural I thought I would mention "Johnson and Johnson" are a not very nice company that tests on animals... here is a link (http://www.uncaged.co.uk/crueltyfree.htm) that has a little list of companies who do and do not test on animals...

I don't use, and wouldn't use it based on this. I knew this before, and won't go near the stuff.

It's also not that natural, or organic- check the ingredients list- full of chemicals!

I don't understand why someone would want to put this on their kid... But that's just me... I'm just a hippy lol... :shrug:

jojo
November 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Theres quite afew thread on the site which discuss baby shampoo, personally I wouldn't recommend as it really dries hair out. Adult hair is a lot different to baby hair.

Baby shampoo works by opening the hair shaft, so it is good if you want to strip a hair dye out of your hair but if you have no dye to strip it will basically well just strip your hair and make it dry and unmanageable. If you do use make sure to finish with a ACV rince to close of the shaft and help your scalp.

giuditta
November 8th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Baby's have a differend PH value than adults, and so do the baby shampoo's. You would definately need to ACV afterwards.... I wouldn't recomend using it, the are far better and more natural mild shampoo's out there.

celebriangel
November 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Baby shampoo is harsh - in the same way that baking soda is harsh, because it is uncomfortably alkaline for he hair. It is made at a pH7 so that it won't irritate eyes, but human hair and scalp perefers a pH of between 5 and 6 (this does not sound like a big difference, but pH is a logarithmic scale so pH6 is 10x more acidic than pH7!)

Though I note that some people seem to have success with shampoo bars, which are similarly alkaline - in fairness they are a very gently cleansing method. I'd say, if using baby shampoo works, do so - but follow with an ACV rinse just as you would if using shampoo bars.

princessashley
November 9th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing! I feel as if i should not try this after doing more research on my own, although i have seen an organic burts bee's " baby bee" shampoo at target the other day. I researched some things on johnson& johnson and yes I most def will not be contributing to any animal testing ( as long as i am aware of it that is) :) as for alkaline, I'm not sure I know much about that.

Demetrue
November 9th, 2011, 09:26 PM
J & J baby shampoo totally dried out my hair - it felt really gummy and strange. My hair needs acidic cleansers to give it slip.

blondie9912
November 10th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Baby shampoo isn't mild, it still has sulfates. It just doesn't irritate eyes as much :)

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 04:56 PM
You know Burt's Bees is owned by Clorox, right?

Rosethorn
November 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Last time I tried baby shampoo my poor hair was dry as straw and super staticky. (Shudder) In all fairness though, that was a long time ago and it's possible my hair has changed... but I'm still not brave enough to try it again.

Elia
November 10th, 2011, 05:30 PM
You know Burt's Bees is owned by Clorox, right?

That doesn't mean they put it in the products :p It's still natural. Although I would prefer it to still be independent...oh well. You can't legally say something is natural or organic without it actually being a certain percentage. Although you can have it in the name, or sound like it anyway so it's misleading, like organix products, which aren't organic (and they suck imho) -___- And I actually used the baby bee shampoo and really like it, but reading about the alkaline thing is making me iffy now D:

missdelarocha
November 10th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Our hair, skin and food etc sit on a PH scale. Here's a link (http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/2008/09/understanding-shampoo-through-ph-scale.html) about the pH scale from a hair point of view, some of it is a bit confusing (you don't really need to understand it all) except that like mentioned above, it is logarithmic, meaning each time you go up a level the acidity or alkalinity increases by x10, which is pretty important because 6 - 7 doesn't seem different but it really is!

Anyway hope that clears it up a little.

ETA: How cute she links to LHC on one of her other posts listing SLS free shampoos hehe, so we are a good resource!
You can probably search in the threads for it (her link is linking to a random shedding thread in LHC that doesn't have a shampoo list).

Danni5173
November 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Amber has it right- :). I never bothered to read the label on those shampoo's until I had kids...I didn't use it on either of mine- just Castile soap if that- babies you can really clean with just water- until they get older.

To this day- that crap isn't anywhere near me or my kids- so harsh...

BlazingHeart
November 10th, 2011, 07:02 PM
That doesn't mean they put it in the products :p It's still natural. Although I would prefer it to still be independent...oh well. You can't legally say something is natural or organic without it actually being a certain percentage. Although you can have it in the name, or sound like it anyway so it's misleading, like organix products, which aren't organic (and they suck imho) -___- And I actually used the baby bee shampoo and really like it, but reading about the alkaline thing is making me iffy now D:

Oh, I'm well aware. I work in the legal field. All I'm saying is that if you're concerned with the practices of a company as well as with what's in it (which some of the posters seemed to be indicating), Burt's Bees isn't what it used to be.

swearnsue
November 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not Burt's Bees! Say it ain't so! Oh well, they are too expensive anyway:(